Nate Silver's Tournament Forecast

I could be wrong, but I thought his site was originally focused on sports, but then moved to politics.

He was originally focused on baseball. Bernie Miklasz was talking about that a few weeks ago. I believe Bernie used to have him on the air. I may be wrong, but I don't recall him projecting NCAA basketball.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. There is some really interesting numbers and that should be the focus of this thread. Sorry I threw out Karl Rove's name. I thought it was an amusing opposite of Nate Silver. I had no idea he still had any protectors out there who would be so sensitive. Nate caught a lot of crap, but he was clearly on the right side of history. No bias. No spin. Just objective data.

Back to the numbers, UCLA (6 seed) and Akron (12 seed) have the same chance of making the Sweet 16. I know UCLA had a big injury, but that one caught my attention. The only first round game that appears close to a true toss-up game is Illinois/Colorado.

Come on Ace. You knew exactly what you were doing and should have known how it would be taken. And ... it's not like you wouldn't be as sensitive and very quickly to any derogitory or even humerous knock at a liberal.

Come on Ace. You knew exactly what you were doing and should have known how it would be taken. And ... it's not like you wouldn't be as sensitive and very quickly to any derogitory or even humerous knock at a liberal.

Geez skip. Karl Rove, really? There are plenty of jabs at "liberals" on this board and you certainly make your fair share. Lighten up.

Geez skip. Karl Rove, really? There are plenty of jabs at "liberals" on this board and you certainly make your fair share. Lighten up.

I don't mind the jab. I thought it was funny. Not quite as funny as you side stepping your intent though. Seriously, did you not think it would garner a response? Are you new to the board? You know you have the reputation as the defender of all things liberal and you are quick to jump in to call out anyone making a remark even remotely negative to liberals. I realize you aren't the only one and conservatives have theirs that play the same role on the board. I'd love for you to find the post where I initiate the political discussion? Personally, I think it'd be great if all republicans and democrats in politics lined up and jumped off the Empire State Building as I sign that they were trying to take the proper steps to help our country out. I don't care which party goes first.

Rich, you're one of the worst when it comes to political jabs. And if you can't make fun of the ridiculous pundits (either side), then yes, you need to get a sense of humor.

For some, it's hard to let go...

thgr6Gx.gif

I don't mind the jab. I thought it was funny. Not quite as funny as you side stepping your intent though. Seriously, did you not think it would garner a response? Are you new to the board? You know you have the reputation as the defender of all things liberal and you are quick to jump in to call out anyone making a remark even remotely negative to liberals. I realize you aren't the only one and conservatives have theirs that play the same role on the board. I'd love for you to find the post where I initiate the political discussion? Personally, I think it'd be great if all republicans and democrats in politics lined up and jumped off the Empire State Building as I sign that they were trying to take the proper steps to help our country out. I don't care which party goes first.

No, I did not think that conservatives would STILL be defending Karl Rove after his election night meltdown. Even Fox thought the guy made a fool of himself. I had no idea he was still a sacred cow. I guess old habits die hard. I don't defend all things liberal. You are way off. What I do call out is when people will call for political speech to be banned, but they will ONLY do it when somebody expresses an opinion they do not agree with.

Regarding Nate Silver, the guy was ripped in some circles for simply providing unbiased, objective, scientifically based analysis. Meanwhile, somebody like Rove, with no objective or fact-based methodoly, was put in the role of election prognistactor by a national network. Well, you saw the results. It was funny. IMO, he is the anti-Nate Silver, so the thought of him scientifically breaking down the NCAA field like Silver has done is amusing. I underestimated how many fans Karl Rove still has.

No, I did not think that conservatives would STILL be defending Karl Rove after his election night meltdown. Even Fox thought the guy made a fool of himself. I had no idea he was still a sacred cow. I guess old habits die hard. I don't defend all things liberal. You are way off. What I do call out is when people will call for political speech to be banned, but they will ONLY do it when somebody expresses an opinion they do not agree with.

Regarding Nate Silver, the guy was ripped in some circles for simply providing unbiased, objective, scientifically based analysis. Meanwhile, somebody like Rove, with no objective or fact-based methodoly, was put in the role of election prognistactor by a national network. Well, you saw the results. It was funny. IMO, he is the anti-Nate Silver, so the thought of him scientifically breaking down the NCAA field like Silver has done is amusing. I underestimated how many fans Karl Rove still has.

Things are always more unbiased and objective to the party that the results favor. I don't have a clue what the guy thinks. However, if his results favored dems, conservatives would find a way to discredit them and wouldn't care if their method was factual or not. If the supposed scientific unbiased results favored the repubs, liberals would find a way to discredit it regardless of the facts.

I doubt anyone is particularly a Karl Rove fan, but he is conservative so unless this is a new Ace reading the board for the 1st time, it shocks me that you wouldn't have known that some posters would come to his defense.

I find it funny how liberals think Fox is a complete joke and conservatives think CNN and mostly all the rest are a complete joke while both sides put their spin on any subject and neither really care about facts. It wouldn't take many conservatives 5 minutes to come up with 50 news stories from CNN that were misleading and untrue and it wouldn't take many liberals any longer to come up with the same thing regarding Fox. The entire media is based upon money, not facts or objectivity.

Sorry boys, I've been skiing Whistler all day with McCarthyIrish7 (not Joe)...missed this thread.

Rove's PAC is done for. Even as a conservative, I'm steered more towards MaverickPAC. Has a much better grassroots outreach program for the 18-35 demographic.

skip, msnbc is the evil empire. cnn is minor league compared to them. but i agree with your points completely.

both parties suck not because of their positions but because they dont have anyone's best interests at heart except their own. while i admit my thoughts are more in line with a "republican" i consider myself only a conservative now as i dont want to be included in the mindset of political deals that only promote getting re-elected which is what i believe all democrats AND republicans ask themselves first when they consider their position on a topic.

take away all of their pay, beneftis and perks and then let's see who the real partiots are that are left to truly "represent" us.

Not aiming this at merely Skip and/or Ace in particular, but let's please self-impose a moratorium on political debate. Sometimes things are read into statements that the author didn't intend.

Not aiming this at merely Skip and/or Ace in particular, but let's please self-impose a moratorium on political debate. Sometimes things are read into statements that the author didn't intend.

Fair enough. And I tried to steer away from it after my initial comment, which I thought was pretty harmless. I suggest everybody look at Silver's numbers. I'm sure that those who are into wagering will look closely.

+1 Agreed. That is why it was rather amusing to see him go off like that. EVEN Fox has distanced themselves from Karl Rove. I guess Rich didn't get the memo. It has nothing to do with politics, Rove simply deserves ridicule for being an idiot with his unscientific "prognostications". I didn't think anybody would come running to Karl's defense. Geez :wacko:

BULLSH!T

Didn't you read where the reason he's picking Liberty is due to Obama requiring the Big 6 conference schools to share points with the less fortunate schools. The new point allocation system will be as follows

Non Big 6 schools will start with 10 points. Though none have been earned yet, they will just borrow them from the China Nat'l team. The points will have to be paid back at a rate of 3-1 by the children of the current players

For each point scored by a Big 6 school the Big 6 school will get .67 points and the remaining .33 will go to the non BCS school as required by the new Fair Share Point Allocation Law. It is being said that Obama doesn't have the right or the authority to just make this a law, but Harry Reed has promised the NCAA directors a 650 million dollar stimulus package along with free condoms and cell phones in return for their cooperation.

all that thinking works well with golf handicap.

Fair enough. And I tried to steer away from it after my initial comment, which I thought was pretty harmless. I suggest everybody look at Silver's numbers. I'm sure that those who are into wagering will look closely.

That's what I took from your post. Rove like him or hate him he was all over predicting Romney winning even up to the night before. also love or hate he ain't exactly impartial. Silver took all kinds of heat from the right up to voting day when all he's doing is reporting his finding.

That's what I took from your post. Rove like him or hate him he was all over predicting Romney winning even up to the night before. also love or hate he ain't exactly impartial. Silver took all kinds of heat from the right up to voting day when all he's doing is reporting his finding.

Make this the last politically-oriented comment, please.