C7 News and Rumors

SLUDrew

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the number commonly referenced in the Holylandofhoops and C7 message boards.

Yeah, unfortunately they are wrong. It is not a terribly significant number in the grand scheme of things but it is still in the mid to high 6 figures.

Yeah, unfortunately they are wrong. It is not a terribly significant number in the grand scheme of things but it is still in the mid to high 6 figures.

Not trying to be a jerk but how do you know the $50,000 figure is wrong (and it may be) if you don't know what the number is yourself. Mid to high 6 figures? $500,000 to $999,999?? That's quite a range don't you think?

For a momment, forget about who's may be added (and when) to the C7. Does anyone know for sure who will be playing basketball next year in the same league as the C7 - presumably called the Big East still? I ask b/c it sure sounds like alot of the delay is still being caused by the football schools not being certain when they are leaving. Sounds like ND is out but not sure of the others. To me, it sure seems that the C7 really aren't driving the bus yet, but instead, are still waiting for the football schools to decide if they are in or out for next year and how much money are going to take with them. In short, if this is just about the C7 adding teams, this whole thing would be finalized a long time ago.

Not at all. When is settled. The football schools are out as of June. The C7 owns the conference completley.

For a momment, forget about who's may be added (and when) to the C7. Does anyone know for sure who will be playing basketball next year in the same league as the C7 - presumably called the Big East still? I ask b/c it sure sounds like alot of the delay is still being caused by the football schools not being certain when they are leaving. Sounds like ND is out but not sure of the others. To me, it sure seems that the C7 really aren't driving the bus yet, but instead, are still waiting for the football schools to decide if they are in or out for next year and how much money are going to take with them. In short, if this is just about the C7 adding teams, this whole thing would be finalized a long time ago.

Not trying to be a jerk but how do you know the $50,000 figure is wrong (and it may be) if you don't know what the number is yourself. Mid to high 6 figures? $500,000 to $999,999?? That's quite a range don't you think?

From talking to a MVC athletic director. There is a number but it will most likely be negotiated up for a short term exit..

Also I am not terribly excited about the talk of X and Butler walking out of todays meetings. A tribune reporter tweeted that they walked out in order to prevent talk of raising the conference exit fees. Another bad sign for SLU.

At this point I think it is a done deal that the conference is going to 10 next season and we aren't a part of those 10. Every report trends that way.

I haven't seen a single report suggesting they won't go to 12 eventually but there have been some reports that simply don't mention what happens in the following year. To some, that implies doom on SLU's part. Still, nearly every report that does mention 2014 says we are the likely candidate.

Keep the faith people, we are going to get in.

To be clear, that article is entirely consistent with all of the recent reports suggesting 3 in 2013 and 2 more in 2014 it just says nothing about the following years. Silence does not mean they are stopping at 10.

To be clear, that article is entirely consistent with all of the recent reports suggesting 3 in 2013 and 2 more in 2014 it just says nothing about the following years. Silence does not mean they are stopping at 10.

It clearly says they will announce a ten team league. Why would they not announce the next 2 teams if they already knew who they wanted. Announcing now saves the league or teams $2 Million.

Top it off with SLU not walking out and no announcement next week stating 12 teams, and this is very very troubling.

I'll wager the league will stay mum on adding any more teams after they announce. Something like, we're not ruling anything out, but right now we like the makeup of the league. Who knows what kind of deal they made w/ Fox and if Fox can apply pressure to add more teams for more coverage. Thanks a lot MU and DePaul. You owed us one from when CUSA started to crack.

I'll wager the league will stay mum on adding any more teams after they announce. Something like, we're not ruling anything out, but right now we like the makeup of the league. Who knows what kind of deal they made w/ Fox and if Fox can apply pressure to add more teams for more coverage. Thanks a lot MU and DePaul. You owed us one from when CUSA started to crack.

Marquette is scum and always will be. Anytime you do business with scum, you risk getting burned.

If this is true, it would represent gross failure of leadership and FLB and CM would have to be fired. I dont think there can be any other option. I would hope that FLB wouldnt be able to survive this.

It clearly says they will announce a ten team league. Why would they not announce the next 2 teams if they already knew who they wanted. Announcing now saves the league or teams $2 Million.

Top it off with SLU not walking out and no announcement next week stating 12 teams, and this is very very troubling.

It says they will announce a 10 team league for 2013-2014.

"If all goes to plan, and few expect it won't, DePaul and the so-called Catholic 7 will swell into a 10-team league by the middle of next week. The additions of Xavier, Butler and Creighton should become official by Wednesday or Thursday, according to sources familiar with the talks. And thus the new Big East would take shape for 2013-14."

If we are going to parse every word written by these often sloppy journalists, why wouldn't the statement have been written like this, if it was 10 on a permanent basis?

"If all goes to plan, and few expect it won't, DePaul and the so-called Catholic 7 will swell into a 10-team league by the middle of next week. The additions of Xavier, Butler and Creighton should become official by Wednesday or Thursday, according to sources familiar with the talks. It is expected the Big East will remain at 10 teams for the foreseeable future."

You know why not, because its going to 12 in 2014, consistent with every other recent report on the topic. This reporter just chose not to speculate about the additional 2.

I am not concerned with the part about 10 vs. 12, because I do think it will be 12. I am concerned that these reports are now saying that there won't be #11 and #12 announced. That spells trouble. It may be worse than the coaching uncertainty as far as recruiting goes.

Let's say we are left out. There are no real good options available. Yes these things are constantly changing but as it stands can we possibly stay in a conference that will only have Dayton and Duquesne between St Louis and Philly??

Just as troubling would be us replacing Creighton in the Valley.

Both would be the death of the program.

I am not concerned with the part about 10 vs. 12, because I do think it will be 12. I am concerned that these reports are now saying that there won't be #11 and #12 announced. That spells trouble. It may be worse than the coaching uncertainty as far as recruiting goes.

We might not be announced on Wed of next week but I'd be stunned if they don't announce 11 and 12 by June 30 because the exit costs are all based on that deadline. I still think it makes the most sense to announce all 5 together but there is no way this thing drags beyond mid summer (and yes it would suck for recruiting if we don't get clarity soon).

If Butler and X are walking out, are we sure there will 10 next year?? Personally, I have no doubt that Butler and X will be part of C7 next year and that this is just a move (probably necessary) about them getting money. It does, though, show the greed and arrogance of the C7.

Of course, the frustrating part is that the C7 apparently have a real media package -- with games actually on TV (not computers) and on TV channels that most ordinary people have (not limited to sports bars with 1,000 channels and those with premium sports packages). The A10, of course, remains a joke with feeds on the third tier channels, etc. and hopes of pirated computer feeds!! At the same time, if only the A10 had a real/comparable media package, I would much rather kick out some lesser A10 teams, retain Butler and X and then add Marquette and GTown and stay in the A10. As others have mentioned, there is nothing special about Providence, Seton Hall and St. Johns, DePaul or for that matter, Villanova. Without the benefits of a top-tier conference, it would not take long for Villanova to fall below LaSalle and St. Joe's or St. John's to fall below - Fordharm (well, maybe I went too far there:)

By comparison, we have seen time and again in the corporate world that it isn't the bigger company that takes over the smaller company or that corporate headquarters are moved for strategic purposes. Instead, it is often the older/retiring CEO of the bigger company agreeing to be taken over and it is the wife of the CEO who says the headquarters should be moved because she would rather live in Chicago or NY rather than St. Louis. Too bad the A10 cannot simarily taken over the C7!!