Holy Land rumor

bk18

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this makes sense from a TV Market standpoint. Obviously, Fox is paying the bills here and if they say we care more about market size than anything else, SLU gets in since we are the largest market to be added. Still, at this point, I'm more concerned about how we're doing on the court, and the sting of the Rhody loss still hurts.

Similar to the rumor about a Wednesday a few weeks ago being the announcement date, it seems like all the rumors are starting with someone at Providence.

Unfortunately the Providence started rumor was wrong before so hopefully this time it's right.

Similar to the rumor about a Wednesday a few weeks ago being the announcement date, it seems like all the rumors are starting with someone at Providence.

Unfortunately the Providence started rumor was wrong before so hopefully this time it's right.

The Big East/Priest/Whatever is headquartered in Providence, so I guess it makes sense that the bulk of the rumors are coming from folks there.

Wow, I was not familiar with that Holy Land of Hoops message board. A lot of arrogance there, but I guess that's to be expected.

Agreed. I haven't followed the Holy Land board very closely, but to me it seems like the Creighton fans are the worst. I can understand some arrogance from Georgetown & Marquette or even Butler & VCU with their recent final 4 runs. What does Creighton have to be arrogant about? They have generally been the best team in the Valley and then lost in the 1st or second round or the tournament. Being the best in the Valley is like being the smartest kid a special school.

Wow, I was not familiar with that Holy Land of Hoops message board. A lot of arrogance there, but I guess that's to be expected.

Agreed. I haven't followed the Holy Land board very closely, but to me it seems like the Creighton fans are the worst. I can understand some arrogance from Georgetown & Marquette or even Butler & VCU with their recent final 4 runs. What does Creighton have to be arrogant about? They have generally been the best team in the Valley and then lost in the 1st or second round or the tournament. Being the best in the Valley is like being the smartest kid a special school.

hillarious.........but true.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BillikenFriar" data-cid="337203" data-time="1358943092"><p>

For what ot is worth, I heard a similar thing at game last night.<br />

<br />

Fox is pushing for 12 and will get its way. Slu, Butler and X have all agreed to join. vCU is not getting an invite.</p></blockquote>

So you've heard only 10 have agreed? the Holy land post said 11 with Dayton. I hope we can all here some real non-rumor news in the next couple weeks and call this a done deal.

I don't want to be sifting through rumors until 2015.

-oh it would be great to see thousands of posts of 'this is what the conf should look like' or 'this is what the divisions should be' or 'this school needs to be included' or 'this school should not be included' or 'it should be a conf that covers the entire country' or 'we should join the valley' :blink:

He didn't mention Dayton but this was just a conversation at half time, not an AP wire story. He knows I am a SLU guy, so that was the part of it he was emphasizing. Next home game, I am literally going to ask Fr. Shanley about SLU. Yes literally. No point in tenure if you can't harass the boss about the basketball team.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't want this conference if we're not going to do it right. Need to dramatically increase the budget and hire a big time coach or we'll be on DePaul's level forever. I'd rather be the top team in the weakened A10 or MVC and make the tourney as a 8 or 9 seed every year than finish in the bottom 4 of a big conference every year with maybe a good 2 or 3 year stretch every so often.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't want this conference if we're not going to do it right. Need to dramatically increase the budget and hire a big time coach or we'll be on DePaul's level forever. I'd rather be the top team in the weakened A10 or MVC and make the tourney as a 8 or 9 seed every year than finish in the bottom 4 of a big conference every year with maybe a good 2 or 3 year stretch every so often.

Yeah, bite off your nose to spite your face....

I'm telling you it's the conference. First we get the conference, then we get the coach... THEN we get the ________.

I'm telling you it's the conference. First we get the conference, then we get the coach... THEN we get the ________.

I could agree with that.

Trust me I want to be in this conference. I just want to do it right.

This conference would:

- dramatically increase our revenues through a better t.v. deal, increased attendance, higher giving by boosters, etc. In turn it will allow us to spend more on top coaches, travel, recruiting, etc. We will do it right.

- Allow for recruiting top level players. We lose so many players to the big conferences and t.v. That disadvantage disappears with this conference. Sure, we'll still lose the elite local players to the Duke and Kentuckys of the world but we'll have as good a shot at a mid-level Big 10 or ACC caliber guy as any team.

- the schedule will be far more attractive in this conference.

- the myth of being in a small conference and dominating for a sustained time is just that a myth. You can count on one hand the number of programs nationwide that have been able to do that (Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier, maybe Creighton). One only needs to look at Carbondale to see how quickly it can blow up on you if you have a few bad years or hire a bad coach.

Being in the right conference may prove to be tough in 2014-2015 when we have graduated all our top players and are starting the existing freshman and sophomore classes, but that will just be a speed bump. With the resources we'll have to hire a new coach and recruit we won't be down for long.

our revenue will be what 5-6x what it is now by switching to this conference. biondi isnt going to not raise the budget with that amount of additional income. you folks seem to think he is a complete idiot when the truth is that he is one of the shrewd businessmen i have every observed.

will he just turn his head and let the department spend it all? no. and he shouldnt. fiscal responsibility still has to reign regardless of the income coming in, but to take the stance nothing will change on the other side of the ledger is just crazy.

This conference would:

- dramatically increase our revenues through a better t.v. deal, increased attendance, higher giving by boosters, etc. In turn it will allow us to spend more on top coaches, travel, recruiting, etc. We will do it right.

- Allow for recruiting top level players. We lose so many players to the big conferences and t.v. That disadvantage disappears with this conference. Sure, we'll still lose the elite local players to the Duke and Kentuckys of the world but we'll have as good a shot at a mid-level Big 10 or ACC caliber guy as any team.

- the schedule will be far more attractive in this conference.

- the myth of being in a small conference and dominating for a sustained time is just that a myth. You can count on one hand the number of programs nationwide that have been able to do that (Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier, maybe Creighton). One only needs to look at Carbondale to see how quickly it can blow up on you if you have a few bad years or hire a bad coach.

Being in the right conference may prove to be tough in 2014-2015 when we have graduated all our top players and are starting the existing freshman and sophomore classes, but that will just be a speed bump. With the resources we'll have to hire a new coach and recruit we won't be down for long.

All good points and I understand. And I'm just asking this honestly, why can't DePaul ever compete in the Big East?