Crowd vs. Rhode Island

HusakAttack

...was pathetic. Kwamain and Cody hit big shot after big shot in the second half to put us up in crucial situations only to have the crowd go back to doing nothing while we are playing defense. I know this has been a topic before and some people don't like to cheer but an atmosphere like Saturday night provides zero home court advantage.

Sh!t has definitely not gone our program's way this year but all these players have taken the brunt of it while we watch it. There's only 6 home games left and I think these kids have earned us getting loud in support of them to close out the season.

The crowd was big, not loud. Not loud at all. Players were having to try to pump people up the whole second half. If you think the crowd was loud for the situations we were in then you're just flat out naive.

Put a product out there that gets people excited and it wont be an issue. They let a 5 win team come in and close out.

The players need to be as excited and ready to play New Mexico as they are to play RI and Santa Clara. This team does not seem to bring it every night so why should you/they expect the fans to.

Put a product out there that gets people excited and it wont be an issue. They let a 5 win team come in and close out.

The players need to be as excited and ready to play New Mexico as they are to play RI and Santa Clara. This team does not seem to bring it every night so why should you/they expect the fans to.

Thats where it would be nice to have a real coach to motivate the team. What a waste.

Please. The crowd would not have played defense. The crowd would not have made or missed a shot. The crowd would not have called proper timeouts nor diagrammed proper plays to attack a zone. The issue is more on those running between the lines and occupying that first row of seats. To even attempt to focus on the crowd is smoke screening it.

Right now, I see a team that is an unknown on the road, and has the aura of a home court advantage debunked by the likes of Santa Clara (#77) and Rhode Island (#154).

Crowd antics are overrated. If they mattered,the opposing team wouldn't make a free throw in the second half of any game played on the road.

The

Please. The crowd would not have played defense. The crowd would not have made or missed a shot. The crowd would not have called proper timeouts nor diagrammed proper plays to attack a zone. The issue is more on those running between the lines and occupying that first row of seats. To even attempt to focus on the crowd is smoke screening it.

Right now, I see a team that is an unknown on the road, and has the aura of a home court advantage debunked by the likes of Santa Clara (#77) and Rhode Island (#154).

Crowd antics are overrated. If they mattered,the opposing team wouldn't make a free throw in the second half of any game played on the road.

Taj - you are correct the crowd will not physically miss a shot but if you think that loud crowds do not cause missed shots then you could not be further from the truth. Loud crowds can absolutely confuse a offense and mess up communication and forced rushed shots.

So only root for them when they win? If you have watched college bball for more than a season you know that every team has hiccups in conference play. Look at Temple and Umass losing to bad teams at home on Saturday as well.

What you are describing is simply a fair weather fan. I root loudly and proudly for my team when they are in a dog fight against a bad team not because I'm happy with how they are playing but because it can make a difference.

I really totally disagree. I thought the crowd was as loud as I've ever heard it. At one point I was even covering my ears it got so loud. Several people around me quit even try to talk to each other because we couldn't hear each other. I thought the crowd was totally into that game.

Maybe it's where you sit. But down by the Biliken bench, trust me, it was incredibly loud and boisterous. Plus, there were more people standing towards the end of the game than I've ever seen standing at a Billiken game. I know Xavier and Dayton get pretty wild crowds and larger crowds, but given the number of people that were there, I thought this crowd was outstanding.

The team did miss a golden opportunity to send people home very excited and pumped to see the next game. I worry what attendance will be at future games after this.

Attendance is a step in the right direction, but the atmosphere continually disappoints. With under two minutes I stood up to cheer and was yelled at and called an by an approximate '65 alumnus. I finished out the game on my feet.

I'm not quite '65, but I almost yelled at the dorks in front of me for the last few minutes and for the whole overtime. It's one thing to stand spontaneously; it's another to do so when no one else does. (And that game in particular was bipolar enough that people had full right to collapse back into their seats when we missed defensive stop after defensive stop.)

i stood and yelled, clapped, whistled more than i have all season Saturday. but to insist i should stand just to stand? dont see the point. in fact imo, nothing is more effective than the spontaneous act of everyone rising to their feet after a great play. that cant happen if everyone is already standing.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Cowboy" data-cid="337046" data-time="1358792261"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="billikenfan05" data-cid="337042" data-time="1358791942"><p>Crowds still don't understand that you have to pick the noise level back up even after a 'silencing' shot.</p></blockquote>

<br />

-is this a SLU point or does it apply to all crowds? I think it is more universal than a SLU phenomenon</p></blockquote>

Thanks for making this point. It's obvious, but some people think that SLU crowds are just inherently bad and different than all the other 329 D1 crowds.

A lot of close basketball on television over the weekend/past several days...and a lot of people standing toward the close of the game.

It seems that many of the posts on this board are about bringing relevance and legitimacy to the program. Coach, facilities, conference/national success, etc. No doubt, atmosphere and fan participation play a role in this. And I'm certain fan participation, or lack there of, is an issue at most of the 329 DI schools. I'm not pointing fingers and telling people when to stand (although participation during the announcement of the starting line-up is laughable), or for that matter, insist they stand at all. But don't insult me for standing in the last minute and a half in the game, when a strong contingent of the lower bowl is standing. Kwamain was begging for people to get out of their seats.