GDT: Savannah frowns

bonwich

Take the win and go hide. Embarassing. But let me say this ----- Horace Broadnax was a GENIUS. With no chance in hell to win, he almost pulled it off. Constant substitutions. Changing defenses. Timeouts to stop our rhythm. An expanded zone to take away the exterior because we SUCK on the interior. Eleven guys with 55 fouls to use. A press that took us ten seconds to beat thereby cutting our offensive set time into two thirds. No one able to run a break, let alone finish one. Running set and involved offensive plays to make us work and keep the ball out of our hands. It's a damn good thing they can't shoot. They spanked us on the boards---- 30 to 19 with an 11 to 3 edge on the offensive end. Good thing they only were 1 of 5 from three (but they didn't employ the three) and more importantly 10 of19 from the line. Make 75% of the free throws and they get an additional 5 points, making it a one possession game. The exact place legneds (and upsets) occur.

Trap. Toss it out and learn from it but move on and don't let the door hit you on the way out of the arena. Crews did nothing. I heard him on the radio during the game and that and his demeanor struck me as a guy not believing what he was seeing but content to let it go as if to teach the team a lesson. You cannot lose a game like that and expect it not to bite you come March.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The crowd sounds angry on the radio. Has sounded that way most of the night. This must be a bad bunch of officials, made even worse by the way we're playing.

Calling these officials "bad" is about the most charitable thing you can say about them. I really thought that it was going to get ugly. I think if the students had been in session, it would have been bad tonight...and the refs deserved it.

It should be obvious to everyone now that Crews does not in-game adjust. He obviously figures out a particular game plan ahead of time and just hopes that it works the entire way during the game. He refuses to do anything to stop another team's momentum and seems to be content to let the team figure it out on their own out there. Once Savannah St. went to the zone to go along with the press, you would have assumed he'd call a timeout and try to adjust the strategy, or at least tell the team what was going on and offer some advice. But that isn't his coaching style, and we need to come to grips with it. There are going to be more games like this down the road where we are flummoxed by his decisions and lack of calling timeouts. At least tonight, we came away with a win.

The crowd sounds angry on the radio. Has sounded that way most of the night. This must be a bad bunch of officials, made even worse by the way we're playing.

Calling these officials "bad" is about the most charitable thing you can say about them. I really thought that it was going to get ugly. I think if the students had been in session, it would have been bad tonight...and the refs deserved it.

A couple of calls, or 'non-calls', that got me out of my seat and livid were:

1. Foul called on Cody under basket after obvious travel by Savannah St. player.

2. Mitchell called for foul on clean strip of Savannah St. player.

3. No foul called when Jett got clotheslined at top of key.

4. Evans called for blocking foul when he got popped in chin with elbow.

5. Jett getting bumped three times trying to cross half-court with no call. He turns it over right after.

6. Cody getting hacked on layup attempt. No call.

7. No goaltending on Mitchell's layup attempt when ball was clearly on way down.

These are just the ones off of the top of my head. I know that the Bills also got the benefit of some bad officiating, but the ones above were so blatant as to cause visceral reactions from the crowd!

Since it was not on FOXMW, and I was out w/ a bunch of golfing friends, I'm going to assume this was a let down game after UNM. But being out rebounded by SS is not a good sign. Let's give 'em a pass. Because all the conference games are pretty much going to be tough. That's we're we'll find out if JCrew is taking his coaching career beyond 2013. Hey, we're 10-3 so it's not panic time... yet!

Since it was not on FOXMW, and I was out w/ a bunch of golfing friends, I'm going to assume this was a let down game after UNM. But being out rebounded by SS is not a good sign. Let's give 'em a pass. Because all the conference games are pretty much going to be tough. That's we're we'll find out if JCrew is taking his coaching career beyond 2013. Hey, we're 10-3 so it's not panic time... yet!

Actually, 11-3. Even better!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="AlumniFan" data-cid="334723" data-time="1357358469"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BustedDreams49" data-cid="334720"><p>Non-conference ends with a nice streak.<br />

<br />

Time to saddle up for conference games.</p></blockquote>

If we play in the A10 like we did tonight, we'll be 0-14 in conference.</p></blockquote>

You didn't even watch the damn game!

Broadnax is orchestrating one hellova game plan. Changing defenses. Changing lineups. Timeouts to disrupt rhythm. Last time out, this pieceofcrap teamlost to Western Illinois 39 to 35. Crews is outmatched here.

I was extremely impressed with the coaching job broadnax did. he brought that team to st louis to win. and they played hard. the multiple defenses was pretty neat. i have long wondered why more college coaches dont do it. they did foul a lot. but they ended up with more fouls called on them 25-10 and the billikens shot 12 more free throws and made 12 more free throws. that was the saving grace for the billikens.

i just didnt understand crews just sitting there during the big run when savanaugh got the lead for a short time.

the one thing that probably hurt the billikens was evans in foul trouble. i am sure that really tilted the rebounding tally to savanaugh.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="AlumniFan" data-cid="334726" data-time="1357358608"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="billikenfan05" data-cid="334724"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="AlumniFan" data-cid="334723" data-time="1357358469"><p><br />

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BustedDreams49" data-cid="334720"><p>Non-conference ends with a nice streak.<br /><br />

<br /><br />

Time to saddle up for conference games.</p></blockquote><br />

If we play in the A10 like we did tonight, we'll be 0-14 in conference.</p></blockquote><br />

<br />

<br />

You didn't even watch the damn game!</p></blockquote>

Fouk you. I was at the game.</p></blockquote>

APOLOGIES I misread what slu72 said and thought you said it.

Broadnax is orchestrating one hellova game plan. Changing defenses. Changing lineups. Timeouts to disrupt rhythm. Last time out, this pieceofcrap teamlost to Western Illinois 39 to 35. Crews is outmatched here.

I was extremely impressed with the coaching job broadnax did. he brought that team to st louis to win. and they played hard. the multiple defenses was pretty neat. i have long wondered why more college coaches dont do it. they did foul a lot. but they ended up with more fouls called on them 25-10 and the billikens shot 12 more free throws and made 12 more free throws. that was the saving grace for the billikens.

i just didnt understand crews just sitting there during the big run when savanaugh got the lead for a short time.

the one thing that probably hurt the billikens was evans in foul trouble. i am sure that really tilted the rebounding tally to savanaugh.

This was a huge factor, IMO. No Evans for huge blocks of time puts us at a big disadvantage on the boards.

as much as i pile on crews and i wasnt particularly impressed with anything crews did tonite, i think the final overview of this game is more about savanaugh just playing one whale of a defensive game and maximizing turnover opportunities. i.e. crews was crews, broadnax was masterful and his team responded very well.

i agree with an earlier post, give this guy an interview.

This was a huge factor, IMO. No Evans for huge blocks of time puts us at a big disadvantage on the boards.

Even with 4 fouls Evans should have seen the court down the stretch when Savannah made their run. Our rebounding was horrible with him on the bench.

MoyToy said it earlier that maybe this was this year's Springfield Illinois game. Unfortunately we had one of those earlier too against North Texas and maybe Santa Clara. As much as I like to look at the A-10 schedule and believe we can win just about every game on there, the existence of these type of games suggests we'll get at least 2 more stinkers this year that shouldn't happen (like RI last year).