C7 Presidents meeting in New York today

SLUDrew

If the purpose of the extra money is for setting up the conference then that money could go into a league account and let the league spend it for that purpose. If the money goes to the schools then I am sorry they will keep it and then the new invitees will be penalized - in the long run that will hurt the conference overall - very short sighted.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the deal is still being worked on but here is how the numbers work.

12 year deal @ $5MM/school = $420MM....leaves $80MM

$80MM divided by 12 yrs = $6.66MM. If you have 3 schools that equals $2.22 MM....5 schools would be $1.35MM....It is being reported that the remaining schools would receive around $2.5 MM ...Therefore the $2.22MM number is the one if you do the math. So for those following along....the new league will take 3 teams as the deal now stands.

Here is the link to the original article:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8817624/fleeing-big-east-schools-working-lucrative-tv-deal-basketball

Here is a link to the C7 message board on the topic. Notice how most don't believe this would come to fly:

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=611558

A few Kshoe thoughts:

- I long suspected part of the negotiation to get in this conference may include concessions on how much of the funds would be received. In particular, I figured teams 10-12 would be pitted against eachother in a battle of who will take less otherwise we'll only take 10 teams. I'm surprised that the BE7 would be so arrogant to tell Butler and Xavier the same thing.

- Even if this is true, I don't agree with Torch's take that we should stay put. One option is join a power conference with 11 other schools that are natural rivals while making $2.5mm in t.v. revenues. It would be expected that 5 or 6 teams a year could make the dance. The other option is to stay in a watered down A-10 making $400k in t.v. revenuses with no geographic rivals and hope that 2-3 out of 14 teams can make the dance every year. We aren't just competing with teams in the conference for NCAA bids, we are competing with everyone nationally. The decision would be obvious to me.

I'm getting agitated with the elite 7. The only brand name schools they have are GU, Nova, and MU. The other 4 wouldn't finish in the top 5 of the current A-10. I would think if Fox, NBC (which really touted the A-10's strength at halftime of the VCU-Lehigh game) said they want to build a stronger relationship with the A-10. Maybe the strategy is to turn the tables on these guys. Make a deal w/ NBC and say hey will take in your top 3 + St. Johns add Creighton, Zaga, and St. Mary's, and we'll pay our 5-6 weak sisters to leave and form a new conference with your weaklings. I know that's totally not going to happen, but there's nothing wrong with a little thinking outside the box. All they can do is say NO. Remember, the best defense is a good offense.

Anyone else notice how many MAC teams UMass has played in their non con schedule? Methinks, UMass is looking to build some bridges with the MAC primarily for FB purposes. And I still wonder what UConn and Temple are doing about their future.

villanova would not be a top five a-10 school as well.

Great news. From a very reliable source in Providence that Xavier, Dayton and Butler are rock solid commitments to be the three to join the BE7, and if the league decides to go to 12, Creighton and St. Louis are the other two.

Depending on the ability to secure a good TV contract and work out exits for the new teams, the league may push to start as early as next season.

Since there has been a lot of talk about who is better...the A-10 or the BE-7 I thought I would combine them using my rankings and take a look. These are using today's numbers and of course the indented teams are BE-7

VCU

SLU

...........GT

But

St. Joe

...........Marq

Day

Temp

La S

...........Set H

Rich

...........Prov

Char

X

...........St. John

...........DeP

...........Vill

For those with inquiring minds ....Creighton would fit in between VCU & SLU.

If you look at my post above about how the cash will be divided in the BE-7, it seems like it would be best for the A-10 to stay together and try to get the same deal since our conference seems at least as good. There are 2 networks bidding on the BE-7...Fox 1 & NBC SP... If the losing network offers $500MM to the A-10 over 12 yrs...That is $41.66MM/yr div by 16 teams...works out to $2.8MM/school/yr a better deal than the BE-7 leftovers.

Since there has been a lot of talk about who is better...the A-10 or the BE-7 I thought I would combine them using my rankings and take a look. These are using today's numbers and of course the indented teams are BE-7

VCU

SLU

...........GT

But

St. Joe

...........Marq

Day

Temp

La S

...........Set H

Rich

...........Prov

Char

X

...........St. John

...........DeP

...........Vill

If you look at my post above about how the cash will be divided in the BE-7, it seems like it would be best for the A-10 to stay together and try to get the same deal since our conference seems at least as good. There are 2 networks bidding on the BE-7...Fox 1 & NBC SP... If the losing network offers $500MM to the A-10 over 12 yrs...That is $41.66MM/yr div by 16 teams...works out to $2.8MM/school/yr a better deal than the BE-7 leftovers.

the A-10 just signed a multi-year t.v. deal that pays the teams in the conference $400k per year. Not sure how we could be expected to break that new contract?!?

The problem with the A-10 isn't the teams at the top, its the teams at the bottom. Always has been and always will be. Any comparison of the BE7 to the A-10 can't just focus on the top teams in the A-10 it needs to focus on ALL of the teams in the A-10.

Great news. From a very reliable source in Providence that Xavier, Dayton and Butler are rock solid commitments to be the three to join the BE7, and if the league decides to go to 12, Creighton and St. Louis are the other two.

Depending on the ability to secure a good TV contract and work out exits for the new teams, the league may push to start as early as next season.

Great news would be SLU in the first 10. The insider information rumor you just posted suggests its 50/50 whether we'd get an invite. Not sure how that can be considered great news especially considering nearly everyone has felt that we'd be in if 12 was the number.

Ok. Bad news then. Optimism be damned.

Great news. From a very reliable source in Providence that Xavier, Dayton and Butler are rock solid commitments to be the three to join the BE7, and if the league decides to go to 12, Creighton and St. Louis are the other two.Depending on the ability to secure a good TV contract and work out exits for the new teams, the league may push to start as early as next season.

Great news would be SLU in the first 10. The insider information rumor you just posted suggests its 50/50 whether we'd get an invite. Not sure how that can be considered great news especially considering nearly everyone has felt that we'd be in if 12 was the number.

I really can't get too optimistic (as much as I'd like to).

If C7 becomes 10, the Bills are screwed.

If C7 becomes 12, Bills have a good chance.

Staying in a weakened A-10 should not even be considered.

No X, UD, BU = What's left is maybe the Ohio Valley.

VCU

SLU

...........GT

But

St. Joe

...........Marq

Day

Temp

La S

...........Set H

Rich

...........Prov

Char

X

...........St. John

...........DeP

...........Vill

the A-10 just signed a multi-year t.v. deal that pays the teams in the conference $400k per year. Not sure how we could be expected to break that new contract?!?

The problem with the A-10 isn't the teams at the top, its the teams at the bottom. Always has been and always will be. Any comparison of the BE7 to the A-10 can't just focus on the top teams in the A-10 it needs to focus on ALL of the teams in the A-10.

Hmmm...Maybe the A-10 needs to take the top 9 teams plus Creighton and start their own league (or renegotiate that current contract)

The A-10 leadership is very quiet. Not sure what legal options they have but standing by and waiting to get plucked over doesn't seem to be a solid strategy. Hope they are working on a proactive Plan B because it sure deals like SLU is screwed.

Who is this source?

The A-10 leadership is very quiet. Not sure what legal options they have but standing by and waiting to get plucked over doesn't seem to be a solid strategy. Hope they are working on a proactive Plan B because it sure deals like SLU is screwed.

Where in the world are people getting that we are screwed? You'll have to color me doubtful when the sources that say its a 10 team league are Taj and Billikenfriar.

I am a faculty member and season ticket holder for PC. The source is a booster who is in the president's inner circle. We spoke at the game last night. Best I can doin terms of detail. I saw it as good news but I am an optimistic sort. I just think the 12 league model is inevitable, even if it isn't in the first year.

Great news. From a very reliable source in Providence that Xavier, Dayton and Butler are rock solid commitments to be the three to join the BE7, and if the league decides to go to 12, Creighton and St. Louis are the other two.Depending on the ability to secure a good TV contract and work out exits for the new teams, the league may push to start as early as next season.

Who is this source?

VCU

SLU

...........GT

But

St. Joe

...........Marq

Day

Temp

La S

...........Set H

Rich

...........Prov

Char

X

...........St. John

...........DeP

...........Vill

Hmmm...Maybe the A-10 needs to take the top 9 teams plus Creighton and start their own league (or renegotiate that current contract)

The A-10 minus the bottom 5-6 is attractive but the reality is its nearly impossible to drop teams and leaving likely isn't an option (too much NCAA tourney money gets left behind).

Again, this is all or nothing for us... we need this to continue our upward trend post Majerus. If we get in, we will get a quality new coach, TV exposure, and better recruits. If we do not and they take X-Butler-Dayton, we will be scrambling to say the least, the A-10 without Butler-X-Dayton and Temple will be a joke.

And those that compare current RPI's and scoff at programs like Nova (etc) are sorely mistaken, these are long time power schools and far more attractive than where we are now. DePaul? We will have much much more exposure to Chicago recruits.

If they know they are going to 12 eventually, they might as well do it right away.

If SLU is in the picked over A-10 for a year or few years, the athletes are going to get the screwed on the travel. The nearest school would be Duquesne, right?

This is going to be absolutely devastating to our program when it is officially announced that SLU is left out. If we don't get in this initial round of teams, we will forever be a true mediocre program.

If I was Chaifetz, I would be all over the AD/Father Biondi's ass to make happen. I wouldn't let my 12 million+ invested in this program go to complete waste.

(for the record, I dont think we are in)

$80MM divided by 12 yrs = $6.66MM. If you have 3 schools that equals $2.22 MM....5 schools would be $1.35MM....It is being reported that the remaining schools would receive around $2.5 MM ...Therefore the $2.22MM number is the one if you do the math. So for those following along....the new league will take 3 teams as the deal now stands.

If the deal can be expanded to $550MM (an extra $50MM) then there is enough for 12 teams at $2.22MM. If the minimum drops to $2MM/yr/school...then they can do it for $540MM. $2MM is 5 times what we are getting now as long as you can get by the inequity of the BE-7 getting more than twice the amount. It would not seem good for the long term to have that inequity.

If the deal can be expanded to $550MM (an extra $50MM) then there is enough for 12 teams at $2.22MM. If the minimum drops to $2MM/yr/school...then they can do it for $540MM. $2MM is 5 times what we are getting now as long as you can get by the inequity of the BE-7 getting more than twice the amount. It would not seem good for the long term to have that inequity.

True, that inequity over the long-haul would be very difficult to overcome but so would being in the Ohio Valley.

This is going to be absolutely devastating to our program when it is officially announced that SLU is left out. If we don't get in this initial round of teams, we will forever be a true mediocre program.

If I was Chaifetz, I would be all over the AD/Father Biondi's ass to make happen. I wouldn't let my 12 million+ invested in this program go to complete waste.

(for the record, I dont think we are in)

Could Chaifetz get the money together to get rid of He who shall not be named?