GDT: It ain't easy being Mean Green

bonwich

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We got lucky tonight. While it is great to see a career night for Jordair and a very strong night in the paint for Cory, this should not have been a close game.

I did not read the whole thread (I was at the game), but what did people think of the blocking call on Cody when the white ref closest to the play called a charge and the black ref standing way back called a block? Of course, the crowd went nuts as did Crews (I thought he was about to get a technical), but it was just indicative of the officiating. It seems to be much worse this year, and, no, I don't think it is some conspiracy against the Billikens. It just seems really, really bad all around. It also seems that in each game, there are two refs trying to out do each other with calls while the third ref almost seems non-existent.

We got lucky tonight. While it is great to see a career night for Jordair and a very strong night in the paint for Cory, this should not have been a close game.

I did not read the whole thread (I was at the game), but what did people think of the blocking call on Cody when the white ref closest to the play called a charge and the black ref standing way back called a block? Of course, the crowd went nuts as did Crews (I thought he was about to get a technical), but it was just indicative of the officiating. It seems to be much worse this year, and, no, I don't think it is some conspiracy against the Billikens. It just seems really, really bad all around. It also seems that in each game, there are two refs trying to out do each other with calls while the third ref almost seems non-existent.

Pretty much the worst officiating I've seen live in a while. NT also got away with AT LEAST 5 travels. One travel by Mitchell led to an unbelievably lucky three-point bank shot. The Cody charge that wasn't was an ubelievably bad call, especially as the ref closer to the call got it correct and then the other one came running in from way back to change the call, and did so in a very animated fashion. It was just that kind of night. Lucky bank shots and end of shot clock makes, travels not being called, bad fouls and just overall bad officiating. Seriously, how did the NT coach not get thrown out of the game? He was T'd up once, and was even more beligerent afterward!

Pretty much the worst officiating I've seen live in a while. NT also got away with AT LEAST 5 travels. One travel by Mitchell led to an unbelievably lucky three-point bank shot. The Cody charge that wasn't was an ubelievably bad call, especially as the ref closer to the call got it correct and then the other one came running in from way back to change the call, and did so in a very animated fashion. It was just that kind of night. Lucky bank shots and end of shot clock makes, travels not being called, bad fouls and just overall bad officiating. Seriously, how did the NT coach not get thrown out of the game? He was T'd up once, and was even more beligerent afterward!

I thought it was just me being a homer about the traveling calls. I quit counting them. I think the point was made earlier that the stripes were trying to upstage each other all night.

I'm going to have to ask Tom tomorrow if he has a shot chart, but I'd be willing to bet that we missed more than a dozen shots from within two feet tonight.

couldnt finish lay ups at all

I'm going to have to ask Tom tomorrow if he has a shot chart, but I'd be willing to bet that we missed more than a dozen shots from within two feet tonight.

At the very least, I know that McCall missed every layup attempt he tried. That was at least 4 attempts, maybe 5.

The frontcourt combo of Barnett/Ellis/Loe cannot be allowed to happen again.

Offensively you end up with a bunch of guys hovering beyond the arc and nobody even threatening to draw a double team in the low post, so either Jett or McCall end up dribbling into traffic and forcing a tough shot.

Defensively I'm not going to criticize Barnett or Ellis for their effort, but they are not shot blocking threats or physical intimidators while Loe is playing in slow motion. We need either Evans, Remekun, Manning, or even Glaze (once he returns) on the floor at all times.

Sure you might be able to steal a possession or two with that soft frontcourt - especially when Loe is hitting shots - but once the opposition has identified the weakness, don't wait for the next whistle, CALL A ###### TIMEOUT and get a proper forward in there.

Crews nearly cost us the game with that ######.

The frontcourt combo of Barnett/Ellis/Loe cannot be allowed to happen again.

Offensively you end up with a bunch of guys hovering beyond the arc and nobody even threatening to draw a double team in the low post, so either Jett or McCall end up dribbling into traffic and forcing a tough shot.

Defensively I'm not going to criticize Barnett or Ellis for their effort, but they are not shot blocking threats or physical intimidators while Loe is playing in slow motion. We need either Evans, Remekun, Manning, or even Glaze (once he returns) on the floor at all times.

Sure you might be able to steal a possession or two with that soft frontcourt - especially when Loe is hitting shots - but once the opposition has identified the weakness, don't wait for the next whistle, CALL A ###### TIMEOUT and get a proper forward in there.

Crews nearly cost us the game with that ######.

well said, Duff Man.