GAME RECAP

RiseAndGrind

Sorry Tonka but a man (or woman) has to know his (or her) limitations.

Agreed, the little girl not making the shot to the free throw is one thing, but if the other efforts are somewhat close it keeps the jackpot growing which I think is more entertaining anyway. When somebody hits it wins more money, it usually brings more enthusiasm.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody else think that was some awful officiating last night? I'm not saying thats the reason that we lost by any means but I thought it really messed up our rhythm both offensively and defensively. SC definitely took advantage of this being a more physical game than usual.

Totally disagree. the refs kept us in the game by calling far more of the 50/50 calls our way than not. If the refs had called it straight or against us we would have lost by 30.

anybody else think that was some awful officiating last night? I'm not saying thats the reason that we lost by any means but I thought it really messed up our rhythm both offensively and defensively. SC definitely took advantage of this being a more physical game than usual.

Not at all. I'm pretty sure Crews paid the refs to keep it close.

The guy did it granny-style....GRANNY-STYLE! Seriously, he should get kicked in the balls for even trying that. It was worse than the time they sent out a chick who weighed 95 lbs to shoot and she could bareley get the ball to the free-throw line.

The worst part about the guy last night is he jumped on the banner on all three shots. The rule is that you need to land behind the banner. I can't wait till the first time somebody actually hits the shot but is disqualified for jumping too far forward.

Really, the game was lost between the under 8 and under 4 TV timeouts in the first half.

It's 28-21, McCall has an awful turnover that leads to a 3 pointer 31-21. Glaze turns it over and it leads to a layup 33-21. Evans grabs a huge offensive rebound on the next possession and feeds Jett for a layup to get it back to 10. Jett then gets a steal and feeds Evans on the break who just completely loses control of himself and falls out of bounds under the basket and throws it right to the other team, and Jett picks up his 2nd foul going for a steal out of frustration.

Crews needs to understand that Jett and Evans need to be protected (from fatigue with timeouts and from foul trouble with substitutions). We cannot survive with either of them out for extended periods of time.

looking at the final score it is easy to play the what if we took away this and this and we got a whole new ball game, however that said, santa clara started playing a different game and working clock shortly after jett fouled out. i believe had they kept the foot on the pedal foster scores 40 and they win by 30. we were not going to win that game last night with our team in the mode that the billikens hit the floor with last night period.

On the 2 issues I had with our game....SC 3 point shooting and turnovers...you may have missed my points

On the 3 point shooting, I was not trying to play the what-if game but to point out that SC had deviated from the mean with a 63% shooting average . The average 3 pt. % for all Div 1 schools is about 34% and the best teams in the country shoot in the upper 50's. (SC up to this year has not been one of the best)

A very interesting article (sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/luke_winn/...three/index.html ) by Luke Winn in SI.com from 5/14/ 12 specifically talks about Majerus at SLU and how his defense of the 3 has led to one of the best 3 pt defenses in the country....the other being Bo Ryan's Wisconsin. Want to see the difference between Crews and Majerus? This article is a good start.

Again my point was to not only show SC shooting as being freakish but also to show how we went from one of the best 3 point defenses (opp shot 25.6% last year) to the worst (albeit only 2 games)

My other point was turnovers...not only too many but most were converted to points.. We were outscored on 24-8 on turnovers. We knock off some of those turnovers and we have a game.

Those weren't the only problems but those were 2 that stood out to me. Fixing them will be the difference between a good season and a bad one.