Dining/Bar Scene Near Campus

derunnin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the hot-shot chefs in town are Gerard Craft at Niche/Pastaria by Niche/Brasserie by Niche; Kevin Nashan at Sidney Street (his wife went to SLU); Anthony Devoti at Five; Josh Galliano, who may have his Louisiana-theme place open by then; Vito Racanelli at Mad Tomato; Grace Dinsmoor at Franco and Josh Roland at Salt.

I second the vote of the Mad Tomato (and that is not because I share a last name with the owner). Solid spot with fantastic local fresh ingredients...worth the tip out to Clayton

I typically go to Pappy's which is walking distance but also like The Tap Room, http://schlafly.com/tap-room/, which is a close drive and has an ambiance about it.

Recently took the kiddos and visiting family to the City Museum followed by the Tap Room. Two of St. louis' finest places.

The Tap Room is serving an imperial stout that is everything a beer should be and is 20 proof to boot......The leg of lamb sandwich seemed amazing too but it could've been the beer.....

Recently took the kiddos and visiting family to the City Museum followed by the Tap Room. Two of St. louis' finest places.

The Tap Room is serving an imperial stout that is everything a beer should be and is 20 proof to boot......The leg of lamb sandwich seemed amazing too but it could've been the beer.....

Tap Room is one of my favorite places in St. Louis, but I only have the fish and chips with a Pilsner. I usually say I'm going to have something different on the way there, but it never happens. I'll try a different beer occasionally, but gotta have the fish and chips. Can't do stout or bock.

Oh, well, I suppose I'll have to come out of retirement for a Billiken fan.

There are several places downtown that serve prime beef: Al's, Prime 1000, Mike Shannon's, Ruth's Chris and, I think for at least one of its steaks, F15teen. (Don't ask.) Last I knew, Prime 1000 was still serving dry-aged (the only of the above to do so) as well as grassfed. The ones I had there a couple years ago were the best steaks I've had in St. Louis, except for perhaps Annie Gunn's -- but that's a good 20 miles west of SLU/Downtown.

But speaking of best steaks, the Best Steak House (No. 2?) on Grand has a damn fine under-$10 budget steak, and it's a major retro throwback.

It would be very easy to do a microbrewery tour near Chaifetz, and I'm sure some of the board members would love to host. You've got Six Row, Urban Chestnut and Buffalo, plus Cathedral Square, which doesn't have a facility, but I think Cafe Ventana has it on tap. All are within staggering distance of campus, and Schlafly is only about 10 blocks east. For an absolutely massive beer list, there's place called iTap (International Tap House) in Soulard, and there should be one in the Central West End by the time you get here. The guy who originally opened 33 Wine Bar also now has his own microbrewery, Civil Life, near Gravois and Chippewa.

If Scotch is more your thing, you might try the Scottish Arms, about a block west of campus.

To be more specific, Sweetie Pie's Upper Crust is just a few blocks north of campus. The Sweetie Pie's that's been most often on the Oprah Network is in the Grove, about a mile south of campus.

There aren't any good Eastern European sausage restaurants in town, but there's a place called G&W below the southwestern edge of Tower Grove Park that has any number of excellent wursts (although most are uncooked). There's also Piekutowski's on Florissant near Grand that has what was said to be John Paul II's favorite kielbasa.

If you don't mind a geographic shift, however, Salume Beddu on Hampton just north of Chippewa was cited as the best salume in America by Forbes -- really amazing stuff from heritage pigs that they have custom-raised.

Some of the hot-shot chefs in town are Gerard Craft at Niche/Pastaria by Niche/Brasserie by Niche; Kevin Nashan at Sidney Street (his wife went to SLU); Anthony Devoti at Five; Josh Galliano, who may have his Louisiana-theme place open by then; Vito Racanelli at Mad Tomato; Grace Dinsmoor at Franco and Josh Roland at Salt.

I shall now recede back into dining oblivion. B)

Might have to extend my stay! I really apreciate the responces. Could never get these type of tips just browsing.

Sounds like just the ticket in the dead of Winter. Who was the brewer? Out here, Stone makes a great one.

The Tap Room is at Schlaffly's brewery. Schlaffly's is to the best of my knowledge St. Louis' oldest microbrewery, and I'd guess it's largest. It's been around 20 years, maybe more. I believe their stouts are generally very highly regarded.

I believe Griesedieck is St. Louis' oldest microbrewery (could be wrong) although it has been closed a couple times (Prohibition and AB kicking its a$$). Bought a 6 pack of the Golden Pilsner this past weekend after leaving Oktoberfest.

Vito's is also good though I usually find service to be lackluster. Two Pizza places both great not mentioned and close by are PW's on Choteau and The Good Pie. You can't go wrong with either but I prefer PW. It's a couple of blocks east of Jefferson. The Good Pie is on Lindell across the street from Pappy's. Also SLUballs and I hit Triumph's before the soccer game the other night and they had some great happy hour deals. We had a pitcher of Schlaffly's APA plus an order of wings and an order of onion rings (which were fantastic) for less than $20.

As far as pizza goes, not a fan of The Good Pie. Never been to PW's, so I have no opinion there. I recommend Maurizio's located downtown if you like New York style pizza.

Sounds like just the ticket in the dead of Winter. Who was the brewer? Out here, Stone makes a great one.

It's made by Schlafly and I managed to find a large bottle at World Market here locally (that was a good day.) I've no idea if they send it anywhere else. I had to scour the kitchen for some sort of bottle stopper since a bottle of anything doesn't last more than a day at my house. This lasted three through amazing will power.

It's made by Schlafly and I managed to find a large bottle at World Market here locally (that was a good day.) I've no idea if they send it anywhere else. I had to scour the kitchen for some sort of bottle stopper since a bottle of anything doesn't last more than a day at my house. This lasted three through amazing will power.

Schlafly doesn't distribute outside of about a 300-mile radius of St. Louis (except for some special arrangements on the East Coast), so Kansas City is about as far west as you can go and still find it. That particular beer is even in the supermarkets here, though.

I'm a big fan of Schlafly, but if you're going for a Weissbier you have to go German, specifically Bavarian. You can easily find Paulaner or Franziskainer maybe even in Schnucks or Dierbergs. A few other good choices are Schneiders, Hofbrau (of course) Weihenstephaner (the best), Erdinger, or Maisels (also very good)

Just so you know ... when you pour these Bavarian Weissbiers, you just pour right down the center of your glass, it's important that you do it that way

Tip: The Civil Life Brewing Co. only takes cash, no credit cards.

I heard this once and wasn't sure if it was true, Conservative and anti-feminist, Phyllis Schlafly, is part of the Schlafly family that owns Schlafly Brewing.

Per wikipedia it's true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllis_Schlafly

She is the aunt-in-law of St. Louis brewery owner Thomas Schlafly. [15]

I heard this once and wasn't sure if it was true, Conservative and anti-feminist, Phyllis Schlafly, is part of the Schlafly family that owns Schlafly Brewing.

Per wikipedia it's true.

http://en.wikipedia....hyllis_Schlafly

Do you have a point?

Per wikipedia it's true.

http://en.wikipedia....hyllis_Schlafly

And per the Schlafly website, so many people care about in-laws by marriage that the website has to have a FAQ to address it, as if it makes a wit(bier) of difference to what the beer tastes like.

Does Phyllis or Andrew Schlafly have anything to do with the brewery?

Phyllis Schlafly is Tom Schlafly’s aunt by marriage. She is the widow of Fred Schlafly, Tom’s father’s brother. Andrew Schlafly is Phyllis’ son and Tom’s cousin. Neither Phyllis, nor Andrew Schlafly is involved with Schlafly Beer in any way.

BTW, Phyl is also the mother of Anne Schlafly Cori, who owns Kitchen Conservatory, but none of the soufflé dishes I've bought there have caused mine to fall to the right when they bake.

Now, of much more interest to a SLU audience is the identity of Schlafly owner Tom Schlafly's brother, who looks quite a bit like him (the guy on the right, who beat the crap out of me and probably many others on this board in history class):

Posted Image

Per wikipedia it's true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllis_Schlafly

So this *****, Phyllis, enjoys getting beaten viciously about the head and shoulders by men, eh? My grandmother's name was Phyllis. She wouldn't stand for that ######.

Sounds like that dame has a soggy bottom and a stiff jaw. Probably likes to get roughed up in the sack to boot. Chokesex and whatnot...

I'm a big fan of Schlafly, but if you're going for a Weissbier you have to go German, specifically Bavarian. You can easily find Paulaner or Franziskainer maybe even in Schnucks or Dierbergs. A few other good choices are Schneiders, Hofbrau (of course) Weihenstephaner (the best), Erdinger, or Maisels (also very good)

Just so you know ... when you pour these Bavarian Weissbiers, you just pour right down the center of your glass, it's important that you do it that way

I thought I'd learn a little more about Weissbier so I googled it and found this site which is a fun read.

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/weissbier.html

The pouring directions are different than the above, for what it's worth.

SqWires Restaurant & Annex | 1415 South 18th Street, Historic ...

sqwires.com/

SqWires Restaurant: The best dining, bar and live music, in Historic Lafayette Square, St. Louis, MO 63104 | 314-865-3522.

The rebirth of the bar/ restaurant scene started 10 years ago when this one won top newcomer then following year stayed in top ten

In St. Louis

Full bar features Schafly's on tap, very fine steak and quarterly changes in seasonal American food

You don't have to go to California to eat well

I take picky business travelers there and there is a micro brewery across street at 18th and Park Avenue

Free parking near Chaifetz and SLU

SLU is 36th and Grand,right? Chaifetz may be 4 blocks closer off Compton

Breakfast fairly early Sat and Sun with great Bloody Mary and champagne customer's self serve bar

I thought I'd learn a little more about Weissbier so I googled it and found this site which is a fun read.

http://www.germanbee.../weissbier.html

The pouring directions are different than the above, for what it's worth.

Yea, I know. I was just trying to get Roy to pour one straight down the middle. If you do that your glass will overflow with head before you get an inch of beer

SqWires Restaurant & Annex | 1415 South 18th Street, Historic ...

sqwires.com/

SqWires Restaurant: The best dining, bar and live music, in Historic Lafayette Square, St. Louis, MO 63104 | 314-865-3522.

The rebirth of the bar/ restaurant scene started 10 years ago when this one won top newcomer then following year stayed in top ten

In St. Louis

Full bar features Schafly's on tap, very fine steak and quarterly changes in seasonal American food

You don't have to go to California to eat well

I take picky business travelers there and there is a micro brewery across street at 18th and Park Avenue

Free parking near Chaifetz and SLU

SLU is 36th and Grand,right? Chaifetz may be 4 blocks closer off Compton

Breakfast fairly early Sat and Sun with great Bloody Mary and champagne customer's self serve bar

The place across the street is Square One, and it's both a microbrewery and a microdistillery.

I don't get the comments about parking and Chaifetz, though. The 'fetz ain't nowhere near Lafayette Square.