Coach Whitesell

slufan13

i say at the minimum go hire the coach now. to patchwork this staff and make such "interim's" is suicide if indeed rickma is never to coach again.

i would bet this is the result of holding out hope rickma is coming back. cant dump the staff if rickma is our coach next year.

Completely agree. I love RM, but it's best for RM and it's best for the school if he never coaches again. If RM comes back to coach, we're pretty much on a year to year basis with our head coach until he retires.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree. I love RM, but it's best for RM and it's best for the school if he never coaches again. If RM comes back to coach, we're pretty much on a year to year basis with our head coach until he retires.

Agreed. I had grown a little more comfortable with the idea of waiting until the spring to find a new permanent coach but that comfort assumed Whitesell would stick around for the season. With him now looking to also leave we simply can't go into this season with only Crews and Bronson on the coaching staff. Nobody of any quality will join the program for just a one year deal.

With all that in mind we need to hire the next coach now. Crews can have the choice of staying on with the staff or leaving. If he stays, great we'll have some continuity and can still play a system that looks like RM's. If he can't handle it, then fine we'll move on and the new head coach can bring in more of his guys.

If the team does well this year, then Crews may stay or we'd be in a great position to hire a big name coach. If we, instead, dump Crews now like many of you want to do, we cannot make a big splash hire. It is simply not a good time, and you run the risk that some players might leave without any familiar faces on the coaching staff.

i think we're doing the only right thing by keeping Crews on for this year. Only 2 schollys are available for next year so this isn't even a huge recruiting season anyway.

If the team does well this year, then Crews may stay or we'd be in a great position to hire a big name coach. If we, instead, dump Crews now like many of you want to do, we cannot make a big splash hire. It is simply not a good time, and you run the risk that some players might leave without any familiar faces on the coaching staff.

i think we're doing the only right thing by keeping Crews on for this year. Only 2 schollys are available for next year so this isn't even a huge recruiting season anyway.

3 scholarships are available for next year and its a HUGE year. The following year is 5 more. Now is the time for us to be recruiting and evaluating and I'm fairly certain this remaining coaching staff isn't doing much of that.

You say if we have a good season Crews may stay. Is that really desirable? Not in my mind.

As for player continuity and threats of transfers. At this point, they've known our existing coaches for all of a combined 3 years (including Whitesell) and only 2 years without him (1 year each for Crews and Bronson). None of the upperclassman are transfering at this point and now that school has started the chances of multiple transfers from the young guys are limited. At the end of the day, if we bring in a dynamic assistant that is on the cusp of getting a head coaching job he ought to be a good enough recruiter to keep the existing players that already are on campus happy.

As discussed before May should make that phone call to Alex Jensen with the promise that he will be our next head coach.

i thought rickma said that jensen left because he couldnt stand recruiting? you want that guy to be our head coach? as much as i can understand any coach not wanting to recruit, the bleak truth is it is a necessity to survive and succeed. jensen is not the guy.

i forgot about remekun so you are right there are 3 schollys to fill. i still say we're better off giving crews a chance. he knows the system and has the best chance of winning with this team this year. an outside coach brings in a completely new system that might not even work with these players

3 scholarships are available for next year and its a HUGE year. The following year is 5 more. Now is the time for us to be recruiting and evaluating and I'm fairly certain this remaining coaching staff isn't doing much of that.

Agree with kshoe. Cody and Cory leave after this season. Rob will be a senior the following season. This team is under tremendous pressure to recruit a big in the next recruiting class ... but it will be impossible for an interim coach to recruit anybody. We have effectively shut down recruiting until a permanent HC is named. I hate the idea of waiting until after the season to address the situation. To do that seriously risks pissing down the toilet all the momentum the program has built under Majerus.

As long as we make the tournament and win a game or two I think we will be fine. That would position SLU as the top HC vacancy going into the hiring season, provided Coach K or a Calipari type doesn't quit/die/retire.

The ideal situation would be to hire a guy as HC now, but do you really want a guy who would leave his team 1 month before the season stars?

As long as we make the tournament and win a game or two I think we will be fine. That would position SLU as the top HC vacancy going into the hiring season, provided Coach K or a Calipari type doesn't quit/die/retire.

The ideal situation would be to hire a guy as HC now, but do you really want a guy who would leave his team 1 month before the season stars?

-what, potentially, would Whitesell be doing??

i thought rickma said that jensen left because he couldnt stand recruiting? you want that guy to be our head coach? as much as i can understand any coach not wanting to recruit, the bleak truth is it is a necessity to survive and succeed. jensen is not the guy.

Where did you read this? I don't recall this.

[not starting anything - I just didn't remember this]

I agree with this. Not all is lost. I still expect a really successful season.

Positives: Coming off a great year, a great young nucleus, a strong senior class, awesome facilities, an apparently growing booster program, and a growing national reputation

I'm not sure I believe that.

1) If we have a good year all it does is raise expectations on an incoming coach. With an obvious hole in recruiting with 3 unused schollys I could see why a potential coach would say "I don't want any part of a program that thinks they are an NCAA tourney caliber but doesn't have the recruits in the pipeline to make it happen after my first year.

2) The quality of a job is often determined by how much it pays, conference affiliation, charter flights, etc. There will be quite a few schools offering more money and BCS membership this coming spring. We won't be in the top 5 of offerings.

3) If we went out looking for a head coach now, you'd be hard pressed to find an assistant coach that wouldn't see this as a golden opportunity. He'll get a tailor made NCAA tourney team to start his career with and there is still time to shape this recruiting class the way he wants. We are the only job opening available at this point so nothing would look better.

I'm sure people will disagree with my assessment, but I'd rather be the only option with a smaller candidate pool than one of many for a larger pool.

I agree. There is no way we would get a great coach at this point in the season. We have little chance of landing great recruits this year as well. The coaches need to focus on meeting or surpassing expectations for THIS season right now. I personally think we should bring in a few good assistant coaches who know majerus' system, can motivate the team, and can help develop the bigs. Honestly, I think Conklin would be a perfect candidate. If we surpass expectations this year, we'll be able to land quailty recruits in the future. There is little chance of landing any quality recruits this year, so let's focus on winning.

i dont think it is may's fault that there is not a staff in place to "take the reigns". may was likely hired knowing he was to be hands off the on court basketball of the program. i believe he has no say in our coaching staff.

Only one person reigns at alma mater, and we all know who that is. B)

Aboslutely, the big, big dog rules.

(Wow, now, today I state agreement w/ broy and bonwich.)

the raise in pay from an assistant to a head coach is such if a top assistant wouldnt take it i would say he is a nutcase or dishonest to his own self interests. i wouldnt hold anything against a man or woman doing what is best for themselves and their families which a pay raise would be the case. if the person's worth is such to the current employer, then maybe that employer should be paying them more. the overwhelming majority here defending harimann jumping to nebraska and was upset with slu. why doesnt that work the other way as well?

I agree. There is no way we would get a great coach at this point in the season. We have little chance of landing great recruits this year as well. The coaches need to focus on meeting or surpassing expectations for THIS season right now. I personally think we should bring in a few good assistant coaches who know majerus' system, can motivate the team, and can help develop the bigs. Honestly, I think Conklin would be a perfect candidate. If we surpass expectations this year, we'll be able to land quailty recruits in the future. There is little chance of landing any quality recruits this year, so let's focus on winning.

a pay raise incentive doesnt coincide with any "point in the season". if we provide a financial incentive, the coach will come now or later it doesnt matter.

the worse thing we can do is wait. unless slu knows rickma is coming back. sitting around waiting till next may is beyond stupid imo. especially if our target is a young up and comer. if we think we know who the next shaka or stevens might be, go get them now.

Rick also said Brian Conklin couldn't play professional basketball. He says lots of things he does not mean on the radio, especially when he is upset (like when Alex left for the NBAD). Coach also said Alex was in on several high priority recruits so it was one of the reasons he was upset Alex bolted when he did. This I clearly remember coach saying during a radio interview right after Alex left.

BTW, put me in the camp of those who never heard nor read a quote from Coach to the effect that Alex Jensen can't stand to recruit.

the raise in pay from an assistant to a head coach is such if a top assistant wouldnt take it i would say he is a nutcase or dishonest to his own self interests. i wouldnt hold anything against a man or woman doing what is best for themselves and their families which a pay raise would be the case. if the person's worth is such to the current employer, then maybe that employer should be paying them more. the overwhelming majority here defending harimann jumping to nebraska and was upset with slu. why doesnt that work the other way as well?

So then what happens if the coach we would hire next week would leave here for a pay raise in 2 years in the same time period? Would that be okay, because it would be looking out for his family?

So then what happens if the coach we would hire next week would leave here for a pay raise in 2 years in the same time period? Would that be okay, because it would be looking out for his family?

absolutely. if the hypothetical coach is worth it, we should incent him to not be looking. if not, good luck to the coach. he deserves what he can get.

a pay raise incentive doesnt coincide with any "point in the season". if we provide a financial incentive, the coach will come now or later it doesnt matter.

the worse thing we can do is wait. unless slu knows rickma is coming back. sitting around waiting till next may is beyond stupid imo. especially if our target is a young up and comer. if we think we know who the next shaka or stevens might be, go get them now.

Good point. Identifying the next shaka or stevens is obviously not easy. There are over 300 D1 schools, and you mention 2 success stories from hiring young up and comers. (Of course there are others as well) It would be a big gamble in my opinion to hire a young up and comer and install a new system now. Maybe after this season, but I really would hate to change the system that got us to where we are now.