Ballpark Village...Finally...

[OT]

Finally what? Is George Bluth hosting a ribbon cutting tonight?

Oh...they just released new revised artists renderings (now with Budweiser sign!) for the scaled down Ballpark Village Sports Bar.

I'm having difficulty keeping track of all the different Ballpark Villages renderings that never happened...

1) Mixed Residential/Commercial development, with pedestrian views of the playing field

2) Mixed Residential/Commercial development

3) Commercial Development with Centene as anchor tenant

4) Commercial Development with Stifel Nicolaus as anchor tenant

I'm not sure which one of these plans required them to run off the Bowling Hall of Fame - that building remained intact in the original plans (PDF).

Granted, you have to give the CODASCO boys credit for 'finally' scaling down the project to a level where something might possibly get built.

[OT]

Finally what? Is George Bluth hosting a ribbon cutting tonight?

Oh...they just released new revised artists renderings (now with Budweiser sign!) for the scaled down Ballpark Village Sports Bar.

I'm having difficulty keeping track of all the different Ballpark Villages renderings that never happened...

1) Mixed Residential/Commercial development, with pedestrian views of the playing field

2) Mixed Residential/Commercial development

3) Commercial Development with Centene as anchor tenant

4) Commercial Development with Stifel Nicolaus as anchor tenant

I'm not sure which one of these plans required them to run off the Bowling Hall of Fame - that building remained intact in the original plans (PDF).

Granted, you have to give the CODASCO boys credit for 'finally' scaling down the project to a level where something might possibly get built.

Like you, I'm not holding my breath on this to happen anythime soon.

[OT] Finally what? Is George Bluth hosting a ribbon cutting tonight? Oh...they just released new revised artists renderings (now with Budweiser sign!) for the scaled down Ballpark Village Sports Bar. I'm having difficulty keeping track of all the different Ballpark Villages renderings that never happened... 1) Mixed Residential/Commercial development, with pedestrian views of the playing field 2) Mixed Residential/Commercial development 3) Commercial Development with Centene as anchor tenant 4) Commercial Development with Stifel Nicolaus as anchor tenant I'm not sure which one of these plans required them to run off the Bowling Hall of Fame - that building remained intact in the original plans (PDF). Granted, you have to give the CODASCO boys credit for 'finally' scaling down the project to a level where something might possibly get built.

:rolleyes:

The Ballpark Village progession (regression?) kinda reminds me of the beautiful renditions of the "extension of Forest Park" that were printed all over the Post, when they blew up the Arena, compared to what I see now driving down 40. Which, at that time, kinda reminded me of the Kiel Center project and those plans for the Opera House...

This a$$hole bought a condo about 3 blocks from this so called Ballpark Village 7 years with hopes of walking to and fro all summer. After watching the value of my place plummet along with the agony of driving by this wasteland everyday it looks like there finally may be some light at the end of this tunnel. With that being said, my condo is on the market to be rented and I will be headed to the burbs. I am going top self in the restroom as soon as this place is done, thanks for taking so f-ing long Dewitt.

This a$$hole bought a condo about 3 blocks from this so called Ballpark Village 7 years with hopes of walking to and fro all summer. After watching the value of my place plummet along with the agony of driving by this wasteland everyday it looks like there finally may be some light at the end of this tunnel. With that being said, my condo is on the market to be rented and I will be headed to the burbs. I am going top self in the restroom as soon as this place is done, thanks for taking so f-ing long Dewitt.

HATE HATE HATE

I hope they left room for an abortion clinic in there.

I still can't believe they tore down old Busch Stadium. As historic a building as St Louis has ever experienced. And just boom blew it up.

The Ballpark Village progession (regression?) kinda reminds me of the beautiful renditions of the "extension of Forest Park" that were printed all over the Post, when they blew up the Arena, compared to what I see now driving down 40. Which, at that time, kinda reminded me of the Kiel Center project and those plans for the Opera House...

Pretty selective memory. The first supposed developer put forth the following options:

Lewis N. Wolff, who is leading efforts to redevelop the land at The Arena, says he envisions a ''tourist-type amusement attraction'' that would appeal to families visiting Forest Park, the Zoo and the Science Center.

But Wolff says he has no definite plans for the 26-acre site, at 5700 Oakland Avenue. He said last week that it might take two years to decide how the land will be used. Other options include houses, shops, an equestrian center and a hospital or office complex. Wolff said that he tentatively plans to name the project ''The Old Arena, '' partly in deference to plans for the Kiel Center arena downtown.

After his stuff failed to materialize, the city took proposals and got four. Only one was the "extension of Forest Park," which appeared to be kinda sorta a fairy tale since the group didn't have committed funding. (Remember, this was well before the Art Museum got the go-ahead to expand within Forest Park, which at that time was considered a political impossibility. It could be construed that this offer was nothing more than a bargaining chip toward the Museum's eventual expansion.)

The city chose Balke, which pretty much said from the start that it was going to do office/residential/retail mixed use:

A nonprofit organization headed by the St. Louis Art Museum offered $10 million Friday for the city's 26-acre Arena site. The site would then be given to Forest Park.

The offer was among four proposals submitted to the St. Louis Development Corp., the city's chief development agency, by Friday's deadline. The three others are from:

Assurance Capital St. Louis Inc., represented by lawyer S. Jerome Pratter of Stolar Partnership;

Murphy, Downey, Wofford & Richman, a Clayton architecture firm;

Balke Properties, a real estate firm with offices downtown. Garrett A. Balke, head of the firm, has discussed development of a "mutual vision" with the Art Museum group. Balke is interested in developing land adjacent to the Arena site.

As a side note, the Arena office buildings had almost as many "we're moving in...no we're not" companies as Ballpark Village.

As a side note, the Arena office buildings had almost as many "we're moving in...no we're not" companies as Ballpark Village.

-i can't verify if this is true or not but i can say the old Arena site has been developed producing construction jobs, retail jobs, places to live and work and tax receipts while the site for ballpark village best use to date was the pond

-if ballpark village sprung to life overnight would it have taken longer to develop than the Arena site from either the closing or implosion date?

-did the Arena site get the tax breaks bv is getting?

-i guess the change in the economy is the reason for the delay, has nothing to do with while both in the city, one has the cardinals involved and one did not, one is downtown and one is not

-i can't verify if this is true or not but i can say the old Arena site has been developed producing construction jobs, retail jobs, places to live and work and tax receipts while the site for ballpark village best use to date was the pond

-if ballpark village sprung to life overnight would it have taken longer to develop than the Arena site from either the closing or implosion date?

-did the Arena site get the tax breaks bv is getting?

-i guess the change in the economy is the reason for the delay, has nothing to do with while both in the city, one has the cardinals involved and one did not, one is downtown and one is not

"Closing or implosion date" wasn't the key date. That first quote I posted was at least two years before they'd figured out what they were going to do with the building, and in fact some of the proposals (the aquarium one was the most amusing) built in plans to keep the Arena and build around it.

I can't find all of the financing info for the site, but I did find out that the hotel, part of a later phase, got a $2.4M TIF, a $1M federal grant and $700K from a TOD tax. I also found that the city paid $16M to buy the site (including the Arena) in the mid-80s and sold it for $9M when the Highlands was built, even after it had incurred at least $1.5M in cleanup costs.

And the note about companies committing and then decommitting to the buildings on the Arena site wasn't meant to be anything but factual; I just found it interesting (and had forgotten) that at one time the developer announced that Thompson Reuters or Bridge or one of their permutations was going to move in with like 500 employees, and then a fairly large insurance company did the same thing and pressured the city for a commitment to building the project.