Assistant Coach Situation

3Bill

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was never any chance that Majerus was going to leave. He is happy here.

Concerning Biondi: He cares about the program, but his ways of showing it are often flawed. Every Billiken fan needs to thank god for the good Doctor, becuase he may be what keeps this program competitive when Majerus leaves someday.

DaLove. I hope you are right. Assuming you are right that RM is happy here and was not going to leave, then why did he travel to SMU?

DaLove. I hope you are right. Assuming you are right that RM is happy here and was not going to leave, then why did he travel to SMU?

RM is very happy here. The problem is that the money needed to run a decent program is not being funded.

Example: Salaries for assistant coaches. Fr. B controls everything especially when it concerns money. The man is great at business but running a successful AD requires money especially to keep good people like Harriman. CH deserved more money and RM was fighting for him but the cash was not relinquished. CH is vital to the program but he has to take care of his family. It is BS like this that sets us back because these headaches could be avoided with more support from the top.

Fr. B sees $ and ¢. He wants his cake and to eat it too. You can't do that with a top 25 program. You have a HOF coach but want to pay his supporting staff of a tier 3 program.

It was a tactic to get something he didn't already have.

Was RM successful? If it was more money for Chris Harriman, then it doesn't appear that RM got it. Hope RM got something/whatever it was he wanted.

From here in the cheap seats, I tend to agree (and certainly hope) that RM is probably happy. I also recognize (as does RM) that he is getting too old/health concerns to start all over again -- sounds like Larry Brown is cleaning house at SMU and is embarking on a multi-year rebuilding process -- and is therefore running out of time.

At the same time, and I direct this to all Fr. Biondi supporters who like to keep pointing at Chaifetz Arena as proof that Fr. Biondi fully supports the Athletic Department: what happened to the chartered flights, the extra money for coaching salaries, etc. Remember when RM held out those painful days 5 years ago before finally signing a contract with SLU? Those were all the concessions that RM wanted, still wants and is need to grovel for - despite his excellent reputation, his slow but steady rebuild with 4 scholar athletes like BC and KC, his overcoming the huge setback known as The Situation and his leading us not only to the Tourney but to the Second Round with only a 4 point loss to #1 Michigan State.

As to our hope that Fr. Biondi would stay out of the micro-managing of the Athletic Department, it appears we are no further along than we were back in the mid-1990's with Spoon and the lack of reimbursments for relatively small items such as cell phones for the coaches and the ice cream which Spoon himself bought for the team. And if the meddling by Fr. Biondi occurs in our only real cash cow (men's basketball), is it any wonder that the women's team still has no head coach... (go read/re-read the embarrasing posts in the women's BB Coach thread).

Someone call the jeweler. It's time Fr. Biondi receives his gold watch, a big thank you and a gentle push out the front doors of DuBourg Hall.

Was RM successful? If it was more money for Chris Harriman, then it doesn't appear that RM got it. Hope RM got something/whatever it was he wanted.

From here in the cheap seats, I tend to agree (and certainly hope) that RM is probably happy. I also recognize (as does RM) that he is getting too old/health concerns to start all over again -- sounds like Larry Brown is cleaning house at SMU and is embarking on a multi-year rebuilding process -- and is therefore running out of time.

At the same time, and I direct this to all Fr. Biondi supporters who like to keep pointing at Chaifetz Arena as proof that Fr. Biondi fully supports the Athletic Department: what happened to the chartered flights, the extra money for coaching salaries, etc. Remember when RM held out those painful days 5 years ago before finally signing a contract with SLU? Those were all the concessions that RM wanted, still wants and is need to grovel for - despite his excellent reputation, his slow but steady rebuild with 4 scholar athletes like BC and KC, his overcoming the huge setback known as The Situation and his leading us not only to the Tourney but to the Second Round with only a 4 point loss to #1 Michigan State.

As to our hope that Fr. Biondi would stay out of the micro-managing of the Athletic Department, it appears we are no further along than we were back in the mid-1990's with Spoon and the lack of reimbursments for relatively small items such as cell phones for the coaches and the ice cream which Spoon himself bought for the team. And if the meddling by Fr. Biondi occurs in our only real cash cow (men's basketball), is it any wonder that the women's team still has no head coach... (go read/re-read the embarrasing posts in the women's BB Coach thread).

Someone call the jeweler. It's time Fr. Biondi receives his gold watch, a big thank you and a gentle push out the front doors of DuBourg Hall.

Is there anybody on hear saying Biondi fully supports the athletic department? I don't know who that contingent is, but I haven't seen it. I have traditionally be a supporter of Biondi given the improvements to the university. Just since I graduated in 2002, the place has improved significantly. And the decade before that was even greater. I don't mind the statues. All that being said, he shows time and time again his lack of support for the sports teams. Even our flagship sport gets nickel and dimed....and our donors are paying for most of the expenses. It may be time for Biondi to start thinking about retirement....

Biondi is the perfect example of penny wise and dollar foolish. He has done it for years through how many different coaches? It won't change until he is gone. Hopefully we can get a president from a similar school that values athletics in general. I want to see every team get more $.

Biondi is the perfect example of penny wise and dollar foolish. He has done it for years through how many different coaches? It won't change until he is gone. Hopefully we can get a president from a similar school that values athletics in general. I want to see every team get more $.

It seems to me that the real challenge is not so much Biondi, but it is finding more big $$ boosters. Thank goodness for Dr. Chaifetz. If not for him, RM would not be here. We can't expect Chaifetz to do everything. Hopefully with success now, some of the other $$ guys will be motivated to step up more and help fund the program. We can't expect Biondi to do it, so it seems to me the program will need to find ways to raise $$ in spite of Biondi. Speaking of Biondi, when he is gone, do you think we will finally see an Easy Ed statue outside the Arena?

I'll say it again, he's too savvy not to realize the ancilliary benefits a recognized BB program can bring to the school. Which begs the question, why is he unwilling to spend the $$'s it takes to make it high level. When RM said HE paid for the Canada excursion out of his own pocket, I regurgitated my Molsons. Could it be Fr. B just wants to frustrate RM to the point he'll just up and quit? If so, he'd better think about what he's doing, because RM's a fairly respected name in college hoops. And any replacement worth his salt would contact him and ask about the pros and cons of coaching at SLU? My fear is the next HC is going to be another Soderberg type. Great guy. Good coach. Good rep for SLU w/the media and the public. Lousy ass recruiter. But at least he'll make Broy happy.

I'll say it again, he's too savvy not to realize the ancilliary benefits a recognized BB program can bring to the school. Which begs the question, why is he unwilling to spend the $$'s it takes to make it high level. When RM said HE paid for the Canada excursion out of his own pocket, I regurgitated my Molsons. Could it be Fr. B just wants to frustrate RM to the point he'll just up and quit? If so, he'd better think about what he's doing, because RM's a fairly respected name in college hoops. And any replacement worth his salt would contact him and ask about the pros and cons of coaching at SLU? My fear is the next HC is going to be another Soderberg type. Great guy. Good coach. Good rep for SLU w/the media and the public. Lousy ass recruiter. But at least he'll make Broy happy.

Not to nitpick, but that type of coach was not really respected by the media or casual fan. It perpetuated the perception that SLU was small time and not truly commited to building an NCAA Tourney caliber program.

It seems to me that the real challenge is not so much Biondi, but it is finding more big $$ boosters. Thank goodness for Dr. Chaifetz. If not for him, RM would not be here. We can't expect Chaifetz to do everything. Hopefully with success now, some of the other $$ guys will be motivated to step up more and help fund the program. We can't expect Biondi to do it, so it seems to me the program will need to find ways to raise $$ in spite of Biondi. Speaking of Biondi, when he is gone, do you think we will finally see an Easy Ed statue outside the Arena?

SLU has some big-time alums. Not all of them like basketball, which is the unfortunate part.

It seems, generally, that big money St. Louisians don't take an interest in sports. Off the top of my head, I think only of Stillmann & Brauer.

-this is enough?

My guess is there is already enough money that exists to increase assistant coaches' salaries and provide more charter flights even if you don't count the NCAA money. As I recall, the school increased the undergrad tuition by $30 a year for student tickets to Chaifetz. That is about $300 K, give or take. Also, you have season ticket holders that provide revenue through both ticket sales and Billiken Club donations. Then you have the money from walk-up ticket sales, concessions, fan shop and parking.

Now, discount the fact that Chaifetz and Co. are the ones that have paid the majority of Majerus's contract up to now. Toss in the additional revenue from the NCAA for our appearance (as well as other A-10 schools, though at a much smaller rate) and I see no reason why the school can't pay competitive wages for assistant coaches

-bizz, all of the $30 is going to the ath dept?

-was the ath dept self funding prior to this so the remainder of the school was not contributing to any ath dept shortfall?

-i don't know, would like to

'72. How can Fr. Biondi, on the one hand, be "too savvy not to realize the ancilliary benefits a recognized BB program can bring to the school" but then, on the other hand, not understand what a special and unique asset SLU has in RM and therefore "just wants to frustrate RM to the point he'll just up and quit?" This is what Fr. Biondi a an enigma.

It was reported that RM went to Dallas by the news media but it was also reported that he said he did it out of courtesy for the AD there who he knows very well. He also said he never had any thoughts to leave SLU. So, did he get any concessions from all this - I have know idea - maybe somebody out there who is in the know could share. Also, it was reported on another thread that 20K was raised for charters - does anybody know what charters cost? - I understand distance has something to do with the answer but perhaps someone could give a per hour cost for flying the team?

It was reported that RM went to Dallas by the news media but it was also reported that he said he did it out of courtesy for the AD there who he knows very well. He also said he never had any thoughts to leave SLU. So, did he get any concessions from all this - I have know idea - maybe somebody out there who is in the know could share. Also, it was reported on another thread that 20K was raised for charters - does anybody know what charters cost? - I understand distance has something to do with the answer but perhaps someone could give a per hour cost for flying the team?

Around $35k +/- $2-3k to charter the team.

Around $35k +/- $2-3k to charter the team.

Per flight? Or per trip? The team goes to Washington D.C on Thursday morning for a Saturday afternoon game returning late Saturday night? $35,000 for the weekend? The pilot(s) and plane stays in D.C. over the weekend? As opposed to 18 to 20 guys flying coach at $800 to $1,000 per ticket - half the cost??

Per flight? Or per trip? The team goes to Washington D.C on Thursday morning for a Saturday afternoon game returning late Saturday night? $35,000 for the weekend? The pilot(s) and plane stays in D.C. over the weekend? As opposed to 18 to 20 guys flying coach at $800 to $1,000 per ticket - half the cost??

You are flying more than 18-20 people.

If they flew somewhere, they would not have t leave on Thurs AM for a Sat game - they could leave Fri PM and fly back Sat night. I would think the plane would stay for at least 24 hour period since the dead head back would be a loser for the company. If Tucci said 35K per flight then that would be 350 - 400K annual cost - that is a lot of money. 20 people for more likely 500-600 per person if you book early enough and have a little flexibility still adds up to 10-12K per game bill and that does not include hotel costs.