Please do not use "retarded"

ldm

I have gone to Billiken games for 25 or so years and have read this board since its inception. I have only posted one time, but generally I enjoy reading the posts (except when posters call each other names). My youngest child, now 28, was born with Down Syndrome. For many years I spent many hours working on special education issues with administrator, teachers and students although I do not work in the education field. I have spent many hours working with the Down Syndrome Assoc. of Greater St. Louis.

Those of us who have worked extensively in the disability field urge others to use people first language. For example, I refer to my daughter as a young woman with Down Syndrome; not a Down Syndrome person. We believe that using people first language emphasizes the personhood of the person with significant challenges rather than the person's disability or limitations.

One word that we find degrading to persons with intellectual challenges is to call them "retarded." Using the word "retard" is also offensive even when used to call out a person with "normal" intelligence. If we want we can always one up a person or degrade a person. I only request that if you do that, which I do not suggest anyone do, that you use different language. In a couple of threads recently the word "retard" has been used to denigrate other posters who one finds offensive or does not like or just wants to put down.

I thank all of you who decide to respect this wish. I believe that if you met my daughter or other persons with significant intellectual challenges and got to know them that you too will find that they share many similarities with everyone else and deserve all of our respect and admiration for what they can accomplish.

Oh man. I was working on my 1980 Z28 Camaro and was getting some detonation due to using regular gas. I RETARDED the timing about 3 degrees and it ran much better.

Sorry, you may find the term objectionable but advanced and retarded are terms which have meaning. I can certainly agree with you that it isn't nice to call someone a retard.

Political correctness can be taken too far.

Oh man. I was working on my 1980 Z28 Camaro and was getting some detonation due to using regular gas. I RETARDED the timing about 3 degrees and it ran much better.

Sorry, you may find the term objectionable but advanced and retarded are terms which have meaning. I can certainly agree with you that it isn't nice to call someone a retard.

Rich, I don't think anyone here was using it in the way you use it in your example.

That said, I also don't think people were trying to intentionally be offensive. The poster who provoked others to use the word is GaryBleedsBlue, and he happens to share a first name with a character called Gary the Retard from the Howard Stern show. I'm not defending that use of the name or anyone using it here, but that's the reference. We do need to stop using it, though (and this board often dabbles in some homophobia, misogyny, and racism, but in less direct terms usually).

The moral of the story is that we need a new name for Gary because he does not "bleed blue".

Rich, I don't think anyone here was using it in the way you use it in your example.

That said, I also don't think people were trying to intentionally be offensive. The poster who provoked others to use the word is GaryBleedsBlue, and he happens to share a first name with a character called Gary the Retard from the Howard Stern show. I'm not defending that use of the name or anyone using it here, but that's the reference. We do need to stop using it, though (and this board often dabbles in some homophobia, misogyny, and racism, but in less direct terms usually).

The moral of the story is that we need a new name for Gary because he does not "bleed blue".

Three straight posts where Pistol cites race...hot damn... :rolleyes:

I agree. I don't think I've ever used the term appropriately. I have been asked by several friends to no longer use the word, one of them has a sister who has Downs and may also be the sweetest girl on the planet. I have tried to fix my vocabulary by replacing the unacceptable word with "ridiculous"

+1. The post was very clear and nothing like the example used by the other poster.

Three straight posts where Pistol cites race...hot damn... :rolleyes:

It was all in response to the other thread(s) that have had some unnecessary nastiness about the Memphis players. We don't know them or where they're from or what they're all about. It was just getting ugly, that's all. Sorry it doesn't bother you, but I just want to beat them on the floor, not by stooping to idiotic levels of name-calling.

I know and I do not use the term retarded in a derogotory way. I do get fed up though when a perfectly accurate word has to be thrown out because it hurt's someones FEELINGS. Quite frankly calling someone intellectually challenged in a derogatory manner is just as insulting.

Agreed.

I agree. I don't think I've ever used the term appropriately. I have been asked by several friends to no longer use the word, one of them has a sister who has Downs and may also be the sweetest girl on the planet. I have tried to fix my vocabulary by replacing the unacceptable word with "ridiculous"

I don't think it is proper for anyone to use the term in a derogatory way. That said, it is ridiculous to ask people not to use certain terms. Especially on the internet.

P.S. -- The word was used in the thread's title, FYI.

I know and I do not use the term retarded in a derogotory way. I do get fed up though when a perfectly accurate word has to be thrown out because it hurt's someones FEELINGS. Quite frankly calling someone intellectually challenged in a derogatory manner is just as insulting.

The guy didn't say you had to throw out the term. He asked not to use it in a certain context. The context in your example is entirely different. He was very clear.

"One word that we find degrading to persons with intellectual challenges is to call them "retarded." Using the word "retard" is also offensive even when used to call out a person with "normal" intelligence. If we want we can always one up a person or degrade a person. I only request that if you do that, which I do not suggest anyone do, that you use different language. In a couple of threads recently the word "retard" has been used to denigrate other posters who one finds offensive or does not like or just wants to put down."

The guy didn't say you had to throw out the term. He asked not to use it in a certain context. The context in your example is entirely different. He was very clear.

"One word that we find degrading to persons with intellectual challenges is to call them "retarded." Using the word "retard" is also offensive even when used to call out a person with "normal" intelligence. If we want we can always one up a person or degrade a person. I only request that if you do that, which I do not suggest anyone do, that you use different language. In a couple of threads recently the word "retard" has been used to denigrate other posters who one finds offensive or does not like or just wants to put down."

Ok Fine.

I have a confession to make....

I am pigment challenged

I am gravitationally challenged

I am intellectually challenged (it's all relative)

I am athletically challenged

I am functionally illiterate (in Cantonese)

I am retarded (by my generally negative worldview)

I don't think it is proper for anyone to use the term in a derogatory way. That said, it is ridiculous to ask people not to use certain terms. Especially on the internet.

P.S. -- The word was used in the thread's title, FYI.

Irony of the day: This post increased the use of that word by 1000%.

What are you 12? Show a little respect, grow up, both. You sound like a jackass.

Go ahead and reply with "that comment is offensive to donkeys". You clever, clever man.

The man asked us to quit using the word. He has a child with Down Syndrome. He describes to his fellow SLU friends that is degrading and offensive, and to please stop. The only response is Sorry, we didn't mean to offend, and of course we will stop!

The man asked us to quit using the word. He has a child with Down Syndrome. He describes to his fellow SLU friends that is degrading and offensive, and to please stop. The only response is Sorry, we didn't mean to offend, and of course we will stop!

I'm sorry he's got a kid with Downs. We aren't "SLU friends" whatever the heck that means. I find alot of things offensive but no one cares what the heck I think. Offensive is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't understand why people have to be rude about this. It is one of those things where a person asks a simple favor and all we need to do is say "Okay. Sorry" and stop. Obviously the word has a real meaning. It's a word so that makes sense. Thanks for pointing that Rich. I couldn't figure that one out on my own. But seriously, let's be polite and fulfill his request.

I have a high school teacher who has a son that has some of the same issues as the original poster's daughter. He's a great kid. After learning about that, I have dropped the word from my vocab. Even more, there is a girl in my row at Chaiftez that has down syndrome and believe me, she cheers more than any of us. It is a true sign of what a great person she is!!

If i can do that and be mature about it as an 18 year old, why can't everyone else?

If i can do that and be mature about it as an 18 year old, why can't everyone else?

Because some people are bullies. I don't know why. It's just sad when adults are.