All A-10?

bauman

Earlier it seemed like BC was a lock for All A-10, now is is fading. For a few games it seemed like DE might make a run at that honor-now probably not. KM has been pretty good all year, but not as good as many of us thought he would be. CE has had a couple of really good games where he has carried us, but not enough of them to be All A-10. As has been noted most of the year, we seem to have a different player step up and lead us to a win and then another guys steps up the next game.

My point is not to lessen how well they all have played. I just find it strange that a team which is the second best team in a very good conferfence and has 22 wins at this point, likely does NOT have an All-Conference 1st team player... If in fact that is the case, I would guess that BC and KM both make 2nd team.

We definitely do not have an All A-10 first team player, and I would doubt that we have an all A-10 2nd team guy. You have to figure that guards like Tu, Lyons, and Dillard will all get the nod over Kwamain.

It is not a bad thing to be a well balanced team that has several options.

The A10 is just loaded with outstanding guards...for example (not an exhaustive list)

Ramone Moore 18.2 PPG, 3.3 APG, 4.0 RPG, 1.1 SPG, 44.1 FG%, 40.3 3P%, 77.0 FT%

Khalif Wyatt 17.0 PPG, 3.2 APG, 3.2 RPG, 2.1 SPG, 48.2 FG%, 38.7 3P%, 83.8 FT%

Tu Holloway 17.3 PPG, 5.6 APG, 3.6 RPG, 1.6 SPG, 42.1 FG%, 34.6 3P%, 86.0 FT%

Mark Lyons 16.0 PPG, 2.8 APG, 3.5 RPG, 1.4 SPG, 44.5 FG%, 40.6 3P%, 74.5 FT%

Chaz Williams 15.5 PPG, 6.2 APG, 4.0 RPG, 2.1 SPG, 39.3 FG%, 36.1 3P%, 77.1 FT%

Kevin Dillard 13.0 PPG, 5.8 APG, 2.5 RPG, 1.5 SPG, 40.7 FG%, 30.4 3P%, 81.8 FT%

T.J. McConnell 11.7 PPG, 5.6 APG, 4.4 RPG, 3.0 SPG, 51.8 FG%, 48.6 3P%, 80.5 FT%

Tyreek Duren 13.7 PPG, 4.2 APG, 3.6 RPG, 1.9 SPG, 49.0 FG%, 40.8 3P%, 81.6 FT%

Earl Pettis 14.7 PPG, 2.3 APG, 4.1 RPG, 1.7 SPG, 46.3 FG%, 35.5 3P%, 77.1 FT%

Carl Jones 16.4 PPG, 3.3 APG, 3.6 RPG, 1.4 SPG, 41.6 FG%, 33.6 3P%, 80.0 FT%

Langston Galloway 15.5 PPG, 2.4 APG, 4.6 PPG, 1.2 SPG, 49.5 FG%, 46.5 3P%, 77.6 FT%

Kwamain Mitchell 12.0 PPG, 3.7 APG, 2.6 RPG, 1.5 SPG, 44.3 FG%, 36.2 3P%, 63.6 FT%

There's more to basketball than stats, and clearly the fact that SLU beat everyone except Temple and UMass (and URI, yet) will boost Kwamain's status, but I don't think he's cracking 2nd team A10 this time around.

The A10 is just loaded with outstanding guards...for example (not an exhaustive list)

Ramone Moore 18.2 PPG, 3.3 APG, 4.0 RPG, 1.1 SPG, 44.1 FG%, 40.3 3P%, 77.0 FT%

Khalif Wyatt 17.0 PPG, 3.2 APG, 3.2 RPG, 2.1 SPG, 48.2 FG%, 38.7 3P%, 83.8 FT%

Tu Holloway 17.3 PPG, 5.6 APG, 3.6 RPG, 1.6 SPG, 42.1 FG%, 34.6 3P%, 86.0 FT%

Mark Lyons 16.0 PPG, 2.8 APG, 3.5 RPG, 1.4 SPG, 44.5 FG%, 40.6 3P%, 74.5 FT%

Chaz Williams 15.5 PPG, 6.2 APG, 4.0 RPG, 2.1 SPG, 39.3 FG%, 36.1 3P%, 77.1 FT%

Kevin Dillard 13.0 PPG, 5.8 APG, 2.5 RPG, 1.5 SPG, 40.7 FG%, 30.4 3P%, 81.8 FT%

T.J. McConnell 11.7 PPG, 5.6 APG, 4.4 RPG, 3.0 SPG, 51.8 FG%, 48.6 3P%, 80.5 FT%

Tyreek Duren 13.7 PPG, 4.2 APG, 3.6 RPG, 1.9 SPG, 49.0 FG%, 40.8 3P%, 81.6 FT%

Earl Pettis 14.7 PPG, 2.3 APG, 4.1 RPG, 1.7 SPG, 46.3 FG%, 35.5 3P%, 77.1 FT%

Carl Jones 16.4 PPG, 3.3 APG, 3.6 RPG, 1.4 SPG, 41.6 FG%, 33.6 3P%, 80.0 FT%

Langston Galloway 15.5 PPG, 2.4 APG, 4.6 PPG, 1.2 SPG, 49.5 FG%, 46.5 3P%, 77.6 FT%

Kwamain Mitchell 12.0 PPG, 3.7 APG, 2.6 RPG, 1.5 SPG, 44.3 FG%, 36.2 3P%, 63.6 FT%

There's more to basketball than stats, and clearly the fact that SLU beat everyone except Temple and UMass (and URI, yet) will boost Kwamain's status, but I don't think he's cracking 2nd team A10 this time around.

I know this isn't what it comes down to, but I think Kwa is better than everyone on that list sans maybe Hollaway, Williams and MAYBE Moore.

We definitely do not have an All A-10 first team player, and I would doubt that we have an all A-10 2nd team guy. You have to figure that guards like Tu, Lyons, and Dillard will all get the nod over Kwamain.

It is not a bad thing to be a well balanced team that has several options.

I agree, I feel as if we may not have a player on the first team, although BC may make 2nd team. But third team, I feel like KM DE and ALMOST CE.

The A10 usually, if memory serves, takes five players per team, regardless of position. The A10 did a first,second, and third all conference team last year along with Honorable Mention, All Defense, All Rookie, and All Academic Teams along with POY, Rookie of the Year, Defensive POY, Most Improved, Sixth Man, Student-Athlete of the Year, and Coach.

Returnees include: First Team --- Holloway and Nicholson. Second Team -- Ramone Moore and Tony Taylor. Third Team -- Fernandez and Lyons. Out of those six, I can see the five man first team this year, likely leaving Taylor out of the list. Honorable Mention returnees include Frease and Gaston; can't see Frease moving up any. Gaston, maybe.

Others warranting consideration this year include Carl Jones, Langston Galloway, CJ Aiken, Chaz Williams, Raphiael Putney, Earl Pettis, Ramon Galloway, Tyreek Duren, Demetrius Conger, and Kevin Dillard. I stop short of throwing anyone from the lesser teams on there and would have left Dillard out maybe on the same reasoning but he is Dayton this year.

Defensive team returnees include only Holloway and four rookies return with only Juwan Staten missing.

POY was Holloway; I'd vote Moore. Rookie of the Year was TJ McConnell and if that is limited to freshmen and not transfers, I think you go with Dez Wells. Defensive POY should be our entire team but I suspect they will go with the shot blocker, either Aiken or Garrett at Richmond. Most Improved? Too biased to make a call. Sixth Man? No clue but biased again. Coach of the Year? Doubt they give it to a HOFer.

Given this is an East Coast League and we are the western bastion of the Atlantic on the Mississippi, expecting us to get pretty well shut out despite our stellar record.

http://www.atlantic10.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/atl10/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2010-11all-conferencehonors

The A10 usually, if memory serves, takes five players per team, regardless of position. The A10 did a first,second, and third all conference team last year along with Honorable Mention, All Defense, All Rookie, and All Academic Teams along with POY, Rookie of the Year, Defensive POY, Most Improved, Sixth Man, Student-Athlete of the Year, and Coach.

Returnees include: First Team --- Holloway and Nicholson. Second Team -- Ramone Moore and Tony Taylor. Third Team -- Fernandez and Lyons. Out of those six, I can see the five man first team this year, likely leaving Taylor out of the list. Honorable Mention returnees include Frease and Gaston; can't see Frease moving up any. Gaston, maybe.

Others warranting consideration this year include Carl Jones, Langston Galloway, CJ Aiken, Chaz Williams, Raphiael Putney, Earl Pettis, Ramon Galloway, Tyreek Duren, Demetrius Conger, and Kevin Dillard. I stop short of throwing anyone from the lesser teams on there and would have left Dillard out maybe on the same reasoning but he is Dayton this year.

Defensive team returnees include only Holloway and four rookies return with only Juwan Staten missing.

POY was Holloway; I'd vote Moore. Rookie of the Year was TJ McConnell and if that is limited to freshmen and not transfers, I think you go with Dez Wells. Defensive POY should be our entire team but I suspect they will go with the shot blocker, either Aiken or Garrett at Richmond. Most Improved? Too biased to make a call. Sixth Man? No clue but biased again. Coach of the Year? Doubt they give it to a HOFer.

Given this is an East Coast League and we are the western bastion of the Atlantic on the Mississippi, expecting us to get pretty well shut out despite our stellar record.

http://www.atlantic10.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/atl10/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2010-11all-conferencehonors

Majerus is coach of the year. No one can refute that. Taking us from a losing record to possibly tied for first in the conference, to our first tourney berth in 12 years, with no MARQUEE player... is an incredible achievement. Just because RM's shown himself to be a tremendous coach in the past doesn't mean he shouldn't be recognized as one again.

Chris Mack gets biggest piece of sh!t moron coach of the year. In the ENTIRE nation.

@jimbo --- no argument here. Just can't see it happening. I can see votes going to Giannini, Kellogg, and Martelli over Rick based on the twisted "east coast bias" reference you hear in other places. I hav eno argument with RM as the choice as I'd have no argument with JJj for all-defensive team, BC and KM and DE for some all-conference ocnsiderations across the three teams, certainly a lot of honorable mentions, CE could be sixth man potential ... there is a lot there, just don't think the love will be shared our way as always shown via the polls.

@jimbo --- no argument here. Just can't see it happening. I can see votes going to Giannini, Kellogg, and Martelli over Rick based on the twisted "east coast bias" reference you hear in other places. I hav eno argument with RM as the choice as I'd have no argument with JJj for all-defensive team, BC and KM and DE for some all-conference ocnsiderations across the three teams, certainly a lot of honorable mentions, CE could be sixth man potential ... there is a lot there, just don't think the love will be shared our way as always shown via the polls.

Taj, I can see your point about bias working against RM, either based on his lifetime body of work or 'East Coast'. However, I bet RM is starting to get National Coach of the Year consideration at this point, based on how improved the Billikens are this year. Considering how much attention he has been getting from the national media for the job he has done this season, it would be hard for the A-10 to ignore that and award it to Martelli or Kellogg.

As for 6th Man, I think it should pretty much be a lock for Cody. I know that we are highly biased on this board, but he is the team's 3rd leading scorer and doing it completely from the bench. From the top of my head, I can't think of any other off-the-bench player in the A-10 who has had as big of an impact as Cody has.

As for Most Improved, I just don't think you can justify anyone else in the league over Conk. While he has slumped a bit lately, overall, his numbers are still FAR greater than anything he posted up in the past. He has made himself an impact player this year, and one that other teams need to gameplan around.

Taj, I can see your point about bias working against RM, either based on his lifetime body of work or 'East Coast'. However, I bet RM is starting to get National Coach of the Year consideration at this point, based on how improved the Billikens are this year. Considering how much attention he has been getting from the national media for the job he has done this season, it would be hard for the A-10 to ignore that and award it to Martelli or Kellogg.

As for 6th Man, I think it should pretty much be a lock for Cody. I know that we are highly biased on this board, but he is the team's 3rd leading scorer and doing it completely from the bench. From the top of my head, I can't think of any other off-the-bench player in the A-10 who has had as big of an impact as Cody has.

As for Most Improved, I just don't think you can justify anyone else in the league over Conk. While he has slumped a bit lately, overall, his numbers are still FAR greater than anything he posted up in the past. He has made himself an impact player this year, and one that other teams need to gameplan around.

How was the wedding & Vegas? You are still there, right?

@bizz -- welcome back. Where are the pictures? You know the old saying ".... what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas only after being shared with the Billiken Board." I'm pretty sure that's on the BB official internet community seal and commemorative coin/medallion Sign Kid drew up.

As for Rick as National Coach of the Year --- I don't see it. It is deserved certainly in our eyes, but like the polls again, the idiots that vote these things don't seem to do any research and go with what's sexy and cute in the current moment. In that regard, I can see Frank Haith, Leonard Hamilton, Tom Izzo, Tom Crean, Buzz Peterson and Tommy Amaker all being sexier picks than Majerus.

Most Improved? I'll tell you, after watching Putney again last night .....

Majerus is coach of the year. No one can refute that. Taking us from a losing record to possibly tied for first in the conference, to our first tourney berth in 12 years, with no MARQUEE player... is an incredible achievement.

East coast bias, and superior talent aside...if Dunphy manages to lead Temple to the A10 title, despite losing Scootie Randall (for the season) and Micheal Eric (for half the season), he's A10 coach of the year.

The fact remains Majerus has never been able to beat Dunphy - and given that it didn't happen this year when SLU was at home and Temple was still without Micheal Eric, gives Dunphy a huge edge in the coach of the year argument.

East coast bias, and superior talent aside...if Dunphy manages to lead Temple to the A10 title, despite losing Scootie Randall (for the season) and Micheal Eric (for half the season), he's A10 coach of the year.

The fact remains Majerus has never been able to beat Dunphy - and given that it didn't happen this year when SLU was at home and Temple was still without Micheal Eric, gives Dunphy a huge edge in the coach of the year argument.

I started to say in my original post that I would be okay with Dunphy winning it, but I don't want to concede anything to that sockcucker.

http://www.atlantic1...onferencehonors

Yeah, these things always wind up being senior-heavy. Hopefully less so this year, though, because I think a lot of the best players were not seniors.

I like Majerus for COY. Moore should be POY- leading scorer, senior, best team. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the top five scorers - Moore, Wyatt, Holloway, Gaston, and Nicholson be the first team. Second and third teams will be interesting; no one on SLU stands out statistically but obviously we'd like to see some love for Conklin and Mitchell. Others in the 2nd and 3rd teams should be Jones, Williams, Lyons, Galloway, Monteiro, Dillard, Braswell, and either Pettis or Galloway from LaSalle or maybe Fernandez from Temple.

Defensive team should include Aiken, Garrett, McConnell- last two spots are up for grabs. Holloway will probably get one.

Conklin and Cassity should both make all-academic team.

Wells is probably the ROY. 6th man, I like Ellis. Most improved- no clue.

-BC?

Yeah, he's got a great case for sure. I'm just wondering if there's anyone else who maybe on paper has improved even more, like one of UMass' sophomores, for example. Of course I'd like to see Conk get it.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm about two weeks behind (on the board), but now that the Conference team has been announced, does any of you want to revisit your predictions -- and perhaps eat some crow? (Yeah, I know I'm lame to be bumping this thread from Page 5 when I didn't even make a projection, myself.)