ESPN Bracketology

I would take that right now. I think SLU definitely can beat Gonzaga and would have a fighting chance of beating the projected #3 seed, West Virginia.

Question: Has it been determined if SLU can even be placed in the Midwest Regional, given that the Sweet 16 Round is in St. Louis?

I would too, in a New York second :D

They cannot, since the school itself is hosting the regional.

are you sure about that? i thought the rule was hosting at their normal venue? i.e. if the regional was being held at chaifetz we would not be allowed to play in that regional. i dont know for sure and i have not been able to find the specific ncaa rule in their 17,000 page manual yet either.

are you sure about that? i thought the rule was hosting at their normal venue? i.e. if the regional was being held at chaifetz we would not be allowed to play in that regional. i dont know for sure and i have not been able to find the specific ncaa rule in their 17,000 page manual yet either.

I don't know about the official rule and would like somebody that represents SLU (AV13 or whatever his name is would be a good one) to respond.

That being said, even if we could play in St. Louis, seems highly unlikely the committee would put us in the Midwest regional as a lower seed. The idea that SLU as a 5-12 seed could have a defacto home game over a 1-4 seed in the Sweet 16 round would be a public nightmare for the NCAA so they'd do everything possible to keep us away from this region.

The official rule is there are 2 criteria to meet and you have to meet them both to play in your own city....

1. You can't be the host city

and

2.You can't play in your own venue. ie you must play in a place that you have not played in 4 or more times.

The only way we could play in St. L is if SIU-E were the host and we played at the Ed Dome or Scottrade.

As we are the host city, we are automatically eliminated from playing in the Lou.

can you find a link from the ncaa that says that? not that i dont believe you but i just havent found the rule period.

can you find a link from the ncaa that says that? not that i dont believe you but i just havent found the rule period.

I found it the first time, we had a thread on it. In the few minutes, I looked I couldn't relocate it. I don't have time now to continue to search but I will continue to check and let you know if I find it. The one exception I remember was the Final 4. If your city is hosting the Final 4...no problem. For instance, if Tulane made it to the Final 4 this year they could play in New Orleans. .

I asked Chris May a couple of weeks ago, we cannot play in St. Louis under the current guidelines. It is stupid and may cause us to not host again.

wiz, this is good enough for me. if chris verified it, i think your recollection of the details must be correct.

thanks guys.

I asked Chris May a couple of weeks ago, we cannot play in St. Louis under the current guidelines. It is stupid and may cause us to not host again.

-what does the U get from hosting? i doubt any money as the ncaa seems to grab all they can from the tourney

-i don't think we would be seen as a bad institution if we let the valley and the sports commission or whoever do this going forward as i hope this becomes a problem this year and in the future

The school gets a little bit of exposure. Our name and/or logo will be on the court I believe and people in attendance will hear SLU is hosting.

Also, I would not put it past the NCAA benefits to schools that work with them. Chances to host things for non-revenue sports, maybe even making it a priority to place us nicely geographically in the bracket. For example, putting us in Omaha this year even if we are a lower seed. Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist...

Lastly, here's a quote from Lunardi's FAQ page. Not the NCAA, but I think he'd have this right:

"Who can't go where? Boston College (East), Georgia Tech (South), Saint Louis (Midwest) and Arizona State (West) cannot be placed in their respective regions if they qualify or are selected for the 2012 NCAA field. Each school is hosting a regional final this season. Ohio State (Columbus), Louisville, New Mexico (Albuquerque), Creighton (Omaha), Oregon (Portland) and Duquesne (Pittsburgh) are subregional hosts and would also be bracketed away from their respective sites."