Disturbing story - father biondi

3Bill

Metz is an embarrassment to SLU. Good thing he doesn't speak for all alums. A few points based on the shocking amount of asinine suggestions Metz can put in one thread:

-Biondi stepping down from his post just shy of the length of Fr. Reinert's tenure makes absolutely no sense. He's working on a number of long-term projects, probably more than any of us realize. When he's ready to step down, he will. How long a former President served makes no difference. What makes Fr. Reinert's the standard by which all other Presidents' terms should be limited?

-If there is money for an Easy Ed statue, put it up already. Like earlier posters have suggested, this is decades overdue.

-A patch on the jerseys for Easy Ed would be nice. Surprised this hasn't happened already.

-An American flag on the jerseys is pointless. We don't play in an international setting.

-I wouldn't like to see Fr. Biondi lead us in prayer before games. SLU is only about 50% Catholic today. The alumni base might skew more than 50% Catholic but there are still plenty who aren't. If people want to hear prayers, they can go to mass.

-Anyone who can see beyond black and white can accept the fact that Biondi's Presidency has been a mixed bag. The campus has been transformed, mostly for the better, and the surrounding area has seen some degree of revitalization. Enrollment, applications, programs, endowment- all of these and a lot more have grown while he's been in charge. He's done a lot of little things (like A-Bomb's story, or a few weeks ago when he sat down with my mom and sister for a while to talk with them at her scholarship reception), but by in large has been very surly with the student and alumni populations and unreceptive to ideas from outside. And from our standpoint, he's been no friend of the athletic department. His mixed bag-ness goes way beyond these points, too.

-Finally, the criticism of Fr. Eugene Grollmes is infuriating and disrespectful. He's been chaplain for decades. He's been toughing it out for over a decade after a stroke. He isn't as able to do as much as he used to for student-athletes and other students as he used to (the 1818 program that got me some SLU credit in HS was started by him), but he's still in his spot on the bench for every single home game. He wouldn't be easy to replace with 'young blood' because anyone who knows anything about priests know that there is not much 'young blood' to go around. He'll step down when he wants to, or he'll just do it for the rest of his life. And that's fine. He's easily one of the nicest, most generous individuals I knew in my four years at SLU. And yes, Metz. he leads the players and coaches in a pregame prayer. You have to be a real piece of ###### to talk any ###### about Fr. Grollmes.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously why would you want to honor a basketball HOFer who has his number retired by the Celtics.

He was inducted in the second HOF class in 1960, which was over half a century ago. I bet you ask 50 Celtics fans who #22 was and 47 could not tell you. Also over 7 of the 22 retired numbers played with Ed. If you made the roster they retired your number.

He was inducted in the second HOF class in 1960, which was over half a century ago. I bet you ask 50 Celtics fans who #22 was and 47 could not tell you. Also over 7 of the 22 retired numbers played with Ed. If you made the roster they retired your number.

You're just reinforcing the point that SLU is at least 4 decades late on an Easy Ed statue.

Metz is an embarrassment to SLU. Good thing he doesn't speak for all alums. A few points based on the shocking amount of asinine suggestions Metz can put in one thread:

-Biondi stepping down from his post just shy of the length of Fr. Reinert's tenure makes absolutely no sense. He's working on a number of long-term projects, probably more than any of us realize. When he's ready to step down, he will. How long a former President served makes no difference. What makes Fr. Reinert's the standard by which all other Presidents' terms should be limited?

-If there is money for an Easy Ed statue, put it up already. Like earlier posters have suggested, this is decades overdue.

-A patch on the jerseys for Easy Ed would be nice. Surprised this hasn't happened already.

-An American flag on the jerseys is pointless. We don't play in an international setting.

-I wouldn't like to see Fr. Biondi lead us in prayer before games. SLU is only about 50% Catholic today. The alumni base might skew more than 50% Catholic but there are still plenty who aren't. If people want to hear prayers, they can go to mass.

-Anyone who can see beyond black and white can accept the fact that Biondi's Presidency has been a mixed bag. The campus has been transformed, mostly for the better, and the surrounding area has seen some degree of revitalization. Enrollment, applications, programs, endowment- all of these and a lot more have grown while he's been in charge. He's done a lot of little things (like A-Bomb's story, or a few weeks ago when he sat down with my mom and sister for a while to talk with them at her scholarship reception), but by in large has been very surly with the student and alumni populations and unreceptive to ideas from outside. And from our standpoint, he's been no friend of the athletic department. His mixed bag-ness goes way beyond these points, too.

-Finally, the criticism of Fr. Eugene Grollmes is infuriating and disrespectful. He's been chaplain for decades. He's been toughing it out for over a decade after a stroke. He isn't as able to do as much as he used to for student-athletes and other students as he used to (the 1818 program that got me some SLU credit in HS was started by him), but he's still in his spot on the bench for every single home game. He wouldn't be easy to replace with 'young blood' because anyone who knows anything about priests know that there is not much 'young blood' to go around. He'll step down when he wants to, or he'll just do it for the rest of his life. And that's fine. He's easily one of the nicest, most generous individuals I knew in my four years at SLU. And yes, Metz. he leads the players and coaches in a pregame prayer. You have to be a real piece of ###### to talk any ###### about Fr. Grollmes.

Pistol owns Metz.

You're just reinforcing the point that SLU is at least 4 decades late on an Easy Ed statue.

He has been irrelevant for half a century, why would we want to be stuck with a goofy looking statue for the next 50 years. The athletic department showed how they felt about him when his grandson could not even walk on a less then mediocre Soderberg team.

Slam just released the top 500 NBA players of all time and Easy Ed came in at 81. The only one that I know that has and is deserving of a statue outside of a stadium is Jordan.

http://www.interbasket.net/news/7683/2011/04/top-500-nba-players-of-all-time-slam/

There are a lot better uses of donation money to honor such a great man then a statue or donation to the athletic department.

All I know is that when I started at SLU we were ranked nationally in US News at #72 or so. We are now TIED with ###### MIZZOU at like #99.

G'DAM BIONDI. Get your ###### together. I was expecting us to be top 50 school by the time I graduated.... went the wrong ###### way.

Though I guess I should expect that when I meet a girl on my floor with a 14 ACT score. 14! and got into SLU......

don't you have some cans to collect or something??? :wub:

And that little ***** got dominated by this can collector. ;) Thanks to a little sting operation Steve and I put together, it was bye bye Miz-loser troll! The night he was banned, I celebrated by guzzling a 12-pack of Nati Light and then staggered down to Can Man Recycling on Chouteau with the empties.

West Pine Jim, not sure if I've said this already, but how is it possible that no one thought of your brilliant screenname until August 2011? Brilliant. Might be my favorite of all time.

West Pine Jim, not sure if I've said this already, but how is it possible that no one thought of your brilliant screenname until August 2011? Brilliant. Might be my favorite of all time.

Thanks. I retired in August so now I have the time to not only read the posts but to actually post from time to time. My name is Jim and I used to teach and coach. When I answered the phone in the coaches' office I would always say "(school name) Gym" ! A well-meaning but somewhat ditzy secretary on the line would ask "Is (school name") Marty there ? This became a running joke among the coaches. Seemed like a natural for a screenname and I was glad it was available. BTW, I've wondered, is your avatar the guy on "Parks and Recreation" ?

And that little ***** got dominated by this can collector. ;) Thanks to a little sting operation Steve and I put together, it was bye bye Miz-loser troll! The night he was banned, I celebrated by guzzling a 12-pack of Nati Light and then staggered down to Can Man Recycling on Chouteau with the empties.

Hahahaha nice. I haven't been down on Chouteau in a coon's age. Use to wreck shop on slingers and assh0le pie at the eat-rite there.

Thanks. I retired in August so now I have the time to not only read the posts but to actually post from time to time. My name is Jim and I used to teach and coach. When I answered the phone in the coaches' office I would always say "(school name) Gym" ! A well-meaning but somewhat ditzy secretary on the line would ask "Is (school name") Marty there ? This became a running joke among the coaches. Seemed like a natural for a screenname and I was glad it was available. BTW, I've wondered, is your avatar the guy on "Parks and Recreation" ?

Nice origin story. Well done. I'd like to think I'd have thought of that name if my name were Jim, but I'd be fooling myself.

You are correct. It is Ron "######" Swanson from Parks and Recreation, which is pretty much the funniest show going right now. Every word out of Ron's mouth just kills. (BTW, new episode tonight!)

All I know is that when I started at SLU we were ranked nationally in US News at #72 or so. We are now TIED with ###### MIZZOU at like #99.

G'DAM BIONDI. Get your ###### together. I was expecting us to be top 50 school by the time I graduated.... went the wrong ###### way.

Though I guess I should expect that when I meet a girl on my floor with a 14 ACT score. 14! and got into SLU......

I'm not quite sure who's more dumb, someone that scores a 14 on their ACT or you for believing someone who scored a 14 got into SLU

He has been irrelevant for half a century, why would we want to be stuck with a goofy looking statue for the next 50 years. The athletic department showed how they felt about him when his grandson could not even walk on a less then mediocre Soderberg team.

Slam just released the top 500 NBA players of all time and Easy Ed came in at 81. The only one that I know that has and is deserving of a statue outside of a stadium is Jordan.

http://www.interbasket.net/news/7683/2011/04/top-500-nba-players-of-all-time-slam/

There are a lot better uses of donation money to honor such a great man then a statue or donation to the athletic department.

Please tell me this post was a joke.

are you trolling all of my posts???

I wouldn't come close to calling it trolling. If I was trolling I would have called you an idiot and been done with it. I simply explained to you that I believe that you are wrong and explained why I think there should be an Ed Macauley statue outside Chaifetz. Don't get all indignant about it.

I wouldn't come close to calling it trolling. If I was trolling I would have called you an idiot and been done with it. I simply explained to you that I believe that you are wrong and explained why I think there should be an Ed Macauley statue outside Chaifetz. Don't get all indignant about it.

My sincere apologies good sir, I will never misuse the word troll ever again. The internet is serious business.

If you want to converse more with me about all of this I would be more than happy to listen to your ideas at the game. My picture is here and Im sure I'm not difficult to find.

haha noo that would mean we have to act like civilized people and not internet hooligans

I have thought about this matter for a day or so before posting - I have no problem with not putting up a statue as long as there are never any put up. It seems to me that Kim Tucci should have inquired first if this was possible before going off half cocked and causing a stir. Also, if you use the criteria that none of the students know who some legend is then you would never memorialize anyone.

How can anyone be opposed to this, some friendly donors wanted to provide the statue FREE?

Easy Ed is our only icon, we won the real National Championship with him, he was a huge NBA success.

He is a symbol, and we NEED ONE.

Old guy, yes, but that is how it usually works.

Stan Musial...

I have thought about this matter for a day or so before posting - I have no problem with not putting up a statue as long as there are never any put up. It seems to me that Kim Tucci should have inquired first if this was possible before going off half cocked and causing a stir. Also, if you use the criteria that none of the students know who some legend is then you would never memorialize anyone.

I think this is a good, well-thought post.

I think we all believe it would be a no-brainer if a donor/donors raised the cash to fund a nice memorial to the best athlete to wear a Billiken uniform. That said, Biondi is the only one who makes decisions of any significance at SLU. Perhaps he was sending this message and letting them know that a blessing or permission should be received before working behind his back.