Men's Soccer

Why is the current coach getting a free pass for the type of season we have had. As I recall Dan got crushed on this board before he left and the program has gone down since. I find it interesting that Rutgers is ranked much higher than SLU in the last poll on the 8th. I think it would be short sighted for people to say that he needs 4 years to turn it around. I would say if things are not drastically better next year than we should start wondering whats going on. The grass is not always greener when we already had a good coach. As of Nov. 8, Rutgers #30, SLU #86. Good for Dan for leaving the mess that is the SLU athletic department and shame on all of you that torched Dan and his teams.

People need to face it: SLU is not what it was and that started many years ago with Donigan. McGinty has to rebuild this program from the ground up. If you sit and whine about "But we used to be a Top 10 program.....", then you will be disappointed by the last two years and possibly the next two. The mindset has to be changed when judging SLU. There is no free pass with McGinty; but a realistic and fair assessment has to take into account a couple things. McGinty got off to a late start in recruiting his first year. This year he basically played with a very young team and without two game-changing players in Roach in Sweetin.

Regarding Donigan, I was on his side for many a year and defended him but in talking to ex-players, it's obvious now that Donigan was just not cutting it.

As Skip stated, we do see some promise with the new crop of freshman McGinty took on this year. Is it the same quality as the class of Johnny D? No, but it's a ton better than most of the classes that came through the last few years.

I agree the last two hires are very questionable..the soccer coach and the volleyball coach...losing at home to Fordham...not very good hires by Chris May!!

Wasn't the volleyball team 2nd in conference this year? Don't see anything wrong with that hire so far.

When I was a student at SLU the soccer team under Donnigan was out of control, no discipline whatsoever. McGinty rules with an iron fist, things will change he's got the right mindset, he's gotta get his guys in there with that similar mindset.

Also I believe the VB team is doing pretty well this season, somewhat of a setback but I'm pretty sure they just beat X and are starting he A10 tourny.

On men's soccer; I am hugely disappointed. The A10 is not a very good soccer conference (although currently is pretty "balanced" in that had SLU bothered themselves enough to actually make the conference tournament they might have won the thing) so the whole "not a top 10" program is a complete red herring as they are not even good enough to qualify for the conference tournament of a mediocre to bad conference.

The "young players" thing is also grasping at straws. It is not like SLU has the best young players in their own conference.

On men's soccer; I am hugely disappointed. The A10 is not a very good soccer conference (although currently is pretty "balanced" in that had SLU bothered themselves enough to actually make the conference tournament they might have won the thing) so the whole "not a top 10" program is a complete red herring as they are not even good enough to qualify for the conference tournament of a mediocre to bad conference.

The "young players" thing is also grasping at straws. It is not like SLU has the best young players in their own conference.

How many games have you seen?

It's not like SLU has the best young players in their own conference" Based upon what?

I've seen Kristo, Hildago, Lee, and Manning play quite a bit, and they are good.

They should have beaten X at home (I know should have doesn't count) but they outplayed them and lost on a poorly taken penalty kick that had they made they'd have won the game. They also took Charlotte to overtime.

No, they aren't there yet. But the difference between this team early on and how they played late is huge.

In addition you can't forget they played without Sweet and a Mike Roach that was barely there. No one is saying it wasn't disapointing, just that we believe the needle is pointing up.