According to HTB

ACE

It looks like we might get a commitment soon from Proviso East guard Keith Carter according to HTB. He visited this past weekend. Not sure what happened to the Woodard kid or if Carter was a bigger priority. Maybe HTB can shed some light. I would have preferred a big, but it would be nice to get a player from Proviso East, a program that has produced a lot of good players over the years - Doc Rivers, Dee Brown, Michael Finley, Jacob Pullen. They have at least two other strong D1 prospects this year and play against great competition.

For those worried that the sky was falling after the departure of Porter and Alex, it appears we continue to land players. I have never bought the theory advanced by the RM critics that he is not actively involved with recruiting. Just because you may not see him wasting his time at a local gym watching a 3rd rate prospect, does not mean that he is not recruiting. He has a lot of his own contacts throughout the country and seems to have no problems finding players. From first reading recruiting reports from Nate and now NTB, it seems RM spends plaenty of time traveling to "GO SEE THE KIDS PLAY." If this latest one comes through, RM stole this one from the amazing Porter. All of the scholarships will already be accounted for through the class of 2012. We can now turn our attention to 2013.

It would be nice to have a PG two classes behind Jett / McCall so I can see the need for Carter in the 2012 class. We will need to land bigs in 2013 and that can be helped if we make the NCAA (or even the NIT) this season. If we whiff again this season, I think recruiting gets tougher regardless of who is doing it.

It would be nice to have a PG two classes behind Jett / McCall so I can see the need for Carter in the 2012 class. We will need to land bigs in 2013 and that can be helped if we make the NCAA (or even the NIT) this season. If we whiff again this season, I think recruiting gets tougher regardless of who is doing it.

Sounds like another nice player from Chicago to go along with Mike McCall and Dwayne Evans.

This is a thread from an Illinois board about Keith Carter, there is a nice youtube clip in it with some good looks at him.

Sounds like another nice player from Chicago to go along with Mike McCall and Dwayne Evans.

This is a thread from an Illinois board about Keith Carter, there is a nice youtube clip in it with some good looks at him.

That thread is from 2009. From a quick search it seems like he was very hyped a couple of years ago. He gave a verbal to Loyola in August of this year, then backed out a month later....so I'm not sure what to think.

That thread is from 2009. From a quick search it seems like he was very hyped a couple of years ago. He gave a verbal to Loyola in August of this year, then backed out a month later....so I'm not sure what to think.

Wait, are you telling us that Porter "The Closer" Moser lost a recruit after a verbal? And that we have swooped in to pick up the pieces? But I thought SLU couldn't recruit against Porter in Chicago. Confused am I.

Wait, are you telling us that Porter "The Closer" Moser lost a recruit after a verbal? And that we have swooped in to pick up the pieces? But I thought SLU couldn't recruit against Porter in Chicago. Confused am I.

Obviosly Rick went to Porter lamenting his inabilty to recruit and begged Porter to throw him a bone. To enhance his legend Porter told Carter he should sign with SLU knowing it was no great loss since he would recruit over him anyway.

I love how every time we are mentioned with a recruit it's a chance to say that we are not missing Porter in recruiting. To say that we are setting the world on fire since his departure would be an utter fallacy. We missed out on our top couple of targets and have picked up two players with no BCS offers (that is if we actually land Keith Carter, which is yet to be confirmed).

Porter has secured four verbal commitments from players since taking over as head coach at Loyola and I think it is fair to say his 2012 class at horizon league loyola is better than our 2012 class at SLU so far.

That said, I hope we secure a Carter and/or Woodard commitment to go along with Drew, who I am pleased with.

I love how every time we are mentioned with a recruit it's a chance to say that we are not missing Porter in recruiting. To say that we are setting the world on fire since his departure would be an utter fallacy. We missed out on our top couple of targets and have picked up two players with no BCS offers (that is if we actually land Keith Carter, which is yet to be confirmed).

Porter has secured four verbal commitments from players since taking over as head coach at Loyola and I think it is fair to say his 2012 class at horizon league loyola is better than our 2012 class at SLU so far.

That said, I hope we secure a Carter and/or Woodard commitment to go along with Drew, who I am pleased with.

I really don't want to get in a pissing match with you because I agree with some of what you say, but did the 4 orals at Loyola had BCS offers? I ask because that seems to be an indicator to you of quality (not that I disagree). If not, how do you know their 4 is better than our 1, hopefully 2?

Is it based on the 4 vs. 1 or 2? If so, that is complete b.s. as we only have 2 schollys to give so saying that somebody else's class is better because they had more to give is nonsense.

I really don't want to get in a pissing match with you because I agree with some of what you say, but did the 4 orals at Loyola had BCS offers? I ask because that seems to be an indicator to you of quality (not that I disagree). If not, how do you know their 4 is better than our 1, hopefully 2?

Is it based on the 4 vs. 1 or 2? If so, that is complete b.s. as we only have 2 schollys to give so saying that somebody else's class is better because they had more to give is nonsense.

Nick Osborne - Ohio, Ball State, Fordham, IPFW

Darrell Combs - Detroit, Cleveland State, Manhattan, Eastern Kentucky

Matt O'Leary - American, Northeastern

Jeff White - Valparaiso, Kent State, Missouri State, Bradley, SIU, UIC

while i dont want to compare the signee's since no one will know for about 3 years who is a waste and who is a success (think brett thompson think evans. both were surprises imo, one for the good one for the bad), i see no sense in the porter bashing. i would think we would want him to be somewhat of a success to show off the preparation and growing he did while he was a billiken.

I would say that the average recruit in each team's class is pretty comparable. So I would give Loyola the tiebreaker based on quantity. I haven't really done enough research on it, but I don't think many people could put together an argument that SLU has a better class than Loyola. Equal? Maybe. Nick Osborne had an offer from Northwestern according to some places.

And this doesn't mean a whole lot. We're not directly competing with Loyola. I just think it's silly to act like Porter wouldn't be able to help even more if he were still at SLU.

while i dont want to compare the signee's since no one will know for about 3 years who is a waste and who is a success (think brett thompson think evans. both were surprises imo, one for the good one for the bad), i see no sense in the porter bashing. i would think we would want him to be somewhat of a success to show off the preparation and growing he did while he was a billiken.

p.s. i also think the pining for porter by some posters is ridiculous. my gosh he's gone and he bettered himself. be happy for him and move on to our new recruiters. the fact we do have comparable recruits to what we had been getting and what moser has gotten at loyola is somewhat encouraging. and the fact we only have 2 scholarships to offer might be the reason we only have 2 players signed? i for one am thrilled it appears we arent recruiting over and planning to cut players for once.

Who has suggested that we are setting the world on fire since Porter left? Nobody. The point is that it seems our recruiting has been about the same and certainly no worse since Porter left. And in the case of Carter, Porter may be losing a recruit to RM.

It looks like Porter hasn't been able to land players with BCS offers. We signed Glaze AFTER Porter left and he had multiple BCS offers, so recruiting has not fallen off for SLU. I liked Porter and think he could do well in his hometown, but we will survive without him.

Just like we would want our head coach to do well and not bash him? Hmmm...

P.S. - You actually make a decent point, although the joking about Porter can be funny because some people thought he was God when he was here.

I would say that the average recruit in each team's class is pretty comparable. So I would give Loyola the tiebreaker based on quantity. I haven't really done enough research on it, but I don't think many people could put together an argument that SLU has a better class than Loyola. Equal? Maybe. Nick Osborne had an offer from Northwestern according to some places.

And this doesn't mean a whole lot. We're not directly competing with Loyola. I just think it's silly to act like Porter wouldn't be able to help even more if he were still at SLU.

So a 4-person class (in other words 1/3 of your team) of players you don't think are great gets is better than a 2-person class (1/6 of your team) being not great gets? Nice tiebreaker.

So a 4-person class (in other words 1/3 of your team) of players you don't think are great gets is better than a 2-person class (1/6 of your team) being not great gets? Nice tiebreaker.

-to continue to want to avoid the pissing match, NH using the number of verbals as a criteria to figure the better class would only seem to work if one school had 100% verbals on their number available and the other had less than that

-but if one school only has 2 schollies to give and the other has 4 and the players are equal i am not sure how the getting of 4 is better than the getting of 2 of equal quality

Just like we would want our head coach to do well and not bash him? Hmmm... P.S. - You actually make a decent point, although the joking about Porter can be funny because some people thought he was God when he was here.

want to show me the recent post or any post for that matter that bashes our head coach's basketball coaching performance? i have constantly said i think rickma is and will be a success win loss wise.

my rickma dislike is about his off court demeanor and actions which i dont think reflect saint louis university values. and before billikan gets all indignant, i admit that is my opinion. and i am sorry if he disagrees.

p.s. i also think the pining for porter by some posters is ridiculous. my gosh he's gone and he bettered himself. be happy for him and move on to our new recruiters. the fact we do have comparable recruits to what we had been getting and what moser has gotten at loyola is somewhat encouraging. and the fact we only have 2 scholarships to offer might be the reason we only have 2 players signed? i for one am thrilled it appears we arent recruiting over and planning to cut players for once.

Taken as a whole, I don't think anyone here really *bashes* Porter. He did a good job for us and most of the board was sad to see him go. Any chiding towards Porter seems to be almost entirely intended to mock a certain group of posters who treated the departure of Porter as the Apocalypse for the future of our recruiting and program in general. I don't think anyone really wishes Porter ill will unless he's playing, or recruiting, against the Billikens. And when that is the case, I expect us to take care of business.

Taken as a whole, I don't think anyone here really *bashes* Porter. He did a good job for us and most of the board was sad to see him go. Any chiding towards Porter seems to be almost entirely intended to mock a certain group of posters who treated the departure of Porter as the Apocalypse for the future of our recruiting and program in general. I don't think anyone really wishes Porter ill will unless he's playing, or recruiting, against the Billikens. And when that is the case, I expect us to take care of business.

+1 We're not bashing Porter but mocking the concept that SLU can't recruit without him. I wish Porter well @ Loyola. He was a loyal soldier during his time at SLU.

I would say we have not recruited as well without him. That might be because we're coming off a 12-win season or because we lost Jensen as well. But I would say that our team was in a better position recruiting-wise when Porter was here.

I would say we have not recruited as well without him. That might be because we're coming off a 12-win season or because we lost Jensen as well. But I would say that our team was in a better position recruiting-wise when Porter was here.

You've obviously chosen your stance and insist on sticking with it, but it seems to me that it's too early to tell what the difference is.

I agree with your premise - I tire of this whole talk. However, what do you base your contention that Porter's 2012 class is better then ours when ours is not even finished yet - the fact that he has 4 to fill and we only have 2? the fact that the four he has are better than ours?

+1 We're not bashing Porter but mocking the concept that SLU can't recruit without him. I wish Porter well @ Loyola. He was a loyal soldier during his time at SLU.

he was loyal to my (and many other posters') insatiable lust for slamming fücking irish car bombs after Billie victories, that's for gotdamn sure.