Latest on Realignment

kshoe

This should come as no surprise:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/sports/ncaafootball/West-Virginia-Big-12-Big-East.html?ref=sports

To summarize, if the Big East holds it together as currently proposed with 6 new football schools being added, the basketball conference will have essentially lost Syracuse, Pitt and West Virginia and added Houston, Central Florida and SMU.

They get that big time Orlando market AND George O'Leary... ;)

According to the article there's a good chance Temple gets in the Beast. I'm sure they won't accept being just a FB school, so that kind of hurts the A-10. I don't understand why these BCS conferences just don't get the whole deal done and go to the 4 power conferences eveyone thinks will happen eventually.

Currently as is (Basketball only):

Big East: Marquette, Cincinnati, DePaul, Nova, G-town, Providence, Louisville, Seton Hall, Notre Dame and St. John's.

A-10: Xavier and Temple.

I would offer that the remaining basketball programs in the Big East are still better current basketball royalty than anything the A10 has to offer. I guess if I count Seton hall and St. John's I could add schools like Charlotte and Dayton to the list of "ranked" teams but that is purely subjective; no oen would be right or wrong in the subjective world. I guess one could also reasonably argue St. Joe's for the recent Nelson/West team that was undefeated and #1 for a while but the same could be said for Providence, I guess.

I'd argue that even diluted, Big East basketball is still an easier sell.

Big East: Marquette, Cincinnati, DePaul, Nova, G-town, Providence, Louisville, Seton Hall, Notre Dame and St. John's.

A-10: Xavier and Temple.

I would offer that the remaining basketball programs in the Big East are still better current basketball royalty than anything the A10 has to offer. I guess if I count Seton hall and St. John's I could add schools like Charlotte and Dayton to the list of "ranked" teams but that is purely subjective; no oen would be right or wrong in the subjective world. I guess one could also reasonably argue St. Joe's for the recent Nelson/West team that was undefeated and #1 for a while but the same could be said for Providence, I guess.

I'd argue that even diluted, Big East basketball is still an easier sell.

Clearly the Big East is still better than the A-10 but the gap has certainly narrowed. At this point, the football schools that the basketball only guys are hanging on to are Louisville, Cinci, UConn, South Florida and Rutgers. 3 of those are pretty darn good basketball schools but two don't add anything to the party. If they add the three all sports schools of Houston, SMU and Central Florida it really gets watered down.

If Uconn ever bolts for the ACC like they want to do, the 8 Big East basketball schools will essentially be in a league with 7 other schools, 5 of which play crappy basketball.

I understand the argument that t.v. contracts, etc. are easier to negotiate when football and basketball are commingled but you really do have to wonder why 8 primarily Catholic basketball only schools would want to be in a conference with 7 public schools that don't make sense geographically and really don't add that much to the basketball side of things.

But when you think about the gap being narrowed, there are also long term effects. Recruits were attracted to any team in the big east because the amount of high profile teams. They lost a handful of those and I think this is just the beginning of the Big East dilution.

-i caught just a bit of a conversation about realignment and they were talking about notre dame going to the big12 for sports other than football, that would be another blow to the beast

that would really be ironic if ND went Big 12 and Mizzou had just left.

Cincinatti has a football program. Right? Louisville has a football program. Right?

So doesn't this make ALL 8 of the "basketball only" programs left Catholic schools?

Does this have any significance for realignment? I mean if the Big East splits and football is the dividing line, this could get interesting.

Cincinatti has a football program. Right? Louisville has a football program. Right?

So doesn't this make ALL 8 of the "basketball only" programs left Catholic schools?

Does this have any significance for realignment? I mean if the Big East splits and football is the dividing line, this could get interesting.

-it sounds like either lville or wva is going big 12, further decline of the beast

I thought I heard that that if ND went to the Big 12 that it would only be for other sports and not football - no football then what is the big deal!

I would think most programs including SLU would be happy to schedule ND every year for soccer, basketball, baseball, volleybal, track, swimming, etc

Looks like Pitino certainly understands how much Big East basketball has been weakened.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7152103/rick-pitino-louisville-cardinals-big-east-add-memphis-tigers-temple-owls

Hard to imagine anybody in the Big East would listen to him given that others within his school are pushing HARD to go to the Big 12...at WVU's expense.

This whole things is nothing but one big game of Survivor.

Besides Temple, has there been any talks of anyone else leaving the A-10 or wanting to leave?

If we add VCU, George Mason, and Butler, that would make a 17 team conference and would allow for every team to play each other during the basketball season (16 games).

Looks like Pitino certainly understands how much Big East basketball has been weakened.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7152103/rick-pitino-louisville-cardinals-big-east-add-memphis-tigers-temple-owls

Hard to imagine anybody in the Big East would listen to him given that others within his school are pushing HARD to go to the Big 12...at WVU's expense.

-a very interesting article and pitino calling these other coaches is laughable if lville is pushing to go to the big12, i imagine the conversations.. "hey josh, can you guys improve your fball program? oops, sorry, we are going to the big12, but the beast is still a great league and you should consider it, can we still schedule you as i am looking at a 7th grader in memphis projected to get to 6'9", best in his class" "hey jay, are you cock blocking temple from joining the league? come on, it would be better for ME if we added temple over central florida, i don't really care how it impacts you there in philly"

-pitino has katz eating out of his hand for gosh sake

-i wonder if his president is letting him know what is really happening, if anything, for lville?

I would think most programs including SLU would be happy to schedule ND every year for soccer, basketball, baseball, volleybal, track, swimming, etc

I would think that the scheduling of ND in anything other than football or bb is not a big deal. For a Big 12 team the ND bb team is not a big deal given the access they have to other BCS schools. Now, SLU, I would agree with you.

http://espn.go.com/m...ers-temple-owls

Here is another article indicating that Louisville might go to the Big 12 before WV.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/west-virginia-jay-rockefeller-joe-manchin-big-12-louisville/1

Here is another article indicating that Louisville might go to the Big 12 before WV.

http://content.usato...12-louisville/1

Political interference aside, I don't understand why the Big XII wouldn't just want to bring in both WVU and L'Ville, instead of deciding on one or the other. With Mizzou all but gone for the SEC, adding WVU and L'Ville would put them at 11 teams, with TCU also coming along in 2012. Since the Big XII already poached TCU from the Big East, taking either of the other 2 is going to relegate the Beast to non-BCS status. It doesn't matter if the Beast is trying to add some CUSA schools and Temple to fill out the football membership, with Pitt, Syracuse, TCU and either WVU or L'Ville gone, the BCS is notgoing to consider them worthy of any automatic bowl bid.

With that being the case, the Big XII should do what is best for them and just take the best available football schools from that conference. If they want to fill it out to 12 members, then go ahead and take Cincy as well. The geography is still pretty centrally located, with WVU being the most eastern of the schools and nothing going further west than Texas. With a 12 member conference built to that degree, it then puts a crimp in the plan for there to be 4 super-conferences of 16 teams a piece, as the Big XII would still definitely be considered a power conference.

I don't understand why the B12 doesn't take UL, UC, and WVU and get back to 12 teams. I don't think w/ 10 teams they get a conference playoff game, read extra $$. When Mizzery leaves and with TCU coming in they still need 3 schools to get to 12. And Uconn must be gnawing their arm off. They spent major $ to upgrade their FB program, and I'm sure they didn't do it to face the likes of UCF, Houston, etc. Admire the Beast trying to plug the leaks in the hull, but they are going to have the most disparate and f'd up conference in the history of College sports. Someone get a gun and put it out of it's misery.And screw ND and their FB program. They are just not relevant these days. And if they keep playing like they are they'll be lucky to get a MAC invite.One thing I'd start to worry about if I were the Beast's BB only schools is recruiting. How attractive is the league going to be to ESPN or other major networks with the loss of major BB powers like Pitt, Syr, WVU, and possibly UL and UC? Then if CT can find a way into the ACC, which they likely will soon enough, along with Rutgers, Beast BB is going to take a huge hit. Wouldn't they think that a power conference of BB only schools by adding X, Butler, Dayton, and hopefully, SLU would be a better sell?

I don't understand why the B12 doesn't take UL, UC, and WVU and get back to 12 teams. I don't think w/ 10 teams they get a conference playoff game, read extra $$. When Mizzery leaves and with TCU coming in they still need 3 schools to get to 12. And Uconn must be gnawing their arm off. They spent major $ to upgrade their FB program, and I'm sure they didn't do it to face the likes of UCF, Houston, etc. Admire the Beast trying to plug the leaks in the hull, but they are going to have the most disparate and f'd up conference in the history of College sports. Someone get a gun and put it out of it's misery.And screw ND and their FB program. They are just not relevant these days. And if they keep playing like they are they'll be lucky to get a MAC invite.One thing I'd start to worry about if I were the Beast's BB only schools is recruiting. How attractive is the league going to be to ESPN or other major networks with the loss of major BB powers like Pitt, Syr, WVU, and possibly UL and UC? Then if CT can find a way into the ACC, which they likely will soon enough, along with Rutgers, Beast BB is going to take a huge hit. Wouldn't they think that a power conference of BB only schools by adding X, Butler, Dayton, and hopefully, SLU would be a better sell?

please always speak of this as a sure thing and not in a hopeful tone. the second Linus said "the great pumpkin might show up", it was over.

seriously, the only thing i am hoping for is that the good father and Chris May are spending huge amounts of time and efforts to make sure we are included in any shifting.

This obligation probably falls more on RM's shoulders than anyone. Although, FR B should definitely be a main player with the Presidents of the remaining Beast BB only's if it comes to pass at all. Frankly, I'm surprised those guys have not held a meeting to discuss their futures w/o FB teams. I can't imagine they're gonna be too thrilled with the watered down BB schools the Beast is considering bringing in. But back to RM for a moment. He knows Lavin well and probaby some of those other coaches from his days at ESPN. One would hope he'd get them to endorse SLU as a member.