Annual Plea for SLU Football

+1.

Watch 5-10 years from now when the conferences shake up, SLU will be left in the dust. Marquette, Xavier, etc. may not have D1 programs but they are at least in position where they could more easily start one if it means a ticket into the conference that they want.

There is a correlation between good conferences and those with football.

Too bad there's zero chance that we could have a BCS caliber football team within the next 10 years. It isn't going to happen! Stop being so delusional people

P.S. I love some of the enthusiasm that some of you have for this and our athletic program in general. We just aren't going to have a good D1 football program within the forseeable future which is what we would need to make one of the possible super conferences. The Catholic basketball conference is the best chance we have at an elite conference.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

again, i have absolutely no problem with a club team. my son played club baseball for slu and i enjoyed the hell out of those games and the students that were part of those teams did a great job not only playing but administering the whole thing. i am all for that kind of approach.

but to me, club team means no athletic department support whatsoever.

+1.

Watch 5-10 years from now when the conferences shake up, SLU will be left in the dust. Marquette, Xavier, etc. may not have D1 programs but they are at least in position where they could more easily start one if it means a ticket into the conference that they want.

There is a correlation between good conferences and those with football.

What will help Xavier and Marquette be in good basketball conferences is the fact that they tend to have competitive teams every year. It has nothing to do with their club football teams and doubt any basketball conference would take that into consideration.

Do you really think a conference is going to scratch their head about whether or not to take SIUE because they have some of their students are playing football on campus? I don't think so.

The thing is, there is a 3 to 1 ratio of D-1 basketball schools compared to FBS schools. There are more schools trying to become D-1 in basketball every season, more than schools moving up to FBS. There are ALWAYS going to be basketball only conferences in D-1. Why not have SLU put together a successful basketball program first before going for pie in the sky notions about building a football program?

again, i have absolutely no problem with a club team. my son played club baseball for slu and i enjoyed the hell out of those games and the students that were part of those teams did a great job not only playing but administering the whole thing. i am all for that kind of approach.

but to me, club team means no athletic department support whatsoever.

Like conferences will never shake up ever again.

Club football is great if it satisfies demand among current students.

On the other hand, nonscholarship NCAA football (e.g. Pioneer Football League) would be the better choice if you want to increase male enrollment and tuition revenue. The NCAA brand is the way to attract 100+ male students who would otherwise take their money elsewhere.

A few years ago the PFL, Ivy League, and the Northeast Conference (Duquesne et al.) were nonscholarship D-I leagues. With the NEC now allowing scholarships, only the PFL and Ivy remain nonscholarship (Patriot League athletic departments actually buy out student loans for football players).

How do you develop Ivy League-type tradition? It starts with getting a team.

So, in the Midwest, the PFL is the only affordable show in town. Typical team budget is under a million bucks. Tuition revenue is typically 2.5 mil, making a subsidy worthwhile.

A proper facility for at least 5,000 spectators would be a private funding challenge for SLU.

PFL member Butler has renovated its football stadium; no apparent harm to the basketball program, either. Mercer and Stetson are starting teams that will be on the field in 2013. St. Louis can do this.

http://pflfan.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general

As a Fordham grad, '91, I can say that adding football is not recommended. On such a small student body, it puts too many athletes on campus, diluting other aspects of college life. I went there when there were no scholarships, so they were students who happened to play football. Throw in scholarships and, well, it changes things.

I recently went back for my 20 year reunion, and not one fine memory involved Jack Coffey Field. It just wasn't part of my campus life and I really enjoyed going to school in the Bronx.

Signed,

Someone who screamed 'FU' a lot in college.

Why does Fordham field a football team?

Among the answers- the alumni want it, and it adds to the college experience. Fordham competes for students with schools such as Boston College, Villanova, and Holy Cross, all of whom have football.

Fordham is increasing its commitment to college football, and is in its second year of being a FCS scholarship program.

If Fordham can have football, so could SLU have football.

Why does Fordham field a football team?

Among the answers- the alumni want it, and it adds to the college experience. Fordham competes for students with schools such as Boston College, Villanova, and Holy Cross, all of whom have football.

Fordham is increasing its commitment to college football, and is in its second year of being a FCS scholarship program.

If Fordham can have football, so could SLU have football.

Two words - Vince Lombardi

Posted Image

I translate it as:

Willie Reed Applebee's X-Box

And this seems like the perfect place for this thread to end! :D

Or reading top to bottom, left to right, I guess you could translate it as:

Willie Nelson smoked an apple bong and got all monkeyed out, then ended up with a kid because of some sweet box.

Whatever you need to get you through till next season.