Conference shakeups-again but for real?

slu72

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope this can all lead to SLU leaving the A-10 in the near future.

Far from likely, but it would be cool if the big 12 could become a hybrid football and non-football conference like the Big East. Our girl's volleyball, men's soccer are up to that caliber, but it will take some consistent success from other programs especially basketball. And yes I don't think this is likely at all, but I am just trying to think of the best possible situation from all this.

This is why Butler will never join another existing conference - this break-up of the Big East and the resulting fall out isn't just a possibility, its a likelihood.

I think if the SEC and Pac-10 go to 16, the Big Ten hits Yahtzee and gets Texas and Notre Dame. Iowa State, Baylor, and possiblity a couple others have nowhere to go other than Conference USA or MWC.

What becomes REALLY interesting is that if the Big East loses who they could be losing on the football side (Pitt, WVU, etc) and the MWC gains said teams, I think you are looking at a change in auto-qualifier status. This, of course, would hasten the consolidation of like schools in conferences (new or otherwise)

Put that non-football, post Big East fallout conference on paper - its a Top 2-4 basketball league every year.

Why would the Big 10 take Iowa St and Baylor when they could have KU and MU?

Kshoe's probably right about alliances. We all know how MU and DePaul stuck with us when CUSA got raided. But let's look at the numbers for a second and what would be left of the Beast if it FB schools go elsewhere.

NOVA, GU, ST J,, PROV, SHALL, MU, DEPAUL, ND. Take out ND as they will take their football and go to the Big 10. That leaves 7 teams, so they invite X, DU, and Duquense for sure. Giving them a ten team conference. But if they add SLU and say Detroit (granted that might be a stretch) or Creighton, they have TV exposure in most of the countries major TV markets and can round out the divisions into West and East to cut down on travel expenses. I can't see why SLU would be left out no matter how we do on the court. The rest don't care if they have a doormat to beat up on every year. Not saying we would be, just that it doesn't matter. Like N.Western playing in the Big 10 or Vandy (football) in the SEC. East Div is: GU, St. John, Prov, S.Hall, Nova, and Duquense. West is X, UD, SLU, MU, DePaul, and a Creighton or a Detroit. Perfect. Get her done.

Why would Duquense be assured of a spot? We have as much if not more to offer. Geography would be the only reason and that makes no sense because they are already traveling to Marq and Depaul.

The next 2 basketball seasons are important for SLU on multiple levels. It would be good to make the NCAA Tournament and make a splash once SLU get there.

Winning increases visiblity, which in turn makes SLU more attractive in conference realignment. SLU has a whole lot going for it that needs to be seen nationally and by the decision makers.

The team should have a good shot this coming season, as well as next. Every game counts. Protecting the home court is a key.

The next 2 basketball seasons are important for SLU on multiple levels. It would be good to make the NCAA Tournament and make a splash once SLU get there.

Winning increases visiblity, which in turn makes SLU more attractive in conference realignment. SLU has a whole lot going for it that needs to be seen nationally and by the decision makers.

The team should have a good shot this coming season, as well as next. Every game counts. Protecting the home court is a key.

Yes. The next 2 years are huge. Any program can have 2 good years but for SLU, it would be on the heels of SLU investing heavily into the program with Chaifetz and RM shortly after making improvements to the soccer program (on campus games at Hermann Stadium) and now multi year contract for McGinty (sp?), improvements in the other sports programs (volleyball comes to mind) and now new track/team. Large urban Jesuit school with really good academics, impressive endowment and greatly improved campus. SLU is trending up and if success on the court/fields occur, we will benefit for years to come. Again, our strongest asset just might be our TV market (wasn't STL #18 for NFL?).

Posted Image

I realize everyone is going to have their own opinion on how to rank programs or even if it is possible to. But here is one very quick way I came up with. I weighted the sports differently because obviously basketball and golf don't have the same sort of importance.

From last year, SLU came in second to last for men's sports.

BrianSTL, that could be true, and I think it's a great point. It's just really hard to tell at this point how long it will be until the conference movement really starts to get crazy. There's already been quite a bit of movement, but a lot of schools still seem hesitant. No one wants to be left on the outside looking in, of course, but most seem to be scared of a debacle like A&M is experiencing right now.

No matter what conference we're in, we need to win now.

BrianSTL, that could be true, and I think it's a great point. It's just really hard to tell at this point how long it will be until the conference movement really starts to get crazy. There's already been quite a bit of movement, but a lot of schools still seem hesitant. No one wants to be left on the outside looking in, of course, but most seem to be scared of a debacle like A&M is experiencing right now.

No matter what conference we're in, we need to win now.

That being said having 1 great season(NCAA tournament) in the past 10 years isn't going to get us anywhere. I really fear this conference shakeup, I see us getting the shaft and to be honest you can't really blame anyone but SLU

That being said having 1 great season(NCAA tournament) in the past 10 years isn't going to get us anywhere. I really fear this conference shakeup, I see us getting the shaft and to be honest you can't really blame anyone but SLU

Not disagreeing with you, but what should SLU be doing differently?

Higher salaries and budgets for coaches? Perhaps that may have kept Anne Kordes from returning to her alma mater, but perhaps not.

Facilities are great. Should/Could we make them any better?

I looked into expenditures/revenues of different A-10 schools and it seems SLU is pretty close with most other programs. One big difference that I saw with us and Xavier, which is expected but noteworthy is the fact that for men's basketball revenue. We have 3.7 million and they have over 10 million.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetails.aspx?756e697469643d31373931353926796561723d323030392673656172636843726974657269613d33313364373336313639366537343230366336663735363937333230373536653639373636353732373336393734373932363732363437343364333932663331333132663332333033313331323033313331336133323339336133323330323034313464267264743d392f31312f323031312031313a32393a323020414d

or

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstList.aspx --- Select SLU

Why is Men's Total of Head Coaches' Salaries: $844,692

Did they completely exclude Majerus' salary? The data is from 2009 I believe.

Not disagreeing with you, but what should SLU be doing differently?

Higher salaries and budgets for coaches? Perhaps that may have kept Anne Kordes from returning to her alma mater, but perhaps not.

Facilities are great. Should/Could we make them any better?

We shouldn't have turned down a home and home series Seton Hall wanted to start with us last year.

Assuming true, why did SLU turn that down? Seton Hall is a Big East basketball school- and a possible future vote.

We chose to become a buy game at Duke instead of starting the home and home at Seton Hall. Couldn't do both because of the number of home games we need to play each year to make the numbers on the arena work.

We chose to become a buy game at Duke instead of starting the home and home at Seton Hall. Couldn't do both because of the number of home games we need to play each year to make the numbers on the arena work.

That's a tough call, but I think putting Duke on the schedule was good. We have plenty of tough teams this year.

That's a tough call, but I think putting Duke on the schedule was good. We have plenty of tough teams this year.

It really isn't that tough of a call. You set up series and the relationship with the team you hope to someday become conference members with instead of taking the money to play Duke. The Duke buy game situation would have sucked even if we would have won the game.

I said it at the time that it was a terrible decision.

It really isn't that tough of a call. You set up series and the relationship with the team you hope to someday become conference members with instead of taking the money to play Duke. The Duke buy game situation would have sucked even if we would have won the game.

I said it at the time that it was a terrible decision.

Biondi wants the CA$$$$H

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/article_96b19b28-bbe3-11df-9e2a-00127992bc8b.html

The need to have 18 home games for financial reasons got in the way of another big-name opponent. There was an opportunity for a home-and-home series with Seton Hall of the Big East, but Seton Hall wanted the series to start at their place this season, while SLU needed it to start at Chaifetz.

Instead, SLU added Rockhurst. "We'll make a ton of money on the Rockhurst game, rather than playing a Big East team home and home," Majerus said. "I'm a team player, I understand that financially. Hopefully it doesn't come back to haunt us when the NCAA field is picked."

Though the game with Chicago State may look like one of those games that's on the schedule to fill it out - Chicago State was 9-23 last season with an RPI of 347 - it's actually the first game of a home-and-home because next season, it's Kwamain Mitchell's homecoming game. Majerus said efforts to get a school in Mitchell's hometown of Milwaukee or one of the bigger schools in Chicago such as DePaul were unsuccessful.

Rethinking... I like this much better. More importantly I think the schools would too....

Butler University - West

Dayton University - West

DePaul University - West

Marquette University - West

St Louis University - West

Xavier University - West

Georgetown University - East

Providence College - East

St. John's University - East

Seton Hall University - East

Villanova University - East

Saint Joseph's University - East

-----

You'd have true home-and-homes, in-division, and 3 road and 3 away (yearly rotation) out-of-division.

It is clean. It makes sense for the non-revenue sports. And, most importantly it is as "high major" as the non-football schools are going to be able to accomplish.

According to the NYT Cuse and Pitt are in talks to join the ACC.

And thus begins the scramble for the rest of the big east football schools to look elsewhere. West Virginia to the sec is a natural.

I'm sure the others are putting out feelers to the big 10, big 12 leftovers etc in hopes of finding a bcs home.