OT: Mmm Ribs....

bk18

Am I the only person who thinks Pappy's is overrated?

If you don't like ribs or if you prefer brisket, I can see that. I prefer my brisket with a little more fat. But their ribs are my favorite of anywhere I have ever been. I love the rub, the right amount of bark, and the smoked yet tender meat. I like how they cut their pulled pork in front of you as opposed to places that let it sit in water.

In the area, I also like PM BBQ.

I went to 17th Street to see what all the fuss was about and I found their ribs completely overrated. They use baby back ribs and get to much bark compared to available meat.

Went to Memphis recently, Central BBQ had nice ribs, did not like Rendevouz's ribs.

I think the best BBQ places are the places where the focus is on the meat as opposed to the sauce.

Is there a reason some places have such great sauces? Is it because you drown the meat in great sauce?

Pappy's does have some fine ribs. Some of the best barbecue I have ever eaten is out of Owensboro, KY.

If you don't like ribs or if you prefer brisket, I can see that. I prefer my brisket with a little more fat. But their ribs are my favorite of anywhere I have ever been. I love the rub, the right amount of bark, and the smoked yet tender meat. I like how they cut their pulled pork in front of you as opposed to places that let it sit in water.

I went to 17th Street to see what all the fuss was about and I found their ribs completely overrated. They use baby back ribs and get to much bark compared to available meat.

Went to Memphis recently, Central BBQ had nice ribs, did not like Rendevouz's ribs.

FYI - While I agree on Pappy's brisket, Bogart's - a spin-off of Pappy's - has terrific brisket. Their ribs are about the same.

Pappy's pulled pork is the best I've ever had - ahead of KC and Memphis joints.

I think the best BBQ places are the places where the focus is on the meat as opposed to the sauce.

Is there a reason some places have such great sauces? Is it because you drown the meat in great sauce?

Pappy's does have some fine ribs. Some of the best barbecue I have ever eaten is out of Owensboro, KY.

This is the case when it comes to Gates. Great sauce but the meat is average.

Arch did you go to 17th street over in OFallon or did you go to murphysboro? Ofallon is reAlly still super smokers. You need to visit the original in murphysboro. Imo far far better.

I like rendevouz in memphis a lot. Personally my favorite of all time. I think pappy's is fine as well. Prob my second fav ribs is mark's feedbag in louisville.

-i've not had a bad meal there, but it is also not good enough for me to wait in line 25 minutes at lunch, but people sure do it

-pappy's has to be jumping for joy over this ranking, good for them

-last fall i was there for dinner before a vball game and the folks behind in line were on their way from KC to chicago and stopped just for dinner, wasn't much selection remaining but they enjoyed it

-there was a place in ATL, not far from the dome, that had good bbq and i can't remember the name and don't see it online

The brisket is nothing special, ribs are very good, pulled pork and chicken are also good, big fan of thesweet potato fries . Arthur Bryants' burnt ends still top on my list of bbq though

Except, as it turns out, the entire article was BS. An actual journalist called Zagat, Zagat freaked at the misinterpretation of its list, and HuffPost completely overhauled its story. Gotta love them news aggregation sites.

(Not that Pappy's ain't great. It's just that the list was in no way meant to be the "top 10 barbecue restaurants in America," as HuffPost originally had it headlined.)

-i've not had a bad meal there, but it is also not good enough for me to wait in line 25 minutes at lunch, but people sure do it

-pappy's has to be jumping for joy over this ranking, good for them

-last fall i was there for dinner before a vball game and the folks behind in line were on their way from KC to chicago and stopped just for dinner, wasn't much selection remaining but they enjoyed it

-there was a place in ATL, not far from the dome, that had good bbq and i can't remember the name and don't see it online

My thoughts exactly. It's very good but the wait is unbelievable.

Phone in your order and it'll be waiting for you.

Always a taste treat at Pappy's but the line out the door can be a turnoff. Went to Bogarts for the first time this week; the ribs were delicious and very meaty and the brisket was uniquely tender. Moonlite Inn in Owensboro, Ky. has to be one of the best BBQ restaurants in any state. I agree with the previous post about Gates' sauce. Oklahoma Joe's is hard to beat in KC.

When I was a kid Phil's was actually pretty good. I heard there was some kind of family war that happened and the place was never the same.

Yep. Heard the same thing. It was decent back in the day. Had it a year or so ago and it was nothing special.

Yes. :P

With the exception of the hot links, I'm pretty sure I've tried all different kind of meat they have at Pappy's. While some here have said they're not a big fan of the brisket there, I think it's excellent. Also really like the ribs, pulled chicken, and actually the turkey has a great flavor as well. I thought the pulled pork was good, but I just prefer the other stuff.

I moved to Carbondale a few weeks ago to start law school at SIU, and I got to eat at the 17th Street in Murphysboro in June when I was down here checking stuff out. Good ribs at 17th street. I ordered a combo thing with a few ribs and some brisket, and in hindsight, I should've gotten just the ribs. Compared to what I'm used to with Pappy's and what I enjoy with the brisket, this one was lacking.

I'm a big fan of the Memphis dry rub style, and thus I'm a big fan of Rendezvous. In the past, you have been able to buy the Rendezvous dry rub at Schnucks, so you can put it on your ribs at home.

The brisket is nothing special, ribs are very good, pulled pork and chicken are also good, big fan of thesweet potato fries . Arthur Bryants' burnt ends still top on my list of bbq though

I love sweet potato fries. But I did not like the ones at Pappy's because they had too much sugar on them - way too sweet for me.

Posted Image

I've never been. Do they have a real pig inside there? That'd be kind of awkward. Would people feed it pigs?

I have heard good things, but the best Barbecue I have ever had was at Arthur Bryant's. Maybe it was the sauce.

Arch did you go to 17th street over in OFallon or did you go to murphysboro? Ofallon is reAlly still super smokers. You need to visit the original in murphysboro. Imo far far better.

I like rendevouz in memphis a lot. Personally my favorite of all time. I think pappy's is fine as well. Prob my second fav ribs is mark's feedbag in louisville.

I went to the one in O'Fallon, so that may have been the problem.

I also like Arthur Bryant's ribs. My wife was not too keen on their pulled pork, which had been sitting in some water.

I enjoyed everthing else about Rendevouz, rub, sides, sauce, ambiance, but the meat in the ribs were dry and hard. May have been just a bad piece.