The formal dissolvement of the what was the Big XII begins in earnest

The Texas A&M Board of Regents will formally announce a move to the Southeastern Conference (SEC) on Monday, Aug. 22 in College Station.

The whole "Longhorn Network" thing really pissed off a bunch of people in Aggieland.

If they do go to the SEC, the A&M-Arkansas games in Dallas will be quite the spectacle - now that they'll mean something - and a renewal of a great old SWC match-up.

The Bama games will be intriguing and nods to two great coaches that roamed the sidelines in College Station before becoming legends in Tuscaloosa (no, not Dennis Franchione) - Bear and Gene Stallings.

Other than that, I think A&M will be competitive in all non-football sports - baseball is fresh off a trip to Omaha, the Lady Aggies cut down the nets and both men's and women's track and field are top programs. They went from a big fish in a big pond in the Big XII to a small fish in a shark tank in the SEC, if you ask me. However, it seems that after the debacle of the Coach Fran years that Mike Sherman has it firing on all cylinders in Aggieland, but I can't see them hanging around the likes of LSU, Florida, Alabama and Auburn year in and year out.

*** if A&M goes, they'll have 13 teams -- look for the SEC to also make a play for Florida State.

Short of Texas in football and Kansas in basketball, the Big Twelve is relatively inconsequential other than a space-eater at bid time in terms of a national title. Given that the schools involved are way above a Jesuit-run, private, small college/university, a dissolution of such a conference will have little direct effect on us.

Short of Texas in football and Kansas in basketball, the Big Twelve is relatively inconsequential other than a space-eater at bid time in terms of a national title. Given that the schools involved are way above a Jesuit-run, private, small college/university, a dissolution of such a conference will have little direct effect on us.

True, but don't count out a domino effect this could have if the Big XII reaches into other conferences to get their ducks in row.

True, but don't count out a domino effect this could have if the Big XII reaches into other conferences to get their ducks in row.

exactly.

I agree with this thought. I don't think the Big 12 is going to just give up and dissolve. I see it more likely that they will reach into C-USA and grab some teams from there to fill out the league. Also the WAC and MWC. Even if Oklahoma and A&M are not happy having to play second fiddle to Texas and willing to go elsewhere, teams like SMU, UTEP, Houston and New Mexico will gladly take the increased revenues and BCS designation that the Big 12 offers them.

I agree with this thought. I don't think the Big 12 is going to just give up and dissolve. I see it more likely that they will reach into C-USA and grab some teams from there to fill out the league. Also the WAC and MWC. Even if Oklahoma and A&M are not happy having to play second fiddle to Texas and willing to go elsewhere, teams like SMU, UTEP, Houston and New Mexico will gladly take the increased revenues and BCS designation that the Big 12 offers them.

Don't forget about TCU, although Baylor will do everything in their power to keep the Horned Frogs out of the Big XII. There's hatred, then there's Baylor's hatred of TCU and TCU's hatred of Baylor. I think the first thing I learned when I moved to Dallas is that Baylor people and TCU people have a bit of a history that's as heated as a hazy August day. Always good when two "Christian" schools hate each other. TCU and Baylor once shared the same city - Waco - until TCU's Waco campus burned to the ground and Baylor alum and former Texas Gov. Ann Richards kept TCU on the outside-looking-in when the SWC dissolved in '96.

I am assuming this is true - it would seem that TCU would be better served in the Big 12 then the Big East. What schools would make sense for the Big 12 - Memphis - bad football, can't think of another.

Really? The one thing I've noticed being from the area and having family close to the TCU program is that no one cares about TCU, Baylor, or SMU. To have a rivalry and hate, someone has to care.

You're right about no one caring about TCU, SMU and Baylor - but all those people who don't care are A&M, UT and Tech boosters. TCU doesn't care about SMU, they've won the last handful of match-ups going away. What's an Iron Skillet anyway?! :) TCU also has three well-placed billboards on US-75 in Dallas proper, one of them on 75 and Mockingbird, which is essentially on the SMU campus. I always get a kick out of seeing that on my way into downtown each morning. Brass balls from TCU to put those ads there!

Don't forget about TCU, although Baylor will do everything in their power to keep the Horned Frogs out of the Big XII. There's hatred, then there's Baylor's hatred of TCU and TCU's hatred of Baylor. I think the first thing I learned when I moved to Dallas is that Baylor people and TCU people have a bit of a history that's as heated as a hazy August day. Always good when two "Christian" schools hate each other. TCU and Baylor once shared the same city - Waco - until TCU's Waco campus burned to the ground and Baylor alum and former Texas Gov. Ann Richards kept TCU on the outside-looking-in when the SWC dissolved in '96.

I think TCU is going to stay put in the Big East anyway. They already made their BCS move and don't think they are interested in jumping ship right away.

As stated before, I just think that there is too much interest from non-BCS teams looking to move up to a power conference that the Big 12 isn't going to dissolve anytime soon, regardless of the decisions made by A&M and Oklahoma. The SEC will move to 14 teams and the Big 12 will poach C-USA to fill out their league. Even if it makes the Big 12 seem weaker in football, they will still be deemed BCS worthy and most likely still as or even more competitive than the Big East and ACC.

I know that there is a mindset out there that in the end, there will be only 4 super-power conferences and the ACC and Big 12 will be swallowed up. While it might seem like that is inevitable, there are just too many other non-BCS schools that are more than willing to replace the ship jumpers.

Texas just may become the ND of the south and go independent in football which would all but kill the Big XII.

That's a big possibility...but there's a reporter at the Houston Chronicle that's saying the Big XII would actually reach out to Notre Dame and BYU.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/7694204.html

I think TCU is going to stay put in the Big East anyway. They already made their BCS move and don't think they are interested in jumping ship right away.

As stated before, I just think that there is too much interest from non-BCS teams looking to move up to a power conference that the Big 12 isn't going to dissolve anytime soon, regardless of the decisions made by A&M and Oklahoma. The SEC will move to 14 teams and the Big 12 will poach C-USA to fill out their league. Even if it makes the Big 12 seem weaker in football, they will still be deemed BCS worthy and most likely still as or even more competitive than the Big East and ACC.

I know that there is a mindset out there that in the end, there will be only 4 super-power conferences and the ACC and Big 12 will be swallowed up. While it might seem like that is inevitable, there are just too many other non-BCS schools that are more than willing to replace the ship jumpers.

What I find confusing is that the BCS schools wanted fewer schools to share the money and spotlight so all this moving around only cause an increase in the number of schools in the BCS. NCAA football schools is like trying to herd cats.

Look for Mizzou and KU to join the football schools in the Big East. The Big East will be done as the conference that exist today.

ESPN honks reporting a rumor that TAMU is definite, and the three other probables are FSU, Clemson, and Mizzou. As with last time I'm assuming I'll get to hear 700 different rumors about the possible shakedown, but it certainly looks as though the super-conferences aren't far off.

ESPN honks reporting a rumor that TAMU is definite, and the three other probables are FSU, Clemson, and Mizzou. As with last time I'm assuming I'll get to hear 700 different rumors about the possible shakedown, but it certainly looks as though the super-conferences aren't far off.

Just got that text too...nothing makes my morning like waking up to a text from Doug Gottlieb.

The Texas A&M Board of Regents will formally announce a move to the Southeastern Conference (SEC) on Monday, Aug. 22 in College Station.

The whole "Longhorn Network" thing really pissed off a bunch of people in Aggieland.

If they do go to the SEC, the A&M-Arkansas games in Dallas will be quite the spectacle - now that they'll mean something - and a renewal of a great old SWC match-up.

The Bama games will be intriguing and nods to two great coaches that roamed the sidelines in College Station before becoming legends in Tuscaloosa (no, not Dennis Franchione) - Bear and Gene Stallings.

Other than that, I think A&M will be competitive in all non-football sports - baseball is fresh off a trip to Omaha, the Lady Aggies cut down the nets and both men's and women's track and field are top programs. They went from a big fish in a big pond in the Big XII to a small fish in a shark tank in the SEC, if you ask me. However, it seems that after the debacle of the Coach Fran years that Mike Sherman has it firing on all cylinders in Aggieland, but I can't see them hanging around the likes of LSU, Florida, Alabama and Auburn year in and year out.

*** if A&M goes, they'll have 13 teams -- look for the SEC to also make a play for Florida State.

Really should be OT

I believe three things have to trigger in order for the A10 to feel a direct impact:

1. A&M actually has to jump to the SEC - that now appears to be a done deal; CBS even reported on it during the PBA's coverage today.

2. The SEC then has to raid the ACC for a school. Rumors are that the SEC is going to 16 now, adding A&M and having them joined by FSU, Mizzou and Clemson.

3. With the ACC down one and maybe two teams, it looks back to its old friend's pantry, the BE, for its replacements, but this time it's about replace-plus-grow. That probably means Syracuse, Pitt, UConn and Rutgers (or WVU instead of Rutgers if academics aren't a big deal).

Those three dominos essentially blow up the BE. If the Big XII does find a way to hold together - and I doubt it holds together for long anyway, given what Texas has been able to pull off with its own network and with the rev share arrangement in the conference itself - the old C-USA schools, USF and one of WVU or somebody are left holding the bag.

The "more gasoline on the fire" scenario is the Pac10 Commish's announcement that he has solved for a 14 or 16 program platform for television, thereby enabling people to plant palm trees in Norman and Stillwater, which probably would blow up the Big XII. Texas, if that happens? Laughing hysterically, as it probably was and is navigating towards independence anyway.

So much for a boring summer.

I believe three things have to trigger in order for the A10 to feel a direct impact:

1. A&M actually has to jump to the SEC - that now appears to be a done deal; CBS even reported on it during the PBA's coverage today.

2. The SEC then has to raid the ACC for a school. Rumors are that the SEC is going to 16 now, adding A&M and having them joined by FSU, Mizzou and Clemson.

3. With the ACC down one and maybe two teams, it looks back to its old friend's pantry, the BE, for its replacements, but this time it's about replace-plus-grow. That probably means Syracuse, Pitt, UConn and Rutgers (or WVU instead of Rutgers if academics aren't a big deal).

Those three dominos essentially blow up the BE. If the Big XII does find a way to hold together - and I doubt it holds together for long anyway, given what Texas has been able to pull off with its own network and with the rev share arrangement in the conference itself - the old C-USA schools, USF and one of WVU or somebody are left holding the bag.

The "more gasoline on the fire" scenario is the Pac10 Commish's announcement that he has solved for a 14 or 16 program platform for television, thereby enabling people to plant palm trees in Norman and Stillwater, which probably would blow up the Big XII. Texas, if that happens? Laughing hysterically, as it probably was and is navigating towards independence anyway.

So much for a boring summer.

From what I've heard many people in the SEC question what Florida State would bring to the conference. They feel like they already have the state's T.V. market covered with Florida. Clemson is also a question mark since they really haven't shown dominance in any sport lately.

Surprisingly enough, I'm hearing that Mizzou is well respected by SEC high-ups and a viable option. If they were to add them they would likely move Auburn or LSU to the Eastern division.

If the SEC wants to go to 16 teams what you said is obviously a very realistic possibility. I'm just not sure that they're ready to make that jump.

You really feel like Texas in football and Kansas in basketball are the only national title threats? Oklahoma is always a thread to win a national title in football. And as far as basketball, Since 2000 Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State have all been the final four at least once and K-State, Baylor, Iowa State and Mizzou have all been the Elite 8 in that same span (Mizzou twice). Thats 8 of what would the 9 remaining teams in the Big 12 if A&M leaves. So the Big 12 is definitely a threat to win a basketball national title every year.

You really feel like Texas in football and Kansas in basketball are the only national title threats? Oklahoma is always a thread to win a national title in football. And as far as basketball, Since 2000 Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State have all been the final four at least once and K-State, Baylor, Iowa State and Mizzou have all been the Elite 8 in that same span (Mizzou twice). Thats 8 of what would the 9 remaining teams in the Big 12 if A&M leaves. So the Big 12 is definitely a threat to win a basketball national title every year.

Come on STL. Surely you know that when you put a certain amount of research into an argument such as you did above, its a good idea if the facts actually support your argument. To take your "Big 12 without Kansas Final Four appearances" a little further, here are the results of all final fours since 1997 (the year the Big 12 was formed). For arguments sake I've assumed Kansas is an independent.

Conf: Wins: Losses: % of games played (will sum up to 200% since 2 teams play in each game)

ACC: 12 - 8 (44%)

Big 10: 6 - 11 (38%)

SEC: 8 - 4 (27%)

BE: 8 - 4 (27%)

Pac10: 4 - 5 (20%)

Kansas: 3 - 2 (11%)

CUSA: 1 - 3 (9%)

All other non BCS: 3 - 5 (18%)

Big 12 w/o KU: 0 - 3 (7%)

Dead freaking last. Now, obviously if you take the top team out of any of these conferenes the results would be different but for someone to say that the Big 12 "success" has largely been a result of KU's success is not exactly far fetched.

Aggie women won the NC in hoops and their baseball team made it to Omaha.

Also, a big player in this in the SEC is the president of the University of Florida, Dr. Bernie Machen, who is an alum of Saint Louis University, ergo making this discussion not OT.