Majerus as Recruiter and Talent Evaluator

Here is a recent "tweet" from HeardThisBlog (Ben W./Derrick N).

"Just putting it out there: Rick Majerus targeted Nunn, Ellenson, Ingram before they got big-time offers. The guy can judge talent".

The overall talent that Majerus has accumulated over the last 4 years, class by class, is pretty amazing - and getting kids that aren't typically mainstream recruits. I believe Majerus enjoys finding diamonds in the rough and coaching them to his system. I get the sense he is not interested in all the salesmanship and politics required to attract the big names kids. I truly believe he enjoys winning without getting top of the line talent.

I truly believe he enjoys winning without getting top of the line talent.

As do I. I believe that might be the only way (especially these days) to truly coach your system. The top flight talent is too good not to play them, and they'll play however they want. Aside from coach K, I think it's almost impossible to keep kids in line when they know they don't NEED to listen to you.

Here is a recent "tweet" from HeardThisBlog (Ben W./Derrick N).

"Just putting it out there: Rick Majerus targeted Nunn, Ellenson, Ingram before they got big-time offers. The guy can judge talent".

The overall talent that Majerus has accumulated over the last 4 years, class by class, is pretty amazing - and getting kids that aren't typically mainstream recruits. I believe Majerus enjoys finding diamonds in the rough and coaching them to his system. I get the sense he is not interested in all the salesmanship and politics required to attract the big names kids. I truly believe he enjoys winning without getting top of the line talent.

I think Rick likes to find players that are a bit like himself when he was getting ready to make the jump as a high school kid to Marquette. Maybe a bit off the radar, maybe from hard-luck family or personal situations but with an overwhelming desire to keep learning the game of basketball and to win the right way. We might have had a bit of an isolated incident with the "situation," but I think that he looks for clay he can mold. It's unfortunate that every BCS coach knows that when Majerus offers a kid that they all know he must have seen something. I think he's done a great job so far.

Coaches enjoy winning. If he could get the top flight talent he would take it in a heartbeat.

I do agree that he has an eye for talent and a proven track record. I also agree that there must be some satisfaction in finding players others overlook and coaching them up. I am still waiting for that pay off at SLU. So I will disagree on the "Amazing" tag right now.

Amazing was St. Joes with Jameer Nelson, Amazing was George Mason, Amazing is Butler, Amazing is Gonzaga's rise

I hope we are seeing the beginning of something special I really do but it is not yet "Amazing".

To me Really good would be Sweet 16 and Amazing would be Great 8.

The time is now and I've been waiting for about 11 years. I don't want to wait in vain...

I think Rick likes to find players that are a bit like himself when he was getting ready to make the jump as a high school kid to Marquette. Maybe a bit off the radar, maybe from hard-luck family or personal situations but with an overwhelming desire to keep learning the game of basketball and to win the right way. We might have had a bit of an isolated incident with the "situation," but I think that he looks for clay he can mold. It's unfortunate that every BCS coach knows that when Majerus offers a kid that they all know he must have seen something. I think he's done a great job so far.

I have to admit, this is not just the best post from you. Ever. It's also one of the most well-said posts I've seen on here in a LONG time. Kudos, Metz.

This is a very good post and I agree.

Agreed.

Also, agree with Metz's suggestion that other coaches probably take a harder look and/or offer when RM offers an under-the-radar kid.

Perhaps this is the reason our coaching staff is so quite about who we are recruiting. The longer they can keep a kid or our interest "a secret" the better.

I've noticed the last couple months that Cuonzo down at UT has offered or is on every kid we are. Get off RM's coat tails CM!

Recruiter and talent evaluator are two different things.

Rick is not all that tough to figure out.

All coaches want power and control...for different reasons...but within this...there are multiple different personality types.

Rick found his niche being the big fish in a small pond. Ball State, Utah, SLU. None of these are BCS leagues or stressors. None of these are following Al and Hank. It's not the size of your empire...it's whether or not its yours.

With bigger schools come bigger expectations and sometimes, less power and less control and the risk of a short term existence. With bigger schools, their comes more responsibility away from the court to sell, to promote, ...the key being on other people's terms and time. Rick's there to champion the lives of kids and be successful on and off the court. The rest is for others in which to deal.

Rick understands that not all people were born with the same advantages in life and therefore he doesn't live by a rigid set of rules for all to live by. He understands the variety, the nuance, the disadvantaged, the underdog, in a tough, objective, but not lovey dovey way. Rick fears vulnerability, but he's at his best when he's vulnerable. Rick does not trust easily but when he does it's big.

Rick's way of doing things is coming in to a project, blowing it up and rebuilding it layer by layer. That's how he works.

He'll never be the Tom Crean relentless superficial promoter. He'll never be as narcissistic as Rick Pitino. He'll never be as rigid and conservative as Brad Soderberg. He'll never be as in touch with his feeling side as Lorenzo Romar.

Rick takes care of "his" people. When he finds something that works he'll use it over and over again until he wears it out and/or it no longer works. He'll then change the system completely. He's not tied to one way of doing things.

Rick is good at seeing potential in someone or something, basketball or otherwise and giving that a chance to blossom. Where others see junk in a garage, Rick sees potential. As long as he doesn't coast on his intuition,(which could lead to not being discriminatory enough in those choices) and he's balanced, this is an asset. This intuition is also an asset during games when adjustments need to be made during a game. It's one thing to plan, it's another to also adjust and do both.

Rick understands far more than he can explain. With Rick and his type, you either believe or you don't. If you want short and concise go elsewhere. If you want roundabout longwindedness and/or the opposite being no answer or no show, then come on down. If you want all the polite manners day in and day out look somewhere else. That's public phony stuff and if Rick is one thing, it isn't phony. What you see is what you get. He'll talk to the Janitor the same way as the head of a corporation. He does not believe in hierarchy. He'll talk the same way with anyone of any gender, age, race etc... His interest in control and power is a fear of being taken advantage of by others. "Regular people" are less threatening.

The ultimate judge by the masses is winning consistently over a long period of time. If Majerus wins this year and the next few years and has a foundation of consistent winning NCAA teams moving forward, his time will have been considered a success. Sure he wants kids to succeed and life and understands the $ value of a degree and that'll appease some. Sure he isn't a spokesman for conservative traditional approaches, and, that'll bother others. But in the end, the big business is taking a SLU and turning it into the early stages of a Xavier, Gonzaga, type of hoops place as best as possible. SLU's goal when he leaves, if he's successful the next few years, is to keep it going longer term. We'll see.

I have to admit, this is not just the best post from you. Ever. It's also one of the most well-said posts I've seen on here in a LONG time. Kudos, Metz.

Thanks. I think we're all students of the game to some extent as die-hard fans, and I think that when we close the book on Majerus, we'll be in good shape as a program (I hope and pray). For a long time, I've been a "win at all costs" kind of guy. After seeing the mighty OSU and USC fall, I've changed my tune. There is a right way to win and build a well-respected program. I'd love to go to NCAA tournaments, but if we graduate good men that do well post-SLU, that reputation will do more for our University than anything.

Thanks. I think we're all students of the game to some extent as die-hard fans, and I think that when we close the book on Majerus, we'll be in good shape as a program (I hope and pray). For a long time, I've been a "win at all costs" kind of guy. After seeing the mighty OSU and USC fall, I've changed my tune. There is a right way to win and build a well-respected program. I'd love to go to NCAA tournaments, but if we graduate good men that do well post-SLU, that reputation will do more for our University than anything.

I like this Metz. Nice and informed.

Good post.

Great post, Courtside.

(Too bad some people will ignore it or gloss over it because of grudge against you.)

I was going to commend courtside on a very well thought out and written post, but now it is going to look like I was just guilted into it. ;)

And speaking of throwing out compliments, let me extend the olive branch to Metz and say that his previous posts in this thread were also very good!

Thx.

I find the study of personality types very valuable in understanding both others and self.(Needs, wants motivations, a base of who they are and why and where they are headed) Some personality types are not interested in learning/studying it, or don't believe in it. Some will have trouble with its depth and patience until they "get it." Some will get a lot out of it right away. It isn't limited to basketball coaches. It's anyone in your life. The origins are a combination of biological and environmental factors.

If anyone is truly interested in the topic, I could recommend a couple of great resources that those curious would find invaluable. Just send me a pm. Otherwise, continue with the believers, non-believers and the indifferent.

I was going to commend courtside on a very well thought out and written post, but now it is going to look like I was just guilted into it. ;)

And speaking of throwing out compliments, let me extend the olive branch to Metz and say that his previous posts in this thread were also very good!

Thank you, bizzle. I was getting tired of my own shtick. Heck, we're all fans of SLU basketball, let's put our effort in being fans and giving the opposition hell this year. We need Chaifetz Arena to be a nightmare for visiting teams. I'm rooting by proxy here in Dallas, but always in spirit. Go Bills.

Sons forever.