THIS IS IT

Taj79

@Tonka: I was with you too in that attitude for last year until the summer turned to fall and the "situation" came to it's ugly close. Now, it's time to put all things aside, and I don't think any more recruiting over anyone will seriously change where we currently stand. Those are the cards, play the hand. Next year, we will be doing the same, only minus Conklin and Cassity. So the tools in the box for this year will essentially be the same for next year. THIS IS IT.

@cheeseman: thanks for the well-wishes. I am learning and coping each and every day. In my usual pompous attitude, I think it is better than others in my family but that's me. I fear that both the Phillies and Eagles will fold on pop's passing -- the man has managed and coached them since I can remember and NEVER lost a game in his life. Others, yes; him, no.

I believe that every team has an adjustment period and this team will be no exception. While Billikan is right, I believe that with the summer trip to Canada and the "glue" that is returning seniors and juniors, the transition time should be minimal. Again, this is it.

Details have to be worked out, that is true. But I have said before that the college game is a guard's game and we have five of them (Mitchell/Cassity/Barnett/Jett/McCall). Plus, the point guard is the engine of any college team and we have three of those (Mitchell/Jett/McCall). The third factor is the key one to find and you can pick between three-point shooting, suffocating defense, or a standout big(s). We don't have a standout big so that is out but standout bigs in college are far and few between. But Majerus' teams play better defense than most. That is why I think the shooting, which is hard to predict in the first place, is our key. If Loe, Ellis, McCall, Mitchell and Barnett are hitting and hitting consistently, the defense will be forced to run and help all over the place, making open areas in the lane where the three points can drive and both Conklin and Evans can operate.

Given the absence of mentioning them above, anything from Glaze, Manning and Tajs-favorite whipping boy Cory Remekun, is gravy. THIS IS IT. Take no prisoners, offer no quarter.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tonka: I was with you too in that attitude for last year until the summer turned to fall and the "situation" came to it's ugly close. Now, it's time to put all things aside, and I don't think any more recruiting over anyone will seriously change where we currently stand. Those are the cards, play the hand. Next year, we will be doing the same, only minus Conklin and Cassity. So the tools in the box for this year will essentially be the same for next year. THIS IS IT.

@cheeseman: thanks for the well-wishes. I am learning and coping each and every day. In my usual pompous attitude, I think it is better than others in my family but that's me. I fear that both the Phillies and Eagles will fold on pop's passing -- the man has managed and coached them since I can remember and NEVER lost a game in his life. Others, yes; him, no.

I believe that every team has an adjustment period and this team will be no exception. While Billikan is right, I believe that with the summer trip to Canada and the "glue" that is returning seniors and juniors, the transition time should be minimal. Again, this is it.

Details have to be worked out, that is true. But I have said before that the college game is a guard's game and we have five of them (Mitchell/Cassity/Barnett/Jett/McCall). Plus, the point guard is the engine of any college team and we have three of those (Mitchell/Jett/McCall). The third factor is the key one to find and you can pick between three-point shooting, suffocating defense, or a standout big(s). We don't have a standout big so that is out but standout bigs in college are far and few between. But Majerus' teams play better defense than most. That is why I think the shooting, which is hard to predict in the first place, is our key. If Loe, Ellis, McCall, Mitchell and Barnett are hitting and hitting consistently, the defense will be forced to run and help all over the place, making open areas in the lane where the three points can drive and both Conklin and Evans can operate.

Given the absence of mentioning them above, anything from Glaze, Manning and Tajs-favorite whipping boy Cory Remekun, is gravy. THIS IS IT. Take no prisoners, offer no quarter.

Can't we take a prisoner and waterboard?

No. No prisoners. None. Despite having the Sta-Puff Marshmallow Man disguised in black on the bench, there will be no Mister Softies here. Nothing short of an NCAA bid is acceptable. The bar is set. Exceed expectations. Once.

I'm 100% with you. This is the year. We'll have 2 of the 5 of Mitchell, McCall, Barnett, Cassity, and Jett coming off the bench and that doesn't count the possibility DE starts at the 3. Inside won't be great, but you could see RL working and improving that part of his game as the summer went on. It'll be better I guarantee it. Conk is who he is and is serviceable, if we get something from Cody and Cory last years biggest disapointments along with Manning we'll be good inside against most teams.

Sorry Randy. Sorry Tonka. Sorry board. No excuses is NO excuses. None. Nada. Zip.

I don't mean to be heartless and cruel .... my father is in hospice as we speak and no two people in this world are closer than me and pop.

But let me be clear ---- no is no.

Sorry to hear about your father, Taj. But I find the rest of your post to be ridiculous.

@moytoy ---- thanks. Now, on the part ofmy post that is ridiculous, you're going to have to explain which one you're talking about. the quoted one? The original? I don't understand so .... just to be clear ... help me out here.

@moytoy ---- thanks. Now, on the part ofmy post that is ridiculous, you're going to have to explain which one you're talking about. the quoted one? The original? I don't understand so .... just to be clear ... help me out here.

I can't speak for Moy, but the part about there being absolutely, positively, no excuses is a little ridiculous. Certainly, as the team stands right now, there can't be any excuses for mediocrity. But if something extraordinary were to happen like it did last year and we lost multiple key players this season, I think you can excuse the team for not performing up to the level we expected.

With that much rigidity, you might have to change your screen name to Taj Cantor.

I can't speak for Moy, but the part about there being absolutely, positively, no excuses is a little ridiculous. Certainly, as the team stands right now, there can't be any excuses for mediocrity. But if something extraordinary were to happen like it did last year and we lost multiple key players this season, I think you can excuse the team for not performing up to the level we expected.

Shoe hit the nail on the head. I don't consider basketball the equal (or anywhere close to it) of loved ones. If RM loses his mom, then all bets are off. I'll be disappointed, but won't be mad/upset/pitch fork in hand/ready to fire RM. I'm selfish, but not that selfish.

With that much rigidity, you might have to change your screen name to Taj Cantor.

This made me laugh.

@SShoe and @moytoy --- okay, thanks for the clarification. Always appreciate it.

Obviously, a catastrophic event would certainly make anyone hedge their bets. Another "situation." God forbid a car accident involving multiple players. I would consider just Mitchell being lost a catastrophic event. Yes, all those types of things would even soften the hardest Taj Cantor in all of us.

Death in family? Hmmmmmmm. Didn't Rick Pitino lose someone close in 9/11? Didn't Lute Olson become inflicted with a disease that sat him down for the whole year at Arizona? Wasn't there a Kansas basketball player that lost someone very close last year? Didn't Larry Hughes eventually lose his brother? Tiger Woods? Michael Jordan? Was that in season? Aren't we all dying, some just faster than others?

So what you are saying is that when (not if) Coach Majerus' mother passes on, and he does happen to be employed somewhere by someone, that whole season or job should be washed down the tubes because of it? Or if the season fell apart, it's completely understandable? No regard given to the training the players have put in? No regard to able and prepared assistants on the bench? No emotional oomph given to the team who might use the old "Win One for the Gipper" mantra locked in Hollywood legends?

Sorry, don't buy it.

And, for clarification, I still have my "In Rick I Trust" banner waving proudly. I am not roy and calling for Coach's head. I have never said "Fire Coach Majerus." I am on record as saying THIS IS IT and stand by that.

@SShoe and @moytoy --- okay, thanks for the clarification. Always appreciate it.

Obviously, a catastrophic event would certainly make anyone hedge their bets. Another "situation." God forbid a car accident involving multiple players. I would consider just Mitchell being lost a catastrophic event. Yes, all those types of things would even soften the hardest Taj Cantor in all of us.

Death in family? Hmmmmmmm. Didn't Rick Pitino lose someone close in 9/11? Didn't Lute Olson become inflicted with a disease that sat him down for the whole year at Arizona? Wasn't there a Kansas basketball player that lost someone very close last year? Didn't Larry Hughes eventually lose his brother? Tiger Woods? Michael Jordan? Was that in season? Aren't we all dying, some just faster than others?

So what you are saying is that when (not if) Coach Majerus' mother passes on, and he does happen to be employed somewhere by someone, that whole season or job should be washed down the tubes because of it? Or if the season fell apart, it's completely understandable? No regard given to the training the players have put in? No regard to able and prepared assistants on the bench? No emotional oomph given to the team who might use the old "Win One for the Gipper" mantra locked in Hollywood legends?

Sorry, don't buy it.

And, for clarification, I still have my "In Rick I Trust" banner waving proudly. I am not roy and calling for Coach's head. I have never said "Fire Coach Majerus." I am on record as saying THIS IS IT and stand by that.

Agreed and good post. Now you sound more like Taj Boehner.

Sorry, don't buy it.

Fair enough. I don't think the whole season would be washed down the tubes, but even then, I wouldn't be mad. To me, some things are more important my job and my performance of that job. I think we might just disagree on this point.

Sorry, don't buy it.

Yikes. While I'm flattered you're comparing St. Louis University Billikens with the likes of Rick Pitino, Lute Olson, Kansas and their respective programs, let's be real - this is SLU. What can go wrong, will go wrong. Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods? I think Tiger's emotional strain has more than taken a toll. Taj, nobody is giving RM an excuse for his Mom and many agree on the no excuse thing. I contributed about his Mom meaning it will be interesting how that plays out.

I don't know where "the whole season" wiped out thing ever came from. If RM has to leave for a short week it could result in a loss or two. That may be it. But, look at what we're all saying about his season. This SHOULD be the year. This BETTER be the year. Most would agree that this team will not be able to afford an extra loss or two as that could mean the difference between the Big Dance and the NIT.

Yes, everybody will die one day. I sure hope you don't hold it against Rick if he were to miss a game to tend to his Mom and I certainly hope you don't hold it against the team if they should lose a game with RM not on the bench.

All of this is speculation anyway. It was brought up as something to think about by another poster. Nothing may come of it. If something does come of it, I'm not for a minute going to judge how somebody should or shouldn't deal with it. Everybody's situation is different and everybody is different and I'm not for a minute going to predict the emotional strain it may have or should or shouldn't have on somebody should they have to deal with this type of adversity.

No excuses this year. None, zip, nada. We either win and make the tournament or it is time to reexamine the whole program.

College basketball is a results business. Either we get results this year or it is a failure.

Why do others say that about THIS year? This experiment hasn't been successful yet. IMO, the slack of the rope given has been long up until this year.

Why do others say that about THIS year? This experiment hasn't been successful yet. IMO, the slack of the rope given has been long up until this year.

Because perspective is necessary when evaluating results.

When RM arrived, the cupboard was bare, so we kind of gave him a few years to get things moving in the right direction. After the late season run in his third year, most everyone felt that things were on track for a breakthrough season in year-four, but got derailed after THE SITUATION. Now that the effects of that have partially worn off (KM is back) and we're no longer a team of underclassmen, you can start to expect much better results.

No excuses this year. None, zip, nada. We either win and make the tournament or it is time to reexamine the whole program.

College basketball is a results business. Either we get results this year or it is a failure.

I totally agree. It's put up or blow up time.

Sorry, don't buy it.

By comparison, many believe that Tony LaRussa's best year coaching the Cardinals was the year that we lost Darryl Kile.

Sure, the future is unknown and unforseen events (good and bad) can happen. With that said, I agree with Taj. This is the year.

By comparison, many believe that Tony LaRussa's best year coaching the Cardinals was the year that we lost Darryl Kile.

I get what you're saying...but it's unlikely LaRussa could have pulled it off under D1 rules...Chuck Finley would have had to sit out a year before pitching, and it's unlikely Andy Benes would have remained academically eligible after leaving the team.

Paul Westhead/LMU/Gathers would be the better example.

Because perspective is necessary when evaluating results.

When RM arrived, the cupboard was bare, so we kind of gave him a few years to get things moving in the right direction. After the late season run in his third year, most everyone felt that things were on track for a breakthrough season in year-four, but got derailed after THE SITUATION. Now that the effects of that have partially worn off (KM is back) and we're no longer a team of underclassmen, you can start to expect much better results.

SShoe, always a civil reply from both you and your brother. You guys are two of the classiest posters on this sometimes uncivil Board.

I agree with the perspective thing, but even before last year's Situation it didn't seem like many were calling for a win or else attitude.

SShoe, always a civil reply from both you and your brother. You guys are two of the classiest posters on this sometimes uncivil Board.

I agree with the perspective thing, but even before last year's Situation it didn't seem like many were calling for a win or else attitude.

You can add Backhand to that list.

People don't agree with all I say ... I respect that. Having broken bread with SShoe, kshoe, Willie, skip, roy, box and some others, and having worked side-by-side with the intolerable bonowich and Scrivner, I don't expect condescending agreement. Never have. I have no real qualms with what Tonka is saying, I don't readily accept all roy says about being "the little engine that could" program, I don't share skip's love for soccer, and I don't profess to the kan-do attitude and rose-colored glasses I've accused Billikan of having.

But for all of Biondi's faults and "misguided" priorities, the man has invested lots of money (mostly Richard Chaifetz's) into a first class (mostly) program that will recruit the far ends of the earth, build palatial facilities, and spend top dollar on a big name coach.

Having said all that, I recognize that hard moments fall in all our lives, big name coaches included, and while we are NOT a big name program like those aforementioned, I am not in the camp that is willing to cut any slack for anything non-catastrophic.

I agree with Tonka when he says the slack of the rope has been great up until this year. When do you pull that rope taut? In my opinion, it was the year we pushed Rick's earnings up over the $4 million mark (4 years @$1 million per and the truth to me is the name of the coach is immaterial). Now, the "situation" pushed me to year 5, and the excuses were not so much excuses as they were realities. I'm okay with that. Short of sshoe's catasrophic event, there are none left outside of some unforeseen train wreck (pun intended) that I see as a season's derailment.

Late start on recruiting? Check. Not my players? Check. No upperclassmen? Check. Youngest team in D1 ball? Check. No height? Check. Not a full bench? Check. No shooters? Check. I might concede on no big men and no interior game but I am counting on the bevy of shooters to mean two per night ought to remedy that (remember I didn't say Barnett was THEE answer but others have) in terms of opening up driving lanes and giving our servicable inside guys room to maneuver. Coupled with good to great defensive efforts.

The loss of someone like Mom Majerus is noted, but as a derailment to the season? That's an excuse and i believe it's Brian's tag line of "no excuses."

THIS IS IT.

P.S. I also said this is it added to a similar season NEXT year. i know I've used the word "sustainablity."

P.S.S. I've really enjoyed this thread. My so-called "final burn" on this subject and I am out of here.

It is my belief that all college basketball coaches should get four full recruiting classes before being judged.

I hope for the best for Mrs. Majerus. Coach has been through a lot in his tenure at SLU - his girlfriend was in a car accident, he's had food poisoning, Eckerle almost amputated his leg last year, he got bitched at for supporting Hillary Clinton, and of course there was "The Incident." Unfortunately for him, three of those things took place all in the same season.