Rough start for new Mizzou coach

Well things haven't turned out well for the new Mizzou coach's first recruit. It looks like the Tigers coach is running into some of the same problems that plagued the previous coaches.

http://hutchnews.com/Latestlocalnews/HCC-basketball-player-arrested-in-connection-with-burglary

I love it. We don't even have to try to ridicule these goons.

confusing article; they caught a different guy red handed; now, a month later, they're adding the MU recruit as an accomplice...did they chase the one guy without looking in the room for anyone else?

I can assure everyone that if this happened to a SLU recruit, Fr. Biondi would probably take swift action -- such as let him enroll, live on campus, start classes but then give him the boot halfway through the semester, most probably on the day before basketball practice begins!! :)

I can assure everyone that if this happened to a SLU recruit, Fr. Biondi would probably take swift action -- such as let him enroll, live on campus, start classes but then give him the boot halfway through the semester, most probably on the day before basketball practice begins!! :)

+100

Well things haven't turned out well for the new Mizzou coach's first recruit. It looks like the Tigers coach is running into some of the same problems that plagued the previous coaches.

http://hutchnews.com/Latestlocalnews/HCC-basketball-player-arrested-in-connection-with-burglary

Not the "first" recruit. Tyrek Coger (2013) Ishmail Wainwright (2013) were the first committed recruits this Spring for Mizzou.

Not the "first" recruit. Tyrek Coger (2013) Ishmail Wainwright (2013) were the first committed recruits this Spring for Mizzou.

The "first" that would have suited up. Pretty sure this is not the start the new coach wanted.

The "first" that would have suited up. Pretty sure this is not the start the new coach wanted.

You weren't incorrect GoBills. courtside just needs to constantly prove that he is more knowledgeable than the rest of us.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldnt call it a rough start. He's gotten six commitments in two months. He's got the 2013 kids, and he's got 3 transfers already, including Louisville's George Goode, who is immediately eligible for next season, and then sophomore Earnest Ross who was the leading scorer and rebounder at Auburn last year, and junior Keion Bell who was the leading scorer at Pepperdine last season, both available for the 2012-2013 where they will be replacing 7 graduating seniors. Pretty good class.

I wouldnt call it a rough start. He's gotten six commitments in two months. He's got the 2013 kids, and he's got 3 transfers already, including Louisville's George Goode, who is immediately eligible for next season, and then sophomore Earnest Ross who was the leading scorer and rebounder at Auburn last year, and junior Keion Bell who was the leading scorer at Pepperdine last season, both available for the 2012-2013 where they will be replacing 7 graduating seniors. Pretty good class.

Well I guess having a recruit steal from his coach is not that big of a deal at Mizzou.

Did you search the threads from 3 weeks ago to see if there is one on Mizzou so that you could respond to it, rather than just start your own thread on how recruiting is going for them?

By the way, 2 of the players he has recruited will only have one year of eligibility and from the Tigerboard is sounds like Keion Bell had a few disciplinary issues at Pepperdine which is the reason he's leaving. It works well to bring in transfers given the loaded roster he's been handed but its not like he's landed any difference makers yet.

For a realistic take on what lies ahead for MU basketball you should read this.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/weblogs/courtside-view/2011/jun/16/lot-of-pressure-on-2012-recruiting-class/

Haith has done well on and off the floor thus far. But, like any new coach, he'll get his so many years to see what he can do.

Filling out rosters with solid transfers is important for new coaches..to have experienced solid D-1 players ready to play and not just incoming frosh. Both Haith and his staff have been all over the place locally, regionally, Nationally this Spring...

Coger and Wainright are very high level commits. Ross and Bell are solid players. That's pretty strong considering how recent he became the coach.

Did you search the threads from 3 weeks ago to see if there is one on Mizzou so that you could respond to it, rather than just start your own thread on how recruiting is going for them?

By the way, 2 of the players he has recruited will only have one year of eligibility and from the Tigerboard is sounds like Keion Bell had a few disciplinary issues at Pepperdine which is the reason he's leaving. It works well to bring in transfers given the loaded roster he's been handed but its not like he's landed any difference makers yet.

For a realistic take on what lies ahead for MU basketball you should read this.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/weblogs/courtside-view/2011/jun/16/lot-of-pressure-on-2012-recruiting-class/

George Goode should definitely be a difference maker. He's eligible immediately. Very talented player, had some injuries and bad luck at Louisville

George Goode should definitely be a difference maker. He's eligible immediately. Very talented player, had some injuries and bad luck at Louisville

I guess my definition of a difference maker is not a guy that averaged 2.9 ppg last year.

I guess my definition of a difference maker is not a guy that averaged 2.9 ppg last year.

This would be an example of the past many Stl Hoops Insider posts of exaggeration when evaluating talent. What Goode provides is size, familiarity with one of Mizzou's assistants, etc..

But as has been said, Mizzou needed bodies to fill 6 spots. It's getting those bodies, including some that will have a good impact, experienced players,...who with a year of practicing with the team, would be able to have a good impact.(Ross, Bell)

This is important to fill these needs with some non-Frosh who take more time. And, this allows Mizzou to fill the gaps before the 2013, 2014 kids are ready to contribute.

Mizzou is all over the 2013, 2014 classes in recruiting, at high levels. The transfers are a nice job of filling in some gaps for practice and also in some cases for immediate contribution when eligible, until the younger recruits are ready.

Thus far, in terms of recruiting, Haith and staff are off to a strong start. The expectation is that Mizzou is going to continue to recruit elite level kids in 2013, 2014 and beyond classes. It's in the final 3 for Purvis, one of the best handful of kids Nationally in his class...

Mike Anderson did not recruit at this level.

This would be an example of the past many Stl Hoops Insider posts of exaggeration when evaluating talent. What Goode provides is size, familiarity with one of Mizzou's assistants, etc..

But as has been said, Mizzou needed bodies to fill 6 spots. It's getting those bodies, including some that will have a good impact, experienced players,...who with a year of practicing with the team, would be able to have a good impact.(Ross, Bell)

This is important to fill these needs with some non-Frosh who take more time. And, this allows Mizzou to fill the gaps before the 2013, 2014 kids are ready to contribute.

Mizzou is all over the 2013, 2014 classes in recruiting, at high levels. The transfers are a nice job of filling in some gaps for practice and also in some cases for immediate contribution when eligible, until the younger recruits are ready.

Thus far, in terms of recruiting, Haith and staff are off to a strong start. The expectation is that Mizzou is going to continue to recruit elite level kids in 2013, 2014 and beyond classes. It's in the final 3 for Purvis, one of the best handful of kids Nationally in his class...

Mike Anderson did not recruit at this level.

Brian Oliver(Soph SG, 10+ppg) is transferring from Ga Tech and is being recruited by Mizzou. Malcolm Hill will make another trip to Mizzou next Wednesday and Darius Hill just made his 2nd visit to MU this week. This staff is sure drawing a lot of interest.

I've heard that despite Beidscheid committing rather early to Notre Dame, he may re open his recruiting to allow Haith and Fuller a chance to woo him.

To Kshoe and Courtside. Goode has loads of talent. He dealt with several injuries at Louisville and when he wasnt injured, he was stuck behind 1st round picks like Earl Clark and Terrence Williams. If healthy, he is an immediate impact guy. He's very athletic and a good shooter and experienced. Mizzou only has 3 returning frontcourt players Ratliffe and Bowers are starters, and Steve Moore is the backup center. Goode will way more minutes than he got at Louisville and will be backing up Bowers and Kim English. I cant see him playing behind redshirt freshman Kadeem Green. Goode is going to make an immediate impact.

I have been following college hoops for more than four decades and the one thing you can always count on is that Mizzou fans will always over-rate their talent. Seems some things never change.

True statement, that's what fans always do. BTW, that's also prevalent on this board. Pot-kettle?

I have seen Goode play on a few occasions (he never plays more than occasionally). He will not be a difference maker. The word used when his name comes up is potential. But that potential has never been realized. And it won't be because he is a brittle player who will always be injured. If he gets the opportunity for lots of minutes he will wind up on the bench disabled in some way. He will play just enough to tease MU fans. He reminds me of Ankiel. Was Ankiel a great athlete?...yes. Did Ankiel have great potential?... yes. Could he have been a difference maker?..yes. Ankiel=Goode

Goode will not be a difference maker unless you consider having a good(no pun intended) couple of games a difference maker.

To Kshoe and Courtside. Goode has loads of talent. He dealt with several injuries at Louisville and when he wasnt injured, he was stuck behind 1st round picks like Earl Clark and Terrence Williams. If healthy, he is an immediate impact guy. He's very athletic and a good shooter and experienced. Mizzou only has 3 returning frontcourt players Ratliffe and Bowers are starters, and Steve Moore is the backup center. Goode will way more minutes than he got at Louisville and will be backing up Bowers and Kim English. I cant see him playing behind redshirt freshman Kadeem Green. Goode is going to make an immediate impact.

and Padgett, Samardo Samuels, etc....

Goode is a good pickup for Mizzou to provide front court depth for next year's team. You would have to specifically define "impact."

Again, Mizzou is doing a very good job getting transfers to fill in minutes and depth for the next couple of seasons, and not just relying upon incoming Frosh. This will help smooth the transistion for the next couple of seasons, before Mizzou's stud classes of 2013 and beyond are seasoned.

I'm not one who takes past year's numbers to define or predict the next or future year numbers. I think Goode is going to be a solid one year add of depth in the front court.