Too's Take - Coach Majerus

Of course we will all not agree too disagree on this board on things according too Coach Majerus - facts.

1. Coach Majerus signed a 6 year contract in May of 2007. 07-08, 08-09, 09-10, 10-11, 11-12, and 12-13.

2. The signing of Coach Majerus at a very large salary was announced by Father Biondi with the expectations of raising the program too a "Top 50" status.

3. Coach Majerus will be 64 years old this next season and has had long term health concerns.

4. The first year is out the window in learning a new team, this last year was out the window because of idiots.

5. Coach Majerus is his own man - Father Biondi is his own man.

Now here are Too's Takes:

1. The gap between Father Biondi and Coach Majerus has widened. Father Biondi is extremely upset about the "incident" and the character of players and what happened. (Graduation rates of SLU student/athletes).

2. Communication between Coach Majerus and AD Chris May are basically on a procedural level and not on a basketball program developement level.

3. Coach Majerus's age, contract and health concerns are working against recruiting efforts, for future years.

a. Also his "one way" style of play.

4. Expenses and taking second hand knowledge of "down under" players have proven fruitless.

FINAL Triangle speculations:

1. If Coach Majerus's contract is not extended this year, it will extremely effect recruiting, it may have already.

2. If our Billikens do not reach the NCAAs this upcoming year, he will be let go and payed off - Mr. Chaifetz may be a real concern in this decision.

so it goes.

Of course we will all not agree too disagree on this board on things according too Coach Majerus - facts.

1. Coach Majerus signed a 6 year contract in May of 2007. 07-08, 08-09, 09-10, 10-11, 11-12, and 12-13.

2. The signing of Coach Majerus at a very large salary was announced by Father Biondi with the expectations of raising the program too a "Top 50" status.

3. Coach Majerus will be 64 years old this next season and has had long term health concerns.

4. The first year is out the window in learning a new team, this last year was out the window because of idiots.

1. The gap between Father Biondi and Coach Majerus has widened. Father Biondi is extremely upset about the "incident" and the character of players and what happened. (Graduation rates of SLU student/athletes).

2. Communication between Coach Majerus and AD Chris May are basically on a procedural level and not on a basketball program developement level.

3. Coach Majerus's age, contract and health concerns are working against recruiting efforts, for future years.

4. Expenses and taking second hand knowledge of "down under" players have proven fruitless.

1. If Coach Majerus's contract is not extended this year, it will extremely effect recruiting, it may have already.

2. If our Billikens do not reach the NCAAs this upcoming year, he will be let go and payed off - Mr. Chaifetz may be a real concern in this decision.

so it goes.

so it goes.

Why would Chaifetz be a concern in this decision? He isn't paying Majerus's salary. Another Alumn is

so it goes.

Too speaks the obvious. It's been obvious to me for about 6 months

so it goes.

As to #1, this is why we should have found a way to keep PM. He was the primary recruiter, the guy the recruits must have liked, and probably a buffer between them and RM when RM goes on a rant. Hopefully, AJ steps in to that role at this point. All though I don't see him as HC material at this stage.

As to #1, this is why we should have found a way to keep PM. He was the primary recruiter, the guy the recruits must have liked, and probably a buffer between them and RM when RM goes on a rant. Hopefully, AJ steps in to that role at this point. All though I don't see him as HC material at this stage.

Where would have found the $?

Porter was given a D1 HC job in his home town. Probably increased his salary by 5x. If Rick leaves we can always offer him the HC position. I bet Loyola's pays only (ONLY) around 1/2 mil. We can at least top that. That is if we want him after Rick leaves.

You have to hand it to Alex. Porter leaves and he threatens to run back home for probably no more then a lateral. Rick forced to give that promotion to Alex. Done in business all the time :lol: Also, Alex being an Associate gives him a nice resume enhancer for a lower level D1 HC position.

This program won't be paying him to leave. The only way RM isn't here for both of the next two seasons is if he chooses not to be.

That being said, I don't think he will even want to stay longer than that. As of right now I think RM intends to re-retire after Kwamain graduates.

This thread is just typcial trolling Too... in other words, it's garbage. Don't take it seriously. He's not fan of SLU. He's a fan of Mizzou and for some reason Arizona. He's just trying to stir it up again.

You don't think there is a ton riding on this coming season?

I think a lot is riding on this season but I doubt that May and RM are not talking to each other. They may not be buddy buddy but nobody has said anything about a rift that I have heard. I have no doubt that RM will be here to fulfill his contract - he said so when he was hired. Does he want to stay beyond who knows.

so it goes.

Why would Chaifetz be a concern in this decision? He isn't paying Majerus's salary. Another Alumn is

We are going about this all wrong. Lets stop having alumni pay our coach and start giving it to prospective high school seniors to come to SLU.

I think a lot is riding on this season but I doubt that May and RM are not talking to each other. They may not be buddy buddy but nobody has said anything about a rift that I have heard. I have no doubt that RM will be here to fulfill his contract - he said so when he was hired. Does he want to stay beyond who knows.

They don't get along. Porter didn't see eye to eye with May either. I wonder if that factored into his decision? It would impact him being the next SLU head coach.

Joey fluegel (Too) has no inside information and is no friend of the program. Anyone who has ever read his anti-SLU rants on Bernie's Pressbox is well aware of what Too's agenda is.

so it goes.

SLU will never pay off a 1 million dollar contract. I thought his contract was through 11-12 though.

Agree. This season is huge after the fiasco of last season. Losing Porter hurts. Is SLU going to fire RM? That's garbage. SLU needs to wise up and paper over the RM contract issue by giving him an extension, one either party can back out of with a nominal payment. Announce the extension but keep the terms private. It's a no brainer (like the two line press release for "the situation"). Father B must see that our basketball program rests in Rick's hands. There is nothing he can do to change that. We've invested too much to turn back now. SLU must ride with RM wherever he leads us.

Agree. This season is huge after the fiasco of last season. Losing Porter hurts. Is SLU going to fire RM? That's garbage. SLU needs to wise up and paper over the RM contract issue by giving him an extension, one either party can back out of with a nominal payment. Announce the extension but keep the terms private. It's a no brainer (like the two line press release for "the situation"). Father B must see that our basketball program rests in Rick's hands. There is nothing he can do to change that. We've invested too much to turn back now. SLU must ride with RM wherever he leads us.

I agree with the contract issue. No way do we want a repeat of Grawers last year. By not extending his contract every presumed he wasn't going to be back and it destoyed his ability to recruit. He had just brought in one of the best recruiting classes in SLU's history and had no chance to follow up with another decent one.

Enough already. The sky is not falling. We have NOT lost both of our assistant coaches as many worried about last week. Show me proof that our recruits are all the work of Moser and not RM. An absolute joke to give so much credit to assistant coaches. Even a good salesman will have trouble selling a bad product and a bad salesman will do quite well with a good product to sell. I personaly have zero qualifications and creditials with respect to college coaching and recruiting but I'd bet I could do a good job recruiting for Coach K and Duke, and a decent job for RM and SLU. Then again, if even people say how important assistant coaches are as compared to head coach and how PM is more responsible than RM, then many on this Board will actually believe it. I say bs.

If RM is about to leave the program, then Alex J would not be staying. If RM stays through KM's playing days, then that would be 2 more years and not 1. If RM stays for only 1 more year, then this would not be a Grawer situation as we would only be losing 2 Seniors after next year -- KC and BC -- who will not be starters/major contributors at the end of their Senior years. The rest of our team could leave but that could happen with any program at any time. Most our kids would be set to return for their JR and SR years which makes transfers, in mass, less probable.

Has anyone thought that RM may be telling insiders like Alex J that he will, in fact, be around for a longer, rather than shorter, time. RM tells PM, or PM sees the writing on the wall, and leaves to do what's best for PM. Further, as Taj points out, what would keep PM from being our head coach, if mutually desirable, just because he will be head coach at Loyola this Fall?

Fr. Biondi firing RM and buying out the remainder of his contract?? Now that's funny!! Pay money to not coach SLU? When has Fr. B ever done this before? And we can find someone better than RM??? Yeah right!? Also, since when did Fr. B. ever begin to care about the basketball team? More likely, Fr. B. will go into the end of RM's final contractual season w/o offering an extension. If that helps or hurts the basketball program, Fr. B has shown that he does not care.

Interesting last paragraph Clock. You just can't let a coach go intoo his last year of a contract - especially with Coach Majerus's age and health concerns - rival recruiters will just KILL YOU. There is no doubt in Triangle's mind that Coach Majerus wants too coach (until????)(see what happened with Coach Stewart and Coach Olson in later years). Our program will be in a very difficult decision time on this matter this upcoming year. Our program seems too be in a wierd influx at this time as far as coaching and more important recruiting. (Most important things - recruiting, scheduling, recruiting, in game coaching, recruiting). Some people haven't addressed the graduation rate problem under Coach Majerus but it IS with Father Biondi with the player transfer rate of his recruited players. A possible solution too this mess could be a 2-3 year extension of Coach Majerus's contract with a stipulation that a "head coach in waiting" be hired. Historical past hirings of our coaches is at this time irrelevant - this next hiring, when it comes in the near future, and it will, WILL BE HISTORIC. Win basketball games, recruit players who graduate (not transfer) that is why you go too the bank Coach. In closing Clock - Father Biondi deeply cares about this program - you been too that beautiful new arena? why would it be there?

so it goes.

so it goes.

Interesting last paragraph Clock. You just can't let a coach go intoo his last year of a contract - especially with Coach Majerus's age and health concerns - rival recruiters will just KILL YOU. There is no doubt in Triangle's mind that Coach Majerus wants too coach (until????)(see what happened with Coach Stewart and Coach Olson in later years). Our program will be in a very difficult decision time on this matter this upcoming year. Our program seems too be in a wierd influx at this time as far as coaching and more important recruiting. (Most important things - recruiting, scheduling, recruiting, in game coaching, recruiting). Some people haven't addressed the graduation rate problem under Coach Majerus but it IS with Father Biondi with the player transfer rate of his recruited players. A possible solution too this mess could be a 2-3 year extension of Coach Majerus's contract with a stipulation that a "head coach in waiting" be hired. Historical past hirings of our coaches is at this time irrelevant - this next hiring, when it comes in the near future, and it will, WILL BE HISTORIC. Win basketball games, recruit players who graduate (not transfer) that is why you go too the bank Coach. In closing Clock - Father Biondi deeply cares about this program - you been too that beautiful new arena? why would it be there?

so it goes.

so it goes.

Too. Don't confuse a new building with passion for the sports program. It is well documented that Fr. Biondi is an excellent fundraiser and bricks & mortar President (see Endowment, Doisey Research Bldg, etc.). Frankly, SLU needed new and better facilities and real college campus. We now have this thanks to Fr. Biondi. Don't get wrong. The new Chaifetz is great!! Now, I could get negative and say that it was built 20 years too late after Fr. Biondi made his promises upon the hiring of Spoon and the new building talk back in the early 1990s. I also could say that it was downsized, that it languished and that it almost had no offices and practice space. Instead, I will say that SLU finally has caught up the the rest of D1 sports as to its facilities. With regard to funding, coaching salaries, budgets, scholarships and travel expenditures, you will that SLU is still toward the bottom. RM made demands, and intitially got them, for his basketball team but the rest of the sports program never did. SLU and West Pine gym was a complete and total embarrassment -- not just for men's basketball but for womens basketball, volleyball, for medical training facilities for all athletes, for weight training for all athletes. Heck, half the basketball team could not lift the weights over their heads due to the low ceiling!! No offices for many coaches, no separate bathroom facilities for the women athletes - and the obvious - one basketball floor for all!! Thanks to Dr. Chaifetz, the building and RM are a reality. Other than Chaifetz, what else has Fr. Biondi done to show passion and/or support for the sports program? I'll answer it -- nothing other than what was previously done!!

Are you suggesting that because Fr. Biondi built the new facilities, that he is above criticism for anything sports related? I truly believe that Fr. Biondi does feel this way. Sorry, but I don't.

Do you really believe Fr. Biondi has passion for the Billiken sports program?

Are you suggesting that because Fr. Biondi built the new facilities, that he is above criticism for anything sports related? I truly believe that Fr. Biondi does feel this way. Sorry, but I don't.

Do you really believe Fr. Biondi has passion for the Billiken sports program?

The good Fr. B sends mixed messages re; sports. He has set the table for success then figures he's done his job to give us a top 50 program. He doesn't realize, because he chooses to be the man really in charge of the AD, that it doesn't end there. People are expecting dinner to be served and enjoyed as well. He's not paying enough attention to the details or the program's full needs to help create the success he wants.