Quinton Chievous

ACE

It seems like we've been at the top of his list for so long, but now after one visit he loves Tennessee I guess. Hopefully he the dust settles over the next couple days and he realizes that SLU is the better fit.

Obviously we could really use a big man, but Chievous seems to have loads of potential. I'm hoping with his size and athleticism, Majerus can turn him into a top defender. He kind of reminds me of Jon Smith, but he seems to already have a better offensive game than Smith. But let's also hope that he isn't like Jon Smith at all.

I hope we sign him and then we'll have 3 scholarships for next year to get another guard and possibly 2 bigs.

That seems pretty normal for recruits nowadays. We can be at the top of their list for a long time, but if a bigger program comes along at the last minute, they jump ship. They all think they're big time players and will be studs wherever they go. If they can get in a bigger spotlight, thats what they want. Seems like Kwamaine was the only one not to do that and that was because his mother came down on him about honoring his word.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll if the SLU coaching staff knew he was holding out for a BCS offer but weighed the situation and decided it made sense on balance to invest the time in recruiting Chievous then I'm cool with it. It's always a calculated risk recruiting 18 year olds.

If we stopped recruiting every kid that was getting looked at by BCS programs we would have a sucky team.

We'll if the SLU coaching staff knew he was holding out for a BCS offer but weighed the situation and decided it made sense on balance to invest the time in recruiting Chievous then I'm cool with it. It's always a calculated risk recruiting 18 year olds.

This is the nature of Spring recruits. There is usually a reason why these guys did not sign in the Fall. Most cannot all be "late bloomers". Instead, some have grade issues, test score issues and many more simply did not receive the offers they always dreamed about in the Fall. As such, they listened to their families and coach, decided to work hard and have a good Senior year in high school and then see what opportunities are available in the Spring. If the goal was simply to play D1 basketball, alot of these guys could have signed with non-BCS schools in the Fall. Instead, alot of them have higher aspirations. Now, in the Spring, alot of BCS schools are looking to fill their rosters -- whether b/c they did not use up all of their scholarship, b/c of injury, or b/c of coaching changes and de-commitments, or simply to improve after their headcoach created roster space by having The Talk with their players about the future, playing time, etc.

In the face of possibly not receiving this dream offer again in the Spring, and to create buzz and demand, these players express interest in multiple schools. Every kid still needs a "safe" school. Whether SLU is the safe school for a kid who then goes to the Tenn (Chievous), or to Kentucky (Harrelson)... doesn't really matter. Every Spring we go through this talk. Harrelson turned out to have a nice Senior year and make the Final Four. Most, though, don't. Instead, they end up being role player or minor contributor on a bad BCS team or sitting on a good BCS team. Most, of course, could have been a major contributor at SLU or school like us. In the past, we had multiple openings and a chance to play both immediately and alot. Now, though, again I ask: Would Cheivous, Winters or the others really get much time over JB, KC and DE? If not, why worry? Conduct a bake sale to raise money for Austrailia and get ready for next Fall. Wonder if there is a chance to still keep CS?

Pretty much summed up 02-07 right there.

actually metz it was just the opposite. soderberg didnt stop recruiting the likes of jacob pulley when he should have and then by the time pulley committed to kstate the players he might have been able to get earlier were gone.

actually metz it was just the opposite. soderberg didnt stop recruiting the likes of jacob pulley when he should have and then by the time pulley committed to kstate the players he might have been able to get earlier were gone.

Ah, the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Sounds like the announcement is @ 2:30 today. If playing time is a concern come to SLU because everyone will get minutes next year. Even playing 10 minutes a game as a freshmen here is probably more court than he will see at Tenn. Who knows, by the time he is a JR he could be a star for the Bills and playing 30 minutes a game.

Sounds like the announcement is @ 2:30 today. If playing time is a concern come to SLU because everyone will get minutes next year. Even playing 10 minutes a game as a freshmen here is probably more court than he will see at Tenn. Who knows, by the time he is a JR he could be a star for the Bills and playing 30 minutes a game.

Just from watching his vertical leap video, if he gets more minutes than KC next year, I'll be ok with that. Majerus doesn't owe KC anything. If QC is better, he'll play more. You play the players that put you in the best position to win.

You fancy yourself a male version of Ann Coulter? A polemicist?

No, I think if someone comes in and challenges for his minutes, that's what we want. Competition breeds success and motivation within players. Majerus is also a good enough coach to know if someone steps up and rises as a freshman, it doesn't matter that KC is a senior, the kid will play. If QC comes to SLU, I hope that's exactly what he does.

so because he can jump real high you assume he will be a better player? what about the other aspects of basketball?

man, dwight stones should have played for the lakers.

so because he can jump real high you assume he will be a better player? what about the other aspects of basketball?

man, dwight stones should have played for the lakers.

How about we have this debatbe after he signs his LOI?

As a side note, no way any freshman guard/SF gets more minutes than KC next year. If they do we found a really good player.

How about we have this debatbe after he signs his LOI?

As a side note, no way any freshman guard/SF gets more minutes than KC next year. If they do we found a really good player.

I came across this board while googling about SLU basketball. I love the recruiting information that I see so far.

Thanks!

Patrick

If the press conference is at 2:30 p.m. EDT, a decision should be coming shortly. Don't know if it's at 2:30 EDT or CDT.

I read on the Tennessee board that it is 2:30 EST. I don't have a good feeling but it looks like Tennesse doesn't either.

Patrick