This Team

This team has won 19 games without a second scorer, a center that missed at least a 3rd of the games, and no small forward.

Proud of the kids. Brad did a coach of the year job winning this many games with the hand he had. Hope things are as good as this next year.

Who is the pg for next year? Who will play the pf? Who will play sf?

>>Who is the pg for next year? Who will play the pf? Who will play sf?<<

PG: Coach has already said we live or die with Dwayne Polk.

PF: We know for sure that JJ and Izik will have minutes there. We also are assuredly going to take a JUCO PF.

SF: Izik / Luke Meyer (legit SF at 6'6") / Tommie Liddell (maybe)

We are building it slowly but surely.

JJ hasn't really proven anything yet, to me at least. I hope he can develop into a better player over the summer.

DC got some good minutes the last few games, and shows flashes of athleticism and the ability to create a shot.

IO continues to be enigma.

A healthy TF would be invaluable.

Who knows what to expect out of IV and BH.

AD's got the heart to possibly carry this team, if he wants it enough and continues to work on his shots, especially his free throws.

RB needs to be more consistent.

Hopefully our frosh can play a significant role.

Next season will be an adjustment, especially with JF and CS gone, but we're just in the beginning of Brad's reign, and you gotta believe the best is yet to come.

>I see AD and TF leading this team next year.

I see Reggie Bryant (second-team all Conference USA) leading the team next year. He was the leading scorer, and I think he can do more with more athletic teammates and a point guard more adept at attacking the weaknesses of opposing defenses and (hopefully) more interior weaponry. Rememberr, Reggie played this postseason with a heavy heart, because of his father's illness.

what reggie needs is for a second CONSISTENT scorer to step up. after the world figured out reggie was nails, he saw more stuff than he probably has ever seen played against him. teams have to play him straight up and he will be all conference.

I would agree with you Thicks that Reggie figures to be our Sr. Leader next year. I hope Tom has a season without the injury bugaboo that seemed to pop up most of the year. When he was healthy he showed that he is a force inside. I like AD and he has done some good things in big games, but I need to see him become more consistent game in and game out on both ends of the court before I would put him in a leader classification.

In talking about Reggie, seems to me that most all transfers do a whole helluva lot better their senior years than their junior years. Justin Love, MO Jeffers, Kenny Brown, etc. Look for reggie to have an even better season next year, along with Frericks. I truly like think we'll be again a better team next year. Let's get Liddel that ACT score, a bull at power forward, and look towards the bright future.

I will give Reggie a pass because he played the last 5 or 6 games with a heavy heart. But, it is not accurate to just blame the lack of a second scorer for all of his problems. His defense was often nonexistant and the other teams would punish us by having his man drive to the hoop and force someone to help leaving others open.

On offense, he needs to develop a much better sense for his shot selection and he needs to get stronger. As a senior next year he must step up and be a role model for our young guards. I am very pleased with how Anthony finished the season and he will be a key player as well. Let's hope all work hard over the summer. We have seen a lot of players--like Jeffers, Love, Perry, Fisher, etc. come back much stronger and more determined in their senior year. We will need that from next year's seniors.

>>>>>I see Reggie Bryant (second-team all Conference USA) leading the team next year. He was the leading scorer, and I think he can do more with more athletic teammates and a point guard more adept at attacking the weaknesses of opposing defenses and (hopefully) more interior weaponry. Rememberr, Reggie played this postseason with a heavy heart, because of his father's illness.<<<<<<

Thicks, I didn't mean they would be the best players or the leading scorers...I think AD and TF will be the heart and soul of this team next year like JF and CS were this year.

Will Ohanon be the only Romar player left on the team next year?

Tom has the potential of being a special force next season, but he will need to work on his composure on the court. Sloan had trouble all season keeping his cool and Tom seems to demonstrate the same behavior. His "bull" style of play can help us tremendously, but if he gets a reputation, he will be riding the pine with a lot of quick fouls.

Once again, I find myself in the position of having to explain. Number one, Reg would have never he came back this season, if we didn't push him too. So our team would have been worse off. That's how committed he is to our "father" and being there for him. Reg's DEFENSE!! has been NO SECRET. So if he lacks it, he'll learn but he may never be where any of us want him to be defensively. So I think we need to face that FACT. He is what he is and nothing more. A shooter, a scorer, a leader, you will only find those words when researching his history as a player. He has the grades, the respect, the talent etc.....but he cannot do them alone. I think this years team did a fine job of working together. But from experience, I can tell u that Reg has never been in a situation, Like he was at SLU. So it's different, it takes getting used to. He's the "man" here when he's used to dishing the pass and the player being ready, or stopping and popping, cause he knows the defenders are out there. Here it's just different. So expect him to adapt, but just not at your pace. Personally, I see that his defense has stepped up a lot from when he was in the Big East. Don't believe me, look at the tapes. So give him some credit. He scored in double figures almost the whole season and that's still not good enough. Reg is nothing but consistent on his worst games he scored like 11, 15...etc, Days when he scored 7, 9, etc...he stepped up on defense and got his other teammates that were "hot" the ball. Teammates like Chris, or Anthony, Josh, Tom, who all received an abundance of passes to finish from Reg, when he wasn't even getting the passes in return. I can tell u right now, we tried to keep Reg motivated and focused on the game. Everyday he wanted to come home, since he's been back, but played thru it. Think about that. Before then, he was still killing. He was CUSA's leading scorer for weeks and u still didn't see his name plastered around, I still have yet to see his name as PLAYER OF THE WEEK. In the past he played with a lot of his opponents this year, whether in the Big East, AAU, Prep School etc. So he's a seasoned and experienced player, just not your best player on defense. But don't try to knock his efforts, where would the team have been if he didn't produce as he did. Remember I told u all at the beginning of the season, that this years team wouldn't be Reg's team, at any given time any one of the guys would step up and take over. I think my point has been proven. Next year, we'll see what happens. Whatever the reason I beg to differ, Reg was pretty consistent as a player this year.

I think next year will be a great one for Reggie. He's already demonstrated great leadership and ability as a junior, and next year I think he'll have a Marque Perry-like senior year, carrying his teammates through the tough times when they need him most.

Thanks very much for your comments throughout the year, and even though I did not get to see Reggie play as much as I wanted, I did get to see that marvelous coming out game that he played VS AZ. I really look for Reggie to have an all conference year next year in leading our Billikens to the promised land...aka the Big Dance.

I'm sure playing these games with his Dad's health issues was a huge cross for Reggie to bear. My thoughts and prayers are with the Bryant family.

Reggie was tremendous this year. Even better than I expected. I admire the way he battled through adversity. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

On the court, I thought Reggie's defense improved as the season wore on. It's not the strongest part of his game, but I certainly don't question his effort. On the offensive end, I was pleasantly surprised at what a good passer Reggie is. Now, we need to develop a second scoring option to take some pressure off Reggie next year. I look forward to bigger and better things from Reggie and the Billikens in 04-05!

I think most of the Billiken fans would say they were very happy with Reg's performance. I for one would say he is better than I expected ... I agree his defense is not great ... but it is better than it was and will probably be better next year. People tend to think defense is only effort ... but anyone who has played will tell you that it is much more than that ... it is proper positioning, knowledge, and footwork as much as it is effort.

On offense he rarely got an open look without having to create it himself ... that is very tough when the opponent is keying on stopping you. As many things as Josh does well ( and there are many ) he did not help create open looks and space for Reggie. Add the situation with his father to the mix at the end ... I admire him for even being there and trying.

I would be willing to bet that with DP at the point next year and Reggie's continued growth as a player ... he will be even better next year ... in the future we will be wondering who will be the next Reggie Bryant.

Brehms ... good luck to you and my prayers go out to Reg, you and the rest of your family and most of all your dad. You talk to us frequently here so please make sure Reggie knows that the fans do love him and are very happy he his here.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I will agree that juco transfers tend to do better in their senior seasons than in their junior seasons, but I don't think it applies as much to transfers from four-year schools, because transfer players get to practice with the team for a year while they sit out the mandantory year. Not only has Reggie Bryant managed to fit in well with the Bills this year, but H Waldman didn't miss a beat when he came in, either. If we'd had to wait a year for him to get up to speed, we would have missed the boat entirely on Jamal Johnson (and missed the NIT that year). (Other than Bryant, Johnson, and Waldman, I can't think of any other four-year transfers who came in during my 16 years of following the team.

Ah, Love u guys too........u're all the highlight of my day. I get to work on time just to look on the board, at home especially lately I rarely have time to turn on the computer. I love it here. But rest assured Reg knows that the board is pulling for him and our family, we viewed some post when he was home, I thought it might lift his spirits and It did. I talk to him everyday, so he definitely knows. Reg doesn't talk much, but just knowing that they are people who actually took time to pray for our father and our family means a Lot to him.

brehms13, I personally am thrilled that Reggie was at SLU this year and also thrilled that he shall be back next year. He didn't have much help on the offensive end for the majority of the year. Drejaj came on at the end but was non-existent offensively for the majority of the season. Big Tom missed 1/4 of the games which created a void in the front court on offense. Ohanan ... a big mystery all season.

The talent level rises next year, especially in the back court. Reggie shall have some mates he can run with. If Tommie Liddell qualfies, that goes double.

Don't get too down based upon what you read. This is a message board and people blow alot of smoke on all such boards. I actually think Billiens posters are rather mild in this regard by comparison.