Progress of Rob Loe

joe_davola

What a game for Rob Loe. I know he had a great game against Georgia shooting wise and we thought he would make a huge impact this year. Obviously that hasn't happened yet, but every game he seems to be getting better and I'm not talking about his shot. He is tougher on the boards, stronger with the ball and seems to be gaining more and more confidence in playing the American style of basketball. Not sure about everyone else, but thinking about Loe as a junior and senior with 20-25 lbs of muscle on his frame gets me pumped for what he can do for the Bills. The skill is there and it is only a matter of time before we get to see the talent this dude really has.

What a game for Rob Loe. I know he had a great game against Georgia shooting wise and we thought he would make a huge impact this year. Obviously that hasn't happened yet, but every game he seems to be getting better and I'm not talking about his shot. He is tougher on the boards, stronger with the ball and seems to be gaining more and more confidence in playing the American style of basketball. Not sure about everyone else, but thinking about Loe as a junior and senior with 20-25 lbs of muscle on his frame gets me pumped for what he can do for the Bills. The skill is there and it is only a matter of time before we get to see the talent this dude really has.

Agreed. If he can get a little stronger putting the ball on the floor and continue to work on his post game, this sky is the limit for this kid.

If he, MM, DE and JJ stay for four years (I realize this is a big if for a lot of reasons) they could have a run unlike any class has ever had at SLU

The thing is he is probably the best passer on the team which I think is one of his best assets

Disagree with that.

But he did play a great/encouraging game today. Let's hope he can add 25 pounds or so in the off-season while also working on his shooting stroke to get it more consistent.

+1

It was very good game and promising day for Loe and the future. I don't know if he'll evolve from the pop-up shooter that he seems to be but we shall see. I'd take the shooter and a decent rebounder on the defensive end, the kind that doesn't allow a Xaiver-like team to mug us on the offensive boards as was the case today. Plus, he needs to be able to defnder the rare A10 big man that a Kenny Frease presents. The guy was unstoppable in the first half and had Dickey Simpkins calling him "Mister Frease" more times than I care to remember.

Does Jett have a shot outside of ten feet? Seems to be a decent dribble-driver but nothing outside the lane area. MM, DE and RL are keepers. Jett remains to be seen. In his defense, Je

It was very good game and promising day for Loe and the future. I don't know if he'll evolve from the pop-up shooter that he seems to be but we shall see. I'd take the shooter and a decent rebounder on the defensive end, the kind that doesn't allow a Xaiver-like team to mug us on the offensive boards as was the case today. Plus, he needs to be able to defend the rare A10 big man that a Kenny Frease presents. The guy was unstoppable in the first half and had Dickey Simpkins calling him "Mister Frease" more times than I care to remember.

Does Jett have a shot outside of ten feet? Seems to be a decent dribble-driver but nothing outside the lane area. MM, DE and RL are keepers. Jett remains to be seen. In his defense, Jett shows great promise on the defensive end, and is a nive rebounder for a point guard.

It was very good game and promising day for Loe and the future. I don't know if he'll evolve from the pop-up shooter that he seems to be but we shall see. I'd take the shooter and a decent rebounder on the defensive end, the kind that doesn't allow a Xaiver-like team to mug us on the offensive boards as was the case today. Plus, he needs to be able to defend the rare A10 big man that a Kenny Frease presents. The guy was unstoppable in the first half and had Dickey Simpkins calling him "Mister Frease" more times than I care to remember.

Does Jett have a shot outside of ten feet? Seems to be a decent dribble-driver but nothing outside the lane area. MM, DE and RL are keepers. Jett remains to be seen. In his defense, Jett shows great promise on the defensive end, and is a nive rebounder for a point guard.

Jett is extremely strong and athletic, can finish with either hand and controls his body well. He stays poised and has hit several clutch shots this year. He needs to become a better shooter, but he has shown more this year than Rob has, and I think Rob is going to be a great player.

Jett is extremely strong and athletic, can finish with either hand and controls his body well. He stays poised and has hit several clutch shots this year. He needs to become a better shooter, but he has shown more this year than Rob has, and I think Rob is going to be a great player.

agreed.

JJ reminds me of a poor mans Jason Kidd.

Not a great outside shooter but can get points in a lot of different ways.

Great rebounding for a guard.

Good handle, good passer, strong defense.

He has turned the ball over a lot but that is part of being a freshman. He has improved on that the last few games but IMO he is concentrating so much on not turning it over it is taking away from other parts of his game.

When he learns to not turn it over without thinking about it he will be a heck of a player.

RL also plays with some fire. He isn't the strongest guy a lot of the times, but he doesn't seem afraid to mix it up. I hope he develops a couple of solid post moves. If he does, he is going to be very difficult to stop.

I think this is exactly right and is a big asset of his and the team's. Conklin, Loe, and Salesich seem to be the only ones who get really fired up (not counting Barnett who is ALWAYS fired up on the bench - cannot wait to see him play). Add Willie and Barnett to the mix next year, and this team will be playing with real intensity. That is critical at home games because it also really gets the fans fired up and into the game.

Agreed. If he can get a little stronger putting the ball on the floor and continue to work on his post game, this sky is the limit for this kid.

If he, MM, DE and JJ stay for four years (I realize this is a big if for a lot of reasons) they could have a run unlike any class has ever had at SLU

Barnett will be a part of that class. They will be sophomores, juniors, and seniors together.

Barnett will be a part of that class. They will be sophomores, juniors, and seniors together.

I am praying this frosh class stays together. RL can learn to be more of a post player from RM and staff. With his outside shot, perfect form by the way, he'll be a load. Hit the weights, RL. In the 2 games I've seen on TV, MM looks to be awfully quick. Am sure his game's being a little restrained by the system. But it seems if they can get him the opportunities he could really be a force on fast breaks. I'd kind of like to see him at PG moreso than JJ, but you guys have seen him a lot more, so can't really judge that. JJ's a tough kid and can get to the hoop. He's a lot more advanced than what I remember Randy Pulley being, ie playing with a lot more control. DE could possible make the biggest strides if he can develop a jumper in the off season's. Definitely got a nose for the ball. And am excited to see JB join 'em. If his outside shot is as good as advertised it can't get here quick enough. Imagine for a moment RL, JB, CE, and KM with the collective ability to shoot at 40% from beyond the arc next year and we get the inside play from BC and WR that we saw today. That's a lot of chess pieces for RM to pick from.

Loe looked confident and comfortable out there against X. He had a swagger about him I hadn't seen up until this point. He has improved his play on both ends of the court.

Loe looked confident and comfortable out there against X. He had a swagger about him I hadn't seen up until this point. He has improved his play on both ends of the court.

I noticed the same thing. Body language this game and I think even the UMASS game was completely different than what I have seen so far. To me that means he is really starting to understand the system and his confidence is really starting to show. He doesnt have that look anymore...You know where it looks like he is trying to think about what move he needs to make next. He also showed me some toughness in that game against umass. At one point he threw one of their players to the ground.

I noticed the same thing. Body language this game and I think even the UMASS game was completely different than what I have seen so far. To me that means he is really starting to understand the system and his confidence is really starting to show. He doesnt have that look anymore...You know where it looks like he is trying to think about what move he needs to make next. He also showed me some toughness in that game against umass. At one point he threw one of their players to the ground.

I've always thought the people who said Loe had a pretty shot were crazy. It's not bad, but it's certainly not pretty. However, on the last three he hit, it was pretty. That was the one he took with the most confidence, and we needed it. PErhaps confidence is all he needs to become a good shooter again.

I am glad NH and dlarry believe Jett is poised. I have seen an unguarded Jett dribble a ball off his foot at halfcourt with no one on him so called me a little less convinced on Jett's poise factor. Comparing him to Randy Pulley is a disservice to Jett, however, as 72 did. Pulley was horrible, Jett is not. I know there are not a lot of options for a PG to pass to on this team so maybe the Kidd comparisons will get better but I see visions of Lamont Warren from Dayton here --- a point that can't shoot right now --- which is not a good place to be.

Best news: he's a freshman and can only get better (I think but this is Billiken basketball).

I believe WR being suspended has actually helped RL. If WR played, RL would have probably not been forced to play down low and would have been content with the pick and pop/jackin 3's..I think this year will help him figure out everything 10x faster, which will be awesome for next year.

He has a good shot. He is 6'11. CE needs to get his shot off quicker.

Anyone else like that drive RL flashed when he drove baseline and got fouled? He develops that and then will be able to dump off to WR... ONIONS!

I am glad NH and dlarry believe Jett is poised. I have seen an unguarded Jett dribble a ball off his foot at halfcourt with no one on him so called me a little less convinced on Jett's poise factor. Comparing him to Randy Pulley is a disservice to Jett, however, as 72 did. Pulley was horrible, Jett is not. I know there are not a lot of options for a PG to pass to on this team so maybe the Kidd comparisons will get better but I see visions of Lamont Warren from Dayton here --- a point that can't shoot right now --- which is not a good place to be.

Best news: he's a freshman and can only get better (I think but this is Billiken basketball).

He shows no emotion all game in a good way. Even when he makes a mistake he comes back and plays with the same confidence. He has, as I said, hit many clutch shots at the end of close game. But yes he has had turnover problems.

I've always thought the people who said Loe had a pretty shot were crazy. It's not bad, but it's certainly not pretty. However, on the last three he hit, it was pretty. That was the one he took with the most confidence, and we needed it. PErhaps confidence is all he needs to become a good shooter again.

The people who said that his shot was pretty are not crazy. The announcers were also talking about it yesterday. He's got a nice stroke on his free throws too. I think his biggest problem has been adjusting to the speed of the game. Early in the season, he rushed a lot of his shots. Now, I think he is more comfortable and if he slows down just a bit, as he has demonstrated in the last few games we're starting to see how well he can shoot.

The people who said that his shot was pretty are not crazy. The announcers were also talking about it yesterday. He's got a nice stroke on his free throws too. I think his biggest problem has been adjusting to the speed of the game. Early in the season, he rushed a lot of his shots. Now, I think he is more comfortable and if he slows down just a bit, as he has demonstrated in the last few games we're starting to see how well he can shoot.

It's a solid stroke and when he shoots it with confidence it could be called pretty for a big guy.