D. Evans

muddman

I was not at last nights game but watched some on tv. every game i have been to he does not get the ball enough in his hands. i think he is our best freshman, just has not gotten the chance to prove it. he does not get enough minutes and even at that he doesnt get the ball enough to do anything with it. he has had one great game this year with the double double, forgot who it was againist. his stats have started to come up tho.

I was not at last nights game but watched some on tv. every game i have been to he does not get the ball enough in his hands. i think he is our best freshman, just has not gotten the chance to prove it. he does not get enough minutes and even at that he doesnt get the ball enough to do anything with it. he has had one great game this year with the double double, forgot who it was againist. his stats have started to come up tho.

Not sure that you are watching or listening to enough games. Currently, Evans is 5th on the team in minutes per game. Since the Dayton game, he has played at least 22 minutes each game. The past 3 games he has scored 16, 12 and 9 points, respectively, while also pulling down a total of 28 boards. Against Fordham he had 14 FT attempts as well as 8 FG attempts. Last night, he got to the line once and had 7 FG attempts.

Basically, I think he is now actively involved in the offense and definitely gets enough minutes. Past 3 games he has 26 FG attemtps and 21 FT attempts. Perhaps he should get the ball a little more, or have some more plays ran for him, but I do not think he is being ignored or has not gotten a chance to prove himself.

P.S. He has actually had 2 double-doubles this year. One against Jacksonville and the other against St. Joe's.

I was at the game last and was impressed with DE as well. Yes, he's probably most comfortable with his back to the basket but, after last night, I am convinced he can play the 3. He can shoot the play (mid-range) and made several good moves to the basket. Most college teams have their 3 play more of a "small guard" as in more of a 3 guard offense. DE is probably more of a "small forward" who now needs to continue improving his dribble and his outside shot. DE is almost the complete opposite of Scott Highmark who was maybe our best 3. To me, Scott was a small guard as he sure could hit the outside shot and did not like, nor was effective, with his back to the basket. While a guard, Scott was still 6'4" and battled inside when he had to. Then again, we all held our breath when he had to dribble the ball to break the press and Scott also routinely got schooled by opponents who took him down low and posted up. To me, DE certainly has a bright future with our Bills at the 3. No need for DE to be an "undersized" 4.

Watching CE again, though, I think we should forget the notion that CE somehow play the 3. No clue at all why CE has lost his shot, but even when it returns, CE is a 4 and only a 4.

I was at the game last and was impressed with DE as well. Yes, he's probably most comfortable with his back to the basket but, after last night, I am convinced he can play the 3. He can shoot the play (mid-range) and made several good moves to the basket. Most college teams have their 3 play more of a "small guard" as in more of a 3 guard offense. DE is probably more of a "small forward" who now needs to continue improving his dribble and his outside shot. DE is almost the complete opposite of Scott Highmark who was maybe our best 3. To me, Scott was a small guard as he sure could hit the outside shot and did not like, nor was effective, with his back to the basket. While a guard, Scott was still 6'4" and battled inside when he had to. Then again, we all held our breath when he had to dribble the ball to break the press and Scott also routinely got schooled by opponents who took him down low and posted up. To me, DE certainly has a bright future with our Bills at the 3. No need for DE to be an "undersized" 4.

Watching CE again, though, I think we should forget the notion that CE somehow play the 3. No clue at all why CE has lost his shot, but even when it returns, CE is a 4 and only a 4.

DE is somewhat of a tweener, but so what? He has shown he can do a little bit of everything and that will only get better in time. In the future, with DE's and CE's respective skill sets, I could see having Evans guard opposing 3's on defense, but playing more of a "4" on offense, with Cody or Rob looking for looks on the perimeter on the offensive side of the ball. This would be kind of similar to what we saw last year when Smif and Ellis were in the game together, though I think Evans is better suited for guarding 3's than Smith was.

As of right now, I think a lineup of WR, CE, DE, KC, and KM would be the best "everyday" starting lineup next year, though matchups could dictate some changes.

He excels in two areas we desperately need, rebounding and post offense. He also defends well. The things he needs to improve are getting his jump shot off quicker and free throws. You can see his confidence growing. Great future.

completely agree. He can dribble, just hasn't had enough guard play this season to demonstrate such. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't have handles like MM, JJ or KM though.

Was encouraged watching DE put the ball on the floor several times to drive against RI but I thought he was trying to do too much on the offensive end. He's an aggressive player, which we don't have enough of, so I hope he matures as a player finding the matchups where his strengths can be used to advantage and when discretion is the better part of valor.

I would have liked to have seen DE on the floor in the last 2 minutes. He has a terrific nose for the ball. With the way we were shooting last night our only chance at the end was to get an offensive rebound and put-back. Ellis and Loe will come around eventually. Hopefully Salecich can build on his recent shooting improvements and grab more minutes if he can continue. His defense and ball-handling are solid. Just trying to find anyone that can make a 3. 4-22 is pathetic.

Evans can put the ball on the floor but he doesn't have a lot of court awareness. He invariably gets in the lane for a jumper and is blocked from behind. It has happened several times over the season. He doesn't seem to know where defenders are.

DE is somewhat of a tweener, but so what? He has shown he can do a little bit of everything and that will only get better in time. In the future, with DE's and CE's respective skill sets, I could see having Evans guard opposing 3's on defense, but playing more of a "4" on offense, with Cody or Rob looking for looks on the perimeter on the offensive side of the ball. This would be kind of similar to what we saw last year when Smif and Ellis were in the game together, though I think Evans is better suited for guarding 3's than Smith was.

As of right now, I think a lineup of WR, CE, DE, KC, and KM would be the best "everyday" starting lineup next year, though matchups could dictate some changes.

JB would start over CE or DE. They didnt use a scholarship for him sit out and redshirt and then be a backup. He was the leading scorer on a team as a freshman and could be the Bills top scorer next year.

JB would start over CE or DE. They didnt use a scholarship for him sit out and redshirt and then be a backup. He was the leading scorer on a team as a freshman and could be the Bills top scorer next year.

I was surprised to see CR in the game in the waning minutes, as well. No knock on CR he is making progress but DE gets less flustered under pressure. I would have thought our best shooters should have been out there

I was surprised to see CR in the game in the waning minutes, as well. No knock on CR he is making progress but DE gets less flustered under pressure. I would have thought our best shooters should have been out there

I don't think CR is making any progress, he is regressing. Last year in the CBI he looked like he could be a future scoring threat but he hasn't shown anything except a big one hand dunk and the foul against Rhode Island. He has bad footwork and looks lost all the time. I hope we can get to a point in the future where he will play limited minutes because the flat top looks a lot better when he is sitting on the bench.

I don't think CR is making any progress, he is regressing. Last year in the CBI he looked like he could be a future scoring threat but he hasn't shown anything except a big one hand dunk and the foul against Rhode Island. He has bad footwork and looks lost all the time. I hope we can get to a point in the future where he will play limited minutes because the flat top looks a lot better when he is sitting on the bench.

I think he gets pushed out of position so often he expects it and over compensates sometimes.

No doubt we have a better motion offense with DE, JJ, KC, MM and only one big but who will rebound?

OK that answer can not be no one.

CR will be fine. He had a horrible beginning to the year. No doubt about that. His minutes were way down and he looked lost. He has the ability he just needs more minutes. He has started to get more minutes and is definately playing better the last 5 games or so. It really seems to be a confidence thing. They rarely get him the ball in a descent position to be successful. His footwork is a little awkward at times but I honestly think he is surprised that he gets the ball at times. it seems like RM has tried to get him more involved in the offense lately and he looks a little more comfortable. At the end of last year in the CBI, KM and WR were a big factor for CR. He is a role player just like the entire team this year. He was a good drive and dish guy for KM last year and a good dump out of the double for WR. He was finishing in both of those situations at the end of last year. He will be a different player next year if both return.