Monday open practice

GOSLU68

I am going to the Majerus luncheon, downtown MAC, tomorrow.

The team has plenty of talent; someone who gets to watch told me RL and MM are the real deal and either KC or MM will operate the point.

That it is too early for even RM to know.

He also says this is a strong recruiting class not an off year.

He says CE thinner and in better shape.

BC 100% has his hops back. He and CR could make up for WR but with different skills-either of these guys will bang but neither has Willie's quick throw down dunk.

We have to be a much better free throw shooting team. That should be worth 4 points a game. Because of Loe and BC

For my thoughts after this conversation today: for me Willie lost his man on defense too often. We should improve there.

Last season it was in conference second semester before our guards took care of the ball bringing it down. Remember? Earlier BC had to help out, often.

We may be less flashy but fewer mistakes and with RL and CE providing offense less pressure on these two guys re: fouls. Willie had his own fatigue induced foul problems

Unfortunately CR was just as poor at the free throw line as WR .45 to .47 CR was not the rebounder you would expect JS was better on offense and rebounding-CR can block shots

and I remember quite a few blocked shots where he came away with ball control instead of swatting it away. Unfortunately JS often looked lost on offense and defense.

Last year BC had 20 minutes per game, CR had 12 and Willie 27.5

We shouldn't lose ground on rebounds- last year our guards got whatever WR or BC didn't get; RL has to help in that regards

The dunk may be less of a factor but our guards will be taller and stronger this year, Minutes that went to CS and Jordan last year may be upgraded.

Let's hope the guards and Loe add offense. Willie only got 12.5 a game surely RL can give us 10 with the reputation he is better than CE who I was thrilled with.

starters?

RL

BC

CE

MM or KC

CS or MM lots of minutes going to the hot hand. Who will surprise us JJ or DE?

If KM does get back in school MM and JJ should give KC and KM some breather minutes this year. We could really be the spoilers in the A-10

The team has plenty of talent; someone who gets to watch told me RL and MM are the real deal and either KC or MM will operate the point.

BC 100% has his hops back. He and CR could make up for WR but with different skills-either of these guys will bang but neither has Willie's quick throw down dunk.

We have to be a much better free throw shooting team. That should be worth 4 points a game. Because of Loe and BC

For my thoughts after this conversation today: for me Willie lost his man on defense too often. We should improve there.

Last season it was in conference second semester before our guards took care of the ball bringing it down. Remember? Earlier BC had to help out, often.

We may be less flashy but fewer mistakes and with RL and CE providing offense less pressure on these two guys re: fouls. Willie had his own fatigue induced foul problems

Unfortunately CR was just as poor at the free throw line as WR .45 to .47 CR was not the rebounder you would expect JS was better on offense and rebounding-CR can block shots

and I remember quite a few blocked shots where he came away with ball control instead of swatting it away. Unfortunately JS often looked lost on offense and defense.

We shouldn't lose ground on rebounds- last year our guards got whatever WR or BC didn't get; RL has to help in that regards

The dunk may be less of a factor but our guards will be taller and stronger this year, Minutes that went to CS and Jordan last year may be upgraded.

Let's hope the guards and Loe add offense. Willie only got 12.5 a game surely RL can give us 10 with the reputation he is better than CE who I was thrilled with.

starters?

RL

BC

CE

MM or KC

If KM does get back in school MM and JJ should give KC and KM some breather minutes this year. We could really be the spoilers in the A-10

No mention of DE. From what we heard last spring I thought he might be the real surprise recruit. Not that he'd set the world on fire but that he was an upgrade over JSmiff and would work his way into providing us with some valuable mpg.

No mention of DE. From what we heard last spring I thought he might be the real surprise recruit. Not that he'd set the world on fire but that he was an upgrade over JSmiff and would work his way into providing us with some valuable mpg.

According to the ESPN analysis, DE has a big motor, long arms, gets to the rim, and runs the floor well. Sounds like he can contibute at the 3.

I remember 2 years ago when people where saying maybe WR should redshirt because he was to thin. Maybe RL will surprise us too.

Alot of potential with all this talent. I'm ready for a cold beer in 118.

starters?

RL

BC

CE

MM or KC

I am confused, everything I have heard and read about RL is that he is a big man who plays facing the basket and is not someone who will bang the boards. To think that RL will replace anything lost from WR leaving is probably not true. Also, to place the expectation of RL being a big scorer is once again not realistic. Lets wait and see when RL starts getting pushed around by other bigs before we get to giddy about his first year. I prefer to take the approach with him - that he will be learning and whatever you get from him is a bonus - I hope he surprises me!

i am taking the approach that losing reed and mitchell is like losing your two best seniors. granted rickma would have recruited a little differently had he known they were gone like two seniors, but still we have what our coaches have told us is their best recruiting class yet coming in so while the impact will be there, it isnt going to send us to the depths of fordham imo.

also, someone mentioned being surprised. over rickma's term, i have been pleasantly surprised by a lot of the players. my gosh, no way anyone expected willie reed to be the player he turned out to be the past two years. while mitchell came in with some acclaim, i dont think we expected him to immediately be the man he was. i would have bet a lot of chips against the impact ellis made last year. i honestly never expected kyle to be the leader and glue player that he is for the billikens.

the point is, while i dont expect it, i wont bet against a sophomore stepping up or one of the freshman turning into willie or kwamain either. as coach norman dale says early on in hoosiers, "my team's on the floor". let's see what happens. i am not going to worry about players more worried about kansas state. i will be rooting for our billikens we have on the floor.

i am taking the approach that losing reed and mitchell is like losing your two best seniors. granted rickma would have recruited a little differently had he known they were gone like two seniors, but still we have what our coaches have told us is their best recruiting class yet coming in so while the impact will be there, it isnt going to send us to the depths of fordham imo.

also, someone mentioned being surprised. over rickma's term, i have been pleasantly surprised by a lot of the players. my gosh, no way anyone expected willie reed to be the player he turned out to be the past two years. while mitchell came in with some acclaim, i dont think we expected him to immediately be the man he was. i would have bet a lot of chips against the impact ellis made last year. i honestly never expected kyle to be the leader and glue player that he is for the billikens.

the point is, while i dont expect it, i wont bet against a sophomore stepping up or one of the freshman turning into willie or kwamain either. as coach norman dale says early on in hoosiers, "my team's on the floor". let's see what happens. i am not going to worry about players more worried about kansas state. i will be rooting for our billikens we have on the floor.

I guess RM expects more from the people he recruits. Old business saying, You get what you expect, expect the best! :D

I am confused, everything I have heard and read about RL is that he is a big man who plays facing the basket and is not someone who will bang the boards. To think that RL will replace anything lost from WR leaving is probably not true. Also, to place the expectation of RL being a big scorer is once again not realistic. Lets wait and see when RL starts getting pushed around by other bigs before we get to giddy about his first year. I prefer to take the approach with him - that he will be learning and whatever you get from him is a bonus - I hope he surprises me!

He may not end up a good rebounder, but to assume that he isn't because he likes to play facing the basket offensively may be a mistake. Where and how he plays defensively has nothing to do with his offensive game.

+1

He may not end up a good rebounder, but to assume that he isn't because he likes to play facing the basket offensively may be a mistake. Where and how he plays defensively has nothing to do with his offensive game.

I get your point -it just is from what we have heard about his style he does not seem like a rebounding type player - hope you are right/

I get your point -it just is from what we have heard about his style he does not seem like a rebounding type player - hope you are right/

Hell, I have no idea if he's a good rebounder or not. It's just that every time you hear a big likes to play away and facing up, the assumption is he can't and it's often wrong.

Hell, I have no idea if he's a good rebounder or not. It's just that every time you hear a big likes to play away and facing up, the assumption is he can't and it's often wrong.

Last year Cody Ellis had such a positive (and immediate) impact on our offense because his ability to shoot the three opened up the floor by drawing one of our opponent's big men away from the basket.

Similarly, if Rob Loe can draw our opponent's Power Forward away from the basket, some of our rebounding loss can be mitigated. Additionally, this can potentially open up the floor, giving our guards an opportunity to penetrate. Even if he faces the basket, he can have a huge impact on our offense.

The only time Majerus mentioned DE was when a floor question asked if he had to use different personnel for the Motion versus the "20" offences.

His only response was about DE who wasn't mentioned before or after-he said he was tough, strong, maybe too aggressive but insinuated he would like him at the 3 but he was lost on the perimeter after playing all of his highschool as a 4 or 5

Then he drifted into Jake Barnett and you could tell he wished he could play him now.

No other comments to differentiate the Motion and the "20"