Saw Jake Barnett Play Yesterday

He played in the Bonner League yesterday and really put on a show. He hit several three's from NBA range, handled the ball well, and scored against contact at the rim. He may be playing again this evening at Harris-Stowe. If I can get my hands on the schedule again, I'll post it ASAP.

Thanks for the update. This kid sounds like he has a bright future and will be a perfect fit in the A-10. Have any of the incoming freshmen been playing in the Bonner league? Im assuming Kwamain, Willie, Kyle, and Cory are playing in it.

That's great to hear, thanks. We've really been in need of a shooter on the wing with some size. Sounds a lot like the type of player that many of us hoped Jeff Reed would be.

Very nice updated. Thanks! Too bad he can't suit up this season, but a year learning the Majerus Way will be good for him.

Thanks for the update. This kid sounds like he has a bright future and will be a perfect fit in the A-10. Have any of the incoming freshmen been playing in the Bonner league? Im assuming Kwamain, Willie, Kyle, and Cory are playing in it.

Dwayne Evans also played yesterday. Scored most of his points in transition, finished a couple of And1's, and made a crafty face-up basket in the post. Will earn playing time because of his defense.

Great report on JB , shame he will not be able to play this season would have been a great benefit .

Sounds like a big upgrade on CS as a shooter, will demand a big portion of court time the following season if he is as good as the report above suggests. With JB and the new recruits it appears RM`s puzzle is coming together quite nicely for a big push at the NCAA Tourny in 2012, KM,WR,BC & KC senior year.

Great report on JB , shame he will not be able to play this season would have been a great benefit .

Sounds like a big upgrade on CS as a shooter, will demand a big portion of court time the following season if he is as good as the report above suggests. With JB and the new recruits it appears RM`s puzzle is coming together quite nicely for a big push at the NCAA Tourny in 2012, KM,WR,BC & KC senior year.

Try 2011. We will dance next year.

A Shoe doesn't make that kind of a statement unless he knows what he is talking about. I agree. Things are falling into place nicely. Amazing what a full roster of D1 kids, and a great coaching staff will do for a team's progress. Boy am I going to enjoy it.

Very nice updated. Thanks! Too bad he can't suit up this season, but a year learning the Majerus Way will be good for him.

I love reports on summer/all star game activities. Never mentions defense. That is all Majerus really bases his team's PT.

I love how this will be a team with many different type players so we can match up against other teams' strengths. MM will help tremendously if he can reproduce the outside shots at the D1 level. How many guys have we had that were great outside shooters and just can't seem to continue with a big defender in his face?

There is certainly much cause for optimism, but it is still spring training time for these guys. Let's see after RM has had a chance to get in their faces and see how they respond.

mhg

Try 2011. We will dance next year.

I do believe we will be at the Big Dance this year but i dont think we will go to far as yet as i believe there is still a couple of pieces missing to the RM puzzle and would not be suprised to see 1 or 2 players leave at the end of this season and upgraded , but i think 2012 will be the year we crack the Sweet 16 or even the Elite 8.

You gotta be kidding. I am as much of a Billiken fan as anyone but we are still not getting top 150 talent. I will be happy to get to the dance and hope for a win in the first round. Anything more than that would be terrific but unexpected.

I love reports on summer/all star game activities. Never mentions defense. That is all Majerus really bases his team's PT.

I love how this will be a team with many different type players so we can match up against other teams' strengths. MM will help tremendously if he can reproduce the outside shots at the D1 level. How many guys have we had that were great outside shooters and just can't seem to continue with a big defender in his face?

There is certainly much cause for optimism, but it is still spring training time for these guys. Let's see after RM has had a chance to get in their faces and see how they respond.

mhg

I agree with this notion completely. We have had a lot of people who were supposed to come in to shoot the three to stretch the defense. When they got here, they just didn't have the killer instinct like a shooter needs. Dustin M. comes to mind but I know there have been others. I will also proceed with caution regarding MM's ability to stretch the defense and be a dead-eye shooter. He just looks too much like DP ;)

I agree with this notion completely. We have had a lot of people who were supposed to come in to shoot the three to stretch the defense. When they got here, they just didn't have the killer instinct like a shooter needs. Dustin M. comes to mind but I know there have been others. I will also proceed with caution regarding MM's ability to stretch the defense and be a dead-eye shooter. He just looks too much like DP ;)

Sigh. Someday soon people will wake up and realize that comparing the guys RM is bringing in to past Billiken failures is a joke.

Barnett averaged 13 ppg, shot 37% from 3 and 80% from FT as a FRESHMAN and he is getting compared to DM???

MM was considered by many to be one of the top players in Chicago and many neutral scouting services called him a upper BCS caliber player and he is getting compared to DP???

I'll say it again:

We are going to the dance next year. If the whole team comes back the next year (no injuries, going pro, etc.) we should be a top 20 the following year which means a very good chance at making it to the 2nd weekend. Tourist and I are on the same page. The rest of the doubters will be soon enough.

Sigh. Someday soon people will wake up and realize that comparing the guys RM is bringing in to past Billiken failures is a joke.

Barnett averaged 13 ppg, shot 37% from 3 and 80% from FT as a FRESHMAN and he is getting compared to DM???

MM was considered by many to be one of the top players in Chicago and many neutral scouting services called him a upper BCS caliber player and he is getting compared to DP???

I'll say it again:

We are going to the dance next year. If the whole team comes back the next year (no injuries, going pro, etc.) we should be a top 20 the following year which means a very good chance at making it to the 2nd weekend. Tourist and I are on the same page. The rest of the doubters will be soon enough.

Backhand has made several bets this summer with skeptics taking the Bills cracking the top 25 before the year is over. Backhand is that confident.

I'll say it again:

This statement right here, is the reason I sit in section 108...aka, the 'Shoe' Section. Let's get this season started already...no one wants to play at the Fetz

You gotta be kidding. I am as much of a Billiken fan as anyone but we are still not getting top 150 talent. I will be happy to get to the dance and hope for a win in the first round. Anything more than that would be terrific but unexpected.

How far did St Marys go into the Dance this year ?

How Many top 150 recruits did they have ?

I'll say it again:

Great post, Shoe. There is no basis to compare the quality of players RM and team have delivered and that which Brad recruited. By my count Brad brought in maybe 9 legit D1 players in his 5 year reign (IV, KL, TL, LM, IO, AD, TF, MR and RB) and only 4 of them would have likely been starters in the A-10. RM's lost almost as many as Brad ran through SLU. The days of bringing in practice players, ie Obi Wans and Dixons, are over. I too think the dance is a reachable target this year. How deep we go depends on a lot of variables none of us can forsee at this point.

As the great Don James once said, "Depth is a fancy word for insurance."

We're only as good as the five guys starting every night and a couple of other guys who can give us minutes off the bench.

We'll lose guys, sure, but all programs do. Don't sweat the small stuff.

No offense intended... but "unexpected" to you or the casual fan who presumes SLU, because of its history, will never be more than a 1 year fluke? That same casual fan is getting ready to give up on RM thinking he hasn't really done much here at SLU.

No offense intended... but "unexpected" to you or the casual fan who presumes SLU, because of its history, will never be more than a 1 year fluke? That same casual fan is getting ready to give up on RM thinking he hasn't really done much here at SLU.

WV is clueless...reminds me of Eastsidejoe. Tune into games this year WV. Keep in mind no seniors either (except of eckerle).

If Loe was in the top 10 non USA players then I would say he would rank in the top 150 easily.

Boy, some of you guys are sensitive. Still don't think we are getting the type of player that will get us into the Sweet 16 yet. I guess I am waiting to see us beat a top team, other than another A-10 team, at home or on the road. When that happens a couple of times I will be a believer. Until then, I have high hopes that we make the NCAA tourney next year and perhaps make some noise in the first round. But beyond that, I still have serious doubts.

Boy, some of you guys are sensitive. Still don't think we are getting the type of player that will get us into the Sweet 16 yet. I guess I am waiting to see us beat a top team, other than another A-10 team, at home or on the road. When that happens a couple of times I will be a believer. Until then, I have high hopes that we make the NCAA tourney next year and perhaps make some noise in the first round. But beyond that, I still have serious doubts.

I'm not one of these people that say that recruiting rankings don't matter, because in general they are indicative of the caliber of the players you are getting, but you are putting WAY to much emphasis on individual players and where they rank coming out of highschool.

We have proven studs in KM and WR (proven studs are always better than highly rated recruits like Kenny Frease). CE is a stud in the making and RL and MM will also be studs. Others will step up to be very good role players or more. The talent on this team has never been better in my lifetime.

p.s. given our often repeated issues of getting top notch opponents on the schedule you may be waiting a long time if you want multiple wins over top non-conference teams before becoming a believer. I'll send you a postcard from the dance while you still ponder your doubts...