Conference realignments and travel

Nah, you no write good. And as Box pointed out, you no research good either.

CIC == Big Ten Committe on Institutional Cooperation. There's an interesting take on the perceived benefits here.

OK - in other words it is nothing of great consequence and from reading the article it played zero impact on NE decision to join the Big 10. I am inclined to accept the position of this article because of my past experience with institutions cooperating - when money is involved it is not happening and when money is not involved it still probably is not happening.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - in other words it is nothing of great consequence and from reading the article it played zero impact on NE decision to join the Big 10. I am inclined to accept the position of this article because of my past experience with institutions cooperating - when money is involved it is not happening and when money is not involved it still probably is not happening.

I would be willing to guarantee it played a much bigger role than you think, and that the university's regents cared very much about it.

personally i think had grawer, spoon, romar and soderberg had the assistant coaching salaries, expense accounts and chaifetz arena, that the billiken program now has, they all would have been far more successful than they were while being nickel and dimed as billiken coaches during their tenures.

as tonka says, as long as the program continues with the focus it now has and affords the same luxuries, i see no reason the program will take a step back.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Nah, you no write good. And as Box pointed out, you no research good either.

CIC == Big Ten Committe on Institutional Cooperation. There's an interesting take on the perceived benefits here.

What did "Box" point out?

personally i think had grawer, spoon, romar and soderberg had the assistant coaching salaries, expense accounts and chaifetz arena, that the billiken program now has, they all would have been far more successful than they were while being nickel and dimed as billiken coaches during their tenures.

as tonka says, as long as the program continues with the focus it now has and affords the same luxuries, i see no reason the program will take a step back.

With Chaifetz & budget, etc... maybe, possibly, maybe, Romar could get us kinda close to the same level.

I think he could recruit with his NBA history and west coast reach.

But no way Grawer and Sodie...nor could Spoon, actually, recruit like RM.

All good X & O coaches, good guys, but...

I would be willing to guarantee it played a much bigger role than you think, and that the university's regents cared very much about it.

How would you be able to guarantee that - were you in the room with the NE Board of Regents? I doubt it. You no actual proof if it played a role or not. Even if they did talk about it I doubt that it was anything but glanced over.

How would you be able to guarantee that - were you in the room with the NE Board of Regents? I doubt it. You no actual proof if it played a role or not. Even if they did talk about it I doubt that it was anything but glanced over.

To me its something that regents and universities LIKE TO SAY after the made a decision so that it has the broad support of the university, professors and other students that don't care about athletics. Its not a primary reason they left yet by hyping it up everybody can feel good about the move.

Cheesey has apparently bought into the idea and he'll even guarantee its authenticity.

Cheeseman don't you get it the CIC is the only program in the country that supports academics. All those other universities in the country are basically DeVry Tech schools. There are no other grant programs or academic alliances besides the CIC. I'm sure someone can bring up the huge amounts of money the CIC deals with but you have to remember we are dealing with schools that have 40,000 students as well so yeah they should be dealing with large amounts of money.

I agree with most of what you posted here. I will say that Spoon was actually paid pretty well by SLU. They did nickel and dime him, but his salary wasn't bad.

With Chaifetz & budget, etc... maybe, possibly, maybe, Romar could get us kinda close to the same level.

I think he could recruit with his NBA history and west coast reach.

But no way Grawer and Sodie...nor could Spoon, actually, recruit like RM.

All good X & O coaches, good guys, but...

first for those with reading comprehension problems, i said higher paid assistant coaches not the coach himself.

mb, so all those luxuries (arena, better high paid assistants, loose checkbook) dont help rickma recruit? there is no advantage for him because of those attributes afforded him that no previous coach had? we dont know how good the other 4 coaches could have performed compared to rickma since they never had those benefits. and we dont know how well rickma could perform if he didnt have them as he has had them from day one at slu.

but it makes more sense that spoon, grawer, romar and soderberg would have done better wit them and odds are rickma wouldnt have done as well without them.

Grawer and Spoon, yes. Sodie, I'm not so sure. Improved facilities and other amenities wouldn't have improved his player evaulation skills.

You know, I'm pretty sure none of my media brethren have commented on the geographic incongruity if Mizzou had joined/joins the Big Ten. (Not to mention the effects on Nebraska.) At the far periphery of the conference's borders? No direct air service to virtually all the home cities of the other teams, leading to massive lost class times for athletes? The children! Think of the children!

When I was in Detroit Metro Airport last year, I saw direct flights listed to State College, PA. I seriously doubt Detroit has direct flights to State College if PSU was not in the B10. I think that soon there will be direct flights to Lincoln from all the B10 airports

To me its something that regents and universities LIKE TO SAY after the made a decision so that it has the broad support of the university, professors and other students that don't care about athletics. Its not a primary reason they left yet by hyping it up everybody can feel good about the move.

Cheesey has apparently bought into the idea and he'll even guarantee its authenticity.

How is that any different from people on here completely disregarding it? We believe different things.

first for those with reading comprehension problems, i said higher paid assistant coaches not the coach himself.

mb, so all those luxuries (arena, better high paid assistants, loose checkbook) dont help rickma recruit? there is no advantage for him because of those attributes afforded him that no previous coach had? we dont know how good the other 4 coaches could have performed compared to rickma since they never had those benefits. and we dont know how well rickma could perform if he didnt have them as he has had them from day one at slu.

but it makes more sense that spoon, grawer, romar and soderberg would have done better wit them and odds are rickma wouldnt have done as well without them.

Broy, you spin like The Chosen One.

BIGS.

It is about bigs.

Of course the arena, assts, etc helps Rickma.

And would have helped the 4 coaches you cite, I never said it wouldn't have. BUT NOT TO THIS LEVEL!

Recruiting big men is the key, and Rickma's reputation with big men and national, even global contacts, put him head and shoulders over Grawer and Sodie, well above Spoon, and better than Romar.

This is really just the 3rd yr that RM should be graded, his recruits just have 2 yrs under their belt.

Look at the bigs we have: Willie, Roe, Ellis, Remekun, Conklin, Evans.

Willie's improvment from freshman to soph was spectacular.

That is Rickma's signature quality.

We have NEVER been even close to this kind of quality and depth.

Do not credit this to Chaifetz, etc.

Sorry that Jon Smith is leaving... but in a certain sense, that is good, shows how strong we are.

We have always had guards, they are plentiful.

Dime a dozen.

Like know-it-all middle management bankers.

BIGS.

It is about bigs.

And would have helped the 4 coaches you cite, I never said it wouldn't have. BUT NOT TO THIS LEVEL!

Recruiting big men is the key, and Rickma's reputation with big men and national, even global contacts, put him head and shoulders over Grawer and Sodie, well above Spoon, and better than Romar.

This is really just the 3rd yr that RM should be graded, his recruits just have 2 yrs under their belt.

Sorry that Jon Smith is leaving... but in a certain sense, that is good, shows how strong we are.

Dime a dozen.

MB73 knows hypotheticals better than you, Roy.

MB73 knows hypotheticals better than you, Roy.

cheesy, he doesnt get it. if you look tunnelvision up, mb's picture is there.

BIGS.

It is about bigs.

Dime a dozen.

Are you a SLU grad?

What does this mean?

i would think that it is an insult to be compared to me these days on this message board since i am not a rickma lemming.

Can you give us the salaries of the assitatn coaches going back to the Grawer era? I'd be interested to see how they have progressed.