Conference realignments and travel

I actually agree with a lot of what you say, but to clarify re: the Rams...

Martz was left with GREAT team on "O", and decent "D", but Martz had never been a HEAD coach, could not deal with the whole responsibility, the talent diminished over time, Martz over-rode Army's decisons and started drafting clowns like Trung Candidate. He got in a ridiculous personal ego rift with Kurt Warner, etc, etc, it is my system, not the QB, we can go with Bulger. When Martz was gone, the cupboard was bare. Rams were in a death spiral. Vermeil was a-lucky-as-hell-fluke for a dysfunctional organization (Shaw, etc).

Similarly, after RM leaves, we will be OK for a few yrs, but talent and pipeline (Australia) and system and coaching/teaching will trickle away unless we get incredibly lucky (again) and get a true star coach (doubt it). The longer RM stays, the better the possibility that we establish a bit of tradition and we get a higher quality established coach.

(Broy-breath: I am not saying RM is Vermeil caliber across the board, but in the context of SLU hoops, it is a verisimilar comparison coaching wise)

Vermeil was hell-bent on drafting Curits Ennis and loved Lawrence Phillips. I don't think his talent evaluation was all that great. Here's my quick take on how/why the Rams became successul....

1. trading for Marshall Faulk

2. drafting Orlando Pace and Torrie Holt

3. signing Adam Timmermann

4. Being lucky enough to have Warner as a backup when Green got hurt

There were good moves on the defensive side as well. You can't take the super bowl away from Dixie, but IMO he was as lucky as he was good in many cases.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic