Assessment of Rob Loe

I talked to a friend of mine who has a daughter who lives in NZ and she talked with a friend of a friend who as it turned out actually coached Loe for a few years. The coach said that Loe was a decent athlete who can take just about any big man on the dribble. He said that Loe needs to be pushed because there just was not enough quality big men in NZ to challenge him. He did not say that he was lazy just that he was able to get by on his height without too much extra effort. He also said that Loe has a huge upside if he gets with the right coach who can teach him the proper techniques. Just passing this on since it came from some one who knows Loe and his ability very well.

I talked to a friend of mine who has a daughter who lives in NZ and she talked with a friend of a friend who as it turned out actually coached Loe for a few years. The coach said that Loe was a decent athlete who can take just about any big man on the dribble. He said that Loe needs to be pushed because there just was not enough quality big men in NZ to challenge him. He did not say that he was lazy just that he was able to get by on his height without too much extra effort. He also said that Loe has a huge upside if he gets with the right coach who can teach him the proper techniques. Just passing this on since it came from some one who knows Loe and his ability very well.

This is great! Thanks Cheese!

With the way Rick coaches big men and having to go up against Willie, Cory, Conk, Smif, and Cody everyday in practice will no doubt push him and make him a better player. Hopefully he gets done with his international obligations soon so he can start training in St. Louis.

With the way Rick coaches big men and having to go up against Willie, Cory, Conk, Smif, and Cody everyday in practice will no doubt push him and make him a better player. Hopefully he gets done with his international obligations soon so he can start training in St. Louis.

The way WR came on at the end of the year, RL is gonna get a pretty good idea of what it will take for him to be an NBA big. Those practices would be fun to watch.

The way WR came on at the end of the year, RL is gonna get a pretty good idea of what it will take for him to be an NBA big.

Are you saying that Loe will get an idea of what it takes to be an NBA big by practicing against Reed? I'm pretty sure that won't give him a good idea of what it takes for him to be an NBA big. Reed is not an NBA caliber player, yet. Reed did show tremendous improvement from his freshman season to his sophomore season, but that doesn't make him NBA material. Reed may give Loe more of a challenge than some bigs in New Zealand but to say he will get a good idea of what it takes to be in the NBA is a bit ridiculous.

I gotta side with Johnny on this. Willie was awesome last year and will only get better and may one day (2 years from now) interest some NBA scouts, but not quite yet. Willie was one of the better bigs in the A-10 for sure and perhaps a top 50 guy in all of college basketball. That said, Willie, and Cory for that matter, will both be able to push and help Loe in his development. Heck, the Conk can definitely help toughen him up. If you can regularly score against those three down low--you are one heck of a college level player. Darn near any NBA big would do so regularly and easily. Luckily for us SLU plays college basketball.

I am excited to see what Loe really does bring to the table. By all indications he is going to be a great addition to the team and can start contributing from day one.

Are you saying that Loe will get an idea of what it takes to be an NBA big by practicing against Reed? I'm pretty sure that won't give him a good idea of what it takes for him to be an NBA big. Reed is not an NBA caliber player, yet. Reed did show tremendous improvement from his freshman season to his sophomore season, but that doesn't make him NBA material. Reed may give Loe more of a challenge than some bigs in New Zealand but to say he will get a good idea of what it takes to be in the NBA is a bit ridiculous.

If you watched Willie play against the VCU big Sanders who supposedly may be a first round pick in the NBA draft then you could see that playing against Willie is playing against someone with NBA athleticism. He needs muscle and seasoning and conditioning but he will be a very difficult guy for Loe to match up with every day and Loe, with his mobility and outside shooting ability will be able to put pressure on Willie as well. It is a wonderful thing to have two bigs with such talent and upside potential.

Guest BillikenReport

If anyone is interested, I have a premium story on my site in which Chris Harriman talks extensively about Loe.

Harriman knows more about Loe than anybody else in St. Louis.

He needs muscle and seasoning and conditioning but he will be a very difficult guy for Loe to match up with every day and Loe, with his mobility and outside shooting ability will be able to put pressure on Willie as well. It is a wonderful thing to have two bigs with such talent and upside potential.

Agree 100%

If you watched Willie play against the VCU big Sanders who supposedly may be a first round pick in the NBA draft then you could see that playing against Willie is playing against someone with NBA athleticism.

I did watch the games against VCU. In the first game Sanders played 30 minutes and scored 20 points, with 12 rebounds and 4 blocks. The second game Sanders never got into his game because of foul trouble. He played 9 minutes the first half and 10 the second. He was held 3 points which was very impressive for the Billikens but he never got into his flow, which happens to every player at some point. I am not at all saying that Willie is a bad player or that I do not like him on our team, but playing against Willie at this point in his career is not like playing against an NBA caliber player.

Agree 100%

I did watch the games against VCU. In the first game Sanders played 30 minutes and scored 20 points, with 12 rebounds and 4 blocks. The second game Sanders never got into his game because of foul trouble. He played 9 minutes the first half and 10 the second. He was held 3 points which was very impressive for the Billikens but he never got into his flow, which happens to every player at some point. I am not at all saying that Willie is a bad player or that I do not like him on our team, but playing against Willie at this point in his career is not like playing against an NBA caliber player.

I have been telling folks that with our new recruits and everyone else returning, our practices are going to be tougher than many of our games! I think the competition for playing time is just going to make everyone better.

Agree 100%

Believe at one point WR was listed #19 on some NBA draft lists. Now, I agree I don't think he's there yet either, but RL's not faced his kind of athleticism day in and day out during his time in NZ. I'd wager that's why he didn't get much court time in the Summit game. The Int coach knew he wasn't ready to handle the likes of Sullinger and some of the other quick US bigs. WR will school him in practice and by his soph year he should be almost there.

Believe at one point WR was listed #19 on some NBA draft lists. Now, I agree I don't think he's there yet either, but RL's not faced his kind of athleticism day in and day out during his time in NZ. I'd wager that's why he didn't get much court time in the Summit game. The Int coach knew he wasn't ready to handle the likes of Sullinger and some of the other quick US bigs. WR will school him in practice and by his soph year he should be almost there.

I am waiting to have an open practise to see RL, DE, and MM:

I sure hope DE can start and MM and RL get a lot of minutes first year.

After the demise of BT you just hope that RL has closer to the toughness and work ethic of BC but more talent like WR or CE.

If I had a projection it would be RL is a better CE down the road and we will get our true center in a couple of years as in a new recruit not

not class of 2010 pr even 2011 necessarily

you have to love the balance and depth RM is bringing us.

Believe at one point WR was listed #19 on some NBA draft lists.

Was this billikenfan05's NBA draft list, by any chance?????? But seriously, Willie has a lot of talent and a huge upside, but like you said he just isn't there yet. I think Loe will help all our bigs improve, and they will help him improve. It's been awhile since I've been this excited about the upcoming season and beyond.

Was this billikenfan05's NBA draft list, by any chance?????? But seriously, Willie has a lot of talent and a huge upside, but like you said he just isn't there yet. I think Loe will help all our bigs improve, and they will help him improve. It's been awhile since I've been this excited about the upcoming season and beyond.

Harsh broski!

This matchup will be extremely interesting in practice. RL will force willie to work on his footwork, quickness and ability to defend the midrange jumper while Willie will force RL to work on his post defense, post moves, and especially getting off his shot with an athletic big in his face which is something it sounds like he has rarely had to deal with. Two completely contrasting styles of basketball.

I am waiting to have an open practise to see RL, DE, and MM:

I sure hope DE can start and MM and RL get a lot of minutes first year.

After the demise of BT you just hope that RL has closer to the toughness and work ethic of BC but more talent like WR or CE.

If I had a projection it would be RL is a better CE down the road and we will get our true center in a couple of years as in a new recruit not

not class of 2010 pr even 2011 necessarily

you have to love the balance and depth RM is bringing us.

To me, the most interesting part of RM's comments about RL and his NLI was that RL is a 4. Maybe due to editing.... but RM did NOT say he was a 5 or that he was a 4/5 combo. If so, then what is CE? Both 4's?? With the addition of RL, does that mean that RM will now try to develop RL into a 3?? From what I've read and observed, I think so.

Also, to me, the odd man out (among the bigs) appears to be Jon Smith. JS had a mid-season stretch of 5 to 6 games where he played and played well. Before and after that, he mostly sat the bench. Frankly, I missed the home games during this stretch and had to listen to the radio (could not watch on TV) the other games and therefore did not really watch him play. When he did play, didn't he play more like a 4 than a 3??? Anyone else get the feeling that JS will redshirt?

To me, the most interesting part of RM's comments about RL and his NLI was that RL is a 4. Maybe due to editing.... but RM did NOT say he was a 5 or that he was a 4/5 combo. If so, then what is CE? Both 4's?? With the addition of RL, does that mean that RM will now try to develop RL into a 3?? From what I've read and observed, I think so.

Also, to me, the odd man out (among the bigs) appears to be Jon Smith. JS had a mid-season stretch of 5 to 6 games where he played and played well. Before and after that, he mostly sat the bench. Frankly, I missed the home games during this stretch and had to listen to the radio (could not watch on TV) the other games and therefore did not really watch him play. When he did play, didn't he play more like a 4 than a 3??? Anyone else get the feeling that JS will redshirt?

I was going to make a similar point about Loe's being a forward, not a center. Will Loe and Reed necessarily match up against each other in off-season practices? It might be Loe/Ellis or Loe/Conklin. Without the coaches dictating, the players have more leeway to do what they want. But I believe it would be best for the team if Reed and Loe guarded each other in the off-season.

Clock, Smith tended to guard the three on defense and play the four on offense — vice versa for Ellis.

I was going to make a similar point about Loe's being a forward, not a center. Will Loe and Reed necessarily match up against each other in off-season practices? It might be Loe/Ellis or Loe/Conklin. Without the coaches dictating, the players have more leeway to do what they want. But I believe it would be best for the team if Reed and Loe guarded each other in the off-season.

Clock, Smith tended to guard the three on defense and play the four on offense — vice versa for Ellis.

I wouldnt look too muchinto this loe as a PF thing. He will play the 4 and 5 spots I bet. Loe is a big and that is really all that is important.

It is ridiculous to talk about him playing the 3 though.

majerus has said that cody's professional career, if he has one, will have to be as a 3. He will be working on becoming a 3.