Let's all take a deep breath!!!!!!!

Wow! the number of semi idiotic posts after such a good season is amazing--I offer a few take a deep breath suggestion:

1. This turned out to be a really nice year with such a young team and so many injuries-- it was one of the most remarkable seasons in my memory.

2. The soap opera of CE and the clearinghouse ultimately hurt us a lot imo because Ellis would have been involved in our conditioning program from the beginning and would have been a more significant factor early in the season. Yet, it was really nice to get him and with some conditioning and weight lifting he will be much improved next year.

3. The various injuries really hurt us in terms of our abililty to rest our key players on the perimeter. KM, KC and CS deserve a gold star for their incredible efforts under very difficult circumstances. For those of you who do not seem to have a clue, it takes a huge effort for these three guys to chase talented and athletic players all over the court for 35 minutes a game, often in circumstances where the other team goes two deep at each position with athletic guards. Kyle killed himself chasing big time scorers the whole season, particularly the last 15 games, and last night he was obviously injured and hurt himself during the game yet he played his heart out as did KM. Sure Kyle and others made some mistakes but it is absoultely ridiculous not to recognize their effort and grit and determination. With Femi, Reid, JJ and Paul all injured and unable to play it was wonderful to watch these guys give it their all. My hat is off to each of them.

4. How about Willie? I have seen projections that the center on VCU will go in the top 20 of the NBA draft. If Willie keeps his great atitude and works hard in the weight room and on the court he can definitely be better than Sanders by the time he graduates. When he and Cory R were in the game together it was very difficult for the other team to keep them both off the boards. Cory really improved over the season and it looks like he could be a solid 4 man against some teams with a big power forward. He will also be a very excellent backup center to Willie or Loe. Conklin and Jon Smith will need to really work on their games to improve to keep up with the other bigs this summer.

5. Our hero walk on!!!!!! He got his name on his shirt and he played the game of his life! How about the crowd giving him a standing ovation when he made the driving layup and got fouled and made the free throw. If we could have held on and won the game he would have been our Rudy for sure. And he went 3 for 3 from the line as well!! Roy is right in saying that the play of the game was his catch of the wild pass on the break and effort to save the ball and move it down for an ultimate score. I thought for sure it was going to be a turnover but he made a great save.

6. For those who were there--thanks--the crowd was really great! Excellent student turnout and very nice crowd for a Wed night when the weather was 75 degrees and spectacular outside. And it seemed like for the CBI games, our crowds were loud and very enthusiastic even when they were not huge. Last night when we went on the opening 9-0 run the crowd was LOUD!!!

7. The word is out about our Billikens. I have spoken to many casual fans who are really interested in seeing this team next year. I think we will have a real "buzz" next season. I can't wait for practice to start!!!!!! Go Bills

I don't think anybody could be happier for Darrin Young. If there were scholarships available, I'd say give him one..sadly, that won't be the case. Not so sadly, the reason is we're bringing in better talent.

Congrats Darrin....you deserve your moment.

Great post billikan!

A couple of other notes:

1. JS showed me some range with a nice jumper in his limited time. He also popped a nice jumper in one of the few appearances he made late in the season. If he can hit this mid-range jumper and handle the ball better, he will have a great little offensive game with his athleticism.

2. Willie hit a nice short jumper on a break last night. I hope we see more of that. This will make him so much more dynamic. Willie, watch a prime Kevin Garnett and try to become that guy!

3. Others mentioned it, but a series with VCU would be nice. Teams like this are who we should be trying to play on a regular basis. They are not RPI killers, provide a different look (press) and make for fun games.

I like how Texas A&M has the 12th Man Tradition where a walk-on plays (often on special teams and wears #12), but it signifies the bond between student and athlete at A&M. I would love to see that kind of tradition at SLU, where the student body rallies behind a kid like Darren Young, a guy who practices his ass off to make the team better. I bet it was a thrill for Young and his parents. I know I'd have tears in my eye if my son or daughter was rewarded for being a team player.

4. How about Willie? I have seen projections that the center on VCU will go in the top 20 of the NBA draft. If Willie keeps his great atitude and works hard in the weight room and on the court he can definitely be better than Sanders by the time he graduates. When he and Cory R were in the game together it was very difficult for the other team to keep them both off the boards. Cory really improved over the season and it looks like he could be a solid 4 man against some teams with a big power forward. He will also be a very excellent backup center to Willie or Loe. Conklin and Jon Smith will need to really work on their games to improve to keep up with the other bigs this summer.

Willie, Cory, Cody, Jon all need to hit the weights hard this off season. Willie and Cory with added strength inside would be great to see next season.

Agreed. This season was great. We were supposed to finish 12th in th A 10 and i specifically RM bluntly saying before the season started that the year was gonna be rough. Hell we almost made the tourney!!! Im predicting top 25 status at some point next year. Down the strech we couldnt rebound at all. Loe will provide that hopefully. i really hope that the hype about him is all true. from the sounds of things he sounds to me just like a taller CE. Ive heard he has handles and can rain the three. I hope he is just strong enough to handle himself in the post as well. anyone know anyting about his post game?

Guest BillikenReport

Darrin Young gave me goosebumps last night! One of the coolest moments of my Billiken cheering career....

Amazing to see him do that. By all accounts he is a great kid.

You could tell the first few times that Darrin played he was nervous and looked afraid to make a mistake.

Last night he looked confident and ready for the moment and made the most of it.

It also had to be disappointing for him a week earlier when Majerus talked about having to play him in the Princeton game and then Darrin didn't get in that night.

Good for him. An amazing moment for a kid who will remember that forever. And it was nice to see his teammates' reactions when he made that three-point play. You could tell they genuinely care about him and were so happy for him.

Amazing to see him do that. By all accounts he is a great kid.

You could tell the first few times that Darrin played he was nervous and looked afraid to make a mistake.

Last night he looked confident and ready for the moment and made the most of it.

It also had to be disappointing for him a week earlier when Majerus talked about having to play him in the Princeton game and then Darrin didn't get in that night.

Good for him. An amazing moment for a kid who will remember that forever. And it was nice to see his teammates' reactions when he made that three-point play. You could tell they genuinely care about him and were so happy for him.

Nate, that is an excellent point and a thing I have noticed all season, including right away when Cody arrived--this team likes and supports each other. That does not mean they like to sit on the bench but they cheer their teammates and are pumped up when they make a good play. It would be fun to be part of this team!

Great post billikan!

A couple of other notes:

1. JS showed me some range with a nice jumper in his limited time. He also popped a nice jumper in one of the few appearances he made late in the season. If he can hit this mid-range jumper and handle the ball better, he will have a great little offensive game with his athleticism.

2. Willie hit a nice short jumper on a break last night. I hope we see more of that. This will make him so much more dynamic. Willie, watch a prime Kevin Garnett and try to become that guy!

3. Others mentioned it, but a series with VCU would be nice. Teams like this are who we should be trying to play on a regular basis. They are not RPI killers, provide a different look (press) and make for fun games.

I've yet to see JS shoot a jumper. When he squares up he shoots a set shot. He can do a jump hook close to the basket, but I've yet to see what looks like a classic jump shot where he actually jumps. Thats the number one thing he needs to develope. Seems like he ought to be able to, he has all the tools.

Dear NCAA;

We all know you are going to change to a 96 team format for the NCAA tourney, in your eyes making a few extra bucks is better than having the best tourney in sports.

But can you please hold off on this terrible idea. The Bills have a great chance of making the 65 team field and I dont want their accomplishment deminished by you idiots trying to fix something that isnt broken. The Bills deserve to make the 65 NCAA tournament field next year not some stupid "everyone gets a ribbon for participating" trophy.

Please let the Bills earn their trip to the tournament. You can change it to the all inclusive tourney the following year.

Thanks for your time and consideration

Dlarry

If there were scholarships available, I'd say give him one..

Thank goodness you are not in charge.

I do appreciate his hard work and dedication. Hated to see him not get mins vs Princeton after Coach was quoted that he would. I've got to assume his work ethic in practice keeps the schollie guys from taking plays off.

Thank goodness you are not in charge.

I do appreciate his hard work and dedication. Hated to see him not get mins vs Princeton after Coach was quoted that he would. I've got to assume his work ethic in practice keeps the schollie guys from taking plays off.

I don't think RM will end up at Lindenwood for giving scholarships away like water.

Dear NCAA;

We all know you are going to change to a 96 team format for the NCAA tourney, in your eyes making a few extra bucks is better than having the best tourney in sports.

But can you please hold off on this terrible idea. The Bills have a great chance of making the 65 team field and I dont want their accomplishment deminished by you idiots trying to fix something that isnt broken. The Bills deserve to make the 65 NCAA tournament field next year not some stupid "everyone gets a ribbon for participating" trophy.

Please let the Bills earn their trip to the tournament. You can change it to the all inclusive tourney the following year.

Dlarry

great post

I've yet to see JS shoot a jumper. When he squares up he shoots a set shot. He can do a jump hook close to the basket, but I've yet to see what looks like a classic jump shot where he actually jumps. Thats the number one thing he needs to develope. Seems like he ought to be able to, he has all the tools.

He doesn't need to jump he just needs to make it, which he has done on his last two attempts.

Dear NCAA;

Dlarry

First great post Billikan. Am sure you're wearing a big smile these days. The NCAA's going 96 but from what I hear it may not happen for a couple of years. I'd agree, dlarry, I'd like to see them make it into the 64 next year. That said there will be 32 automatics so even if they go to 96 in '11, we'd still have something to shoot for... a bye in the first round... and make a statement at the same time, ie we'd have made it if you 'd reduced the size of the field.

He doesn't need to jump he just needs to make it, which he has done on his last two attempts.

He needs to jump to make it a threat so his man has to come out and guard him. The guy can elevate and with those long arms ought to be able to get off a true jump shot against most defenders. That threat would open up the middle for a pass to Willie or to use his quickness to go by his man and take it to the hole. He has big time potential. He just needs to work on his skills. Strength would help, but the skills are far more important.

He needs to jump to make it a threat so his man has to come out and guard him. The guy can elevate and with those long arms ought to be able to get off a true jump shot against most defenders. That threat would open up the middle for a pass to Willie or to use his quickness to go by his man and take it to the hole. He has big time potential. He just needs to work on his skills. Strength would help, but the skills are far more important.

How many guys on the team shoot a true jump shot? Maybe Cody, Kwamain and Femi, that's it. He is tall enough to get hiss shot off, he just needs to make it.