anyone else...

St. Mary's is being shipped all the way across the country to Buffalo, NY. I've seen St. Mary's in person twice, I saw SLU beat Richmond on TV, as well as a bit of Richmond v. Xavier in the A-10 Tournament, and I don't see SMC beating Richmond at that East Coast venue. If Omar Samhan is awake (remember the 3 hour time difference), he might be able to have his way inside with the Spiders. But I don't see the Gaels winning.

Ditto for Cal- talk about a complete lack of respect. I know the Pac-10 had a bad year, but Cal itself had a very good year, winning its first regular season conference title in 50 years, and for a change played some tough teams in the non-confernence part- Syracuse and Ohio State at MSG (when Cal's Theo Robertson was injured) and at Kansas. Cal's RPI was 19, which should have translated into a 4 or 5 seed, not an 8. And then the real killer for Cal, and traditionally this has been the dispositive factor for the Golden Bears- the NCAA is shipping Cal all the way to Jacksonville, Florida for a first round game with Louisville.

I haven't seen the start times, but SMC and Cal are hoping they aren't playing 12 noon Eastern games, which is 9:00 a.m. on the West Coast. The NCAA has done that to Cal in the past.

The KNBR Radio morning host, Gary Radnich, was really ripping the NCAA this morning for both of these NCAA shippings of these Bay Area teams to distant East Coast venues. They were pricing plane tickets, and the cheapest they were finding was $616 and $671.

If St. Mary's even has a band, which it doesn't at some games, it is a tiny ensemble that can barely be heard over the students, the Gael Force, at McKeon Pavilion.

The Gaels do have fine cheerleading and dance squads ...

Gonzaga is also being sent to Buffalo.

What is this, How the West Was Lost?

UCLA's Dan Guerrero, the Chairman of the NCAA Committee must not have had much Western pull. You never know how much he lobbied for his fellow University of California school, a big rival, given that he comes from the "Southern Branch" campus.

Meanwhile, the only hope to put some people in the seats in San Jose, only 40+ miles south of the Cal and St. Mary's campuses, is Lorenzo Romar's Washington Huskies, but I don't see UW filling all that many seats in San Jose itself.

I haven't seen the start times, but am hoping the Marquette-UW game is at night so perhaps I can make the trip to the South Bay.

Marquette and Washington will also be a tough game to pick. Our hated rivals from Conference U.S.A. versus our old ballcoach. Who you got?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marquette and Washington will also be a tough game to pick. Our hated rivals from Conference U.S.A. versus our old ballcoach. Who you got?

Toss-up, my first bracket says UW, and I have UW beating New Mexico in Round 2.

I do think Lorenzo Romar is a good coach, and UW has talent and is playing its best basketball of the season right now.

But don't go by my pick; I'm lousy at picking the winners. One time a woman in the office defeated me by basing her brackets on the teams with the most ferocious mascots.

One time a woman in the office defeated me by basing her brackets on the teams with the most ferocious mascots.

hahah sounds like a good Bud Light commercial!

I think that is one of the more intriguing first round match-ups in a while. Could be a classic.

BM, remember what I told you regarding friends and respecting boundaries. If you want to be part of the crowd, act like it.

Who do people have in the final four? I'm thinking Duke, Cuse, Kansas and West Virginia. Boring, I know.

To me Xavier is the 'Evil Empire'...their fans are so cocky and arrogant! "Flagship, *******", etc....Despite all that nonsense, I'm still rooting for the A-10. If the A-10 has a good showing, that might be on the selection committee's minds when they decide how many A-10 teams get in next year.

Washington.

They have jelled, # 1 team in Pac-10.

Marq # 5-6 team in Big East.

Big East a bit overrated.

Pac-10 somewhat underrated.

Washington.

They have jelled, # 1 team in Pac-10.

Marq # 5-6 team in Big East.

Big East a bit overrated.

Pac-10 somewhat underrated.

I was thinking of going Washington over New Mexico. Thoughts?

I wasn't impressed with UW when they played a "fired" up game against Oreg. St. and still barely won.

I think they're one and done.

Washington jelled and finished 12-2.

Beat Ore St by 12 and then 7.

You will find that in college hoops, the losing team usually does better in the second game, the "revenge game" it is called.

The "fired up" team is the one that lost the first game, and if by 12, the first game winner tends to extend a lesser effort.

Washington jelled and finished 12-2.

Beat Ore St by 12 and then 7.

You will find that in college hoops, the losing team usually does better in the second game, the "revenge game" it is called.

The "fired up" team is the one that lost the first game, and if by 12, the first game winner tends to extend a lesser effort.

Fair points. I just didn't find UW to be a very good team in a game I thought they should have owned.

Fair points. I just didn't find UW to be a very good team in a game I thought they should have owned.

Washington played a very good game in the Pac-10 final against Cal. UW beat Cal, the regular season Pac-10 Champ, 2 out of 3.

I met Coach Romar last season when he was at the St. Mary's at Santa Clara game. He seemed like a good guy.

Who knows? Anything can happen, but UW (24-9) is playing good ball down the stretch and has won 7 straight.

I have Old Dominion beating an overrated Notre Dame in the first round.

I thought long and hard about that one, but decided against. i do have UTEP over BUtler and SDSU over Tenn.\

I am having a lot of trouble with the south regional, who do people think can take down Duke?

I have Old Dominion beating an overrated Notre Dame in the first round.

I have ND. Will back it up with a little wager. I think Big E is a little over rated, certainly over hyped. Cannot stand it. But ND's new slow down style has made them a lot more effective... and their star is back after missing several games.

I thought long and hard about that one, but decided against. i do have UTEP over BUtler and SDSU over Tenn.\

I am having a lot of trouble with the south regional, who do people think can take down Duke?

Duke got very lucky in this region.

Actually the 2nd game could be their demise if Louisville gets there, they can be scary. Louisville also might "blow".

IMO if Duke gets by that game they can handle Purdue, ND, Baylor, and the extremely overrrated Villanova. Baylor would be the toughest.

Duke has a lot more muscle this yr up front... last 5-6 yrs they have been pushed around in the NCAA's when they went against beefy front lines... they are better prepared this time. K has adjusted.

They can go to Final 4 but do not have enough to go all the way, though, vs KU, Ohio St, Ky, Syracuse, or WV.