Fans . . . BRUTAL

AB34

Do I need to say more?

Of course.

Up by 9 (24-15) and no one wants to get excited. Temple goes on a 14-4 run to end the half.

Up 45-43 in the final 7 minutes and people like to stay seated. Quietly. Temple goes on a 14-6 run to win the game.

I am tired of this act. Davola and I tried our best to get people up to no avail. People were more excited about the friggin ball toss than the game.

NOTE: This rant does not apply to the students. You guys were great.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I need to say more?

Of course.

Up by 9 (24-15) and no one wants to get excited. Temple goes on a 14-4 run to end the half.

Up 45-43 in the final 7 minutes and people like to stay seated. Quietly. Temple goes on a 14-6 run to win the game.

I am tired of this act. Davola and I tried our best to get people up to no avail. People were more excited about the friggin ball toss than the game.

I completely agree. I was in the student section looking out and saw no one cheering really....We cant even get people to wave their arms when they are shooting free throws. I dont know how to get all of the other fans up and cheering.

+1 AB! Our "hardcore" fans in those center sections need to actually get hardcore when the team needs some electricity. It's embarrassing when they'll stand up for the Bud Song then immediately sit down once the game starts.

I've given up on the Billiken crowd. I'm sorry but it's a joke. The Cardinal fans make more noise than the Billiken fans and that is saying a lot. It's a disgrace, but unfortunately, nothing can be done about it. There are guys my age sitting all around me that don't do anything during the game. I'm sorry, but we don't know how to create a homecourt advantage. I've changed my tune...EVEYRONE wants to play at the FETZ!

It has been like this for how long?

I'm the only one who stands, applauds, yells, in 214 and 213 and I'm in the back row. I get dumbfounded stares when I attempt to cheer.

It has been like this for how long?

I'm the only one who stands, applauds, yells, in 214 and 213 and I'm in the back row. I get dumbfounded stares when I attempt to cheer.

You would think it would be contagious, but it's not. And it has been this way forever, you're right. Hard to fix it I guess. It's a shame because I think the crowd getting more into the game would give our youngsters the extra boost they need sometimes. Adrenaline goes a long way. Too bad most of our fans show up 10 minutes late and leave 5 minutes early to beat the traffic on 40. AB34 is right...BRUTAL.

PS - This excludes the Shoes...you guys are animals.

Davola

Do I need to say more?

Of course.

Look a-hole...I know where you sit. 108 is a joke, just like your perfomance in the game of quarters tonight at Humphrey's. The only time you made noise tonight was when you were flagging down the cotton candy guy for your 3rd helping.

Maybe the crowd was too quiet, maybe it wasn't. But, why were there only 7.900 fans at a game against a top-20 opponent? Is it because, once Cardinal Spring Training starts, all other sports become inconsequential? Are St. Louis-area fans just not that interested in college basketball? No knock against the hardcore fans, but you cannot get closer to a sellout than less than 80% of capacity?

I'm guessing it's the Cardinal factor, with the entire St. Louis media on spring break in Jupiter. Party on, boys!!

Look a-hole...I know where you sit. 108 is a joke, just like your perfomance in the game of quarters tonight at Humphrey's. The only time you made noise tonight was when you were flagging down the cotton candy guy for your 3rd helping.

I was amazed at the number of empty seats in the lower section right behind the scorer's table. Big gaps in there. Can't believe these primo seats are going unused. I guess the fans you're criticizing are the older ones who control the best seats. They do seem to be a little too relaxed.

What makes me angry is the fact that so many fans take going to the games for granted.

I am in grad school in Ohio, and would give ANYTHING to be at these games, screaming my a$$ off!!!

I am making more noise watching the game online in my apartment than most of the fans...

I was at the Dayton, Xavier, and Missouri State games, and other than the Dayton game, I was disappointed with the 'average' fan..

Having said that, I am SOO impressed with the student section! I remember being one of about thirty students at Saavis at some games, so it is nice to see the students turning out...

Also, there are a handful of fans that are awesome!

I sit like 10 rows up behind the visitors bench and there are so many old people around. If you try to stand when it's not the last shot of the half or the game you get yelled at to sit down. I guess these old people can only stand up 3 times a game: end of the first half, the ball toss, and the end of the game. Good luck getting these old heads to stand for anything else. It's very frustrating still even though this has been going on for years.

I was amazed at the number of empty seats in the lower section right behind the scorer's table. Big gaps in there. Can't believe these primo seats are going unused. I guess the fans you're criticizing are the older ones who control the best seats. They do seem to be a little too relaxed.

Most if not all of those are corporate seats for radio stations and big companies. I have gotten lucky and got to sit in them for some games. But they probably get unused quite a bit.

I was more surprised at the number of empty seats in the upper deck behind the students. Thought this would draw as well as Xavier or at least Duq (that was on a Sat night).

I sit like 10 rows up behind the visitors bench and there are so many old people around. If you try to stand when it's not the last shot of the half or the game you get yelled at to sit down. I guess these old people can only stand up 3 times a game: end of the first half, the ball toss, and the end of the game. Good luck getting these old heads to stand for anything else. It's very frustrating still even though this has been going on for years.

Keep standing up, ignore the haters.

That's one of the things I love about my seats - there's no one behind me.

St. Louis sports fans not long ago we're given the TITLE #1 sports fan in the country. Give me a break. The crowd last night was a digrace. Father Biondi builds a Palace and no one shows up for a top 20 opponent and a chance to make a statement to the NCAA committee for an at-large bid. Chaifetz should of been packed! Dick Chaifetz even stood up during the final minutes and he was the only one in "NBA SEATS" to do so. So next year St. Louis Sports fans please show up for your Billikens.

What makes me angry is the fact that so many fans take going to the games for granted.

I am in grad school in Ohio, and would give ANYTHING to be at these games, screaming my a$$ off!!!

I am making more noise watching the game online in my apartment than most of the fans...

I was at the Dayton, Xavier, and Missouri State games, and other than the Dayton game, I was disappointed with the 'average' fan..

Having said that, I am SOO impressed with the student section! I remember being one of about thirty students at Saavis at some games, so it is nice to see the students turning out...

I feel your pain. I watched at a sports bar last night in Charleston, SC. It's known as the Philly hangout for displaced yankess, so there were a lot of Temple fans there. Good fun and they didn't mind my outbursts. Can't imagine going the Chey and sitting on your hands the whole friggin' game.

I feel your pain. I watched at a sports bar last night in Charleston, SC. It's known as the Philly hangout for displaced yankess, so there were a lot of Temple fans there. Good fun and they didn't mind my outbursts. Can't imagine going the Chey and sitting on your hands the whole friggin' game.

Imagine it- because that is what happens.

St. Louis sports fans not long ago we're given the TITLE #1 sports fan in the country. Give me a break. The crowd last night was a digrace. Father Biondi builds a Palace and no one shows up for a top 20 opponent and a chance to make a statement to the NCAA committee for an at-large bid. Chaifetz should of been packed! Dick Chaifetz even stood up during the final minutes and he was the only one in "NBA SEATS" to do so. So next year St. Louis Sports fans please show up for your Billikens.

Dr. Chaifetz was standing throwing his arms in the air trying to get people up, and all he got were blank, confused stares. I felt bad for the guy. SLU fans in general just don't get into the game enough, but last night was real bad. Take note: I'm not blaming this loss on the fans by any means...SLU was atrocious in the second half and for that matter, the last 10 minutes of the first half. But the atmosphere didn't help the team one bit, that's for sure.

Let's not go too hard on the fans here. Teams, and fans, can be 'off' some nights. In fairness to the fans at the Temple game, it's tough to get electric about a team that makes 1 out of 12 three point attempts in the second half.

Fans should never have an off night. Look at established basketball programs (Duke, KU, Wisconsin, Marquette, Gonzaga, Xavier, just to name a few) their fans are always up and ready for their teams. There is no excuse for fans being down. I understand it's a Wednesday night game and people have to work today but the guys on the floor are selling their souls for us. And a large majority of us have trouble getting out of our seats to cheer on their hard work, except for the ball toss, of course. C'mon people take some responsibility and truly support your Billikens.

It is years like this, and hopefully the years to come in which the students come out, have fun we win more and those students become season ticket holders. As a season ticket holder, there is a game during the year when you suddenly realize the money you purchased the tickets with was just an investment for maintaining your seat selection. In the Romar and Soderberg years that game was in November (loss to EKU), December or at best the begining of January (Losses to Bonnies)....Last night in our last home game perhaps we reached it, but who knows we have a much more realistic chance to play in post season this year. Unfortunately from a students perspective those years of Romar and Soderberg did not build a winning tradition, sure there are games here and there that were exciting but the students were not there day in and day out.....The student were there in the hundreds at the last five games, if that keeps up that will build tradition and a great vocal and active season ticket base.............

It is years like this, and hopefully the years to come in which the students come out, have fun we win more and those students become season ticket holders. As a season ticket holder, there is a game during the year when you suddenly realize the money you purchased the tickets with was just an investment for maintaining your seat selection. In the Romar and Soderberg years that game was in November (loss to EKU), December or at best the begining of January (Losses to Bonnies)....Last night in our last home game perhaps we reached it, but who knows we have a much more realistic chance to play in post season this year. Unfortunately from a students perspective those years of Romar and Soderberg did not build a winning tradition, sure there are games here and there that were exciting but the students were not there day in and day out.....The student were there in the hundreds at the last five games, if that keeps up that will build tradition and a great vocal and active season ticket base.............

That's a great way of putting it. I look back at the entire Soderberg era as "maintenance."

They cost $3k a pop. Are you really surprised that not many people are willing to pay $200 per game, per seat? That's actually outrageous.

They cost $3k a pop. Are you really surprised that not many people are willing to pay $200 per game, per seat? That's actually outrageous.

They overshot their estimate on how many would be taken, eventually, they will have to slide to the next category to get them

sol unless we start going to the NCAA every year.

It will be interesting how they handle this?

Do I need to say more?

Of course.

Yawn.... Typical post criticizing the loyal fans. Nice to see a level of frustration in Billiken land instead of the usual silence and apathy.

Few points:

1. The quiet fans did not shoot poorly from the 3 point and free throw lane. Nor did the fans get outworked and pushed underneath the basket. The fans did not make turnovers at key points of the game.

2. As a Board, we have much discussed which comes first, a true marketing campaign to build interest or winning basketball. 7,900 for a Wednesday night game was not impressive but it wasn't terrible either. The crowd did stand for the last 2 minutes - until WR missed both FTs again with 30 seconds left. Was the crowd awesome? No. Was it terrible? No. Did the students get into the game more than the fans? Yes, as they should, and truely for the first time in my 30 years following the Bills. About time.

3. Also about time for a stupid post from an uneducated "fan" saying the students should sit a mid-court like they do at Duke. For those who don't understand, the reason there are old people sitting mid-court is because they pay $950 per seat ($400 Billiken fee and $450 season ticket price). Down even lower to the court, the annual fee is $2500 and $3500. Also, these old guys got first crack at paying these prices because of their points they accumulated due to their years and years of support and financial donations to the program. Call them old, say they are too quiet, but they are the ones who have paid the tab for Billiken basketball these past 40 years and still are paying the tab.

4. Correct me if I am wrong, but why are there not more "young" people attending the games and making donations to the program? Just so we are clear, our attendance these past 20 years is really quite good. When you factor in that our Bills have had little success and that our school is a mid-size one with 11,000 students as compared to 70,000+ at Ohio State.

5. Just a little perspective, but IMO, Temple was the better team. They hit big shots when they needed them. They were stronger under the boards. They hit their FTs when they needed to.

Just for the record, I'm 41 years old guy who sits in one of the corners.