Scheduling

Coach said repeatedly when he was on with Frank this week that SLU would play anyone and that it is becoming hard to fill the non-con schedule with high profile opponents. Specifically said KU would not consider playing SLU. Assuming we cont to play SEMO, MoState, and SIUC what else can we do? Would be nice to see these kids make their mark in the non-con vs. some big time teams in the next few years.

I'll talk to Bill. No way they'd play us at Chaifetz though.

Any one have a guess on how soon it will be before we play BC. Beating them sure set our season tone and had to make UMass think about how hard it

was going to be to get by us.

Huh?

We didn't play BC this year.

My bad; I running the RM era together; next time I will have to look. I would sure like to see us add some North, West, East, South teams to non

conference I really can't get it up for SEMO and MOstate even if Coach Martin keeps recruiting well. I would rather have Creighton, Bradley, DePaul,

Marquette, Valpo, Bowling Green, here, Butler, Wouldn't mimd a Texas, Oklahoma, or Louisianna team

I can't guarantee this, but with the team doing better and showing the potential to be really good in the next couple of years, we might see more teams willing to schedule us in non conference games. The negative factor we had going against us was that we are a strong team at home, which makes us a potential loss for a team striving for the tournament. While we could provide a good team with a loss at Chaifetz, our RPI wasn't very good in the past, so a loss to us would have been considered a bad loss for a potential tournament team. If we look like we could be a Top 50 RPI team, then maybe better teams might be willing to schedule us for home and homes in the next couple of years.

SLU needs to continue to schedule at least 4 or 5 Big-Six conference teams. There are local teams they could play

Arkansas

Iowa

Iowa St

Vanderbilt

Indiana

Northwestern

This is definately the way to go about the scheduling. One thing that kills your RPI is playing terrible teams. It's better to lose to a decent team then too beat an awful team. Therefore, we have to stick to major-conference opponents. I know RM explained why we played Rockhurst during the middle of our season, but that is inexcusable.

This is definately the way to go about the scheduling. One thing that kills your RPI is playing terrible teams. It's better to lose to a decent team then too beat an awful team. Therefore, we have to stick to major-conference opponents. I know RM explained why we played Rockhurst during the middle of our season, but that is inexcusable.

actually, that didnt hurt our rpi at all since it was a non D1 opponent. I bet the schedule will be stronger next year.

actually, that didnt hurt our rpi at all since it was a non D1 opponent. I bet the schedule will be stronger next year.

Did I specifically say the game against Rockhurst hurt our RPI? No I most certainly did not. But playing Rockhurst during the middle of the season is a joke. Would you agree?

Actually, playing a D-2 team like Rockhurst once is probably better than playing a D-1 team with an RPI of 250 or 300+. The NCAA doesn't count games against D-2 teams, so a game against a D-2 basically just doesn't exist in the eyes of the selection committee, whereas playing Mississippi Valley State, Kennesaw State (both games that we had to play as part of the Chicago tournament, and Fordham does hurt our RPI after playing them.

Did I specifically say the game against Rockhurst hurt our RPI? No I most certainly did not. But playing Rockhurst during the middle of the season is a joke. Would you agree?

yeah, I would. But out of all the games that one actually wasnt too brutal because it didnt hurt our rpi. We didnt schedule like a ncaa team last year, but Im sure we will next year.

Actually, playing a D-2 team like Rockhurst once is probably better than playing a D-1 team with an RPI of 250 or 300+. The NCAA doesn't count games against D-2 teams, so a game against a D-2 basically just doesn't exist in the eyes of the selection committee, whereas playing Mississippi Valley State, Kennesaw State (both games that we had to play as part of the Chicago tournament, and Fordham does hurt our RPI after playing them.

Let me repeat myself, playing a non-NCAA team during our non-conference schedule is a laughing stock. There are almost 350 D-1 teams, assuming we didn't want to play the worst half, we still have a plethora of teams to schedule. There is no benefit to playing that game. Hopefully RM will fill the schedule with a few quality opponents next year.

yeah, I would. But out of all the games that one actually wasnt too brutal because it didnt hurt our rpi. We didnt schedule like a ncaa team last year, but Im sure we will next year.

Scheduling Rockhurst would be fine for the Billikens under Soderberg. But we are no longer happy with NIT berths.

Scheduling Rockhurst would be fine for the Billikens under Soderberg. But we are no longer happy with NIT berths.

Did we just skip over being happy with nit berths? I would be ok with a NIT berth this year. OBviously, NCAA is the preference but I would take NIT as well.

Let me repeat myself, playing a non-NCAA team during our non-conference schedule is a laughing stock. There are almost 350 D-1 teams, assuming we didn't want to play the worst half, we still have a plethora of teams to schedule. There is no benefit to playing that game. Hopefully RM will fill the schedule with a few quality opponents next year.

Technically, Rockhurst is an NCAA team, but they are NCAA Division-II. I still know what you meant. Anyways as others have said playing them doesn't really hurt us at all. I am probably biased because I went to Rockhurst, so I had a little more excitement about the game, but I'm okay with that game. As Rick said it was designed to give the team a little break around finals while still having a game to stay sharp. Its better than having the team not play anyone around finals and then coming out flat for a game after an extended break (see the infamous GW game a few years back).

Scheduling Rockhurst a favor from Father Biondi to the Father running Rockhurst.

Father Curran is the president of Rockhurst. Not sure how he and Biondi are buddies. Curran is actually not a Jesuit. Can't remember what order he belongs to after his name its like OFS or something like that.

Gee === what's going to be our plight from here on out? I've said it before, look at Dayton. No one comes to Dayton to play. In the last few years, only Pitt came to town and left with a huge loss. Kentucky? Had to play them in Cincy at Fifth Third arena. Louisville? One there and the home rematch at Fifth Third. Purdue? A neutral Conseco Fieldhouse game in Indianapolis. Not a Purdue home game? Yeah, right.

So you guys with the tickets --- don"t get your hopes too, too high. Illinois at Savvis might be a home game for the Illini. Us playing Mizzou at the old Checkerdome always seemed to be.

We're all high and giddy on the winning right now. I guarantee next year folks will be saying no to Georgia coming in and demand Tennessee or Florida. I would expect that in a one-for-one, they'd want us to come there first. We'll see. Don't get your hopes up too, too high. I doubt old buds Marquette or DePaul would do us any favors either.