rickma's best game

billiken_roy

imo, last night was rickma's best job of coaching since becoming our coach. first we basically beat mi$$ouri. same style of play, same players. all the crazy shots with no regard for shot clocks or team positioning, defense is all hustle with a lot of biting, pulling scratching, grabbing thrown in. basic chinese fire drill.

rickma adjusted. started pushing back in the second half. subbed more frequently to counter the wearisome effect of the frantic nature of the game. adjust the offense where instead of looking for threes went to the basket. really matched up to the players on the floor.

i think he worked the refs beautifully. the whole, "i'll forfeit, i mean it" was nothing more than a suck up to the refs. and imo paid off big. especially considering barron was fighting the refs the entire night and was just destroying himself in the refs eyes.

that was an extremely talented team we beat last night. the level of athleticism and the depth of that roster was amazing. mitchell was no athletic match for the mejia kid that came in and same with kyle vs the cochran kid. but the level of help defense played and the changing looks they continued to give rhody more than neutralized the rhody athleticism.

i tell you what. after tonite, i think we can run the table. i have been sitting back thinking, well once we come up against the good athletes this smoke and mirrors is going to be tough to succeed. well i am betting that right now coach mack and his band of puffing musketeers are walking around with the front of their pants wet with fear for wednesday. i cant wait. bring on the pink boys of cincy.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

imo, last night was rickma's best job of coaching since becoming our coach. first we basically beat mi$$ouri. same style of play, same players. all the crazy shots with no regard for shot clocks or team positioning, defense is all hustle with a lot of biting, pulling scratching, grabbing thrown in. basic chinese fire drill.

rickma adjusted. started pushing back in the second half. subbed more frequently to counter the wearisome effect of the frantic nature of the game. adjust the offense where instead of looking for threes went to the basket. really matched up to the players on the floor.

i think he worked the refs beautifully. the whole, "i'll forfeit, i mean it" was nothing more than a suck up to the refs. and imo paid off big. especially considering barron was fighting the refs the entire night and was just destroying himself in the refs eyes.

that was an extremely talented team we beat last night. the level of athleticism and the depth of that roster was amazing. mitchell was no athletic match for the mejia kid that came in and same with kyle vs the cochran kid. but the level of help defense played and the changing looks they continued to give rhody more than neutralized the rhody athleticism.

i tell you what. after tonite, i think we can run the table. i have been sitting back thinking, well once we come up against the good athletes this smoke and mirrors is going to be tough to succeed. well i am betting that right now coach mack and his band of puffing musketeers are walking around with the front of their pants wet with fear for wednesday. i cant wait. bring on the pink boys of cincy.

I don't know if Rick should get credit or Barron should take the blame, but we got them to slow down and play to our pace in the second half. I also give JJ credit for his defense on Richmond. Richmond could not take it to the hole, so Rick put JJ on him and told him to stay out. Our adjustments were very good.

The best part about rickma's coaching last night was when there was a TO with 1.2 seconds and we were up 3 possessions and he used the ENTIRE timeout to teach while the Rhody kids stood on the court waiting.

my guess that had about as much to do with rickma silently telling baron that was a b.s. timeout to even call.

I don't know if Rick should get credit or Barron should take the blame, but we got them to slow down and play to our pace in the second half. I also give JJ credit for his defense on Richmond. Richmond could not take it to the hole, so Rick put JJ on him and told him to stay out. Our adjustments were very good.

for the record, willie almost did the board a huge service last night doing a u turn from his parking spot and nearly running me over. :lol:

i dont think barron slowed down the pace on his account. he was screaming for the kids to push the ball and to keep the pressure up on defense. we forced the pace.

Guessing you haven't watched mizzou play, but I suppose that's just to be understood.

Cheesy,

I have seen a few Mizzou games this season and I think the comparison is fair. URI and Mizzou play a very similar style, espcially on the defensive end. Basically, I don't think it should be taken as a negative, as I think both teams are very good and tough to beat. I was actually more worried about this game than Xavier and Temple.

for the record, willie almost did the board a huge service last night doing a u turn from his parking spot and nearly running me over. :lol:

-willie i put a stop order on my check, you don't get paid until the job is done, better luck next time :P

-this is a joke

Guessing you haven't watched mizzou play, but I suppose that's just to be understood.

oh i am sorry, i would think you would have been thankful i just compared your tigers to a team that was ranked in the low 20's rpi coming into the game. my mistake. you are right, the tigers are not as good as rhody.

Well, she thinks I'm a huge dork and ridiculously immature, but I've at least been able to maintain a little of my sanity in her eyes.

box, news flash, they only increase the dork and immature level label more as we get older and continue to have fun. i have grown to take it as a compliment and confirmation that i do still have fun.

oh i am sorry, i would think you would have been thankful i just compared your tigers to a team that was ranked in the low 20's rpi coming into the game. my mistake. you are right, the tigers are not as good as rhody.

It's not about comparing them to rhode island, it's about your comments on the offense- they sound a lot like the talking heads on ESPN's thoughts about it, but the characterization of the offense as being as wild and crazy as the defense isn't correct. Mizzou actually runs a fairly "heady" offense which is centered on ball movement and open looks and easy buckets- not "jacking up shots without regard for the clock."

And Rhode Island is not one of the top 20-30 teams in the country.

It's not about comparing them to rhode island, it's about your comments on the offense- they sound a lot like the talking heads on ESPN's thoughts about it, but the characterization of the offense as being as wild and crazy as the defense isn't correct. Mizzou actually runs a fairly "heady" offense which is centered on ball movement and open looks and easy buckets- not "jacking up shots without regard for the clock."

And Rhode Island is not one of the top 20-30 teams in the country.

current rpi of rhode island = 24

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

as to the comparison i stand by what i said previously. hell they looked exactly like mi$$ouri. the only difference is they had better players.

but rest assured cheesy. i do think that the starters for the tigers could serve as able substitutes for rhode island and together they would be a top 10 team likely. that would be frantic game if rhody and tigers combined to enhance the depth.

current rpi of rhode island = 24

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

as to the comparison i stand by what i said previously. hell they looked exactly like mi$$ouri. the only difference is they had better players.

but rest assured cheesy. i do think that the starters for the tigers could serve as able substitutes for rhode island and together they would be a top 10 team likely. that would be frantic game if rhody and tigers combined to enhance the depth.

You also said that Arthur Johnson would be a great 9th option for the Billikens back in 2004, so your talent evaluation might be a little suspect.