Willie not starting again tonight

SLUDrew

Per Porter Moser on with Frank. Coach was quick to point out that Willie has taken this all very well and has been tremendous in practice. Said WR would probably play 25 minutes tonight. He would not elaborate on what Willie did to get benched.

Him not starting is not a big deal IMO. If he was benched again I would worry.

Per Porter Moser on with Frank. Coach was quick to point out that Willie has taken this all very well and has been tremendous in practice. Said WR would probably play 25 minutes tonight. He would not elaborate on what Willie did to get benched.

Yeah, i don't really get it. I didn't get the feeling that Willie not starting had anything to do with Saturday. Porter kept saying he feels really good about the guys coming off the bench. Maybe this is a new strategy to bring in Ellis and Willie off the bench to surprise opponents? Seems kinda weird. He also raved about Cody. Said they already added several plays for him and that having a big that can shoot really opens up so many things. Also had excellent things to say about Jon Smith...sounds like this kid is really coming around; especially on defense.

Yeah, i don't really get it. I didn't get the feeling that Willie not starting had anything to do with Saturday. Porter kept saying he feels really good about the guys coming off the bench. Maybe this is a new strategy to bring in Ellis and Willie off the bench to surprise opponents? Seems kinda weird. He also raved about Cody. Said they already added several plays for him and that having a big that can shoot really opens up so many things. Also had excellent things to say about Jon Smith...sounds like this kid is really coming around; especially on defense.

I would have pegged Jon Smith as leaving after this year...not anymore.

It depends what they mean by "coming off the bench." If it simplay means not in for the opening tip but getting his regular minutes, then you are correct, his not starting is not a big deal. However, every minute Willie is on the bench is a big deal for this team. Forget about what he brings to the table offensively, he is an intimidator on the defensive end and BY FAR the best rebounder on the team.

Just make sure willie wear argyle on the bench and we'll be fine.

I could careless if WR starts or doesnt start. Either way, the guy needs to log the majority of the minutes at center. I will lose control if another team gets 3 offensive rebounds on one possession.

Our "bigs" fought hard against Richmond but they don't alter shots, we need WR back in the paint.

However, every minute Willie is on the bench is a big deal for this team. Forget about what he brings to the table offensively, he is an intimidator on the defensive end and BY FAR the best rebounder on the team.

I agree.

I wonder if this situation stems from one of those "match-up" deals.

But, then why let THEM dictate to US? Why not make THEM worry about matching up with US? If this SLU team cannot break a press with Willie in the game stationed by the bucket, then it is simply time to give our hoop program the same status as our gridiron program. Cripes.

Of course, RM and PM know the situation WAAAAAY better than I do. Still, I would like someone to ask RM sometime about his approach to "match-ups". In the rambling diatribe that would follow, I bet we would learn something interesting.

All I want is that SLU finds themselves in the game with a chance to win it. Circle the wagons, Bills.

I would have pegged Jon Smith as leaving after this year...not anymore.

Isn't it interesting that when a player underperforms (especially in the case of a freshman looking like a freshman), we think he's going to leave the program? I've been guilty of this myself.

Agreed. This team needs Sprewell in the line up or they're not going to win over the long haul. I'm guessing if he is not starting but still playing and he has been practicing well that this is still part of his punishment. Hopefuly he and RM are on the same page now. We need him.

It depends what they mean by "coming off the bench." If it simplay means not in for the opening tip but getting his regular minutes, then you are correct, his not starting is not a big deal. However, every minute Willie is on the bench is a big deal for this team. Forget about what he brings to the table offensively, he is an intimidator on the defensive end and BY FAR the best rebounder on the team.

I agree with you except on 1 point. His defense is lacking. Yes, it is nice to see some block shots. But too many opposing post players get position against him way to low on the block. He is constantly behind his man down there unlike Cory and Brian, who fight for position better to deny the pass down low. He just does not front his man down there and loses position and it is more than just lacking physical ability. I just think he has a tendency to float on defense and then allow his opponent to get position.

He is a rebounding machine though and our offense is much better with him in the lineup.

Anyone else think this is just a RM head game? Throw off the other coach?

Seems pretty clear from Cody's performance Saturday that most Cody-related statements were just smoke and mirrors. I think Rick likes mixing it up to keep the opposition off balance. If he does play normal minutes, then the effect is just psychological.

Anyone else think this is just a RM head game? Throw off the other coach?

Seems pretty clear from Cody's performance Saturday that most Cody-related statements were just smoke and mirrors. I think Rick likes mixing it up to keep the opposition off balance. If he does play normal minutes, then the effect is just psychological.

In the south we call this playing possum.

Seems like when someone is injured, well that its for the season, then you see them suited up and playing in the next game like nothing had happened. The players heights are another example.

If it works, why not.

In the south we call this playing possum.

Seems like when someone is injured, well that its for the season, then you see them suited up and playing in the next game like nothing had happened. The players heights are another example.

If it works, why not.

Agreed on the heights as well