2010 Recruit/s

doowop

If for some reason Loe does not committ to SLU does anyone know of any other big men being recruited by the coaching staff? Based on what Courtside has commented concerning McCall and Evans we should not expect much from them next year. Is RM recruiting anyone who could have an immediate impact next year? (A BIG Man) -- Hopefully, some of our present guards and forwards will have developed enough by next year that we will not need the contributions of McCall and Evans to be a major factor. However, we need a big man who can help immediately because JS and CR may not be quite ready by next year.

If for some reason Loe does not committ to SLU does anyone know of any other big men being recruited by the coaching staff? Based on what Courtside has commented concerning McCall and Evans we should not expect much from them next year. Is RM recruiting anyone who could have an immediate impact next year? (A BIG Man) -- Hopefully, some of our present guards and forwards will have developed enough by next year that we will not need the contributions of McCall and Evans to be a major factor. However, we need a big man who can help immediately because JS and CR may not be quite ready by next year.

I think we can expect something from both mccall and evans. They may not be stars, but they are both fairly highly rated and they produce for their respective high schools, so I would hope they can both bring something.

As for other big guys, check billikenreport.com for some good info.

I think you have conflated McCall with Evans. McCall, expect something from immediately. He's a high level recruit (for SLU at least). Should be our starting SG next season. Evans, not so much ... then again he is putting up big #s this season in HS so who can say.

I think you have conflated McCall with Evans. McCall, expect something from immediately. He's a high level recruit (for SLU at least). Should be our starting SG next season. Evans, not so much ... then again he is putting up big #s this season in HS so who can say.

Courtside said McCall was not an accurate outside shooter. We need accurate outside shooters. I'm not getting them conflated, whatever that means.

Courtside said McCall was not an accurate outside shooter. We need accurate outside shooters. I'm not getting them conflated, whatever that means.

No, I didn't say that. I said McCall is likely to start at the 1 his last two years, and until then he'll play a lot. McCall will play a lot next year. He'll be roughly similar to what KM could bring to the table as a frosh. Anything more would be an unexpected bonus. He will have a KM like impact at SLU most likely. He is very quick.

Evans will need time to be an impactful player. McCall is way ahead of him at this point. Two different players, different positions, two different skill sets. Evans will see the floor, but he is not going to come in and start for SLU as a frosh or be a major impact player early at SLU imo.

Most kids that will come to SLU at this time will get experience as frosh, and progress over four years. McCall has a KM chance of progression. Evans will take longer. I saw KM play many times with Playground Warrirors, and he made his jump in summer before his Senior year. And he works hard, team player. McCall is very good. He's at that level of KM as a prospect.

I do believe some people have very unrealistic expectations for Frosh at SLU.

No, I didn't say that. I said McCall is likely to start at the 1 his last two years, and until then he'll play a lot. McCall will play a lot next year. He'll be roughly similar to what KM could bring to the table as a frosh. Anything more would be an unexpected bonus. He will have a KM like impact at SLU most likely. He is very quick.

Evans will need time to be an impactful player. McCall is way ahead of him at this point. Two different players, different positions, two different skill sets. Evans will see the floor, but he is not going to come in and start for SLU as a frosh or be a major impact player early at SLU imo.

Most kids that will come to SLU at this time will get experience as frosh, and progress over four years. McCall has a KM chance of progression. Evans will take longer. I saw KM play many times with Playground Warrirors, and he made his jump in summer before his Senior year. And he works hard, team player. McCall is very good. He's at that level of KM as a prospect.

One word: Evans

Prepare to be surprised.

Prepare to be surprised.

That's five words ;)

Do you think Dwayne Evans compares favorably to Tommie Liddell III at the same stage? Having not seen Evans play but having read that he has been more of an inside player in high school (but what about summer ball?), I think he'll not be able to make an immediate impact similar to Liddell's, because Tommie played point for East St. Louis.

Sorry I misunderstood. Thank you for clearing me on McCall.

Prepare to be surprised.

If you can remember back to the days of Monroe Douglas and Roland Gray, Monroe was the sought after recruit. Everybody looked at Roland Gray as Monroe's high school teammate who we gave a scholarship to in order to get his buddy. Roland Gray ended up with the better college career. Would love for Evans to surprise us. We need a prototypical 3.

That player would be Ellis. He'll be expected to be an impact player next year.

Guest BillikenReport

We already have Ellis. I was referring to a 2010 big man recruit.

You can find info on some of the big guys SLU is looking at for next year on the premium message board on my site.

SLU will have three solid forwards for next season — Reed, Conklin and Ellis — and will return Cory Remekun and Jon Smith as sophomores. Both Remekun and Smith should be better next year.

You can find info on some of the big guys SLU is looking at for next year on the premium message board on my site.

SLU will have three solid forwards for next season — Reed, Conklin and Ellis — and will return Cory Remekun and Jon Smith as sophomores. Both Remekun and Smith should be better next year.

Thank you Nate. I need to subscribe again.

If you can remember back to the days of Monroe Douglas and Roland Gray, Monroe was the sought after recruit. Everybody looked at Roland Gray as Monroe's high school teammate who we gave a scholarship to in order to get his buddy. Roland Gray ended up with the better college career. Would love for Evans to surprise us. We need a prototypical 3.

I'm not sure that I would say thar Roland had a better college career than Monroe. They both had very good careers. Yes Monroe was hyped as all world,and Roland was thought to be a throw in,but their overall numbers were very close. I understand your point about Evans but if McCall has a career nearly as good as Monroe I would be thrilled.

I'm not sure that I would say thar Roland had a better college career than Monroe. They both had very good careers. Yes Monroe was hyped as all world,and Roland was thought to be a throw in,but their overall numbers were very close. I understand your point about Evans but if McCall has a career nearly as good as Monroe I would be thrilled.

In terms of the hype and expectations I think Monroe did not have near the career of Roland. Gray improved every year and by his senior year he was a really fine all around player, including an excellent out shooter. Monroe was a fine player but he was not as good as Roland by the time they left SLU and Monroe was a much higher rated recruit coming in.

>>I'm not sure that I would say thar Roland had a better college career than Monroe. << Then you didn't watch the games. Monroe regressed. Roland got better each season and ended his career with better numbers in every category (I didn't check before typing that but it's my remembrance). Check out their 3 point shooting. Roland came in as an undersized PF and developed into a great 3 point shooter by his senior season.

>>I'm not sure that I would say thar Roland had a better college career than Monroe. << Then you didn't watch the games. Monroe regressed. Roland got better each season and ended his career with better numbers in every category (I didn't check before typing that but it's my remembrance). Check out their 3 point shooting. Roland came in as an undersized PF and developed into a great 3 point shooter by his senior season.

JJray, I can assure you Willie watched the games.

In my mind a career is defined as an average of all the years you play for a school, irrespective of how highly you were ranked coming in or whether you get it done your freshman year or senior year. Gray and Douglas had incredibly close career point totals (if I remember right Gray may have passed Douglas in the final game) but that is really just rounding error. The two had comparable "careers" and it would seem like a stretch to say Roland was far and away better.

And back to the original point of this post...hopefully Evans will be the player some are predicting. This team seems to have a lot of strengths but we do seem to lack a natural small forward. Sure, we could play a guard there or we could go really big and play a PF there, but if Evans is the real deal he may get a chance to fill a lot of minutes in the next couple years as it is a hole in the line-up.

I went to every one of those games for four years; Douglas had the talent and Gray had the work ethic and a body that kept getting bigger. Gray's skill

level was such that he approached being a shooting guard. Yes, Gray did have a great senior year but together they did not live up to expectations for

lack of supporting roll players-all four years. Grawer benched Douglas a lot of times in the senior year. There were individual defenders who shut Douglas down. He was hyped to be six foot two but I doubt it. He had a better jump shot than anyone on the current team. He often resorted to shake and bake street ball and Gray was more likely to take what the offense and court play gave him. They were far more exciting for Billiken fans who were

starved for success than last years' KL and TL.

Douglas and Gray were jump shooters "par excellence" They were the two players who carried the team and turned the program around so we could have the success necessary to attract Spoon from MO State once Grawer and Lee Winfield's flame went out.

I went to every one of those games for four years; Douglas had the talent and Gray had the work ethic and a body that kept getting bigger. Gray's skill

level was such that he approached being a shooting guard. Yes, Gray did have a great senior year but together they did not live up to expectations for

lack of supporting roll players-all four years. Grawer benched Douglas a lot of times in the senior year. There were individual defenders who shut Douglas down. He was hyped to be six foot two but I doubt it. He had a better jump shot than anyone on the current team. He often resorted to shake and bake street ball and Gray was more likely to take what the offense and court play gave him. They were far more exciting for Billiken fans who were

starved for success than last years' KL and TL.

Douglas and Gray were jump shooters "par excellence" They were the two players who carried the team and turned the program around so we could have the success necessary to attract Spoon from MO State once Grawer and Lee Winfield's flame went out.

Anthony Bonner carried quite a bit of that load too. He was with them for 3 of their 4 years and was the better player for at least 2 of those 3 years. Togehter they lifted the program and would have lifted it further in the administration hadn't pulled the rug from under Grawer by not letting Upchurch in school when he qualified. The administration not only cost him a top flight recruit who Grawer described as better than the onther 3 coming out of high school, but also undermined his credibility in his most fertile recruiting region, the city.

Anthony Bonner carried quite a bit of that load too. He was with them for 3 of their 4 years and was the better player for at least 2 of those 3 years. Togehter they lifted the program and would have lifted it further in the administration hadn't pulled the rug from under Grawer by not letting Upchurch in school when he qualified. The administration not only cost him a top flight recruit who Grawer described as better than the onther 3 coming out of high school, but also undermined his credibility in his most fertile recruiting region, the city.

absolutely right about Bonner I was thinking he came in their junior years; I've heard the Craig Upchurch story many times and you know he did a trial

summer school class or two and supposedly passed yet was not accepted. I have always wondered why the university would do that when they were quite active in recruiting inner city kids for both academic and athletic reasons during this time period.

absolutely right about Bonner I was thinking he came in their junior years; I've heard the Craig Upchurch story many times and you know he did a trial

summer school class or two and supposedly passed yet was not accepted. I have always wondered why the university would do that when they were quite active in recruiting inner city kids for both academic and athletic reasons during this time period.

I was close to Rich, as were a few others, and the Upchurch story tore his guts out. He was qualified to be eligible but some at SLU had issues with his college prep training so he took courses in the summer and passed them but even after that one of the administrators decided that he did not have the appropriate academic background so he said he would not allow him to enroll in school. It was an unbelievably stupid decision on all fronts and it really hurt the program. Upchurch became a fine player for Houston and we played in the NIT because we had only Bonner to play against Hill and Strong from Xavier. Upchurch would have made all the difference.

I was close to Rich, as were a few others, and the Upchurch story tore his guts out. He was qualified to be eligible but some at SLU had issues with his college prep training so he took courses in the summer and passed them but even after that one of the administrators decided that he did not have the appropriate academic background so he said he would not allow him to enroll in school. It was an unbelievably stupid decision on all fronts and it really hurt the program. Upchurch became a fine player for Houston and we played in the NIT because we had only Bonner to play against Hill and Strong from Xavier. Upchurch would have made all the difference.

That decision was also the beginning of the end for Grawer who then had to "reach" with other players who then quit on St. Rich. Sad but a true lowpoint for Billiken basketball. Rich deserved better.