Pathetic turnout

slulaw09

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful November day (according to Majerus on the post-game show, the last one of the year), unknown, mediocre opponent (turnout to be better than expected though), and a Rams game. I am surprised there were as many people there as there were. I have missed very few Billiken games over the past 18 years, but even I considered taking my family on a bike ride instead of going to the game today.

Beautiful November day (according to Majerus on the post-game show, the last one of the year), unknown, mediocre opponent (turnout to be better than expected though), and a Rams game. I am surprised there were as many people there as there were. I have missed very few Billiken games over the past 18 years, but even I considered taking my family on a bike ride instead of going to the game today.

Even though we have our own building now, I'm surprised we're scheduling games that conflict with the Blues and Rams (1 PM and 3 PM doesn't really allow people to attend both).

Even though we have our own building now, I'm surprised we're scheduling games that conflict with the Blues and Rams (1 PM and 3 PM doesn't really allow people to attend both).

Come on Footes, if we don't schedule at the same time as the Blues it'll be just like we are back at Scottrade getting second tier dates and times.

I agree that the Sunday time today sucks but every team in this "tourney" played today so it may have been forced on us. At least they had the foresight not to have the game the same time as the Rams.

Come on Footes, if we don't schedule at the same time as the Blues it'll be just like we are back at Scottrade getting second tier dates and times.

I agree that the Sunday time today sucks but every team in this "tourney" played today so it may have been forced on us. At least they had the foresight not to have the game the same time as the Rams.

Kshoe, I'll agree with you as soon as our attendance tells a different story. 7,500 against Nebraska is not a great crowd. I hadn't considered that today's date might have been dictated by the tourney organizers, but 6,500 isn't great. By and large I don't think our attendance has been better in the new building. The crowd effect has certainly been better in a smaller house, but I'm disappointed in the turnout. How many sellouts have we had...2?

As a point of comparison, Missouri drew 5,700 today. Our 6,500 is very respectable and the crowd was really into it. We ran into a pesky opponent and the crowd seemed to help the team finish strong.

I'm probably the only one on this board who doesn't care about what's going on in Columbia, so your comparison doesn't mean too much to me. I'll accept that I'm probably in the the minority on this one.

Unfortunately there isn't much enthusiasm yet, but that will change with a few more wins. I'm not sure how you can say that 6,500 is "very respectable" in a new building with a coach like RM. We didn't get to schedule this opponent, but the outcome still isn't great.

I'm probably the only one on this board who doesn't care about what's going on in Columbia, so your comparison doesn't mean too much to me. I'll accept that I'm probably in the the minority on this one.

Unfortunately there isn't much enthusiasm yet, but that will change with a few more wins. I'm not sure how you can say that 6,500 is "very respectable" in a new building with a coach like RM. We didn't get to schedule this opponent, but the outcome still isn't great.

Attendance always sucks for these games, unless you play at phog or cameron indoor.

Kshoe, I'll agree with you as soon as our attendance tells a different story. 7,500 against Nebraska is not a great crowd. I hadn't considered that today's date might have been dictated by the tourney organizers, but 6,500 isn't great. By and large I don't think our attendance has been better in the new building. The crowd effect has certainly been better in a smaller house, but I'm disappointed in the turnout. How many sellouts have we had...2?

I think there are several reasons why attendance at Chaifetz is lower than it was at ScotttradeSavvisKiel:

1. Tickets are more expensive and there are fewer cheap tickets available. At Scottrade you could buy a cheapo upper level ticket and just sit lower if you wanted.

2. Like everything else these days blame the economy. People don't have money to spend on Bills tickets.

3. Highway 40 construction. It is a pain in the butt to get to the arena for a lot of people because of the highway being closed.

4. The further we get away from when the Bills were considered a good team the more attendance will drop. Its been 15 years since the Spoon glory days of Claggs and Highmark and almost 10 since we last made the tournament. Even though the team is improving people don't really know that until they actually do something.

I realize these are mostly lame excuses, but there are factors that play into how many people are at the games. Hopefully the attendance picks up later in the year if the Bills can rack up some wins.

As a point of comparison, Missouri drew 5,700 today. Our 6,500 is very respectable and the crowd was really into it. We ran into a pesky opponent and the crowd seemed to help the team finish strong.

Mizzou is on Fall Break which explains the weak turnout in Columbia. Mizzou would have had a few thousand students if it were a usual weekend game. The SLU student section of about 50 is inexcusable.

I think there are several reasons why attendance at Chaifetz is lower than it was at ScotttradeSavvisKiel:

1. Tickets are more expensive and there are fewer cheap tickets available. At Scottrade you could buy a cheapo upper level ticket and just sit lower if you wanted.

2. Like everything else these days blame the economy. People don't have money to spend on Bills tickets.

3. Highway 40 construction. It is a pain in the butt to get to the arena for a lot of people because of the highway being closed.

4. The further we get away from when the Bills were considered a good team the more attendance will drop. Its been 15 years since the Spoon glory days of Claggs and Highmark and almost 10 since we last made the tournament. Even though the team is improving people don't really know that until they actually do something.

I realize these are mostly lame excuses, but there are factors that play into how many people are at the games. Hopefully the attendance picks up later in the year if the Bills can rack up some wins.

Prices for some ticekts are lower this year, aren't they? Also, your points 1-3 shouldn't have any impact on student attendance at least.

Hey, if we win a few more games this shouldn't be happening in the next few weeks.

Prices for some ticekts are lower this year, aren't they? Also, your points 1-3 shouldn't have any impact on student attendance at least.

Hey, if we win a few more games this shouldn't be happening in the next few weeks.

I'd say the student attendance today had more to do with the fact that it was a Sunday day game. I know there were many times in college I didn't wake up until close to 1 on Sunday and then I just lounged around watching football all day. I think night games will bring out more students and I like night games better anyways.

I agree that more wins will probably = more attendance.

There are countless other examples if you don't like that one. It's about having a little perspective. Look around college basketball. 6,500 is quite respectable for this kind of game on an NFL Sunday. Most nonconference games in November around the country don't draw very well.

There are countless other examples if you don't like that one. It's about having a little perspective. Look around college basketball. 6,500 is quite respectable for this kind of game on an NFL Sunday. Most nonconference games in November around the country don't draw very well.

Agreed...the crowds will get bigger...anyways, with the fans we have at the games, I've been 'pleased' so far. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think it is even close to what a great college basketball atmosphere should be, but I do think those that show up really care about the team and about the youngsters on the team, and I sense a lot of folks starting to get more into the games...at least more so than in the past.

You have to remember that in our attendance heydays (90's), we had some very BIG attendance getters that probably skewed our attendance average. Games like Kansas, Mizzou, Marquette and those mega attendance grabbers in the Dome. We will probably never see those averages again since we have our own smaller place and I hope we never go back to the dome. When we get get into league play and if we don't completely fall apart on the playing floor attendance should improve. If we do not sell-out or come very close for the Dayton and X games we are in trouble.

I had the opportunity of watching Ole Miss play Ark-Little Rock in Oxford, MS a week ago and they had announced attendance of 5000 for that game. Even the very small crowd laughed at that one and I estimated it was around 2000. I could count on my two hands how many in the student section. Ole Miss has a very good basketball team this year, unbelievably athletic, and just handled both Kansas State and Indiana with ease in Puerto Rico. Now the next morning in the Grove, scalpers were asking twice the face value on tickets to a sold out Ole Miss-Tennessee football game.

Footes, you changed the subject on me. You originally argued that attendance might be down because we were scheduling games at the same time as the Blues and the Rams. If you believe that, fine, but show me some numbers that back it up. Instead, you've turned this into a "our attendance in general sucks" argument which is not exactly a new concept is it?

that's not much of an excuse. true hardcore fans plan their lives around the billiken schedule. "i'd rather sleep" is pathetic.

I'm probably the only one on this board who doesn't care about what's going on in Columbia

No, you're not the only one. I'm tired of all the Mizzou talk on this board.

1 p.m. on a Sunday is a horrible time/day for a game. When I was a student, I was rarely functioning at 1 p.m on Sundays, much less awake and ready to go watch the Bills play a no-name opponent.

I would have gone to yesterday's game had it not conflicted with the Rams game.

I would challenge your contention that attendance was better at the Scott Trade - you have to compare the last years of BS and the first year of RM with what is happening now at the new arena.

You have to remember that in our attendance heydays (90's), we had some very BIG attendance getters that probably skewed our attendance average. Games like Kansas, Mizzou, Marquette and those mega attendance grabbers in the Dome. We will probably never see those averages again since we have our own smaller place and I hope we never go back to the dome. When we get get into league play and if we don't completely fall apart on the playing floor attendance should improve. If we do not sell-out or come very close for the Dayton and X games we are in trouble.

I had the opportunity of watching Ole Miss play Ark-Little Rock in Oxford, MS a week ago and they had announced attendance of 5000 for that game. Even the very small crowd laughed at that one and I estimated it was around 2000. I could count on my two hands how many in the student section. Ole Miss has a very good basketball team this year, unbelievably athletic, and just handled both Kansas State and Indiana with ease in Puerto Rico. Now the next morning in the Grove, scalpers were asking twice the face value on tickets to a sold out Ole Miss-Tennessee football game.

Saw Arkansas-Little Rock play Creighton in Omaha yesterday. 15,000+. It was Teammates day so I think quite a few tickets were handed out. Amazing what 10+ years of 20 or more victories does for the attendance.

Even during the glorious 2-year Claggett/Waldman/Highmark run they didn't draw for ###### until X-mas time (also remember they weren't playing exhibition games in October). The SIU game right before Christmas in 1993 was the watershed moment (removing the banners in the vertigo seats at the old barn). From there on out (possibly with the exception of the following home game) it was pretty much a full house every game.

The following year (at Kiel) they didn't sell out the early games, but I'm pretty sure they had over 20k for Austin Peay the week between X-mas and New Years and continued to draw 16-20k the rest of the year.

November Sunday afternoon games against unfamiliar opponents are never going to draw well.

also, it was a beautiful day outside - there will be plenty more opportunities for students to see Billiken basketball over the next 3 months. There may not be many more weekend days like yesterday weather wise...

Footes, you changed the subject on me. You originally argued that attendance might be down because we were scheduling games at the same time as the Blues and the Rams. If you believe that, fine, but show me some numbers that back it up. Instead, you've turned this into a "our attendance in general sucks" argument which is not exactly a new concept is it?

I'm not trying change the subject. I still don't think it's a great idea to schedule games at the same times as the Rams and Blues if you can avoid it. We're a pretty good sports town, but going up against games like that makes it tougher. When we have sellout crowds while playing at the same time as the Blues or Rams, let me know. I hope it happens but, again, it's a lot tougher.

that's not much of an excuse. true hardcore fans plan their lives around the billiken schedule. "i'd rather sleep" is pathetic.

Agreed. There are plenty of legit reasons to miss a game...having to study, etc. While the time isn't ideal, 1 PM shouldn't be a problem for students. I doubt too many students are also Rams ticket holders.