Mens Soccer Coach

bobiken

And, I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

I answered your question. It was a factual question. You are the one who doesn't seem to value the final regular season rankings in any way.

I guess you value preseason rankings too. As you yourself have said you judge a season after it is complete. You don't judge it based it on a snap shot. That is all regular season ratings are. Ratings at the end of the season reflect on the team's season in totality. I guess your own basis for judging a season only matters when it supports the case you are trying to make.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this gets better by the post. sorry court, i didnt mean you were doing the beatings. you are taking. maybe you've taken one too many shots to the head.

I guess you value preseason rankings too. As you yourself have said you judge a season after it is complete. You don't judge it based it on a snap shot. That is all regular season ratings are. Ratings at the end of the season reflect on the team's season in totality. I guess your own basis for judging a season only matters when it supports the case you are trying to make.

You asked when was the last time SLU was ranked in the top 10, 20 in NSCAA and I provided those NSCAA Final Reg season rankings. Had you asked for other polls I would have provided those.

You have yet to discuss the regular season once in this thread or others. I on the other hand discuss every aspect. That's the difference. You only value NCAA results annually, and to me and quite a few others, there's a lot more to it than that. And, even with that one component, more value is achieved by comparing and contrasting how SLU does in that area and other areas compared to other programs.

For someone who lives in Stl, and has every opportunity to go to a game, and doesn't, you sure do spend a lot of time in the soccer threads.

You asked when was the last time SLU was ranked in the top 10, 20 in NSCAA and I provided those NSCAA Final Reg season rankings. Had you asked for other polls I would have provided those.

You have yet to discuss the regular season once in this thread or others. I on the other hand discuss every aspect. That's the difference. You only value NCAA results annually, and to me and quite a few others, there's a lot more to it than that. And, even with that one component, more value is achieved by comparing and contrasting how SLU does in that area and other areas compared to other programs.

For someone who lives in Stl, and has every opportunity to go to a game, and doesn't, you sure do spend a lot of time in the soccer threads.

That is not what I asked for.

I won't be going to another SLU soccer game until Donnigan is gone or he makes major changes to the style of soccer we play.

I am sure you recieved a bunch of PMs from people backing your posts today.

Word.

That is not what I asked for.

I won't be going to another SLU soccer game until Donnigan is gone or he makes major changes to the style of soccer we play.

I am sure you recieved a bunch of PMs from people backing your posts today.

It's quite amusing that other than me, there is only one other person in this thread who even attends any SLU soccer games at any time. The rest didn't leave in the past because of me Brian. They enjoyed the soccer threads where people who attended some of the road, neutral site and home games discussed the game, team, season with fellow attendees as well as with people who were interested but unable to attend games for geography and other reasons.

BTW the coach's name is Donigan, not Donnigan, and he plays a similar style to Bob Warming, the same Bob Warming you have praised here before. Nobody cares if you see a game Brian, you clearly didn't under the previous coach as well or you would have known that much.

Oh, and while I'm at it, the NSCAA's post season rankings are a separate entity, and that's why previously unranked teams can go from unranked to top 10, or even the #1 and #2 teams in America one recent season.

I'm sure your next post will be to break down a game you saw or attended, or to discuss the regular season, or a combo of everything. Well, probably not.

This is my second post in the thread. I attended 2 soccer games this year so with this post have I reached my maximum soccer posts for the year? I need a ruling before I post again. I went to a SIUE game too, does that count at all? Maybe a half post?

I'm hardly an expert on soccer either.

Courtside I don't think you can argue that our teams just plain haven't won. I'm not asking for national championships every year but we should be competing for them. We play in a "mid major" soccer conference at best, maybe a low major. We should be winning our league, regular season and tourney EVERY YEAR. Our program is that much better than the programs in our conference. Sadly we haven't even been close to this level of performance.

Maybe the biggest problem with the soccer program is not coaching, style of play, recruiting, budget, but diminished expectations. I've been going to SLU soccer games since the mid 80s when I was kid. Watching the team in the last few seasons all I can say is we should be much better than this.

And, not surprisingly, I disagree. Objectivity scares some people.

Court. The only thing scary is that you, for some reason, truly believe you are objective. Your elitist soccer attitude is quite repulsive.

Please expand upon why it is wrong to compare soccer with other sports. I believe this is the point where you differ with the rest of us posting in these threads. I consider soccer to be a team sport not unlike basketball, football and baseball. Yes, there is less scoring in soccer. Yes, a single mistake can enable a "lesser" team to score a goal and then sit back in a defensive shell and run the clock out for a win. Yes, soccer is unique where a team can actually try to play for a 0-0 tie and then win in penalty kicks. In these instances, there is a difference between soccer and the other sports. At the same time, soccer is still a team sport with team scoring the most goals being declared the winner and the "better" team. Also, these other team sports often come down to a single pitch, error or out in baseball, a certain drive, catch or tack in football and a certain freethrow, foul or shot in basketball. Does the "better" team always win? Of course not. Upsets happen. If soccer teams played their opponents in a best of 7 series, then the "better" would prevail more often. I get that. Also, I believe that the rest of us are smart enough to know this and factor this in. I clearly give DD and SLU a pass their penalty kick loss in the NCAA Tourney and I know that, if not for that loss, maybe SLU would have gone on a streak and made it to the Final Four or even won the NCAA Tourney.

At the same time, where is your self-proclaimed objectivity. If SLU has lost games these past 8 years b/c of bad luck, a single bad play/pass, a mental mistake, key players missing the game due to injury, key players leaving for the professional ranks, etc., then when are you going to point out that SLU also has won it fair share of games when the other team experiences their own bad luck, a single bad play/pass, a mental mistake and/or the loss of their own key players. Why don't you mention that SLU, because of its usual strong and hardworking defensive approach, combined withe above-mentioned unique aspects of soccer, actually won or played to a draw against certain highly ranked or "better", regular season teams. Instead, you take these wins or draws (where SLU was fortunate to get such a result against a "better" team) as objective proof that SLU is better/equal to these ranked opponents and then when SLU loses to a "lesser" or lower ranked team, then we hear all about the excuses. We played better or evenly with team XYZ except for player ABC's mental lapse.

Granted. Some sports are less prone to the better team actually losing the game. Yes, upsets and losses in OT or penalty kicks are hard to take. At the same time, soccer is still a team sport based upon winning and winning occurs when your team scores more goals than your opponent. This is not a figure contest. Also, don't underestimate the pressure of big games (conference tourney and NCAA tourney) and the need to step-it-up in these big games. The good teams and coaches are mentally tougher and find a way to win.

This is my second post in the thread. I attended 2 soccer games this year so with this post have I reached my maximum soccer posts for the year? I need a ruling before I post again. I went to a SIUE game too, does that count at all? Maybe a half post?

I'm hardly an expert on soccer either.

Courtside I don't think you can argue that our teams just plain haven't won. I'm not asking for national championships every year but we should be competing for them. We play in a "mid major" soccer conference at best, maybe a low major. We should be winning our league, regular season and tourney EVERY YEAR. Our program is that much better than the programs in our conference. Sadly we haven't even been close to this level of performance.

Maybe the biggest problem with the soccer program is not coaching, style of play, recruiting, budget, but diminished expectations. I've been going to SLU soccer games since the mid 80s when I was kid. Watching the team in the last few seasons all I can say is we should be much better than this.

Lots of people have posted in soccer threads who don't get to attend or see any games, and they have done so without incident and have always been welcomed. The same goes for casual observers or novice fans. It isn't too difficult to figure out the objective and/or sincere posters in different threads from those that have other agendas. Most previous soccer thread posters have departed because threads were no longer people interested in soccer discussing SLU soccer, good, bad indifferent.

I'll take your post half-way seriously and go in order. You say SLU hasn't won and that I can't argue that. Well to be fair and objective that isn't enitrely true. One must accept your definition of winning to be post season only, and only within certain seasons, and not beyond the first couple of rounds in the NCAA in those seasons, and that the other seasons don't count too..

Next, Mid-Major conference, A10,. Well that league has produced Final Four teams in recent seasons, final 8 teams, and multple NCAA invites. Also, 14 different leagues/conferences were represented in the most recent NCAA RPI top 28 teams. Mid and low major leagues have produced National Champions in the past few years and the best team in the country by far this season not from a major conference. I disagree with your expectations that SLU should be winning its league and league tourney each year. That isn't realistic or reasonable. No other team in the country does that every season.

So, to recap your position, you believe SLU should be competing for National Titles each year, and winning the league and league tourney title each year should be a given. Got it.

I'd suggest researching the recent history of the teams in SLU's league. I'd also suggest studying the rpi of this year and past years. I'd also suggest studying the different rankings and results reg season and post season to have a general idea of the current and recent college soccer landscape.

Your girlfriend is more than welcome to sign up and post in the soccer threads. She'd fit right in too. I just hope you don't get as angry when you are with her as you do in some of your posts here. That'd be unfortunate.

angry? I've grown fond of your posts. I'm continually surprised by your lack of reading comprehension and objectivity. Normally I wouldn't find that funny, but when it comes from someone who actually believes so strongly in his own ability to be objective, it actually does become funny. Maybe one day you'll be able to look back, read your posts, and laugh as the rest of us do. The thing that makes it sad and at the same time humorous, is you actually do have knowledge, but your so caught up in your ability to discover the real scenario that no one else can see, that the painfully obvious escapes you.

It's no different than your claim that many people have emailed you to state they are leaving the soccer threads. Did they ask your permission, or were they just checking in to making sure they were being objective before leaving?

angry? I've grown fond of your posts. I'm continually surprised by your lack of reading comprehension and objectivity. Normally I wouldn't find that funny, but when it comes from someone who actually believes so strongly in his own ability to be objective, it actually does become funny. Maybe one day you'll be able to look back, read your posts, and laugh as the rest of us do. The thing that makes it sad and at the same time humorous, is you actually do have knowledge, but your so caught up in your ability to discover the real scenario that no one else can see, that the painfully obvious escapes you.

It's no different than your claim that many people have emailed you to state they are leaving the soccer threads. Did they ask your permission, or were they just checking in to making sure they were being objective before leaving?

LThe rest of us?". Lol...you mean the same handful of people? Is this the same big group of people that you said agrees with you about your soccer posts even though most of those people have never seen a game via in person, video, internet, etc...? Got it.

No Skip, people left years ago, and since and many told me they lost interest in the soccer threads and this board because of the types of things and people who enter the soccer threads and other threads as well. Perhaps you are in denial or you can't see the obvious. Not sure. But those people left and they aren't coming back.

They were tired of boorish posts about your girlfriend amd childish humor. The hilarious part to me is I haven't said one word about the coach or his position because as you of all people well know I don't during the season. Or, can't you see the obvious?

The soccer threads have now become mainly people who don't ever see games or even follow the team, come to vent negativity. There are a few exceptions of course and even have been this year. But that pales in comparison to recent or past seasons.

If I don't follow a sport, say, womens softball, and I had interest, I'd read the threads and ask questions and get information. I wouldn't go to the softball threads and either yell and scream, or name call, or troll and try to be funny repeating the same jokes for several years without new material, etc...How could I possibly form a strong opinion without any information?

What's amusing to me, is that nearly all of my posts on the subject contain constructive criticism and critique but you and the few others who don't follow the team, can't see the obvious because it didn't come in the form of a joke, or mean spiritedness, or this or that sucks.

If people are interested and sincere, those people and I do not have problems and those people know who they are. Some of them have asked me to keep posting. What's interesting is that instead of being able to decipher the genuinely interested in the soccer program posters from those just looking to have fun at others' expense, you've become thje latter.

LThe rest of us?". Lol...you mean the same handful of people? Is this the same big group of people that you said agrees with you about your soccer posts even though most of those people have never seen a game via in person, video, internet, etc...? Got it.

No Skip, people left years ago, and since and many told me they lost interest in the soccer threads and this board because of the types of things and people who enter the soccer threads and other threads as well. Perhaps you are in denial or you can't see the obvious. Not sure. But those people left and they aren't coming back.

They were tired of boorish posts about your girlfriend amd childish humor. The hilarious part to me is I haven't said one word about the coach or his position because as you of all people well know I don't during the season. Or, can't you see the obvious?

The soccer threads have now become mainly people who don't ever see games or even follow the team, come to vent negativity. There are a few exceptions of course and even have been this year. But that pales in comparison to recent or past seasons.

If I don't follow a sport, say, womens softball, and I had interest, I'd read the threads and ask questions and get information. I wouldn't go to the softball threads and either yell and scream, or name call, or troll and try to be funny repeating the same jokes for several years without new material, etc...How could I possibly form a strong opinion without any information?

What's amusing to me, is that nearly all of my posts on the subject contain constructive criticism and critique but you and the few others who don't follow the team, can't see the obvious because it didn't come in the form of a joke, or mean spiritedness, or this or that sucks.

If people are interested and sincere, those people and I do not have problems and those people know who they are. Some of them have asked me to keep posting. What's interesting is that instead of being able to decipher the genuinely interested in the soccer program posters from those just looking to have fun at others' expense, you've become thje latter.

Great post. I agree completely.

Manifesto.

Courtside. There you go again. Personal attendance at all the games is your only requirement to comment. I say bulls#$t.

I go to 1, possibly 2, games per year. I watched games on the Internet - last year's final game loss at IU. At the same time, I read about nearly every game and I don't try to comment about the play of games that I don't have personal games. For the games I do watch and have personal knowledge, I still don't post thoughts b/c I don't believe a player's performance in one game is indicative of his play throughout the year. Possibly, the guy had a bad game, played a different position due injury of another player, was defended by an All-American, etc. At the same time, after reading comments (including yours) who did watch the game, after reading the box scores/stats, and after seeing what seems to be a pattern developing, I see nothing wrong with posting generally. We obviously agree to disagree.

At the same time, casual fans of the program should be able to post.

If you don't want to respond to my post from last night, your choice. I just cannot understand your notion of not being able to compare soccer to other team sports.

I like soccer but they don't score that much so I like basketball better. Plus we didn't have a soccer team at my high school because my high school is a suck so I DEFINITELY like basketball better. I have no opinion because I don't go to the game.

I like this soccer thread because some people score a lot and others don't score much at all.

Dayton sucks.

If I understand the current standings, UD men earned the #1 seed tonight with the 4-0 win over Xavier, no matter how they do against Bonnie (make-up snow game). In watching UD/SLU last weekend, I thought the teams were evenly matched. There is so much parity in men's college soccer (unlike women's). Recruiting rankings aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Dayton clobbered UMass in the field of play 2-3 seasons ago in the A10 tourney but lost in PKs. It was a freight train kind of domination. UMass ends up going to the College Cup. Watching UD beat XU 4-0 tonight, even two-win Xavier had some decent skills. The difference between a 14-3-3 team and a 8-9-3 team is razor thin anymore. All in the subtle details. Xavier was up 2-0 on Charlotte a few days ago. Very few upsets in men's soccer anymore. The old days of dominating the game like you did are over just like UCLA basketball or any other team will never win 10 titles in 11 seasons. Winning in soccer has as much to do with chemistry and work ethic and coaching as it does raw talent. On the women's side, raw talent is usually enough.

The one thing you do have going for you is tradition and facilities. Those are tangible items you can sell over other programs. Id like to see Dayton turn their complex into a full-fledged stadium with dedicated seating and press facilities.

Surprised by the UD/SLU women's score. We have a killer defense but can struggle mightily offensively. I think we're in the NCAAs tho no matter what happens in the final.

Ive seen every UD mens and women soccer home game since 1999 except 3. I can appreciate your interest in the game. A10 is not a bad conference. We just need Richmond and URI to get back to where they were 7-8 years ago. UD, SLU, Charlotte are decent every year. UMass can be. Duquesne was a couple years ago.

If I understand the current standings, UD men earned the #1 seed tonight with the 4-0 win over Xavier, no matter how they do against Bonnie (make-up snow game). In watching UD/SLU last weekend, I thought the teams were evenly matched. There is so much parity in men's college soccer (unlike women's). Recruiting rankings aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Dayton clobbered UMass in the field of play 2-3 seasons ago in the A10 tourney but lost in PKs. It was a freight train kind of domination. UMass ends up going to the College Cup. Watching UD beat XU 4-0 tonight, even two-win Xavier had some decent skills. The difference between a 14-3-3 team and a 8-9-3 team is razor thin anymore. All in the subtle details. Xavier was up 2-0 on Charlotte a few days ago. Very few upsets in men's soccer anymore. The old days of dominating the game like you did are over just like UCLA basketball or any other team will never win 10 titles in 11 seasons. Winning in soccer has as much to do with chemistry and work ethic and coaching as it does raw talent. On the women's side, raw talent is usually enough.

The one thing you do have going for you is tradition and facilities. Those are tangible items you can sell over other programs. Id like to see Dayton turn their complex into a full-fledged stadium with dedicated seating and press facilities.

Surprised by the UD/SLU women's score. We have a killer defense but can struggle mightily offensively. I think we're in the NCAAs tho no matter what happens in the final.

Ive seen every UD mens and women soccer home game since 1999 except 3. I can appreciate your interest in the game. A10 is not a bad conference. We just need Richmond and URI to get back to where they were 7-8 years ago. UD, SLU, Charlotte are decent every year. UMass can be. Duquesne was a couple years ago.

Welcome to the board.

Pride. Always reluctant to speak on behalf of others. With that said, I really don't think anyone on this Board expects SLU to dominate like it did in the 60's and 70's. I also don't think anyone on this Board doesn't understand that parity does exist in college soccer today. Instead, many are concerned about setting too low of expectations. SLU has lost its share of close games/penalty kick games as well. Such is soccer. At the same time, I am realistic to know that SLU has probably won a few games (for these same reasons) in which were were outplayed. Believe most want/expect an NCAA Tourney bid each year, continued success during the regular season and iimprovement in the Conf Tourney.

Since you were at the Dayton/SLU game I would like your opinion on the controversial PK call, which resulted in the only goal, and subsequent redcard to Donigan. I was not at the game.

Since you were at the Dayton/SLU game I would like your opinion on the controversial PK call, which resulted in the only goal, and subsequent redcard to Donigan. I was not at the game.

It was one of those situations where the referee had two clear cut options: let the advantage play and not bring the ball back if the challenge fizzles because it was directly inside the box toward the near post and whatever happened was going to have to stand, or not take the chance and call the PK. The referee really had no middle ground to let it ride out and make a more studied call were it somewhere in the midfield. It happened so fast at a spot on the field where a decision one way or the other had to be made in a split second.

Basically UD played a through ball to the left near post to a guy making a run inside the box. The UD attacker took the ball directly on goal and was about 10 yards out at the left post with only the keeper to beat and a defender behind him. With his last dribble touch, he pushed the ball maybe 2-3 yards out in front of him. With the ball no longer directly on his foot, an SLU defender chopped him down with a leg in front of his stride. The SLU keeper was not going to get the ball. The UD guy was either going to get it put a point blank shot on goal that was likely going to find the net or it was going to roll past the endline. From my vantage point, Obviously the referee decided the defender impeded a chance good enough to award a PK. The UD player WAS going straight at the near post from 10yds out, so its not like he was running away or at a goofy angle. I called it a "somewhat favorable" call because I've seen fouls in the box that were 10x worse and not called and some that were 10x softer with a guy with his back to the goal at the corner of the 18 and the zebra points to the PK hash. You just never know with these clowns. I consider any PK favorable. It really could have gone either way.

The SLU coach didnt get tossed right after the call. I think UD cashed in on the PK and Donigan lost his wad and either kicked or threw something against the plexiglass bubble the teams sit inside and if you've ever heard those get wacked or punched it sounds like a lightning crack. So he was going pretty ape on the sideline as the teams were returning for the re-start and that's what did him in. The thing that got SLU was the through ball really caught them off guard and the defender was in a spot where he had to do something rather significant. He couldnt take the chance the UD guy wouldnt get to his last dribble. The Flyers set-up on that sequence was very good. Dayton manufactured the circumstances to get a PK call so it wasn't a matter of the call coming from left field. The Bills were caught very flat-footed on the sequence and I think if they had held their shape a bit better and challenged from a better angle, they would have gotten the benefit of the doubt rather than UD. That as much as anything probably led to the whistle.

It was one of those situations where the referee had two clear cut options: let the advantage play and not bring the ball back if the challenge fizzles because it was directly inside the box toward the near post and whatever happened was going to have to stand, or not take the chance and call the PK. The referee really had no middle ground to let it ride out and make a more studied call were it somewhere in the midfield. It happened so fast at a spot on the field where a decision one way or the other had to be made in a split second.

Basically UD played a through ball to the left near post to a guy making a run inside the box. The UD attacker took the ball directly on goal and was about 10 yards out at the left post with only the keeper to beat and a defender behind him. With his last dribble touch, he pushed the ball maybe 2-3 yards out in front of him. With the ball no longer directly on his foot, an SLU defender chopped him down with a leg in front of his stride. The SLU keeper was not going to get the ball. The UD guy was either going to get it put a point blank shot on goal that was likely going to find the net or it was going to roll past the endline. From my vantage point, Obviously the referee decided the defender impeded a chance good enough to award a PK. The UD player WAS going straight at the near post from 10yds out, so its not like he was running away or at a goofy angle. I called it a "somewhat favorable" call because I've seen fouls in the box that were 10x worse and not called and some that were 10x softer with a guy with his back to the goal at the corner of the 18 and the zebra points to the PK hash. You just never know with these clowns. I consider any PK favorable. It really could have gone either way.

The SLU coach didnt get tossed right after the call. I think UD cashed in on the PK and Donigan lost his wad and either kicked or threw something against the plexiglass bubble the teams sit inside and if you've ever heard those get wacked or punched it sounds like a lightning crack. So he was going pretty ape on the sideline as the teams were returning for the re-start and that's what did him in. The thing that got SLU was the through ball really caught them off guard and the defender was in a spot where he had to do something rather significant. He couldnt take the chance the UD guy wouldnt get to his last dribble. The Flyers set-up on that sequence was very good. Dayton manufactured the circumstances to get a PK call so it wasn't a matter of the call coming from left field. The Bills were caught very flat-footed on the sequence and I think if they had held their shape a bit better and challenged from a better angle, they would have gotten the benefit of the doubt rather than UD. That as much as anything probably led to the whistle.

Thanks for the insight. Glad to hear we were not totally raped. Donigan is fighting for his job so the reaction is understandable.