Ellis IS on campus

TheBand

My *speculation* is that Band's friend asked the player, "Hey, is the new guy here yet?" and the player, thinking he was referring to a recruit (Kelm), said, "Yeah, he got here Thursday."

I completely agree. I think that has to be accurate. I will also say I saw Christian Salecich two or three times over the weekend. You've gotta figure these guys are probably the only two aussies on SLUs campus, and having both played on the same team for so long they must be good buddies and I figured if he was here he'd be hanging with him or the other basketball players who are around here and there. I say no way hes on campus just yet.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree. I think that has to be accurate. I will also say I saw Christian Salecich two or three times over the weekend. You've gotta figure these guys are probably the only two aussies on SLUs campus, and having both played on the same team for so long they must be good buddies and I figured if he was here he'd be hanging with him or the other basketball players who are around here and there. I say no way hes on campus just yet.

Alright we've established CE is not on Frost Campus and still eating barby and downing Fosters in Perth. What we haven't established is why the NCAA clearinghouse, aka Homeland Security, hasn't approved his VISA. Those SOB's ought to receive a call from someone highup to explain themselves. My best guess right now is CE's only shot at playing hoops for SLU would be in the second semester. And what's really scary is someone getting in his ear down under telling him, "hey, you don't need this crap just go pro."

Totally agree i think definately that if Ellis was on campus the 2 Aussies would be close together

How does CS look is he 6`4 does he look fit ,has anyone seen him play in any pickup games and how is he handling it , we have been so focused on Ellis that we have not discussed any of the other Freshman ,its like they dont matter or they dont exist

In other news, I did hear (from that S.O.B., Doc B ) that SLU did get NCAA clearance for a 6'2" kangaroo. Needless to say, mad hops, so vtime should be happy.

It's not a werewolf, but it's a start.

This thread is making me think that perhaps we should broaden our focus to also include sasquatch/yeti recruitment.

This thread is making me think that perhaps we should broaden our focus to also include sasquatch/yeti recruitment.

tough get. cant think of a single recent yeti in d-1 that was a success. most are able to skip college and head straight to the show because of their rarity. the last one i can think of was that big baby davis that played at lsu. but he was never the same after lsu decided he would be better rec'd if he shaved his body. actually kind of surprised the celtics didnt let him grow it back. but then again they are the celtics. tradition and all.

Guest BillikenReport

tough get. cant think of a single recent yeti in d-1 that was a success. most are able to skip college and head straight to the show because of their rarity. the last one i can think of was that big baby davis that played at lsu. but he was never the same after lsu decided he would be better rec'd if he shaved his body. actually kind of surprised the celtics didnt let him grow it back. but then again they are the celtics. tradition and all.

Why did I think of Bryant "Big Country" Reeves when reading this post?

So when does the academic integrity of SLU come into question when we're admitting basketball players into the school in October? I'm not saying we're there but where is the line? Perhaps if athletics are more important we should join the Horizon league like someone suggested previously.

:blink: People really shouldn't respond to this post. Its nothing but someone fishing for a fight.

:blink: People really shouldn't respond to this post. Its nothing but someone fishing for a fight.

Huh board sherriff? It's a fair question and one that's been brought up and addressed in the past. When did it all of a sudden become forbidden to talk about? As mentioned in my post - I DON'T HAVE THE ANSWER. I DON'T KNOW. So I'm wondering what others think.

Huh board sherriff? It's a fair question and one that's been brought up and addressed in the past. When did it all of a sudden become forbidden to talk about? As mentioned in my post - I DON'T HAVE THE ANSWER. I DON'T KNOW. So I'm wondering what others think.

What would happen if a international student turned up in October and wanted to start classes would he/she be told to go away ????

That's what I'm asking. When is the cutoff? Can Joe Blow off the street waltz in and register for a biology class in mid October?

Only if he/she is smart enough and is paying cash. :rolleyes:

That's what I'm asking. When is the cutoff? Can Joe Blow off the street waltz in and register for a biology class in mid October?

Post.

Your question is bogus and proof you are merely trying to start a fight as previously suggested in this very thread.

You already know the normal registration cut off date for someone who walks in to register. That date has come and gone. Are there any exceptions to the normal registration cut off date, who knows and who cares since CE is not attempting normal registration. He has already decided to come to school and therefore is not coming "off the street" and he is not trying to "waltz in and register" late or "for a biology class in mid October." Instead, CE decided nearly a year ago that we wants to come to SLU. Further, he has already applied, been accepted, received an athletic scholarship, been assigned class and dorm assignments and has been in full and constant contact with SLU while awaiting a decision by the NCAA Clearinghouse. He has not arrived on campus due athletic approval/VISA/scholarship/loan issues. Comparisons by you and Tourist as to some ordinary "International student" is merely looking for a fight. If no more stupid questions and fake attempts to innocently ask a question, shut up and go back to Mizzou's board.

Post.

Your question is bogus and proof you are merely trying to start a fight as previously suggested in this very thread.

You already know the normal registration cut off date for someone who walks in to register. That date has come and gone. Are there any exceptions to the normal registration cut off date, who knows and who cares since CE is not attempting normal registration. He has already decided to come to school and therefore is not coming "off the street" and he is not trying to "waltz in and register" late or "for a biology class in mid October." Instead, CE decided nearly a year ago that we wants to come to SLU. Further, he has already applied, been accepted, received an athletic scholarship, been assigned class and dorm assignments and has been in full and constant contact with SLU while awaiting a decision by the NCAA Clearinghouse. He has not arrived on campus due athletic approval/VISA/scholarship/loan issues. Comparisons by you and Tourist as to some ordinary "International student" is merely looking for a fight. If no more stupid questions and fake attempts to innocently ask a question, shut up and go back to Mizzou's board.

When would he have to be on campus to still be enrolled in classes this fall? I am assuming at some point and I would think fairly soon this semester would be lost for him.

When would he have to be on campus to still be enrolled in classes this fall? I am assuming at some point and I would think fairly soon this semester would be lost for him.

Is SLU so behind the times that a student can't keep up with their classes via the internet? :rolleyes:

Is SLU so behind the times that a student can't keep up with their classes via the internet? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't you still have to pay for the classes, first? He's not getting a scholarship to telecourse.

I wouldn't worry about it. He can probably test out of the first half of some of his first-semester courses. Though it was more than 20 years ago, I noticed that my first semester of college was pretty easy, as most of it was just a review of my college-prep high-school classes.

Wouldn't you still have to pay for the classes, first? He's not getting a scholarship to telecourse.

I wouldn't worry about it. He can probably test out of the first half of some of his first-semester courses. Though it was more than 20 years ago, I noticed that my first semester of college was pretty easy, as most of it was just a review of my college-prep high-school classes.

I'm certainly not part of academia, but in my time at SLU I don't remember anybody being able to "test out" of classes at SLU. Even if you could, it's not like you could "test out" of your first semester of college and then not have to take any other classes. If you "tested out" of a class, I would think that would mean that you would simply be eligible for a more advacned class. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it you need to be enrolled in at least 12 hours of classe to be eiligible to play...unless you're a senior and only need a class or two to graduate.

I'm certainly not part of academia, but in my time at SLU I don't remember anybody being able to "test out" of classes at SLU. Even if you could, it's not like you could "test out" of your first semester of college and then not have to take any other classes. If you "tested out" of a class, I would think that would mean that you would simply be eligible for a more advacned class. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it you need to be enrolled in at least 12 hours of classe to be eiligible to play...unless you're a senior and only need a class or two to graduate.

Well, actually, you can "test out" of classes at SLU. I was able to get through in 3 years (should have been 2 1/2 but for a difficult dean who I am now friends with) and a fair part of that was "testing out" of a several classes. I have no idea if this applies to Mr. Ellis, but it is certainly possible.

Well, actually, you can "test out" of classes at SLU. I was able to get through in 3 years (should have been 2 1/2 but for a difficult dean who I am now friends with) and a fair part of that was "testing out" of a several classes. I have no idea if this applies to Mr. Ellis, but it is certainly possible.

Thanks for the info. I still think that CE would be required to take 12 hours of classes unless he was within 9 hours of graduating.

I was able to eliminate 15 hours of college while in high school. Is that what you're talking about...something like ap or 1818?

Thanks for the info. I still think that CE would be required to take 12 hours of classes unless he was within 9 hours of graduating.

I was able to eliminate 15 hours of college while in high school. Is that what you're talking about...something like ap or 1818?

No, no, no... I was talking about bribery...

Yes, 1818. :rolleyes:

You absolutely were able to test out of classes when I attended SLU - no credit was given but the requirement was waived.

That's not entirely true. There were (at least in the ancient days of me and AlumniFan) two ways to earn credit without actually taking the class. One was the 1-8-1-8 program where AP classes taken in high school were worth real, live SLU credits (and transferred to some but not all colleges); the other was taking the AP test. Depending upon the department, you either needed to get a 3 or 4 (or above) and you got both the hours credit and the ability to take an advanced course. I walked in as a second-semester sophomore and never took a single English class (a point of some irony, given what I now do for a living).

Fan clearly had not developed his now-acute political skills in those days. I sweet-talked Helen Mandeville into waiving my honors art credit in lieu of an independent project at the Chicago Art Institute; and the math chairman let me combine a required course and my "senior synthesis" to get those credits out of the way. And 2 1/2 years it was. (A lot of good that did me!)

In any event, testing out isn't being "enrolled," so I'm guessing Mr. Ellis has lost at least one semester of eligibility.

You guys misunderstood my meaning. I didn't mean that Cody would test out of this semester's classes. I meant that I'm sure he, the athletics department, some tutors, and the dean (or whatever position) will sit down and hammer out a way for him to start his classes late and demonstrate, by the end of the semester, that he's mastered an entire semester's worth of studies. Perhaps taking a mid-term, even though he hasn't been attending the classes. They'll do everything they can within reason. But he probably does need to arrive this week.

I honestly believe that if the clearing house is taking so long to clear Ellis there must be some greater issues than the ones that have been brought up in these discussions , i would be suprised to see Ellis before December if at all.

Just my opinion and gut feeling i hope i am totally wrong would be a shame to lose a player of his calibre for SLU especially considering we are in a rebuilding stage and what he would bring to the floor with the existing players and Freshman .

Also tough for coaching staff not knowing if they need to start looking for a big man replacement and were would you find a replacement for Ellis in a short period ,Do you go for a Juco? or just play with the hand you have been given.