Volleyball match

The student section was fantastic. Looked like mostly the freshmen to me, maybe I'm just getting too old. I did spot WR in attendance early on. They certainly go close to 7000 if not over.

I left after the 2nd set though. As a former v-ball player, watching the girls give away so many points with unforced errors was driving me nuts. I really believe SLU was good enough to win if they played an A+ game. But they just didn't have that mental focus and you could see them wearing down.

One other thing I noticed, the scoreboard horns have NOT been fixed.

I was there also and there is absolutely no doubt there were more than 6100 people there. The lower bowl was 100% filled. We walked around looking for 2 seats together 25 minutes before the Bills match and couldn't find anything. The upper level was probably 40% full. I wonder if 6100 was paid attendance.

What a great atmosphere and match. Penn State was clearly the better team the Hodge girl for them and the girl I think #12 who wears the oposite color jersey were the best 2 players on the floor. SLU did have alot of unforced errors especially on their serve. SLU had Penn State reeling in the 1st set coming back to tie the game from being down 4 or 5. The two teams then traded points and the set went to 30-28 or 29-27. SLU had some chances to take the advantage but couldn't find that extra point.

First vball match I've seen in about 6 or 7 years, but I will go again. It was alot of fun to watch, fast with a quick pace and just exciting to watch. I felt myself getting tense in my seat.

The SLU doesn't get a good ref or is it ump deal at home carries to vball. On one play a towel girl ran on the court to wipe the floor right in front of a SLU player while PS was serving the ball to the SLU player right behind the towel girl. If the SLU player had played the serve she may have run into and hurt the little girl. Everyone saw it, but the head guy still gave PS the point. I've never seen anything like it. He also called 4 hits once against SLU that wasn't and called another PS spike in that was clearly 6 inches out, but was right at the guy holding the flag and he was getting out of the way instead of watching and called it out. The ref didn't override it though I can't imagine he couldn't have seen that it was out.

If you haven't been, I would very highly recommend seeing a match. Hell it's $7. for a ticket.

Read Tom Timerman's write up on STLToday. Too bad that the Post couldn't find room to actually put it in the sports page(unless I missed it. Looked three times.) I coundn't even fine the score. Oh well they only played the best volleyball team in the country in front of the largest crowd. No one would be interested would they?

What a shame. :lol:

If you weren't there this is what the atmosphere was like

My daughter texted me to tell me there was just about as many people there than some of the basketball games from last year! I didn't believe her! Hopefully the excitement will carry over to Basketball season! Go Bills!

My daughter texted me to tell me there was just about as many people there than some of the basketball games from last year! I didn't believe her! Hopefully the excitement will carry over to Basketball season! Go Bills!

Trust me, I was there. She was right. Not only were there as many or more than a lot of the Bills games but they were louder too. :lol:

Just goes to show what winning will do for a program. All the marketing in the world (especially from the crack team at SLU) won't do what winning will do.

I would expect the same, if not better, reception for the 20th ranked Men's BBall team should it ever happen.

Trust me, I was there. She was right. Not only were there as many or more than a lot of the Bills games but they were louder too. :lol:

Probably less wine and cheese fans that make up a lot of SLU's home basketball games that don't know when to cheer...

possible attendance explanation-- they didn't scan any student ID's, just flashed them and they let you through. At best, they could have done a rough estimate of how many students there were. At worst, they only counted the scanned tickets.

Especially for the first set, the atmosphere was rocking. Considering that the pep band wasn't there taking up half of the student section, there were a ton more students there than for most basketball games. I hope that the difference maker is that the apathetic seniors have moved on, and the freshmen are very excited about Billiken sports!

(p.s. I hate that the spell checker on the Billiken website says that Billiken is spelled wrong...)

possible attendance explanation-- they didn't scan any student ID's, just flashed them and they let you through. At best, they could have done a rough estimate of how many students there were. At worst, they only counted the scanned tickets.

Especially for the first set, the atmosphere was rocking. Considering that the pep band wasn't there taking up half of the student section, there were a ton more students there than for most basketball games. I hope that the difference maker is that the apathetic seniors have moved on, and the freshmen are very excited about Billiken sports!

(p.s. I hate that the spell checker on the Billiken website says that Billiken is spelled wrong...)

Absolutely wonderful atmosphere - it was a lot of fun. If I had more time, I would probably go to a lot more games. That being said, I am definitely going to try and get to three or four more.

The student section was the best I have ever seen at any SLU sporting event from any year that I can remember. There was no band, so the students filled the entire end where the student section normally is and where the band normally sits and were still spilling out over. There were also about 5 or 6 other pockets where 10-20 students were sitting together.

I loved the "lights out" and spotlight intros for the team. A heck of a turnout and reception for a very good SLU team. Playing Penn State at home was a big draw. If you think about it, has any other SLU team ever played such a dominant team in their sport at home? I couldn't think of another time.

The reception before hand was very nice and they has some very nice appetizers for a nice crowd. I was also greeted by several new people in the Athletic Department welcoming me to the reception, thanking me for my support, and seeing if I needed anything. Very nice!

The women's volleyball program is really doing well. Soccer and Volleyball are slowly becoming premier teams at SLU. It's fun!

Being there last night, even got me more excited to get basketball going!

Did anyone watch the Saintsations routine? They have just about all of their girls back. Since their effort to put together a better squad is in the second year, you could already tell how much improved they were from just last year.

Things are moving in the right direction at SLU. Proud to be an alumnus and fan!

Just goes to show what winning will do for a program. All the marketing in the world (especially from the crack team at SLU) won't do what winning will do.

I would expect the same, if not better, reception for the 20th ranked Men's BBall team should it ever happen.

Why would they even consider doing a promotion like free food? Promoting the team doesn't matter! Sit on your hands and hope for the best!

Geez, getting the students invovled. Pure heresey! :lol:

The atmosphere last night was absolutely electric! I had permanent chills throughout the entire match. I couldn't believe the student turnout! In all my years of going to SLU games in all sports I don't think I've seen such a sight! I also think the fact that their were a thousand screaming little girls in the house really raised the noise level.

They did probably surpass the attendance of some of last year's sparsest crowds like SC Upstate. But its hard to tell how many would have paid, I know my tickets were free. :-)

I'd say the noise level last night had everything to do with what has been mentioned already, the double-its-normal-size student section and screaming little girls. Lots and lots of SCREAMING little girls.

Why would they even consider doing a promotion like free food? Promoting the team doesn't matter! Sit on your hands and hope for the best!

Geez, getting the students invovled. Pure heresey! :lol:

Footes the basketball team did do a free food promotion for the students last year.

congrats to the slu and psu women's volleyball teams for quite a show last night. the atmosphere was electric and the first set was probably the most exciting i have ever seen. i am a slu and psu alum and my wife is a slu alum. we go to both psu and slu sporting events, and i am a big fan of both schools and have been for a long time. i hope that the 2 schools continue their series in volleyball. if you didn't attend last night's match, you missed something special. Thanks to the ladies of slu for their great effort.