Billiken Update

I don't know if you all saw Rick Majerus' message in the Billiken Update email I have posted it below. Here is my favorite quote:

"if Brett can lose weight and get in shape, he will be good, if not he will not play. "

Got to love Rick's candor!

Billiken Update - Apr. 17, 2009

I want to take this opportunity on behalf of the team to thank you for your support this past season. It meant a lot to us. We are especially appreciative of the excitement and enthusiasm you helped generate at the games.

For the most part, I think our team competed and tried very hard. We want to give that great effort because it means too much to us to have your support. Our guys want to bust their butts defensively and I think you are going to enjoy watching this group grow.

Growing is what we are all about. Next year we will have the youngest team in America. Of the 340 division 1 teams, SLU will be the youngest. We won’t have a junior or senior with the exception of Paul Eckerle, who initially came to me without a scholarship. We are trying to do all that we can to put together a quality schedule. Our number one emphasis will of course be defense. We would like to break a little more and go inside to Brett, Willie and the newcomers in the post.

Kwamain Mitchell is a real keeper. He is a great leader, tough, determined and he could be the show. He is going to have a great outside shot and he is a terrific passer. Willie is a project, having only played 2 years of high school ball, but he works at it and gives us an honest effort for the most part. Brian brings it every night and if Brett can lose weight and get in shape, he will be good, if not he will not play. We are looking forward to the return of Femi John, a scholar student athlete who gives his best in both the classroom and on the court. Kyle Cassity continues to show improvements and more assertiveness. He will be more of a threat for us next year.

Again, we can’t thank you enough for your support. I hope to see some of you at the golf outing. Stay the course. We are going to be real good. Go Billikens!

I agree that the letter from Rick was great. I appreciate his candor and I wish we could hear more from him.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

As a player I would appreciate his candor as well. He doesn't play games with your head. You know right where you stand and exactly what you need to do to improve.

I don't know if you all saw Rick Majerus' message in the Billiken Update email I have posted it below. Here is my favorite quote:

"if Brett can lose weight and get in shape, he will be good, if not he will not play. "

Got to love Rick's candor!

Billiken Update - Apr. 17, 2009

I want to take this opportunity on behalf of the team to thank you for your support this past season. It meant a lot to us. We are especially appreciative of the excitement and enthusiasm you helped generate at the games.

For the most part, I think our team competed and tried very hard. We want to give that great effort because it means too much to us to have your support. Our guys want to bust their butts defensively and I think you are going to enjoy watching this group grow.

Growing is what we are all about. Next year we will have the youngest team in America. Of the 340 division 1 teams, SLU will be the youngest. We won’t have a junior or senior with the exception of Paul Eckerle, who initially came to me without a scholarship. We are trying to do all that we can to put together a quality schedule. Our number one emphasis will of course be defense. We would like to break a little more and go inside to Brett, Willie and the newcomers in the post.

Kwamain Mitchell is a real keeper. He is a great leader, tough, determined and he could be the show. He is going to have a great outside shot and he is a terrific passer. Willie is a project, having only played 2 years of high school ball, but he works at it and gives us an honest effort for the most part. Brian brings it every night and if Brett can lose weight and get in shape, he will be good, if not he will not play. We are looking forward to the return of Femi John, a scholar student athlete who gives his best in both the classroom and on the court. Kyle Cassity continues to show improvements and more assertiveness. He will be more of a threat for us next year.

Again, we can’t thank you enough for your support. I hope to see some of you at the golf outing. Stay the course. We are going to be real good. Go Billikens!

Oh gosh, here we go again. Now Brett's family won't be attending his Sr banquet.

This is great. I hope this is a recurring thing. I love hearing Majerus actually talk about OUR team. It seems he's always going on about his former stuff.

And the Brett thing...I hope nobody takes it the wrong way. If you remember, he said the same thing about Barry. And what happened? Barry rose to the occasion and had a phenomenal finish to his career. This opinion of Brett has been posted by just about everybody on the board. He's gonna be damn good when he gets his body together.

This is great. I hope this is a recurring thing. I love hearing Majerus actually talk about OUR team. It seems he's always going on about his former stuff.

And the Brett thing...I hope nobody takes it the wrong way. If you remember, he said the same thing about Barry. And what happened? Barry rose to the occasion and had a phenomenal finish to his career. This opinion of Brett has been posted by just about everybody on the board. He's gonna be damn good when he gets his body together.

I don't think there's anything wrong with RM calling out a player's commitment. It certainly takes away any mystery if he doesn't get much playing time and a lot of posts on here why a player's in the doghouse. I especially like his saying "we're gonna be real good." Hope that's the equivalent of saying, "we're gonna be Utah like good." Hopefully BT takes this in the right manner and busts his butt this summer. Because if he's not willing to the work here a transfer somewhere else ain't gonna solve anything. He seems like a dedicated good kid though and am sure he'll respond in the right way.

Just to add some additional information that was contained in the update that was sent out:

2009 Volleyball Fundraiser

Come out to Humphrey's Bar and Grill on Saturday, April 25, from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.and support our SLU Volleyball team. Tickets to the fundraiser are $20.00 each and you get free food and drink specials. There will also be Mice Races, a silent auction and a DJ.

Tickets may be purchased at the door or from any SLU Volleyball player. For more information, contact Anne Kordes at [email protected] or 314-977-3254.

Add Your Friends

If you know someone that would like to receive the Billiken Update just call 314-977-1260 or email [email protected] and we will add him or her to the list.

The haters will come out in 1....2....3.....

What possible good does it do to stir the pot? Please do not turn a positve thread into a shout-fest.

As a player I would appreciate his candor as well. He doesn't play games with your head. You know right where you stand and exactly what you need to do to improve.

RM could educate his fan support more often.

As a fan and on behalf of future Billiken student athletes I would like to either see more open practices-as in a couple (pre season, actually before exhibitioin games start) where the coach would detail his method of "coaching up" players at the 1-2-3--4--5.

I whole heartedly believe we have the first head coach at SLU who understands and has a staff that can coach all of the positions.

In the past 20 years we have had coaches who mostly could coach undersized players. During that

time Bigs came at their own risk and had to go to Big man camps to get any real instruction. I believe this coach knows what to do at the 2-3-4 as well.

Part of the excitement of being Billiken boosters is understanding the development on new recruits and seeing how they take their places along side our

established players. Let us have more openess.

As a fan and on behalf of future Billiken student atheles I would like to either see more open practices-as in a couple pre season where the coach would

detail his method of "coaching up" players at the 1-2-3--4--5. I whole heartedly believe we have the first head coach at SLU who understands and has

a staff that can coach all of the positions. In the past 20 years we have had coaches who mostly could coach players under six feet four and during that

time Bigs came at therir own risk and had to go to Big man camps to get any real instruction. I believe this coach knows what to do at the 2-3-4 as well.

Part of the excitement of being Billiken boosters is understanding the development on new recruits and seeing how they take their places along side our

established players. Let us have more openess.

I, for one, think it is a shame that we have no opportunity to view the team/new players until the first exhibition game. I understand RM's desire for closed practices and his not wanting the team to have a "midnight madness" type event - not much from a fan's standpoint to see at such an event other than the height/weight of players and their individual talents. I would sure like the return of the "Blue White" game - half the team being coached by 1 assistant coach and playing a "real" game (with refs) agains the other half does the same with the head coach being able to watch the whole thing. Guess RM's closed practice game with Memphis has replaced this event as well.

I, for one, think it is a shame that we have no opportunity to view the team/new players until the first exhibition game. I understand RM's desire for closed practices and his not wanting the team to have a "midnight madness" type event - not much from a fan's standpoint to see at such an event other than the height/weight of players and their individual talents. I would sure like the return of the "Blue White" game - half the team being coached by 1 assistant coach and playing a "real" game (with refs) agains the other half does the same with the head coach being able to watch the whole thing. Guess RM's closed practice game with Memphis has replaced this event as well.

Are they going to have the practice game against Memphis this year? I thought that was a two year deal. Does anyone know if we are doing it again this year? :huh:

I don't think there's anything wrong with RM calling out a player's commitment. It certainly takes away any mystery if he doesn't get much playing time and a lot of posts on here why a player's in the doghouse. I especially like his saying "we're gonna be real good." Hope that's the equivalent of saying, "we're gonna be Utah like good." Hopefully BT takes this in the right manner and busts his butt this summer. Because if he's not willing to the work here a transfer somewhere else ain't gonna solve anything. He seems like a dedicated good kid though and am sure he'll respond in the right way.

Why not a pracitse open to card carrying Billiken members limited to the number of people on your card? What else are we getting for this membership

as this time?

What possible good does it do to stir the pot? Please do not turn a positve thread into a shout-fest.

This coming from the guy who continues to use that signature. You used to be one of the ringleaders who whined about political posts. You have no credibility when it comes to lecturing about "stirring the pot."

This coming from the guy who continues to use that signature. You used to be one of the ringleaders who whined about political posts. You have no credibility when it comes to lecturing about "stirring the pot."

AlumniFan is a solid poster. The last thing we need to do is rehash the "Offseason" board days.

nobody has to wait until the exhibition games to see new players. they scrimmage in pick-up games all summer at the Fetz, and you can find ways to get into those scrimmages if you so desire. Also, sometimes in the past there would be games in the Simon Center as well. the basketball office has been pretty accommodating about telling people when the players will be scrimmaging, without coaches, obviously. Or, you can just ask one of the players. but you can get a pretty good feel for new players by watching some of those.

Usually new players are on campus for at least the 2nd summer session, which begins around the 4th of July, but it may be the Aussies will not be here till later. They still play sometimes during the early fall semester.