SLU versus MO in Baseball

Crowd was around 2500 which made the stadium look really weird. Quite a few students. ****** Mcgrouche usher wanted to throw me out in about the 2nd inning he was uptight I wasn't saying anything obscene. It is free to go to games on campus. It was very annoying that Missouri was the home team for a game played in St. Louis. Since Missouri was the home team the umpires were big 12, I think Joe Demayo was umping third base. :P

Crowd was around 2500 which made the stadium look really weird. Quite a few students. ****** Mcgrouche usher wanted to throw me out in about the 2nd inning he was uptight I wasn't saying anything obscene. It is free to go to games on campus. It was very annoying that Missouri was the home team for a game played in St. Louis. Since Missouri was the home team the umpires were big 12, I think Joe Demayo was umping third base. :P

I thought bills fans only blamed refs in basketball.

Wasn't the score like 19-6. Was that a baseball game or a football game? Yikes.

proof that the ncaa scholarship limits for the non revenue sports are total b.s.

how the hell is slu supposed to compete in the likes of baseball when they have like 13 scholarships to fund a 25 man baseball roster? you start splitting scholarships the student athlete has to pay the rest. so if a student athlete has a choice between state school U 1/2 scholarship costs or billiken U at 1/2 cost, it doesnt take a CPA to figure out who is getting the average student with a 95 mph fastball or the big bat.

plus i am not sure if slu baseball even gets to use the ncaa reguated 13. something tells me that slu wont let all those be doled out. dont remember where i heard that.

another reason that the a-10 is a better fit for slu. most of the a-10 schools in the same boat. mvc is loaded with public schools with much lower tuition and room and board.

proof that the ncaa scholarship limits for the non revenue sports are total b.s.

how the hell is slu supposed to compete in the likes of baseball when they have like 13 scholarships to fund a 25 man baseball roster? you start splitting scholarships the student athlete has to pay the rest. so if a student athlete has a choice between state school U 1/2 scholarship costs or billiken U at 1/2 cost, it doesnt take a CPA to figure out who is getting the average student with a 95 mph fastball or the big bat.

plus i am not sure if slu baseball even gets to use the ncaa reguated 13. something tells me that slu wont let all those be doled out. dont remember where i heard that.

another reason that the a-10 is a better fit for slu. most of the a-10 schools in the same boat. mvc is loaded with public schools with much lower tuition and room and board.

While I agree that Mizzou is always going to have a huge leg up in sports like baseball and you make good points, is it necessary to bring that up now? Everyone knows going in that Mizzou is a bigger baseball program with more money and cheaper tuition for non-revenue sport athletes. And even though the disparity is much greater in sports like that than in basketball, we still played a game at Busch Stadium against them and that is awesome. Haven't we been playing them each season the past few years, too? I think it's great, even if it's almost a certain loss for SLU. I say keep it up, both sides, even if private schools have to keep taking their lumps in sports like this.

SLU soccer team is pretty darn good, and there are only 9.9 scholarships for an 18 (or more) man first team. But your point is well taken.

It's quite common for schools, at least in soccer anyway, not to use the full allotment (or even any of it). Likely the same in baseball.

That only applies to Missouri recruits though. For out-of-state residents, Mizzou's not that much cheaper than SLU (though it is, just not by that big of a margin).

SLU soccer team is pretty darn good, and there are only 9.9 scholarships for an 18 (or more) man first team. But your point is well taken.

It's quite common for schools, at least in soccer anyway, not to use the full allotment (or even any of it). Likely the same in baseball.

this will have some stereotyping undertones, but it seems to me that soccer (at least in the st louis area) is predominately dominated by the private high schools. i.e. those parents are already used to doling out the money so maybe soccer has a little less hill to climb to get the kids to bite off on the premium education value salesjob.

softball, baseball, track, are good examples of sports that are not. and baseball in particular has a lot of next level star gazing that really makes it hard to attract the best players to buy into the need of a four year degree. A LOT of the best high school baseball players will go juco just to allow themselves to be available for the baseball draft prior to their junior year. we all know the problems slu faces with recruiting jucos. especially student athletes that may have not entered college with the right outlook academically.

While I agree that Mizzou is always going to have a huge leg up in sports like baseball and you make good points, is it necessary to bring that up now? Everyone knows going in that Mizzou is a bigger baseball program with more money and cheaper tuition for non-revenue sport athletes. And even though the disparity is much greater in sports like that than in basketball, we still played a game at Busch Stadium against them and that is awesome. Haven't we been playing them each season the past few years, too? I think it's great, even if it's almost a certain loss for SLU. I say keep it up, both sides, even if private schools have to keep taking their lumps in sports like this.

It was definitely awesome to see a college game being played at Busch. As a former Billiken ball player who got to play at such luxurious venues as Forest Park (long before groundskeepers even knew there were baseball diamonds there) and ABC Park in St. Ann, it is great to see the upgrade in the program. Coach Hendrickson has done a marvelous job in such a short time getting some higher quality players and some notoriety - recall they played the Cardinals in Spring Training last year.

Even though last night's game was not indicative of the team's improvement, losing to Mizzou is not a given. I hope the annual series between the two schools continues.

I think the last few years the game has been a "wood bat" game, but last night everyone was using aluminum. Mizzou was home team because they spent the money to utilize Busch.

It was definitely awesome to see a college game being played at Busch. As a former Billiken ball player who got to play at such luxurious venues as Forest Park (long before groundskeepers even knew there were baseball diamonds there) and ABC Park in St. Ann, it is great to see the upgrade in the program. Coach Hendrickson has done a marvelous job in such a short time getting some higher quality players and some notoriety - recall they played the Cardinals in Spring Training last year.

Even though last night's game was not indicative of the team's improvement, losing to Mizzou is not a given. I hope the annual series between the two schools continues.

I think the last few years the game has been a "wood bat" game, but last night everyone was using aluminum. Mizzou was home team because they spent the money to utilize Busch.

It surprises me that Mizzou paid for the use unless your coach got them a deal. They're investing a lot in the baseball program already. They're continuing to update their baseball park (Taylor Stadium). This year they're adding new locker rooms, coaches offices,indoor and outdoor batting cages, more seating and a new scoreboard and video board. Their long-range plan for a "sports park" seems to be coming true.

It surprises me that Mizzou paid for the use unless your coach got them a deal. They're investing a lot in the baseball program already. They're continuing to update their baseball park (Taylor Stadium). This year they're adding new locker rooms, coaches offices,indoor and outdoor batting cages, more seating and a new scoreboard and video board. Their long-range plan for a "sports park" seems to be coming true.

re: baseball if I had a choice between public schools in Missouri probably I would be tempted to go MO State over MO-Columbia so the triple A scouts could get a look if I was a strike out king and the weather is marginally better in Springfield. Except for the vet program I think they are about the same level of students on SAT or ACT scores and we all know that is the real

way to judge undergrad programs-who you compete with as the more endowed schools like Wash U the tenured professors rarely teach undergrads and it would be unique to find a tenured professor teaching freshman or sophs

So did they have a special section at Busch for the Mizzou fans that spend lots of time on the Billiken board?

re: baseball if I had a choice between public schools in Missouri probably I would be tempted to go MO State over MO-Columbia so the triple A scouts could get a look if I was a strike out king and the weather is marginally better in Springfield. Except for the vet program I think they are about the same level of students on SAT or ACT scores and we all know that is the real

way to judge undergrad programs-who you compete with as the more endowed schools like Wash U the tenured professors rarely teach undergrads and it would be unique to find a tenured professor teaching freshman or sophs

So did they have a special section at Busch for the Mizzou fans that spend lots of time on the Billiken board?

Punctuation can be your friend.

You don't think scouts pay attention to mizzou baseball, even without a minor league team?

and your point about the weather is pretty outrageous.

Except for the vet program I think they are about the same level of students on SAT or ACT scores and we all know that is the real way to judge undergrad programs-who you compete with as the more endowed schools like Wash U the tenured professors rarely teach undergrads and it would be unique to find a tenured professor teaching freshman or sophs

Mizzou is WAY better than Missouri State academically.

You don't think scouts pay attention to mizzou baseball, even without a minor league team?

and your point about the weather is pretty outrageous.

I live very near I-44.

A lifetime of watching the weather shows me that the weathers between south St. Louis and the St. Louis airport is gradiently different.

I'll wager many times Columbia and Kansas City are having one part of a storm coming through while 20-50 miles south those storms were missed or

abated by milder winds more the direction of LA or even the Gulf of Mexico instead of the Alaskan dip.

By marginally I mean enough to barely notice. This could mean inches of snow at the airport, to wintry mix at midtown, to rain and sleet at A-B at the most notable extreme.

Watch for yourself and get back to me in a couple of years.

Sometimes we get Kansas City weather in St. Louis; sometimes, we get Springfield weather.

Did you notice this winter St. Louis had a snow storm and Desoto to Cape Giradeau all the way through Paducah got ice knocking down trees?

I live very near I-44.

A lifetime of watching the weather shows me that the weathers between south St. Louis and the St. Louis airport is gradiently different.

I'll wager many times Columbia and Kansas City are having one part of a storm coming through while 20-50 miles south those storms were missed or

abated by milder winds more the direction of LA or even the Gulf of Mexico instead of the Alaskan dip.

By marginally I mean enough to barely notice. This could mean inches of snow at the airport, to wintry mix at midtown, to rain and sleet at A-B at the most notable extreme.

Watch for yourself and get back to me in a couple of years.

Sometimes we get Kansas City weather in St. Louis; sometimes, we get Springfield weather.

Did you notice this winter St. Louis had a snow storm and Desoto to Cape Giradeau all the way through Paducah got ice knocking down trees?

Yeah but just because sometimes it storms in columbia and not springfield doesn't mean that that doesn't apply both ways. They're like 3 hours apart man, that's like saying Carbondale is a tropical paradise.

Also, I'm willing to wager that the weather by 44 is not even one iota noticeably better than the weather by 70, and the fact that this point needs to even be stated is sort of blowing my mind.

Yeah but just because sometimes it storms in columbia and not springfield doesn't mean that that doesn't apply both ways. They're like 3 hours apart man, that's like saying Carbondale is a tropical paradise.

Also, I'm willing to wager that the weather by 44 is not even one iota noticeably better than the weather by 70, and the fact that this point needs to even be stated is sort of blowing my mind.

The fact that you have conceded even just a little bit is marginally better. If you know anyone in Springfield, MO you can ask them how they consider

their weather to be different than the weather in KC. You do realize that I-70, is joined by I-44 just south of the arch about one and one half miles

separated only by I-55?

But if your frame of reference is that Coumbia is the center of the earth perhaps we should discuss Galileo's championing of Copernicanism despite the fact that from the time of Aristotle people accepted that the sun revolved around the earth.

The fact that you have conceded even just a little bit is marginally better. If you know anyone in Springfield, MO you can ask them how they consider

their weather to be different than the weather in KC. You do realize that I-70, is joined by I-44 just south of the arch about one and one half miles

separated only by I-55?

But if your frame of reference is that Coumbia is the center of the earth perhaps we should discuss Galileo's challenging of Copernicanism despite the fact that from the time of Aristotle people accepted that the sun revolved around the earth.

Careful. The Jesuits were mighty pissed at Galileo for this theory. There may still be some at SLU in denial. :)

separated only by I-55?

But if your frame of reference is that Coumbia is the center of the earth perhaps we should discuss Galileo's challenging of Copernicanism despite the fact that from the time of Aristotle people accepted that the sun revolved around the earth.

I live downtown on Wash Ave. I'm familiar with the layout of St. Louis (even moreso, perhaps, than your familiarity with historical astronomy, as it was Galileo who defended Copernicus because of his observation of moons around jupiter and the phases of venus, but i digress).

As far as the weather goes, I understand that there are differences in weather between 1-70 and 1-44 (I used these because of your locale and the airport) at any given moment- however, given a large enough sample size the weather at one end of st. louis is not even remotely noticably different from the other end. Columbia and Springfield just aren't far enough apart for there to be that much of a difference in terms of weather. Springfield gets 44 inches of precipitation per year, columbia 40. The average high in springfield is 67, the average in columbia is 65. The differences are so negligible that I can only surmise that you are basing your arguments on the assumption that "the further south you go, the better the weather." In this case, however, there is too little of a distance for any meaningful differences in the weather.

This talk of weather got me thinking of a related question. Why does the wind blow 10+ mph harder at the SLU baseball field then anywhere else in St. Louis? Anyone who has played or been there can attest. It is brutal and some days it blows in.

I live downtown on Wash Ave. I'm familiar with the layout of St. Louis (even moreso, perhaps, than your familiarity with historical astronomy, as it was Galileo who defended Copernicus because of his observation of moons around jupiter and the phases of venus, but i digress).

As far as the weather goes, I understand that there are differences in weather between 1-70 and 1-44 (I used these because of your locale and the airport) at any given moment- however, given a large enough sample size the weather at one end of st. louis is not even remotely noticably different from the other end. Columbia and Springfield just aren't far enough apart for there to be that much of a difference in terms of weather. Springfield gets 44 inches of precipitation per year, columbia 40. The average high in springfield is 67, the average in columbia is 65. The differences are so negligible that I can only surmise that you are basing your arguments on the assumption that "the further south you go, the better the weather." In this case, however, there is too little of a distance for any meaningful differences in the weather.

I wonder if MO State uses the weather as a selling point for prospective students.

I wonder if MO State uses the weather as a selling point for prospective students.

people in South Dakota swear much of their tourism is North Dakotans coming down for the warm summer like days