CBS COLLEGE SPORTS

AGB91

Did anyone else see the ad in the paper for CBS COLLEGE SPORTS getting added to Charter? It starts today for free and will be added to their sports tier in April.

I wonder why this move couldn't have been made before now?

Did anyone else see the ad in the paper for CBS COLLEGE SPORTS getting added to Charter? It starts today for free and will be added to their sports tier in April.

I wonder why this move couldn't have been made before now?

Yeah, it sucks they didn't do it earlier but better late then never.

I've had it here in Baltimore all year. I guess it is part of an additional sports package I pay for on Comcast Cable.

I've seen tons of A10 games on it this year --- Bills against Temple, Dayton (twice), Charlotte, St. Joe's. Saw Richmond play Charlotte. Temple play St. Joe's. Charlotte early against Appalachin State. Opportunities for more but just not interested or had the time to get involved. SLU women against Fordham too. Man, that was ugly.

The package here includes the NFL Network, the MLB channel, FSN, the Big Ten Network and tons of Spanish-speaking soccer crap (sorry skip). My largest compliant is that there always seems to be way too much in terms of college hockey and women's basketball on them. Although cheering for a team nicknamed "the Fighting Sioux" seems almost naughty in today's day of political correctness.

Getting CBSCS won't mean all Billiken away games are on. Only those so selected. It would not be unimaginable that the same game with the same TV feed could be CBSCS and on a local St. Louis affiliate as well. Sharing the pictures, maybe different announcers. No, dneuner, only upping the television package by the school and some local outlet will allow for more away games to appear locally.

The bad news is that CBS College Sports does not even broadcast the freaking CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT! (According to Dan Cesar of the P-D)

So now I actually have the station (thanks, Charter), but STILL can't watch the conference tournament games.

The bad news is that CBS College Sports does not even broadcast the freaking CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT! (According to Dan Cesar of the P-D)

So now I actually have the station (thanks, Charter), but STILL can't watch the conference tournament games.

Today's women's game is available on the computer, so, I assume, the men's game will be next Wednesday.

-hopefully this is the last conf tourney without complete tv coverage as i would hope the new tv deal would have all of these games broadcast somewhere on a tv station that is available and via the web

-hopefully this is the last conf tourney without complete tv coverage as i would hope the new tv deal would have all of these games broadcast somewhere on a tv station that is available and via the web

What new conference TV deal? I thought the conference was tied up for a number of years. SLU has been hoping they would get some relief on the local package, which is controlled by CBS Sports. I don't think that has happened yet.

Sure hope you're right.

What new conference TV deal? I thought the conference was tied up for a number of years. SLU has been hoping they would get some relief on the local package, which is controlled by CBS Sports. I don't think that has happened yet.

Sure hope you're right.

-i thought this season was last with the entire tv package and next year we would see changes which i hope will also be improvements, does anyone know for sure? i know the tourney championship game changed to cbs but have not seen other announcements

I know. The network does a really good job of covering the games, too. Steve Lappas, their lead analyst, is actually quite gifted at his craft. The overall network, though, is very weak and relies on alot of repeat programming i.e games from the night before. I can't see it adding a cent of value to any cable package, and Charter needs billions in added value.

-i thought this season was last with the entire tv package and next year we would see changes which i hope will also be improvements, does anyone know for sure? i know the tourney championship game changed to cbs but have not seen other announcements

No it's a 5 year contract with alot of frustration and pressure being applied by several schools. Locally, it has even been worse b/c of Charter. Each school is being paid $1million and I have to believe some schools are better off under this contract than they were before. Schools like SLU, though, are in a worse position. With that said, I believe there are efforts going on to improve the 5 year deal and believe that is what we are hearing/hoping about for next year.

charter knows that at&t's u-verse is close to being reality everywhere. thus they are scrambling to better themselves everywhere and everyway. they have added a lot of high definition channels as of late, besides last night's add of cstv, they recently added the mlb channel which for baseball nuts like myself is like heaven. so charter is at least finally trying.

CBS College Sports really sucks. They're also the geniuses who scheduled a SLU-St. Joe's game for 10 p.m. eastern time.

Honestly, what better programming could they possibly have on than the first round A-10 tournament games? Weren't the opening round games televised last year? I missed it, as my wife was in labor at the time.

No it's a 5 year contract with alot of frustration and pressure being applied by several schools. Locally, it has even been worse b/c of Charter. Each school is being paid $1million and I have to believe some schools are better off under this contract than they were before. Schools like SLU, though, are in a worse position. With that said, I believe there are efforts going on to improve the 5 year deal and believe that is what we are hearing/hoping about for next year.

http://atlantic10.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl.../012506aaa.html

-well crap, the link here indicates this contract was signed in jan 2006 and if as you say it is for 5 years we have 3 more seasons remaining!!!

-i sure wish i was right and next season would be better

-also, the link says the espn and cstv releases are attached, but i guess they have expired as they are not there

-why do you say locally it has been worse b/c of charter?

while i join in the group contempt of the a-10 tv contract, let's say that cstv does get on all (at least most) cable/satellite selections and becomes a credible alternative to espn, i can live with that. i have to admit for the first time last night when the station came on charter i was saying to myself "well maybe......"

everyone has to start somewhere. the big east is what it is today because they were espn's first flagship conference when espn was still growing up.

i have to say that our new commisioner seems to be making stuff happen. slowly but surely. the biggest step seems to have been getting the majority of the conference to wake up to a new vision and that happening was signified the day that brenda was shown the door.

CBS College Sports really sucks. They're also the geniuses who scheduled a SLU-St. Joe's game for 10 p.m. eastern time.

Honestly, what better programming could they possibly have on than the first round A-10 tournament games? Weren't the opening round games televised last year? I missed it, as my wife was in labor at the time.

No, I am pretty sure the 1st round was not on TV and watching on the internet.

BTW, the programing on CBS College Sports for Wednesday are all repeats of previous games:

Wed, Mar 11 10:00 AM

CBS Sports Basketball Replays Encore

Alabama @ Tennessee (CBS Encore 3/8/09)

Wed, Mar 11 12:00 PM

Regular Season Basketball Women's Encore

NCAA Basketball on CBSC: 2008-09 Season - Women's - Utah @ TCU

Wed, Mar 11 02:00 PM

Regular Season Basketball Men's Encore

NCAA Basketball on CBSC: 2008-09 Season - UTEP @ Southern Miss

Wed, Mar 11 04:00 PM

Regular Season Basketball Men's Encore

NCAA Basketball on CBSC: 2008-09 Season - UNLV @ San Diego State

Wed, Mar 11 06:00 PM

Alabama @ Tennessee (CBS Encore 3/8/09)

Wed, Mar 11 08:00 PM

Kentucky @ Florida (CBS Encore 3/7/09)

Wed, Mar 11 10:00 PM

UConn @ Pittsburgh (CBS Encore 3/7/09)

There is also a clause in the CBSCS TV issue --- I don't recall where I heard it --- either from TT or this board or some other source --- that says that if an A10 game is on a "bigger" network, i.e. ESPN or ESPN2 or maybe even ABC and CBS, then the A10 wants the game on CBSCS started at a time that does not conflict with that "bigger" start time. I seem to recall this happening with one of the Bills contests ----- maybe it was the Charlotte game.